-
AuthorContent
lortay
Navan
Ireland

March 8, 2010
2:10 AM

Post #7612344

Is is generally accepted here in Ireland that E. carnea, E. x darleyensis and E. erigena will suceed well in lime soils, just so long as the requirement for all heathers are met, e.g. good drainage and organic matter in the soil. They will survive quite well even on heavy clay with a little help.
The 'RHS Plant Finder' lists about 140 cultivars between the 3 species and they are used extensively here to brighten up the late winter/early spring garden.

Thumbnail by lortay
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Todd_Boland
St. John's, NL
(Zone 5b)

March 8, 2010
5:58 AM

Post #7612599

Thanks for the info! I must say I've seen erica in more limey areas here too and they seemed fine. Calluna on the other hand, don't seem to be particularly lime-tolerant. My erica are just starting to appear from under the snow but Bell's Extra Special is already in bloom!
lortay
Navan
Ireland

March 11, 2010
7:15 AM

Post #7620936

E. carneas are well out here, but we have not had snow for some weeks. VERY cold though and grass has not started into growth or any of the deciduous shrubs. Very wise, I think.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Heaths and Heathers for USDA Zones 4-6 Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Heather On The Heights jadajoy 0 Nov 12, 2007 12:30 PM
Dare I try? melody 8 Mar 9, 2010 11:52 AM
Street cred for heath DonShirer 1 Nov 12, 2007 8:26 PM
If only... grampapa 4 Nov 14, 2007 7:51 PM
Heavenly Heaths NSgarden 1 Mar 9, 2010 11:10 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America