Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Vegetable Gardening: Which bush-type watermelon is best?

Communities > Forums > Vegetable Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Vegetable GardeningReplies: 5, Views: 129
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
killdawabbit
Christiana, TN
(Zone 6b)

March 9, 2010
9:19 PM

Post #7617663

I am looking for a variety of bush watermelon that has the best flavor. Preferably red-fleshed.Any ideas or opinions? Days to maturity?
Thanks.
Tplant
Pembroke Pines, FL
(Zone 10a)

March 11, 2010
9:10 AM

Post #7621211

Tell you the truth Burpee's has the best seed. I've grown them and have been pleased compared to others. There aren't that many varieties besides Sangria as far as I know but I could be mistaken? I prefer the full size for best flavor.
Farmerdill
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

March 11, 2010
10:13 AM

Post #7621326

There are very few Bush cultivars of watermelon. Easiest to find is the Bush Sugar Baby. The others that I am aware of are : Bush Baby, Sugar Bush, Bush Snakeskin, Bush Jubilee, Bush Charleston Grey, Bush Desert King (this one is yellow fleshed). These all have short stubby vines that are about three feet in lenght. Some of the icebox melons will have smaller vines in the six foot range. Sangria is a full size melon with full size vines. (8-10 feet) Days to maturity is similar to thier full vine counterparts.
Tplant
Pembroke Pines, FL
(Zone 10a)

March 12, 2010
7:30 AM

Post #7623469

My mistake! I confused it with snakeskin. In your opinion Farmerdill which is the best tasting?
Farmerdill
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

March 12, 2010
12:00 PM

Post #7624019

Plant, I don't do Bush watermelons very often. The Bush Sugar Baby tastes pretty good and is relatively easier to find. The best red fleshed melons for eating in my opinion are the Crimson Sweet and its derivatives followed closely by its sister the Allsweet and its derivatives. Sangria is a hybrid Allsweet type. I like Mickylee better than Sugar Baby for an ice box melon, but it is not available in bush form. Bush watermelons have never caught on altho a dozen or so have been introduced over the years.
Tplant
Pembroke Pines, FL
(Zone 10a)

March 14, 2010
11:56 AM

Post #7628638

They charge $3.99 per bush melon here! Crimson Sweet is one of my favorites. Hope I have the good luck with them this season as I had last season? I'm limited now to four EBs for my growing as I gave most my EBs to Flip. I just had to cut back because of my health but I'm still in the game but it is a challenge now picking only four of the best. Mickeylee is a keeper for me thanks to your reco years ago.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Vegetable Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
very important question farmgirl21 31 Jan 8, 2008 12:31 AM
Need Source For Chinese Vegetable Seed berrygirl 18 Jun 15, 2008 7:21 PM
An accidental lesson Farmerdill 26 Feb 24, 2013 12:10 PM
Planting the "Three sisters" HilltopDaisy 94 Jul 6, 2011 3:38 AM
Rhubarb emilyrasmus 19 Apr 25, 2013 4:55 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America