Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Winter Sowing: When does WS season end?

Communities > Forums > Winter Sowing
bookmark
Forum: Winter SowingReplies: 7, Views: 92
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
rockgardner
Billerica, MA
(Zone 6a)

March 9, 2010
9:26 PM

Post #7617680

I know it depends on where you live, like which zone, or perhaps even other variables, but is there any kind of rule of thumb that says "ok, time to stop now". Does it have anything to do with last chance of frost?
CLScott
Calgary
Canada

March 10, 2010
6:55 AM

Post #7618396

The winter sow method of starting seeds in milk jugs could be used at any time.
It is most useful for seeds which require chilling, but if winter is past you could chill seeds in moist paper towels in the 'frig.
I have Sweet William which I seeded in milk jugs last July (after our last frost) which are there waiting to go in the ground.
For annuals the limiting factor would be when do you get the first killing frost in the fall.
It depends on the plant that you want to grow.
kqcrna
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 10, 2010
2:57 PM

Post #7619438

I've used the method any time of year. i.e. last summer I started several jugs of perennials for fall planting- rudbeckia, delosperma, and penstemon that I remember. Don't remember what else. They were planted out in fall.

Karen

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 10, 2010
5:39 PM

Post #7619845

It ends when you get everything in your jugs planted in the ground. :) For me, that means anywhere from April-June.
kqcrna
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 11, 2010
6:07 PM

Post #7622407

Unless, you sow new jugs all year 'round, then it never ends...

Karen
rockgardner
Billerica, MA
(Zone 6a)

March 11, 2010
6:53 PM

Post #7622524

So even if you sow jugs in the summer it's still WS? And please, nobody say "it ends when you run out of seeds"... Anyway, thanks for clearing things up! Let's hope nobody asks ME when WS season ends. I'll just tell them to look it up at DG. :)

stephanietx wrote:It ends when you get everything in your jugs planted in the ground. :) For me, that means anywhere from April-June.

For me that means never, as in I never get everything planted in the ground. What perennials are not in the ground by mid october goes indoors to a cool but sunny pantry where only the strong will survive to see another spring... and another new batch of seedlings.

Thanks all... happy WS this spring, and summer, heck... all year round. :)
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

March 14, 2010
7:40 AM

Post #7628069

Do we gardeners ever run out of seed?

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 14, 2010
8:15 AM

Post #7628135

No! LOL But some seeds are so easy to just cast out and let sprout, like Cosmos.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Winter Sowing Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Winter Sowing Seed Swap .....part 2 alicewho 213 Mar 23, 2007 1:01 PM
Lessons learned for next year #2 zenpotter 256 Mar 23, 2007 7:56 AM
Milk jugs TurtleChi 99 Mar 19, 2007 12:20 PM
WS Poppies & transplant problems marie_ 100 May 11, 2011 4:44 PM
Database germination info bluespiral 6 Mar 5, 2008 12:23 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America