Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Article: Introduction to Agaves: Weevils and Grubs - oh sigh

Communities > Forums > Article: Introduction to Agaves
bookmark
Forum: Article: Introduction to AgavesReplies: 2, Views: 17
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
ogrejelly
Gilbert, AZ
(Zone 9b)

March 9, 2010
2:24 PM

Post #7616602

Thanks Geoff for another great article. I have learned a lot from your materials and still refer back to many of them (like the 2-part on tree Aloe)

After just recently losing my favorite Agave "Blue Glow" (http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/147783/) to the Snout Weevil I am left somewhat reluctant to try and continue to buy/grow more of Agave. Have you found any ways in eliminating or deterring these pests? I try not to use any poisons in my yard because I have tons of lizards but would do something subterranean if it was found to help.

I think the weevil actually attacks the top side portion of the plant where the young leaves are still grouped so I'm not sure treating below ground would work. Any recommendations?

Thanks!

palmbob

palmbob
Acton, CA
(Zone 8b)

March 9, 2010
7:17 PM

Post #7617269

We don't get weevils much out here in California, so I have no experience with such things.. Agaves here are pretty no-brainer... only thing that can go wrong is rotting from overwatering or lack of light (that happens plenty to my littler agaves).
koidave
Queen Creek, AZ

June 7, 2010
9:42 AM

Post #7866783

Geoff: Aftyer losing several prize agaves to this Snout Beattle, I have used grub/beattle insecticide. appling in mid March around each plant. It seems to have worked to take care of this problem in the AZ desert!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Introduction to Agaves Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
And what an obsession it is! podster 11 Oct 20, 2007 1:16 AM
podster and palmbob ceeadsalaskazone3 0 Oct 19, 2007 1:23 PM
great article-thanks dreamingflowers 5 Dec 7, 2012 9:26 PM
Thx from a Newbie - ? Agaves vs Yucca ? HoustonRick 1 Oct 22, 2007 7:32 PM
Plant names, genus effjayy101 1 Jun 1, 2008 3:23 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America