Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
soive2000
Austin, TX

March 8, 2010
6:53 AM

Post #7612728

I have two beautiful specimens . And yes they do like to sprout babies, but I found easy to dig out once or twice a year with out harming the mother plant.
My question stems from cutting the leaves as they die off. I had quite a delima and injury initially cutting the leaves till I discovered I could use small hand saw I have. It works great, but I am just curious if there is something better or if I am hurting them? My neighbors do the same and their plant is older than mine.

Thank you again,

palmbob

palmbob
Acton, CA
(Zone 8b)

March 8, 2010
7:18 AM

Post #7612789

they make curved blades that are more like razors than saws, though still corrugated, just for cutting succulent leaves. I see them for sale at cactus/succulent shows. Saws get caught up in the fibrous leaves and end up not quite cutting all the way through the leaves sometimes leaving strong strings of fiber still attached... makes for a messy looking cut.
hank9a
Palm Coast, FL

March 9, 2010
8:45 PM

Post #7617570

Watch yourself when cutting agaves. The sap contains minute, sharp crystals of oxalic acid which can penetrate the skin causing painful and extensive rashes. Keep skin covered ; wear glasses . I speak from painful personal experience.
soive2000
Austin, TX

March 16, 2010
4:36 AM

Post #7632798

Thank you both for your help.
stevelvv
San Diego, CA
(Zone 10a)

December 3, 2012
6:32 AM

Post #9348499

It's a labor of love with these plants, isn't it? Planted this specimen over 15 yrs. ago in an area next to a walkway, so have to keep it trimmed back. Once you control the pups at the base, it becomes easier to maintain with regular attention. I have learned to be very careful and work slowly, to avoid cuts and stab wounds. The cut leaf sections do tend to turn downward and shrivel over time, so it heals naturally. There were several very large pups at the base, coming out horizontally. Keep wondering if this plant is going to bloom.

Thumbnail by stevelvv
Click the image for an enlarged view.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Introduction to Agaves Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
And what an obsession it is! podster 11 Oct 20, 2007 1:16 AM
podster and palmbob ceeadsalaskazone3 0 Oct 19, 2007 1:23 PM
great article-thanks dreamingflowers 5 Dec 7, 2012 9:26 PM
Thx from a Newbie - ? Agaves vs Yucca ? HoustonRick 1 Oct 22, 2007 7:32 PM
Plant names, genus effjayy101 1 Jun 1, 2008 3:23 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America