Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Winter Sowing: Meadowycks WS project 2010

Communities > Forums > Winter Sowing
bookmark
Forum: Winter SowingReplies: 68, Views: 463
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 7, 2010
2:58 PM

Post #7611481

Well finally this afternoon I felt well enough to get started with my wintersowing project.

I reason behind ws was I've never done it and I wanted more flowers for my new flower beds and flowers for my garden club plant sale and a lot because I love trying new things. Oh yes, all of the extras will be sold at farmers markets and one plant sale at my home so that I can purchase more sweet peat for my beds. With DH unemployed our money is rather tight so this was the thing I came up with to pay for my gardening this year.

I started out with 129 milk jugs

Thumbnail by meadowyck
Click the image for an enlarged view.

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 7, 2010
2:59 PM

Post #7611483

some more jugs.

Thumbnail by meadowyck

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 7, 2010
3:01 PM

Post #7611489

This is how I did my drainage holes

Thumbnail by meadowyck

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 7, 2010
3:02 PM

Post #7611495

got the pictures in the wrong order...

here is the jug cut in half

Thumbnail by meadowyck

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 7, 2010
3:05 PM

Post #7611501

here is my coil soil that I'm using this year.

Then once I have it in (I'm putting 10 cups in the bottom of the jug, placing my seeds then covering with 3 TBLS of worm castings.

Then tape the jug shut and adding a number to the jug. I didn't want to spend a lot of time writing on the jug not knowing if the writing would stay...

Thumbnail by meadowyck

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 7, 2010
3:07 PM

Post #7611505

I only felt up to doing 16 jugs today as I'm dealing with recovering from sinus surgery which has just kicked my butt this time. I had surgery 9 months ago and then developed scare tissue and more polyps so this surgery was way more painful as the first one I didn't have a bit of pain.

Now when I garden I have to wear a mask... not fun but I'm not giving up my gardening.

thanks for looking.

Janet

Thumbnail by meadowyck

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 7, 2010
3:08 PM

Post #7611508

What I sowed today.

Baptisia
Stokesia
Jack In the Pulpit
Yellow Columbine
White Lychnis
Pink Lychnis
Fountain Grass
Money Flower
Unknown Hosta
Unknown Hosta 2
Tall plant from Outlet mall
Crocosmia
Unknown Hosta 3
Lime Sorbet Columbine
Anonome
Red Hybisicus holden arb.

I'm going to be updated as I get my jugs done and when they start sprouting.

Janet
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

March 7, 2010
3:20 PM

Post #7611532

That's going to wear you out, just doing all your jugs! LOL!

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 7, 2010
3:34 PM

Post #7611560

it did just doing the 16 today, but each day I'll get more done...

I almost hate to say how many total jugs I want to ws,,, but it is 300+. I've gotten some incredible seeds this year and last and can't wait to see the plants and then flowers from them.

Janet

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 7, 2010
5:21 PM

Post #7611731

Way to go! I'm like you. I've had back problems and sinus problems which has hampered my progress, so I've done a few jugs every couple of days and it's worked well.
tabasco
Cincinnati (Anderson, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 8, 2010
4:13 AM

Post #7612431

Great Wintersowing photos! You'll have plenty to do in the next couple months with all those jugs sprouting!

Hope you have speedy recovery.
Pippi21
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 6b)

March 9, 2010
6:49 PM

Post #7617202

What kind of tape did you use? Not familiar with the blue tape. What did you use to cut your jugs? The cutting is so straight. Token on Gardenweb uses a band saw to do all his cutting of soda bottles and milk jugs. That's probably the only saw my husband doesn't own! Beautiful job you've done there. How did you mange to get all the milk jugs? Rummage recycle centers or friends and family save for you or you got friendly with your local Starbucks? Thanks for shaing and what is worm casings and where did you get that idea? I've heard of a lot of people using the very fine vermitculite. It's always interesting the many ways gardeners do WS; what works for one person may not work for others. Trudi gave us the basic knowledge and it's all about trial and error, keeping in mind Trudi's instructions. Good Luck with your WS project. Keep us posted and please keep those pictures coming! Take care of yourself, hope you will be feeling better real soon.

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 9, 2010
7:51 PM

Post #7617378

Pippi

thanks for all your comments.

blue tape was all I had around, it is painters tape...lol I first cut with utility knife enough to get it started and then used scissors to finish up with. It was rather funny how I was able to make it cut and come out at the same point on the other side...

The milk jugs came in reply to my request to my garden club members to save jugs for me. we have 70 members and some of them drink a lot of water...LOL

Worm castings are what is left behind from worms... worm poop... castings are just a nicer way to say it...LOL

thanks for the well wishes.

so how many jugs are you wsing?

Janet

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 9, 2010
7:57 PM

Post #7617398

I use a box cutter to cut my jugs and duct tape to secure them.

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 9, 2010
8:00 PM

Post #7617404

I didn't have any duct tape at the time so I just used what I had wasting away here...lol

Janet

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 9, 2010
8:24 PM

Post #7617483

I've used more duct tape off that roll doing winter sowing the past 2 years than I've used since I've had it and that's been at least 5 years! LOL
Pippi21
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 6b)

March 10, 2010
12:39 AM

Post #7617878

Janet, Is that paint tape going to be able to withstand the outside weather elements(sun, snow, ice, rain)? I started out using duct tape, but splurged and am now using the foil plumber's tape which I love. It was almost $8 a roll but it was worth it, so much easier to apply than the duct tape. Duct tape seems to last forever. We have masking tape, duct tape, clear packing tape and the taupe color packing tape, you name it, it's in hubby's stash.

I have just joined a local garden club that is supposed to have about 66 members, but I have already missed 2 meetings and hope to make this month's. Let's say it's on my calendar for 3/15. I don't like the idea of a night meeting but I figure by next month, it will start staying daylight longer and it's about 4 miles from our house. We don't go out too much at nights unless in familiar territory. That is familiar territory to me during the day time but you know at night, things appear different. It is held at a public gardens location, where there is a nice building and well lit. I am hoping to meet other WS gardeners to live nearby so we can share seeds, or I can learn from them. I have met them through GW and we hope to meet in person soon.

Since we only use 1/2 gal. containers of milk, my stash of jugs doesn't add up quickly. My WS efforts are very minute to yours and a lot of others, simply because of storage issues in/ out. I have used in addition to jugs/ a few liter size soda bottles and styrofoam coffee cups and cold drink cups, and a few other type containers, such a Crystal lite containers, and some bakery containers, and from deli. I have 40 (4 in. square)nursery pots that I can use. In answer to your question, I really don't know how many jugs I have sown unless I go outside and count them.

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 10, 2010
7:30 AM

Post #7618477

Pippi

that is a large group of gardeners which is good, lots of different ideas from a group of that size.

It doesn't matter how many containers you have that you are ws, what matters is that you ARE ws and having fun doing it.

so what type of seeds have you ws so far?

Janet

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 14, 2010
4:06 PM

Post #7629132

Well I felt well enough to get some more containers done today. Here is what I planted

Goatsbeard
Hollyhocks lemon blush
Hollyhocks black watchman
Hollyhocks coral pink
Hollyhocks pink ruffles
Bee Balm Red Shades
Hollyhock chaters double apricot
Sunflower Multi Branching
Sunflower Mammoth
Liatris White
Sunflower Sunspot
Columbine Lime Frost
Columbine Leprechaun Gold
Columbine Tequila Sunrise
Columbine yellow my yard
Columbine blue barlow
Sunflower chianti
sunflower helianthus autumn time
Knautia macedonica
Verbena hastata blue vervain
Penstemon confertus yello
Siberian iris
Flowering Tobacco lime
Cinquefoil monarchs velvet
Larkspur consolida ajacis
Iris epaulette
Hollyhocks Blusing Bride
4 oclock custard & Cream
MG celestial mix
MG Flying Saucer Mix
MG Dark Pink Picotee
MG Fuji Hot Pink Frost
MG Lady Yaguruma Kaleidoscope
MG Indigo Feather
MG Rebecca
MG Kawaii & Sunsmiles Mix
MG Rabenda x Pres Bush
MG Morning Storm
MG Purple Flaked
MG Dracula
MG Kohkan
MG Shibori Purple x gray lady
MG Gray Fog
MG Joyce Cobb
MG Yellow
MG Black Knight & Milkway mix
MG Large Pink
MG Double White

I also jug eyed the others but nothing, which I didn't really expect but since we did have temps in the 70's last week ya just never know. LOL

Janet

Thumbnail by meadowyck

msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

March 14, 2010
4:20 PM

Post #7629179

Way to go!

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 14, 2010
4:44 PM

Post #7629234

You must've been feeling GREAT!
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 14, 2010
4:55 PM

Post #7629257

Lord have mercy ~ you have been busy! Hope all is going well for you and your DH.
I found scissors cut a neater line than the knife I used last year. Just don't lose track of your list of plants & numbers or it will be interesting! LOL
hanseycollie
Cynthia (N. Kansas C, MO
(Zone 5b)

March 15, 2010
8:31 PM

Post #7632411

Wow, Janet, I had no idea you had such a huge project going. I did 170 jugs - haven't done the annuals yet - and thought I was thinking big! Holy cow! I plan to do the annuals when I get back from the New Orleans area - would that be too early - like April 1 or so? I think our freezes are done, or so I hope!

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 16, 2010
7:07 AM

Post #7633088

Cynthia, I'm not sure I would start the annuals for your area that soon, I might would wait another two weeks, just to be on the safe side...

Janet

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 16, 2010
5:04 PM

Post #7634303

well I came home today and with the sun shining I felt well enough to get some more jugs done.

Tonight I sowed these

Vicia Villosa
Delephinium white and black
Potentilla nepalensis
Penstemon whippleanus
Verbascum densiflorum
Heracleum sphondylium
Epilobium angustifolium
Digitalis grandiflora
Aquilegia Black Barlow Columbine
Hieracium aurantiacum
Armeria maritima
Lychnis arkwrightii
Verbascum chaixii
Sedum purple leaves
Andropogon gerardii
blue/purple flower in bed of back yard

16 more jugs for a total of grand total so far of 82 jugs... oh so many more to go, but some of the seeds will not be sowed until late April so that will save my poor hand...LOL

Janet

Thumbnail by meadowyck

podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 16, 2010
5:10 PM

Post #7634313

Janet ~
I am more worried about saving your poor eyeball when you start checking all these jugs for sprouts.
Morning, evening, every day over and over. It is tough!!! LOL

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 16, 2010
5:57 PM

Post #7634426

I've wanted to check the others but I'm staying away, I want to be surprised and find a bunch of them have sprouted...LOL

Yes, will post what I look like after checking all...

Janet
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 16, 2010
7:06 PM

Post #7634592

8 ))
hanseycollie
Cynthia (N. Kansas C, MO
(Zone 5b)

March 16, 2010
8:25 PM

Post #7634775

Jug-eye is called, "Con-JUG-tivitis" - bad humor, lol!

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 16, 2010
8:32 PM

Post #7634794

I have now successfully trained my DH on jug eyeballing! LOL
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 16, 2010
9:11 PM

Post #7634954

LOL on Con jug tivitis ~ good humor I think.

Stephanie ~ it can be addictive. Has he tried it in the dark while shining a flashlite on the outside of the jug?

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 16, 2010
9:12 PM

Post #7634963

LOL Pod! No, not yet, but I'm excited that he's interested in what's growing.

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 17, 2010
7:47 AM

Post #7635775

Stephanietx that is a great sign that he's interested

I've even been able to get my husband interested, I told him to keep his eye on the jugs... but really more for making sure the squirrels leave the jugs alone. They want into everything... so when he gets back from his trip back home to KY hopefully there might be something to look at which I'll put him on Con-JUG-tivitis patrol, rofl...

good one Cin

Janet

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 21, 2010
8:07 AM

Post #7645150

Well this weekend was a busy one.

out shopping at the garden centers and then winter sowing all evening and this morning.

So far I'm up to 116 milk jugs.

Here is what I've sowed.

Milkweed
turtle head?
Sweet Pea
Delphinium blue mirror
Viola johnny jump ups
Shasta Daisy Alaska
Shasta Daisy Alaska
Butterfly flower
Maiden Pinks
Trillium Sulcatum
Unknown seeds
Daylilies
Hosta
Helipsis Scabra False Sunflower
Trillium Atuvifloruu
Trillium Erectum hybrid
Lavender Munstead
Red Daylilies
Red Daylilies
Red Daylilies
Spinach medania
Penstemon tubaeflorus
Knautia Macedonica
Symphutem officinale
Lychnis viscaria
Delphinium white and black
Salvia viridis pink
Schizanthus porrigens
Iris sibirica
Phacelia tanacetifolia
Nemophila maculata
Aquilegia crimson start
Nepeta x faassinii

One thing that I'll be doing different next year,,,

I won't be using milk jugs as it is TOO LABOR INTENSIVE for the number of jugs that I'm doing.

I will be getting some of the storage boxes, the kind for under your bed and drilling holes in the bottom. or maybe smaller ones.

By the time you cut the jug, then put in drainage holes, the label, then put the soil in then the seeds then tape them shut, way too much time when you have a goal of close to 300...

Now if you are only doing say 25 no big deal. And I'm not storing all these jugs for next year... they take up way too much room. I'm going with the plastic storage boxes as they can then be stacked inside of each other which help for storing.

Just my thought out loud here.

Janet
Pippi21
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 6b)

March 21, 2010
8:56 AM

Post #7645273

By golly, there's no stopping this lady! I'm exhausted just looking at those list of all she's sown! Does anybody help you look out for your babies? Token over on GW uses a saw to cut his liter bottles, don't know about his milk jugs but by golly, if you had that kind of saw, it sure would make things go faster. Might be worth buying one. Maybe you could even buy one second hand. Good luck! Oh my, you think cutting/labeling, etc is time consuming and labor intensive. How will you manage planting all of these plants in the ground. Or were you planning on potting these up to sell? You'll have to refresh my memory. Whatever your plans..I'm proud of you! You go, girl!
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

March 21, 2010
9:06 AM

Post #7645295

So, Janet...now that you've decided you're doing something different next year (good idea, BTW), what are you going to do to seperate all the seeds in the containers? Plastic cups?

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 21, 2010
12:55 PM

Post #7645742

Pippi21

moving the plants up to larger containers to me isn't so labor intensive as getting the milk jugs ready, at least I feel productive with a plant in my hand instead of a milk jug...LOL

msrobin

I'm going to put a plastic divider in between each row. then when I divide out, I always lay my soil in water, then the soil drops away and the roots of the young seedlings aren't damaged by you pulling or tugging at them to get them out of the soil.

Janet
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

March 21, 2010
4:16 PM

Post #7646196

Great idea. I like it.

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 22, 2010
4:48 PM

Post #7648763

ok, since we had some good rain today I thought I would check on how bad things might be messed up in the jugs... well to my surprise one jug has greennnnnnnnnnnnnnnn in it... Planted Mar 7th White Lychnis are up... the jug right beside it is pink lychnis so wonder how long it will be before they are up...

I'm really encouraged now...

Janet

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 28, 2010
8:44 AM

Post #7661882

Just went out today to check while I was waiting to bring the collies back in from their morning potty break...LOL

ok here is the white lychnis which are really doing good.

Thumbnail by meadowyck

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 28, 2010
8:45 AM

Post #7661885

Jug eyeing sunspot sunflower

Thumbnail by meadowyck

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 28, 2010
8:46 AM

Post #7661888

Jug eyeing mammoth sunflower

Thumbnail by meadowyck

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 28, 2010
8:47 AM

Post #7661890

Jug eyeing multi branching sunflower

Thumbnail by meadowyck

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 28, 2010
8:48 AM

Post #7661892

Jug eyeing double apricot hollyhock

Thumbnail by meadowyck

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 28, 2010
8:51 AM

Post #7661901

Jug eyeing chianti sunflower

Thumbnail by meadowyck

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 28, 2010
8:52 AM

Post #7661904

jug eyeing gray fog morning glory

these are all that have germinated for 3/28

you can also follow my blog for faster updates, so I hope you will join me there.

http://1meadowyck.blogspot.com

Thanks for checking my seedlings out.

Janet

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 28, 2010
8:54 AM

Post #7661907

ok lets try posting the picture again...

gray fog morning glory

Thumbnail by meadowyck

msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

March 28, 2010
9:56 AM

Post #7662031

Janet, wonderful to see them sprouting! I did happen to notice how neat and tidy you planted your seeds. :)

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 28, 2010
10:04 AM

Post #7662042

what can I say I'm rater anal...

but really I did it to see what percentage of germination I get on the seeds that are big enough to plant in rows. Most seeds that were large enough I planted 15 - 20 seeds in each milk jug. Then I can tell the % rate better. Now on the ones that the seeds are so tiny I just scattered the seeds.

Janet
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

March 28, 2010
11:12 AM

Post #7662176

Good thinking on the percentage! I would not have thought of that.
blkraven2
Wells, TX
(Zone 8b)

March 28, 2010
4:36 PM

Post #7662879

I start my seeds using paper egg cartons placed in clear plastic storage bins.. That way when the seedlings are big enough to transplant I can tear the egg cup off the rest of them and plant all of it into a bigger pot.. during the course of the year while I watch tv in the evening I make 3inx3in newspaper pots to transplant them into. I store them in plastic garbage bags so I have them ready when I need them... By doing this part early Im not franticly searching for something to plant them into when they are ready to transplant.. When Im ready to put them in the ground I can plant pot and all and the root system isnt disturbed.. the nice thing about the storage bins is that as the seedlings grow I can harden them off very easily by removing the lid ..on colder nights or rainy days I just pop the lid back on. Also if you get the deeper boxes the seedlings can get pretty tall with no problem. I dont drill holes in them or anything, they are used as they come. I can get about 30 to 35 newspaper pots in each box depending on how well Ive measured the newspape when I make the pots.. Ive about 350 seedlings ready to go into the ground in a couple of weeks.. this is the second year Ive successfully done this and Im hoping to do even more next year.. I guess Im getting braver..lol.

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 28, 2010
4:39 PM

Post #7662884

blkraven

do you have pictures you would like to share, that would be wonderful. I too have done the newspaper pots. Love them.

Janet
blkraven2
Wells, TX
(Zone 8b)

March 28, 2010
4:56 PM

Post #7662939

okay i ran out and got some pics.. this is my partial set up

Thumbnail by blkraven2

blkraven2
Wells, TX
(Zone 8b)

March 28, 2010
4:57 PM

Post #7662942

the boxes.. you must remember everything has been transplanted into something bigger

Thumbnail by blkraven2

blkraven2
Wells, TX
(Zone 8b)

March 28, 2010
4:58 PM

Post #7662944

most of these were started about 6 weeks ago...

Thumbnail by blkraven2

blkraven2
Wells, TX
(Zone 8b)

March 28, 2010
5:01 PM

Post #7662954

and last but not least my supervisor..if Im outside so is she...

Thumbnail by blkraven2

blkraven2
Wells, TX
(Zone 8b)

March 28, 2010
5:03 PM

Post #7662960

oh and what started me to try seeds.. a garage sale find from my sister..lol... they do work well

Thumbnail by blkraven2

hanseycollie
Cynthia (N. Kansas C, MO
(Zone 5b)

March 28, 2010
5:25 PM

Post #7662996

Janet, you're in my zone - is it too late to WS perennials and when can I sow annuals? Help from one Collie Mom to another! Cyn

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 28, 2010
5:39 PM

Post #7663028

blkraven

love the pics and your supervisor is the best...LOL

Cyn

No go ahead with perennials, I'm still doing mine as I feel up to it and money allows...LOL

I've still got so many to go and figure it will be well into April before I finish them...

great shot of the new addition. We have one as well, Isabella, born 2/10/10. I've not been well enough to go visit but my DH did for me and she is makes my heart double beat to just see her picture. We stay in touch through skype so that does help. Those grandbabies really have a way of pulling at the heart strings...

Cyn let me see some of your pictures of your ws project. How are the ladies who came for the ws party doing with theirs?

Janet
hanseycollie
Cynthia (N. Kansas C, MO
(Zone 5b)

March 28, 2010
8:05 PM

Post #7663291

Janet, I still have so many jugs to go - some perennials and some annuals. I think it'll be mid-April before I get them all out. I wondered since our freezes will be done if they'll still germinate okay.

I'm going to check your FB page to see if you have an email and I'll send you my booklet. Most of my ladies are having some success with seedlings, but it's still early here for the echies, BE susans, etc. They are very excited though!

I'm in master gardener classes now, so am hoping to be able to speak on WS next year once I see success this year, lol!

Here's grandbaby Hadassah Nichols. Hadassah was Esther's Hebrew name (Ester in teh Bible).

Thumbnail by hanseycollie

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 28, 2010
8:13 PM

Post #7663306

Well one thing for sure at least your daughter likes pink, my DIL doesn't so Isabella is usually dressed in boy colors...LOL Sweet one there

Yes, the annuals for sure will do ok and even the perennials, as it is the temps that tell the seeds to germinate.

Janet
hanseycollie
Cynthia (N. Kansas C, MO
(Zone 5b)

March 29, 2010
2:37 AM

Post #7663539

Awesome Janet! I will get them out in the next couple weeks. I'm wishing my echies would sprout but we haven't had much sun lately - this week is to be in the 70's and sunny so I'm hoping!
kqcrna
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 29, 2010
3:56 AM

Post #7663580

Hansey, I saw my first 2 sprouts on ech White Swan a couple of days ago, so take heart- yours should be sprouting soon.

Karen
hanseycollie
Cynthia (N. Kansas C, MO
(Zone 5b)

March 29, 2010
6:16 AM

Post #7663797

Wonderful to hear that kqcrna! I have a ton of jugs with echies, black eyed susans and other really hardy perennials but no go yet. I am excited to hear yours just stuck their heads up! I almost even went outside with a flashlight last night to peek as it was a busy day yesterday. My right eye is swollen from "Jug Eye", lol. Cynthia
clpgirl
Chippewa Lake, OH
(Zone 5b)

March 30, 2010
9:48 AM

Post #7667070

Janet,
What an amazing job you did! And so organized. I'll post a couple pics later of the various containers we used. Out of necessity, not choice! I'm sure my neighbors are delighted. :)

My son came home from college-walked outside, saw the WS, through the breezeway and saw 125 potted lilies for our Lions Club plant sale, and then went into the laundry room, where the little box of mushrooms are growing. He muttered something about Dr. Frankenstein's laboratory...and went into his room. LOL!
hanseycollie
Cynthia (N. Kansas C, MO
(Zone 5b)

March 30, 2010
1:37 PM

Post #7667580

Janet, if you will D-mail me your email address, I'll send you the book I made for my bring-your-own-soil party girls. Do you have Word on your computer?

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 30, 2010
1:44 PM

Post #7667594

Yep sure do but it is 2003 so if you are on 2007 just save it as a 2003 document please...

thanks so kind of you.

I'm liking the coil and worm castings that I'm doing for the WS maybe I should have done that for the inside under lights sowing...

Janet
hanseycollie
Cynthia (N. Kansas C, MO
(Zone 5b)

April 2, 2010
8:43 AM

Post #7674236

Did the book come through okay? Sometimes it'll scramble if the fonts aren't resident on your computer. Photos too.

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 2, 2010
11:19 AM

Post #7674514

yep, it is a little messed up but not bad... thanks sorry didn't reply I just opened it real quick and then was back outside... have to enjoy the weather when we can up here...LOL

Janet

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Winter Sowing Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Winter Sowing Seed Swap .....part 2 alicewho 213 Mar 23, 2007 1:01 PM
Lessons learned for next year #2 zenpotter 256 Mar 23, 2007 7:56 AM
Milk jugs TurtleChi 99 Mar 19, 2007 12:20 PM
WS Poppies & transplant problems marie_ 100 May 11, 2011 4:44 PM
Database germination info bluespiral 6 Mar 5, 2008 12:23 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America