Photo by Melody

Beginner Vegetables: Can I start all of my seeds indoors?

Communities > Forums > Beginner Vegetables
bookmark
Forum: Beginner VegetablesReplies: 17, Views: 177
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
roxy82
Indianapolis, IN

March 8, 2010
1:26 PM

Post #7613641

I bought the biodegradable trays with lids...can I start all of my seeds indoors? I thought it would be a good idea but then i thought maybe somethings do worse if you start them inside.
I have the following seeds
green peppers
cherry tomatoes
watermelon
cucumbers
peas
green beans
broccoli
beets
cantaloupe

so is it ok to start all of them in the starter trays or are there some that should not be started inside???any advice would be great thank you!
Xavier2
Petersburg, VA

March 8, 2010
1:30 PM

Post #7613658

I think you can start them all except the peas. Peas don't seem to like to be moved; however, I would try anyway. Everyone told me that I couldn't start corn inside, but I put the seeds in biodegradable pots, never disturbed the roots and grew a beautiful crop of silver queen corn. So Good Luck.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

March 8, 2010
1:38 PM

Post #7613684

Roxy82,
If it's still cold where you are, you might wanna explore the Winter Sowing forum before you start your seeds inside...

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1072154/

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

March 8, 2010
2:01 PM

Post #7613760

roxy - you can start all those seeds inside easily except the peas and beans. They do best direct seeded in the garden in my opinion. Peas as soon as the soil can be worked and beans once the soil temp is up a bit - they will rot if planted in cold soil. Not too sure about beets as I've always planted them directly in the garden.

I direct seed everything except tomatoes and peppers and sometimes eggplant (and I have direct seeded all of them successfully before). It's best to start those seeds 6-8 weeks before your last frost date.

As Linda mentions, winter sowing is definitely an option to look into...
tarheel2az
Tonto Basin, AZ

March 8, 2010
2:11 PM

Post #7613787

Think I'll have a go at the watermelons and cantaloupe seedling inside. Maybe get a couple weeks head start over directly seeded plants and spread the harvest out some.

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

March 8, 2010
2:18 PM

Post #7613804

Frank, you're a bit cooler than here so I think that might work out excellent for you. They germinate pretty fast inside and do grow rather quickly;o) Two or three weeks would give you a nice head start.
Cris316
Port Norris, NJ
(Zone 7b)

March 8, 2010
3:07 PM

Post #7613918

Roxy, I start all indoors except root veggies. For the beans & peas
which don't like to be transplanted I start them individually in a small
peat pot - then just put it all in the ground.
tarheel2az
Tonto Basin, AZ

March 9, 2010
5:48 AM

Post #7615367

locakelly, when do you usually seed your melons?

Frank

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

March 9, 2010
8:51 AM

Post #7615848

Frank, I can direct seed them now through July or set out transplants. Last year I transplanted some mid-February...
yehudith
silver spring, MD
(Zone 7a)

March 9, 2010
11:21 AM

Post #7616184

Last year I seeded my beans inside and they did wonderfully. I like to use the little grow plugs. You know those little expandable growing pellets. You can plant them directly in the soil without disturbing the roots. I too have read that you can't seed corn inside and I've found tht does fine aswell.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

March 9, 2010
11:32 AM

Post #7616212

Kelly,
Sounds like the gate's open for us to start sowing seeds any and everywhere! Inside, outside, peat pots, direct sow.

Just do it, right? NOW, right?

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

March 9, 2010
12:33 PM

Post #7616324

Gymgirl wrote:Just do it, right? NOW, right?

You got it!

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

March 9, 2010
12:34 PM

Post #7616328

Yippee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"Jumping up and down clapping hands SMILEY!!!!"
k3n
Monroe, WA
(Zone 8a)

March 11, 2010
3:23 PM

Post #7621988

I have started sweet corn and peas inside using the small expandable peat pot things from Jiffy. Or alternately, use the peat or coconut coir little pots that you put potting soil in to start plants indoors and then plant the whole pot into the ground when the time comes.

I just transfered some sprouting lentil seedlings from one container to a larger because I was just testing if they were viable but then decided to keep them for a crop and I messily did this (it was disastrous)...the single tap roots all got extremely disturbed. The larger container I will leave them in and put the container outside when it gets warmer. However, though I completely disturbed the roots of these barely sprouted lentils, they have not skipped a beat in their final container. So, this and other things I have experienced with them, tells me that lentils are more tough and resilient than most other beans and peas.

When I sprouted Little Marvel Peas indoors last year I used the Jiffy peat pellets and thus did not have root disruption and so I do not know how well they would hold up if I did to them as I just did my lentils. LOL

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

March 11, 2010
11:09 PM

Post #7623046

I transplanted Wando peas from the WSed milk jugs 2 the raised bed. Aside from a little yellowing (no clue) they're doing great. Ready to start climbing the trellis. I also have Little Marvel peas planted last weekend in milk jugs. I'm gonna transplant them 2 the raised bed this Saturday.

You mean I'm not supposed th transplant them??!
Lookie!

Thumbnail by Gymgirl
Click the image for an enlarged view.

yehudith
silver spring, MD
(Zone 7a)

March 12, 2010
7:51 AM

Post #7623514

Everything I've read says not to do corn, peas or beans, cause they put out a long tap root. I'm so glad I was doing the transplant thing before I read this. I find that's the secret to keeping a full garden. I'm always starting something during the season so I can just drop it in an empt hole when I have one. One year before we had kids I actually fed my husband and me from a 10x10 raised bed by doing this. I'd really love to get back to doing that.

My beans, okra, some peppers, and tomatoes came up today. I'm going to start some lacinato kale, broccoli and lettuce this am. My cold frame is really hopping (just put it in sunday) I've got hanging strawberries, kale, alsorts of chinese green, and peas in there that I'm going to put out this weekend.

Thumbnail by yehudith
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

March 12, 2010
9:23 AM

Post #7623706

Yehudith,
That cold frame looks inviting. Where'd you order it from?

I'm looking at the design, and think I could use my industrial sewing machine to make one.

So, you're sowing seeds now, huh?

I have about 60 tomato plants in 16 oz. Red solo cups, sitting out in the sunshine today. They were up potted halfway last weekend, and I topped them off with MG potting mix/Coco Coir last night. Just trying to get them big enough now to offer to my co-workers for $1-1.50/apiece. I just wanna break even on my outlay and have a bit left over for my own gardening supplies this and next season.

My WSedbell pepper seedlings are 10" tall under the fluorescents, and I can see at least 2 flowerbuds in the mix! I have 37 bells, and they're going out this weekend on a hardening off field trip!

Hugs!

Linda
yehudith
silver spring, MD
(Zone 7a)

March 12, 2010
10:59 AM

Post #7623895

I'm growing under an HID and daylight floresents. Anything that has to be held til warm weather goes under HID. Cool weather go under florsents until I can get them in the cold frame. I got the cold frame from Gardeners supply. Talk about evil minds. I was an historical costume historian, read I made historical reproduction garments for museums. Anyway, I was thinking the same thing. Only, its offered at such a reasonable price, and I make all my daughter's clothes, that its stupid for me to make my own. I saw hoop house instructions on Gardedgirl.com that I think I'm going to try. I can't wait to get the lacinato kale going. Its so nutricious and so expensive. I'm growing fenel as well. I plan for every bit of sun in my back yard to be used as food growing space. I have to check my covenents to see if I can squeeze in a few ornamental fowl.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Vegetables Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Vegetables forum! dave 24 Mar 24, 2013 6:54 PM
Tomato problems jkehl 40 Oct 15, 2010 1:06 PM
starting a vegie garden wilflower 28 May 24, 2012 2:38 PM
Nasturtiums and squash? Terry 41 Mar 24, 2007 8:07 PM
Bees Please jkehl 95 Apr 7, 2013 7:37 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America