Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Winter Sowing: Jug eyeball...

Communities > Forums > Winter Sowing
bookmark
Forum: Winter SowingReplies: 49, Views: 245
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 8, 2010
1:58 PM

Post #7613750

Help!!?! ...it's a wintersowing disease. I feel like I have developed "jug eyeball" from peering into those milk jugs morning and night looking for any hint of green! I strain to see if it is a slimy green piece of perlite or a real sprout ~ lol
I am so ready for springtime.

I heard one treatment will be to find out what sprouts first in the jugs. This weekend I saw the first hints of green here.

It was a tie between the Huisache daisy seeds a friend shared and the vintage package of Dill Bouquet which I sowed.

What has sprouted right before your jug eyeball???

Thumbnail by podster
Click the image for an enlarged view.

edgeoftheworld
Conneaut, OH
(Zone 5a)

March 8, 2010
4:31 PM

Post #7614127

Nothing yet.Which is normal here in the snow belt.But it does not keep me from "jug eyeball".Edge
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 8, 2010
5:23 PM

Post #7614284

Sounds like you will be suffering this affliction for a bit longer... sorry!

I feel like I get eyestrain just looking. When I get home from work it is dark already. But... I find I can see the inside well when I shine a flashlight on the outside of the jug while I "eyeball" in the peephole. 8 ))

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 8, 2010
5:31 PM

Post #7614314

LOL Pod! I experienced the malady this evening as I was checking my jugs. My sweet pea seeds were the first to sprout, followed by Borage and some zinnias.

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 8, 2010
5:35 PM

Post #7614323

Oh I just love your Jug eyeball term... I'm hooked on it now...

I've not gotten it yet as I'm just now getting my jugs out. We are still in winter although this week we are getting a break and will be above freezing for most of the week, at least during the day anyway...LOL

Janet
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 8, 2010
5:55 PM

Post #7614379

Girl ~ as many jugs as you are planning you be careful!!! You will have to have help "eyeballing" all of those when they are planted. Have you recovered from your surgery enough to being doing that?

Stephanie ~ doesn't it make you feel fonder of whatever choses to bless you with the first seedlings. I love them all the more!

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 8, 2010
7:43 PM

Post #7614652

Yep! I planted some radish seeds last week (direct sown). They're already coming up, helped by all the rain we've had the past 2 days, I'm sure.

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 9, 2010
4:31 AM

Post #7615156

my reward is the ws. some days I'm not up to it but on the days I am, I do a few and quit and feel good that I'm finally started.

DH put drainage holes in 25 jugs for me yesterday. Don't I have a sweetie. I think he is a little interested to see how this experiment works out...LOL

yes I'll have eye ring from all the jug eyeballing I will be doing...Hows that for a sentence...LOL

Janet
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 9, 2010
4:46 AM

Post #7615192

LOL and you DO have a sweetie! I think you will both be pleasantly surprised. You may not get all those jugs done but they will keep till next year. Off to eyeball those jugs impatiently!
dennist
Marquez, TX
(Zone 8b)

March 9, 2010
5:46 AM

Post #7615361

Jug eyeball...lol. Yup, been doin' it all winter. Finally starting to see some green (other that the pearlite). I think I know all the green pearlite pieces by heart now.

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 9, 2010
6:52 AM

Post #7615505

LOL Dennis! It is funny to get excited about green in the jug only to realize that it's perlite!

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 9, 2010
7:39 AM

Post #7615648

yall are giving me a good laugh...

Janet

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

March 9, 2010
9:08 AM

Post #7615885

I had the disease early on in the season! Morning and evening, and in the dark with a flashlight!

Thumbnail by Gymgirl

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 9, 2010
9:11 AM

Post #7615894

Linda, what's in your jug?

Here's my sweet peas this morning.

Thumbnail by stephanietx

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 9, 2010
9:12 AM

Post #7615897

Borage

Thumbnail by stephanietx

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 9, 2010
10:48 AM

Post #7616111

you tx folks are so lucky...
but today we have 57 degrees in the north pole, or at least that is what I call living in northern ohio...

love the jugeye pics

Janet
kqcrna
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 9, 2010
1:06 PM

Post #7616428

Janet, remember, in summer, when the Texan gardeners are frying right along with their plants, we won't be envious of their weather.

Karen

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 9, 2010
1:50 PM

Post #7616531

that is the only saving grace of living in the north, the summers are the most incredible summers ever. Most of the time I'm even still wearing sweatshirts in the summer here.

Janet

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 9, 2010
2:11 PM

Post #7616573

And don't forget that you also have 4 real seasons. We don't!

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 9, 2010
5:19 PM

Post #7616985

yes, winter, cold, spring, cold, summer, warm, fall, cold.

yep we sure do...

no, all kidding aside, I do enjoy the changing of the leaves.

But let me tell you there is nothing as beautiful as the leafs in eastern TX, I had family in Reklaw and the fall was just incredible there along with the weather.

Janet

podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 9, 2010
5:36 PM

Post #7617036

Well... we had one of those soggy but incredible days today. The sun shone and it was delightfully warm. Of course it was a day at work for me. But tonight I grabbed the flashlight and ran out to peek in the jugs. I cannot believe the dill germination. I seeded that jug heavily as the seed was so vintage. Amazing how viable it was. Only one new sprout and it was in the fall orange cosmos container. Grrrrr!!! I just knew the sun and warm would cause them to pop.

Janet, your turn will come... we will laugh when you suffer this malady! I promise... 8 )

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 9, 2010
7:54 PM

Post #7617386

I know and I'm looking forward to it, provided the squirrels leave them alone... DH said one of them was nosing around the jugs this afternoon.

We had temps in the 60's today, can yall believe it, at lunch it was so warm I actually took my coat off and was outside without it... such a renewing day, with sun all day long and warmth... I never get tried of the two.

Janet
blkraven2
Wells, TX
(Zone 8b)

March 10, 2010
6:16 PM

Post #7619941

I will admit living in TX right now has Ohio beat.It was in the mid 70s today and I was out in a tank top and jeans. Im a native Daytonian and come summer Ill be wishing for the not so hot, less humidity of an Ohio summer!!
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 10, 2010
6:54 PM

Post #7620038

How long have you been in TX? Reason I'm asking is I was told the blood thins out and I believe it does. I stay cold in the winter nowdays.

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 10, 2010
7:19 PM

Post #7620091

guess what for the second straight day we hit above 60... not as much sun today, but the warmth made up for the lack of sunshine...

Janet
edited to correct word

This message was edited Mar 10, 2010 11:12 PM
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 10, 2010
7:54 PM

Post #7620173

Isn't that a nice hint of springtime! Wish I could have been outside to enjoy it a bit.
blkraven2
Wells, TX
(Zone 8b)

March 11, 2010
1:37 PM

Post #7621773

Podster.. I lived in ohio for 20 yrs then moved to MI for 25 yrs,lived all over the syate of Mi then moved back to Oh for 3 yrs.. then it was off to Az for 3 yrs.. Ive been in Tx for 3 going on 4 yrs now..
Im a gypsy!!!...lol..

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 11, 2010
3:08 PM

Post #7621965

blkraven

I've been from the east coast to the west coast and it wasn't until I was 30 and married the best man in the world that I stayed put for 18 years and we would have still been there had it not been for him losing his job to mexico and so we are in no. Ohio now but this job laid him off last June so we are waiting the game to see where we go next...LOL I've got my request in for a warmer climate...LOL KY is beautiful but so humid and hot in the summer, I'm a native Floridian so any state by the water is cool with me...LOL

Janet
blkraven2
Wells, TX
(Zone 8b)

March 11, 2010
4:07 PM

Post #7622076

I spent many a summer on lake cumberland, dale hollow and laural lake in ky and TN..try east tx for hot and humid in the summer..lol. No comparison.. trust me on this one...lol... My first summer after I moved from az it felt like I was breathing water everytime I went out side.. I left a area that considered 13% humity very high to 98% thats not unusal.. I learned after moving to tx that you can have 100% humidity and it not rain...lol.
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 11, 2010
5:05 PM

Post #7622255

Aha! You too... we lived in AZ for 4 years before moving to east TX. I agree on the humidity but my gills have developed and I love the summers. On any terms, I would be hard pressed to move too far north. When I consider moving south, I think about having to learn a new language at this age. Grrrr!

Janet ~ good luck with your husbands' jobs prospects. Tough times to be in the market I suspect. Although the TX economy doesn't seem to suffer as much this time.

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 11, 2010
8:35 PM

Post #7622711

Podster good to hear that my sweet Texas isn't having to rough of a time. I love east Texas my aunt and uncle lived in Reklaw and had 30 acres, and the most wonderful place and home there, wish I could buy it back from the people my aunt sold to. nice quite place.

Yes I hear ya on a new language...

Janet
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 11, 2010
8:45 PM

Post #7622733

I am happy to report... ta da... my eyeball spotted newly sprouted wintersown seedlings tonight! I will have Mule Team and Hong Yuen tomatoes. 8 ))

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 12, 2010
7:10 AM

Post #7623442

well cool beans... or maybe that should be cool maters...

Janet

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 12, 2010
11:25 AM

Post #7623956

Hey Pod~I found 3 mater jugs sprouting this morning! Looks like it's not too late for maters after all! These were jugs I'd moved into the enclosed sunroom, so on warm days it gets plenty hot in there. The rest are sitting on the concrete slab out my back door. I put them there thinking the sun would warm the concrete and also warm them from the top and they'd sprout faster, but nooooooooo!! The inside ones are sprouting before the outside jugs. Guess I'll be moving all of them inside.
runnerboy713
Westborough, MA
(Zone 5b)

March 12, 2010
1:28 PM

Post #7624230

I've been lurking and keeping my jug eye under control until this past week...To my shock I came home from work today to find that a few bachelor's buttons and african daisies and several alyssum have popped up overnight. I wasn't anticipating them to pop up so early! I'm now left with the question--if the containers dry out and I need to provide a little water, should I worry about watering from the top and getting mildewy plants?

I think I'll pop a tarp over them tonight since it's supposed to drop into the lower 20s here as a precaution. Oh, and I think my neighbor was getting suspicious of my increasing number of suspicious packages...he just warily came over and asked what I was doing with all of them =X.

Thumbnail by runnerboy713

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 12, 2010
1:30 PM

Post #7624239

runnerboy

all I plan to do with mine when the temps drop is just put the top back on the milk jug. I'm not going to cover them. With the top on it will act just like a green house and build up warm humidity that should take care of the seedlings.

Janet
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 12, 2010
5:25 PM

Post #7624678

Cool beans it is! LOL But Janet, don't forget to pop the caps in the daytime or they will roast.

Runnerboy ~ can you open the edge and water from there? I have also wondered if these containers (with the appropriate drain holes) could be set in a few inches of water and let it absorb it from the bottom maybe. I lost some sprouted containers to frost last year as I didn't think about closing the jugs or covering. Now, I will move them in just in case.
Sounds like you need to get your neighbor hooked on gardening/wintersowing too... lol

Tonight more maters, Porter, Druzba & Homestead. So I'm curious... all the mater seeds were planted at the same time in identical jugs, soil, moisture, sunlight, etc. Are there different tomato germinating times? I still have some different ones being "jug eyeballed" with no hint of green yet. Stephanie ~ are all yours the same cultivars? Or different?

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 12, 2010
6:48 PM

Post #7624850

I also had more maters tonight in some of the outside jugs. All of my maters are different cultivars.

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 12, 2010
7:58 PM

Post #7624981

I'm starting my maters inside tomorrow after I return from an all day master gardener workshop. 2 classes in the morning lunch and 2 classes in the afternoon.

I went last year to this and it was wonderful. I've got 6 other garden club buddies going also tomorrow.

Janet
edgeoftheworld
Conneaut, OH
(Zone 5a)

March 14, 2010
5:07 AM

Post #7627841

Taking Monday off work.Calling in sick.I am going to tell them,I have "jug eyeball" and can't work.Edge
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 14, 2010
5:26 AM

Post #7627870

OH, oh Hope your employer isn't a gardener ~ lol

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 14, 2010
7:06 AM

Post #7628005

I eyeballed all my mater jugs last night and this is what I found sprouting:

Chalk's Early Jewel
Amish Paste
Pruden's Purple
Ponderosa (Red)
Box Car Willie
Sweet Pea
Big Rainbow
Ararat Flamed
Brandywine
Abe Lincoln
Zucheklumpen
Sioux
Cherokee Purple
Eva's Purple Ball
Italian
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 14, 2010
1:15 PM

Post #7628778

Hot diggity!!! Makes me hongry just thinking about it. You are going to have a yard full when they all get planted!

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 14, 2010
2:38 PM

Post #7628934

These are really my husband's, but I've done all the work. I only wanted about 5 or 6 varieties, but noooooooooo...he kept shopping! LOL I'll probably have LOTS to trade at the RU in May.
hanseycollie
Cynthia (N. Kansas C, MO
(Zone 5b)

March 14, 2010
2:59 PM

Post #7628978

Wow, I've been off DG for a couple months now - so glad to see my friends are still here! Janet, I'm also very late at getting a lot of my WS done - the snow just melted - Stephanietx has given me the go-ahead on another thread to plant more so off I go! LOL! I have two jugs of lupine sprouting - I am soooooooooooooooooooooo excited as it's my first year. Also have 17 ladies who winter sowed with me this year, so I'm praying (!!!!) they get some sprouts too!

Now, if it'll stop raining for a day or two and we can see the sun?

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 14, 2010
4:20 PM

Post #7629182

Well Cynthia I was wondering if you were ever coming back. I know from FB you have been a busy bee...

Good to see you back.

Janet
hanseycollie
Cynthia (N. Kansas C, MO
(Zone 5b)

March 15, 2010
2:54 AM

Post #7630124

I leave in a week for grandbaby - so I have to get my WS done now! Yikes, it's 4:51 a.m. and I'm heading to the garage - have 100 jugs out there marked, filled with soil and ready to wet down and seed. I'll have 170 total then ... woohoooo... and I will do the annuals when I get back from New Orleans! I have missed DG!
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 15, 2010
5:37 AM

Post #7630265

Glad you are back ~ only to leave us again. You sow, girl. The containers will wait on you to come home and so will we! Enjoy your trip...
hanseycollie
Cynthia (N. Kansas C, MO
(Zone 5b)

March 15, 2010
5:46 AM

Post #7630285

I have 20 finished and placed outside, about 80 more to finish today. I plan to leave Sunday to go see that baby born, woohooo. First granddaughter - or so we will find out for sure with tomorrow's ultrasound. The first was "iffy". I only have one full closet of girls clothes to return if she's a he, lol. Off to the garage. Say, how is the "real" Pod doing? Han sends his best!
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 15, 2010
5:50 AM

Post #7630289

Doing good here. We had wondered what happened to you and Han.
That will be one rotten grandgirl ~ I can tell. Best wishes.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Winter Sowing Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Winter Sowing Seed Swap .....part 2 alicewho 213 Mar 23, 2007 1:01 PM
Lessons learned for next year #2 zenpotter 256 Mar 23, 2007 7:56 AM
Milk jugs TurtleChi 99 Mar 19, 2007 12:20 PM
WS Poppies & transplant problems marie_ 100 May 11, 2011 4:44 PM
Database germination info bluespiral 6 Mar 5, 2008 12:23 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America