Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Article: Culver's Root and Cotton Mather: That poor little girl

Communities > Forums > Article: Culver's Root and Cotton Mather
bookmark
Forum: Article: Culver's Root and Cotton MatherReplies: 21, Views: 57
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Elena
Middle, TN
(Zone 6b)

March 9, 2010
5:28 AM

Post #7615302

I have never seen or heard of that plant but I will not have anything to do with it either. Your fear of it is good enough to keep me from ever wanting to be near it. That poor little girl! Wish you had a picture of you standing next to the plant. I can just imagine how it must have dwarfed you. Good article as always, Sharon. Actually I can't imagine your writing a bad one. Keep up the good work.
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

March 9, 2010
6:53 AM

Post #7615507

Thank you, Elena.

Don't be afraid of it, it is a very pretty plant.
Just don't eat it.

Very nice to hear from you.

irisMA

irisMA
South Hamilton, MA

March 9, 2010
8:18 AM

Post #7615763

Hi It could be the TB which killed. However, for warned is forarmed.
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

March 9, 2010
8:53 AM

Post #7615854

Hi Iris...
It could be, you're right!

Good to see you again, thanks.
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

March 9, 2010
8:54 AM

Post #7615860

Iris...whenever I see you write 'TB', I think Tall Bearded Iris...everytime.
Just had to tell you that...
Hemophobic
Kannapolis, NC

March 9, 2010
10:31 AM

Post #7616077

Shar, didn't know this fact about Culver's root and glad to have it now rattling around in my head with other things which live there, some of which, like this, are sometimes useful! Thank you for this article about another plant I'm unfamiliar with.

Angie

irisMA

irisMA
South Hamilton, MA

March 9, 2010
12:51 PM

Post #7616382

Sherran Glad that you are in tune with the iris rather than the disease.
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

March 9, 2010
4:54 PM

Post #7616904

Hi Angie, glad to add to the trivialities that rattle around in your head.
Thank you.

Iris...yes, me too.
Liquidambar2
Mount Vernon, KY

March 9, 2010
8:40 PM

Post #7617553

Elena; I ran across this plant at Wal Mart one spring, verconia that is. It was small about a foot high, the flowers were like the pictures Sharran provided, but it was sort of bluish. I did very well - well enough that I had plenty for my neighbor's flower garden too. We both became rather tired of it after a few years. It was not real invasive but have a tendency to slowly take over. It also was not that pretty or memorible. But this Culver thing that Sharran is talking about which is seven feet high!!!!! I am like Elena, I have never seen one, WOW! How could I have missed it????

Sharran; Do you have any lingering problems with polio now? I am sorry you had to go through that as a child. .
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

March 9, 2010
9:04 PM

Post #7617627

Hi LA...great to hear from you again.

Culver's root can grow pretty tall, and it did in Aunt Bett's garden, but that mountain soil was wonderfully rich, and I doubt if it would grow that tall here in the flatlands where I am now. Of course I am no longer 42 inches tall either, so it probably wouldn't seem as tall to me now, but yes, it does grow tall. The clumping and the spikes on top were what made it so memorable. Of course Aunt Bett cultivated it, used it for medicine, so there was a lot of it.

Anyway...polio. I do have some problems, Post Polio Syndrome it's called. There's lots of nerve damage, and though I can get to where I'm going, there are sometimes problems getting there. That's one reason I just keep right on going, because I'm always afraid if I stop, I might not start again. Thanks for asking, most of the time, I don't let it bother me, and I don't like for it to bother my friends either, but I really do appreciate your kind words.

Thanks for writing, too. I always like to hear from you.
Liquidambar2
Mount Vernon, KY

March 10, 2010
6:50 AM

Post #7618378

Sharran;
Sorry to hear that! I have heard that children with polio grow up to have a lot of problems with nerve damage. I have an older cousin that has one foot shorter than the other - I think - well he walks on the ball of his feet and never touches his heel. Mitch McConnell (minority leader) had polio as a child too - found that out this past year when he was advertising and campaigning.

The only thing that I know that grows as tall as a Culver is hemlock and Joe Pye. BUT I plan on getting out and looking for it - paying attention and see if I can find it anywhere?
Some times plants are over looked because I have not been paying attention.

I do always read your articles and always love them.

irisMA

irisMA
South Hamilton, MA

March 10, 2010
6:57 AM

Post #7618401

Hi Sharran My MIL had polio (caught in her 20s). It affected her rib muscles etc. & she could not cough correctly so late in life went to Florida for the winter. However she did train the family labradors for field trials. I was told by another family member that if your MIL falls, you do NOT help her up. It happened only once so I grabbed the dog which was being rather bouncy & held him off instead. More power to you.

I will stick to trees which are taller than I am. Love your writing. Lucy
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

March 10, 2010
6:58 AM

Post #7618403

Yes, I know about M. McConnell, in fact at one time he was in the same support group out of Louisville that I attend occasionally. Really not a support group, more a fact finding group that keeps track of PP victims in KY and keeps up with meds and medical techniques as they apply to us.

Take your camera with you when you go on your search. I want to see what you find.
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

March 10, 2010
7:03 AM

Post #7618413

Oops, Lucy...we crossed in mid air.

Interesting about your MIL. The polio was in my lower body, and didn't affect breathing, though at the time I think they thought it would. I think I was very fortunate, because I learned to walk again, and spent many years with not too much of a problem. The older I get the more evident are the after affects, though. Or maybe it's just normal old age...

Thanks, Lucy...and I love hearing from you.
And all your iris photos and info.
Liquidambar2
Mount Vernon, KY

March 10, 2010
9:51 AM

Post #7618825

What is a MIL? I did try looking it up on acronyms and it did not come up?

I am also very curious about Mitch McConnell - what is he like in person? I know he is around Louisville alot - he has a home there I think, when he is not in Washington ----, but he was orginally from Eastern Kentucky (at least that is what I have been told)
Elena
Middle, TN
(Zone 6b)

March 10, 2010
11:03 AM

Post #7619002

MIL - Mother in law

irisMA

irisMA
South Hamilton, MA

March 10, 2010
12:55 PM

Post #7619217

Right We are lazy here.
Liquidambar2
Mount Vernon, KY

March 10, 2010
3:47 PM

Post #7619569

Oh, Okay. I will try to remember that one. I am learning some o f them; like OMG seems to be the favorite on line- but that is something I never use in real life language. Sort of like taking the Lord's name in vain, I guess.

irisMA

irisMA
South Hamilton, MA

March 10, 2010
4:10 PM

Post #7619625

Agreed.
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

March 10, 2010
6:15 PM

Post #7619938

Think of it as Oh My Goodness...I do.
Except I usually say Oh Goodness Gracious...maybe that'd be OGG, ya think? We could coin that phrase for ourselves.

LA...I don't really know Mitch McConnell personally, though I've been in groups with him. He's a very nice man publicly, very mild mannered, soft spoken, not aggressive, unlike most politicians.

He was born and raised in Louisville, so not eastern KY. He also went to school there and then got his law degree from UK I think, so pretty much has stayed in that area.

Me too, Lucy..agreed.

irisMA

irisMA
South Hamilton, MA

March 10, 2010
8:39 PM

Post #7620238

I go with drat! Don't know the origins of it.
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

March 10, 2010
9:37 PM

Post #7620337

I like drat, too.
A useful word.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Culver's Root and Cotton Mather Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
always a fan laurawege 12 Mar 10, 2010 9:01 AM
Can't wait! carrielamont 4 Mar 16, 2010 8:43 PM
Great article, well written lortay 3 Apr 6, 2010 7:38 AM
So much knowledge left untapped binibusybee 2 May 7, 2012 7:04 AM
Cotton Mather story RudysTreeFarm 0 May 2, 2012 10:35 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America