Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Article: Bright Yellow Blooms: Forsythia Sings Spring: Forsythia problems in Texas

Communities > Forums > Article: Bright Yellow Blooms: Forsythia Sings Spring
bookmark
Forum: Article: Bright Yellow Blooms: Forsythia Sings SpringReplies: 9, Views: 64
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
ival
Arlington, TX

March 7, 2010
11:24 PM

Post #7612295

I always loved the Forsythia displays back in Kansas, my home state. But ever since moving to Texas 41 years ago I've had no success growing them. And I don't see many others here with Forsythia in their gardens, either.
The one bush I still have stays alive, but has never bloomed. It's in a rather shady area (very little full sun once the overhead trees leaf out in Spring); could that be the problem?
Aunt_A

March 8, 2010
4:01 AM

Post #7612415

ival,

Forsythia do seem to love the sun. Do you trim the Forsythia at all?

The best place to receive answers about specific area problems is in the Texas forum. I'll look for the link for you. I will post a message in the forum, seeing if any of the Texas experts have a moment to reply here also.

Thanks for reading and writing.
Aunt_A

March 8, 2010
4:06 AM

Post #7612425

I posted a link to your question, asking a Texas person to answer you.

Also, for you...here is the Texas community link:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/f/region_tx/all/

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 8, 2010
4:16 AM

Post #7612432

I am in Fort Worth and there are many Forsythias growing in my neighborhood. I doubt the lack of sun during the summer is the problem since they grow during the winter and bloom late winter/early spring here . Hopefully someone with more experience will be along shortly to help you.
kenboy
Big Sandy, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 8, 2010
5:05 AM

Post #7612481

Sun can be the problem, they like full sun.

frostweed

frostweed
Josephine, Arlington, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 8, 2010
5:28 AM

Post #7612520

I live in Arlington and do not grow Forsithia but i see them growing and blooming in many places, is your plant healthy?
realbirdlady
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

March 8, 2010
5:28 AM

Post #7612524

There's a native, texas forsythia, http://www.wildflower.org/plants/result.php?id_plant=FOPU2 that you might want to try. It's not the same, it's more like a tree than a bush, but for sure it's well-adapted. The birdies love it for nesting, so it's not quite as flashy yellow in early spring, but maybe more interesting year round.

Aunt_A

March 8, 2010
5:28 PM

Post #7614307

Thank you all! You are WONDERFUL!

Aunt_A
3catladybird
Lilburn, GA

March 11, 2010
11:01 AM

Post #7621436

Recently when I asked my landscaper to trim my overgrown Knockout Roses, his employees also trimmed my equally overgrown forsythia, so it won't bloom this year. I'll enjoy others, as forsythia blooms extravagantly in this area of Georgia. I had one in Northwest Indiana that never bloomed well as it apparently didn't like the climate. (I didn't, either!) Can anyone recommend a forsythia variety that doesn't root from every sprawling branch? I haven't that much room and no time or energy for digging up the plants that come up from branch ends touching the ground. A more upright growth habit would help.
Aunt_A

March 11, 2010
4:26 PM

Post #7622130

Hmmm...maybe PlantFiles will help. Here is the search for you:

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/adv_search.php?searcher[common]=forsythia&searcher[family]=&searcher[genus]=&searcher[species]=&searcher[cultivar]=&searcher[hybridizer]=&searcher[grex]=&search_prefs[blank_cultivar]=&search_prefs[sort_by]=rating&images_prefs=both&Search=Search

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Bright Yellow Blooms: Forsythia Sings Spring Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
fond memories Dutchlady1 7 May 5, 2009 11:31 PM
Love and Hate darius 7 May 25, 2009 8:10 PM
An ardent admirer of forsythias. heavenscape 1 May 5, 2009 11:33 PM
We are responsible DianeEG 1 May 5, 2009 11:24 PM
MY FORSYTHIA HAD NO BLOOMS LAST TWO YRS SABELLA 1 May 5, 2009 11:23 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America