Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Garden Talk: Strawberry jars

Communities > Forums > Garden Talk
bookmark
Forum: Garden TalkReplies: 2, Views: 155
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Shannon
Raleigh, NC
(Zone 7a)

February 22, 2001
5:31 PM

Post #1626

I want to grow strawberries for the first time this year, but I don't have room for anything else in my raised vegetable boxes. Has anyone tried growing them in the jars with the holes all around?

Amethysta

February 23, 2001
1:04 AM

Post #53760

I tried last year to grow strawberries in a jar. I thought it was more of a pain than it was worth. The dirt kept falling out of the holes, the plants didn't grow very large, and watering was a challenge. (Your mileage may vary.) I did just read about something I would like to try. Take two rows of bales of hay, and fill in dirt in between. Instant raised bed! The hay decomposes, feeding the strawberries.
I think I'll be trying that this year.
Horseshoe
Efland, NC
(Zone 7a)

February 25, 2001
1:40 AM

Post #54105

Shannon...I did two of them last yr, with good to great success...and made my own "jars"...more like barrels. I took some very large black plastic pots that rooted trees come in, put a drill bit in my hand drill that you use to drill doorknob holes and put a series of holes around the pot. (These holes are about two and a half inches wide.) I made two rows of holes with the holes staggered. In the bottom of the pot I put in some gravel for drainage then started adding potting soil. When the soil got up to the first row of holes I inserted the plants, firmed them in good and continued on...then repeated for the upper row of holes. (I should also mention that I took a piece of 2 inch diameter pvc pipe and drilled some quarter inch holes in it and stuck it in the center of the pot. The soil held it in place when it was completely full...I would pour water in the pvc pipe and it would drain thru the holes and send water to the roots.) I even put 6 or 8 more plants on the top of the "garden" barrel. The second barrel I made the same way only when I got it filled I planted a bush tomato plant and a cucumber plant with a trellis on the top instead of more strawberries. It really made a nice addition to the deck. I will suggest you use some "everbearing" strawberries...one variety worked better for me than another. Can't remember the name right now but if interested I can look it up. Also be sure to add some type of plant food as you are potting them up. By the way, I am on the other side of Durham...if it worked here it should work there.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Garden Talk Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Vines for shade Foxglove 27 Aug 23, 2007 2:17 AM
wierd bug problem Ivey 9 Mar 7, 2010 7:54 PM
The ComposTumbler dave 43 Apr 18, 2009 5:06 AM
Are there any plants that discourage snakes? If not, any other ideas? Carol7 35 Aug 23, 2007 12:37 AM
Vine support pole Dinu 11 Jan 13, 2014 1:26 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America