Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

Jug eyeball...

Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

Help!!?! ...it's a wintersowing disease. I feel like I have developed "jug eyeball" from peering into those milk jugs morning and night looking for any hint of green! I strain to see if it is a slimy green piece of perlite or a real sprout ~ lol
I am so ready for springtime.

I heard one treatment will be to find out what sprouts first in the jugs. This weekend I saw the first hints of green here.

It was a tie between the Huisache daisy seeds a friend shared and the vintage package of Dill Bouquet which I sowed.

What has sprouted right before your jug eyeball???

Thumbnail by podster
Conneaut, OH(Zone 5a)

Nothing yet.Which is normal here in the snow belt.But it does not keep me from "jug eyeball".Edge

Sounds like you will be suffering this affliction for a bit longer... sorry!

I feel like I get eyestrain just looking. When I get home from work it is dark already. But... I find I can see the inside well when I shine a flashlight on the outside of the jug while I "eyeball" in the peephole. 8 ))

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

LOL Pod! I experienced the malady this evening as I was checking my jugs. My sweet pea seeds were the first to sprout, followed by Borage and some zinnias.

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

Oh I just love your Jug eyeball term..... I'm hooked on it now....

I've not gotten it yet as I'm just now getting my jugs out. We are still in winter although this week we are getting a break and will be above freezing for most of the week, at least during the day anyway...LOL

Janet

Girl ~ as many jugs as you are planning you be careful!!! You will have to have help "eyeballing" all of those when they are planted. Have you recovered from your surgery enough to being doing that?

Stephanie ~ doesn't it make you feel fonder of whatever choses to bless you with the first seedlings. I love them all the more!

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Yep! I planted some radish seeds last week (direct sown). They're already coming up, helped by all the rain we've had the past 2 days, I'm sure.

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

my reward is the ws. some days I'm not up to it but on the days I am, I do a few and quit and feel good that I'm finally started.

DH put drainage holes in 25 jugs for me yesterday. Don't I have a sweetie. I think he is a little interested to see how this experiment works out....LOL

yes I'll have eye ring from all the jug eyeballing I will be doing.....Hows that for a sentence...LOL

Janet

LOL and you DO have a sweetie! I think you will both be pleasantly surprised. You may not get all those jugs done but they will keep till next year. Off to eyeball those jugs impatiently!

Marquez, TX(Zone 8b)

Jug eyeball...lol. Yup, been doin' it all winter. Finally starting to see some green (other that the pearlite). I think I know all the green pearlite pieces by heart now.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

LOL Dennis! It is funny to get excited about green in the jug only to realize that it's perlite!

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

yall are giving me a good laugh.....

Janet

SE Houston (Hobby), TX(Zone 9a)

I had the disease early on in the season! Morning and evening, and in the dark with a flashlight!

Thumbnail by Gymgirl
Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Linda, what's in your jug?

Here's my sweet peas this morning.

Thumbnail by stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Borage

Thumbnail by stephanietx
Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

you tx folks are so lucky....
but today we have 57 degrees in the north pole, or at least that is what I call living in northern ohio......

love the jugeye pics

Janet

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Janet, remember, in summer, when the Texan gardeners are frying right along with their plants, we won't be envious of their weather.

Karen

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

that is the only saving grace of living in the north, the summers are the most incredible summers ever. Most of the time I'm even still wearing sweatshirts in the summer here.

Janet

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

And don't forget that you also have 4 real seasons. We don't!

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

yes, winter, cold, spring, cold, summer, warm, fall, cold.

yep we sure do......

no, all kidding aside, I do enjoy the changing of the leaves.

But let me tell you there is nothing as beautiful as the leafs in eastern TX, I had family in Reklaw and the fall was just incredible there along with the weather.

Janet

Well... we had one of those soggy but incredible days today. The sun shone and it was delightfully warm. Of course it was a day at work for me. But tonight I grabbed the flashlight and ran out to peek in the jugs. I cannot believe the dill germination. I seeded that jug heavily as the seed was so vintage. Amazing how viable it was. Only one new sprout and it was in the fall orange cosmos container. Grrrrr!!! I just knew the sun and warm would cause them to pop.

Janet, your turn will come... we will laugh when you suffer this malady! I promise... 8 )

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

I know and I'm looking forward to it, provided the squirrels leave them alone.... DH said one of them was nosing around the jugs this afternoon.

We had temps in the 60's today, can yall believe it, at lunch it was so warm I actually took my coat off and was outside without it..... such a renewing day, with sun all day long and warmth... I never get tried of the two.

Janet

Wells, TX(Zone 8b)

I will admit living in TX right now has Ohio beat.It was in the mid 70s today and I was out in a tank top and jeans. Im a native Daytonian and come summer Ill be wishing for the not so hot, less humidity of an Ohio summer!!

How long have you been in TX? Reason I'm asking is I was told the blood thins out and I believe it does. I stay cold in the winter nowdays.

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

guess what for the second straight day we hit above 60..... not as much sun today, but the warmth made up for the lack of sunshine....

Janet
edited to correct word

This message was edited Mar 10, 2010 11:12 PM

Isn't that a nice hint of springtime! Wish I could have been outside to enjoy it a bit.

Wells, TX(Zone 8b)

Podster.. I lived in ohio for 20 yrs then moved to MI for 25 yrs,lived all over the syate of Mi then moved back to Oh for 3 yrs.. then it was off to Az for 3 yrs.. Ive been in Tx for 3 going on 4 yrs now..
Im a gypsy!!!...lol..

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

blkraven

I've been from the east coast to the west coast and it wasn't until I was 30 and married the best man in the world that I stayed put for 18 years and we would have still been there had it not been for him losing his job to mexico and so we are in no. Ohio now but this job laid him off last June so we are waiting the game to see where we go next.....LOL I've got my request in for a warmer climate...LOL KY is beautiful but so humid and hot in the summer, I'm a native Floridian so any state by the water is cool with me...LOL

Janet

Wells, TX(Zone 8b)

I spent many a summer on lake cumberland, dale hollow and laural lake in ky and TN..try east tx for hot and humid in the summer..lol. No comparison.. trust me on this one...lol... My first summer after I moved from az it felt like I was breathing water everytime I went out side.. I left a area that considered 13% humity very high to 98% thats not unusal.. I learned after moving to tx that you can have 100% humidity and it not rain...lol.

Aha! You too... we lived in AZ for 4 years before moving to east TX. I agree on the humidity but my gills have developed and I love the summers. On any terms, I would be hard pressed to move too far north. When I consider moving south, I think about having to learn a new language at this age. Grrrr!

Janet ~ good luck with your husbands' jobs prospects. Tough times to be in the market I suspect. Although the TX economy doesn't seem to suffer as much this time.

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

Podster good to hear that my sweet Texas isn't having to rough of a time. I love east Texas my aunt and uncle lived in Reklaw and had 30 acres, and the most wonderful place and home there, wish I could buy it back from the people my aunt sold to. nice quite place.

Yes I hear ya on a new language.....

Janet

I am happy to report... ta da.... my eyeball spotted newly sprouted wintersown seedlings tonight! I will have Mule Team and Hong Yuen tomatoes. 8 ))

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

well cool beans..... or maybe that should be cool maters......

Janet

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Hey Pod~I found 3 mater jugs sprouting this morning! Looks like it's not too late for maters after all! These were jugs I'd moved into the enclosed sunroom, so on warm days it gets plenty hot in there. The rest are sitting on the concrete slab out my back door. I put them there thinking the sun would warm the concrete and also warm them from the top and they'd sprout faster, but nooooooooo!! The inside ones are sprouting before the outside jugs. Guess I'll be moving all of them inside.

Westborough, MA(Zone 5b)

I've been lurking and keeping my jug eye under control until this past week...To my shock I came home from work today to find that a few bachelor's buttons and african daisies and several alyssum have popped up overnight. I wasn't anticipating them to pop up so early! I'm now left with the question--if the containers dry out and I need to provide a little water, should I worry about watering from the top and getting mildewy plants?

I think I'll pop a tarp over them tonight since it's supposed to drop into the lower 20s here as a precaution. Oh, and I think my neighbor was getting suspicious of my increasing number of suspicious packages...he just warily came over and asked what I was doing with all of them =X.

Thumbnail by runnerboy713
Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

runnerboy

all I plan to do with mine when the temps drop is just put the top back on the milk jug. I'm not going to cover them. With the top on it will act just like a green house and build up warm humidity that should take care of the seedlings.

Janet

Cool beans it is! LOL But Janet, don't forget to pop the caps in the daytime or they will roast.

Runnerboy ~ can you open the edge and water from there? I have also wondered if these containers (with the appropriate drain holes) could be set in a few inches of water and let it absorb it from the bottom maybe. I lost some sprouted containers to frost last year as I didn't think about closing the jugs or covering. Now, I will move them in just in case.
Sounds like you need to get your neighbor hooked on gardening/wintersowing too... lol

Tonight more maters, Porter, Druzba & Homestead. So I'm curious... all the mater seeds were planted at the same time in identical jugs, soil, moisture, sunlight, etc. Are there different tomato germinating times? I still have some different ones being "jug eyeballed" with no hint of green yet. Stephanie ~ are all yours the same cultivars? Or different?

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

I also had more maters tonight in some of the outside jugs. All of my maters are different cultivars.

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

I'm starting my maters inside tomorrow after I return from an all day master gardener workshop. 2 classes in the morning lunch and 2 classes in the afternoon.

I went last year to this and it was wonderful. I've got 6 other garden club buddies going also tomorrow.

Janet

Conneaut, OH(Zone 5a)

Taking Monday off work.Calling in sick.I am going to tell them,I have "jug eyeball" and can't work.Edge

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.