Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Mid-South Gardening: Remember this Wisteria

Communities > Forums > Mid-South Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Mid-South GardeningReplies: 12, Views: 159
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 8, 2010
6:19 AM

Post #7612643

I tried to find my post from last year, when I asked about mending this wisteria, but I must have started 100 threads since then and can't find it. But this thing broke down the center and I was told to cut it back and tape it up.

Well, it's grown back out completely since then, and the tape is still on there one year later. I'm scared to take it off though , fearful that the weight of the wisteria will split it open again.

Is it ok to leave this tape alone?

And since I pruned it back severely last year will it bloom this spring?

It's pink flowering and over 3 years old and no blooms yet. I'm getting discouraged.

Thumbnail by kathy_ann
Click the image for an enlarged view.

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 8, 2010
6:20 AM

Post #7612644

here's a close up of the tape

Thumbnail by kathy_ann

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 8, 2010
1:33 PM

Post #7613667

I don't know the answer to your question. But I love wisteria. It is one of my favorite plants but they don't work in my yard. When I moved here there was a huge mature wisteria growing on the fence but after several years and no blooms, I started trying to figure out the problem. I didn't do any pruning to make sure I was not cutting branches off at the wrong time. The county extension office told me to root prune it by taking a sharp shovel and just cutting into the ground all around the base. I was told some other things that I don't remember. Then I decided I needed a male and a female plant so I bought another wisteria and planted it. The one I planted bloomed some but it was really in too much shade. So after about 25 years of trying to work with it, I just started cutting it back and decided to get rid of it. I still have some of it, you just can't get rid of it once it is in the ground! But in the 27 almost 28 years I've lived here it has never bloomed!!!

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

March 8, 2010
1:54 PM

Post #7613739

I remember you doctoring that baby up--looks like it worked, I have no idea about the tape though !
obbirds
Olive Branch, MS

March 8, 2010
7:50 PM

Post #7614682

If it starts cutting into the tree take it off. If it is stretching some it should be ok for awhile.
You could also take it off and rewarp it and that should stop it from being to tight this year.
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 9, 2010
5:00 AM

Post #7615224

Thanks Kenny, it doesn't seem to be bulging around the edges of the tape at all. guess it didn't grow much around last year, but sure grew all it's limbs back . I hope to get blooms soon, but doubtful

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

March 18, 2010
6:46 PM

Post #7639665

Kathy, check on your wisteria again for possible flower buds. I think I've spotted some (buddings) on mine. We took down nearly a dozen of mine that were planted near the bank. (too much water, likes nitrogen fertilizer is a bad news for Wisteria). They've overgrown and made the back yard a jungle. She we got to take them down. Those in pots however, are making flower buds. Wooohooo.
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 18, 2010
7:09 PM

Post #7639713

I'll check them tomorow, thanks Kim, hopeyour doing well.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

March 19, 2010
12:38 PM

Post #7641086

I'm getting there ... one day at a time. Thanks Kathy. While working in the garden, I snapped this pix of the Wisteria's buds just for you to get excited about the prospect. Temp. is really nice out, sunny today for a chance.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

gardenergail
Bay, AR
(Zone 7a)

April 3, 2010
1:43 PM

Post #7677305

So how is it now, Kathy Ann? :-)
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 3, 2010
3:09 PM

Post #7677510

It's doing great, new leaves all over it, no flowers though, so I guess I won't see any flowers this year. Tape is still there and doesn't look like it's bulging around the tape so I 'm just going to leave it alone for at least another year, I was hoping for blooms but I hacked the heck out of it last fall so I figured I wouldn't get any blooms this year. Suppose to be pink flowering
gardenergail
Bay, AR
(Zone 7a)

April 14, 2010
12:37 PM

Post #7705478

Well, poo. Some things seem to "wake up" after a good, hard pruning. I guess maybe it blooms on new wood or something? At least it survived. Maybe you will see blooms next year?
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 14, 2010
3:01 PM

Post #7705809

i'm hoping for blooms next year

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Mid-South Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Mid-South Gardening forum! Terry 72 Jun 19, 2008 8:48 PM
Why Do Folks Love Living in the South? FlowrLady 174 Jan 21, 2008 1:12 AM
Look at my daffodils! chicochi3 37 Nov 6, 2007 4:00 PM
New to this forum corgimom 40 Jul 22, 2010 11:22 AM
Help!! My Hibiscus is ?????????? elamap 2 May 3, 2007 4:59 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America