-
AuthorContent
LarryR
South Amana, IA
(Zone 5a)

March 10, 2010
3:48 PM

Post #7619572

Hi Sharon--Wonderful, charming article, as always. Reading about your hair tribulations brought back lots of memories. Here's one I'd like share.

My hair was shoulder length during the late '60s and early '70s. It was fairly straight--especially when I dried it with a blow dryer--full, dark brown, and shiny. Women would actually ask me who my hair dresser was. (It was my wife!)

When I became tired of the blow-dry routine, I had my long locks cut and layered to about a two-inch length. Like yours, it curled up every which way. I soon discovered that if I let it dry naturally and ran my fingers through it occasionally during the drying process, it turned into an Afro. As circumstance would have it, I just happened to be teaching at a black university in the South at the time. My colleagues loved it!

After moving back to Iowa and into a position as a central administrator at the University of Iowa, I felt that my Afro would not be appreciated, so I began the blow-dry routine again. But some days I just didn't want to bother. So I'd show up at the office with curly hair one day and straight hair the next. One morning, as I entered my office suite, the office manager couldn't contain her curiosity. "Oh Larry!" she exclaimed, "I just love your curly wig!"

Larry☼
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

March 10, 2010
6:21 PM

Post #7619955

Larry, that is too funny!

But it happens to me too. Somedays when I feel like the blow drying thing, I spend time doing just that...blow drying. It lasts usually for most of the day, but not in humidity.

People haven't asked me about a wig yet, but they often do ask How I can have a perm one day and straight (well, wavy) the next.

Somehow I can't imagine you with an Afro. But my son often tells me after we've been for a ride on his boat..."Mom, can you do anything about your dreadlocks?"

It's so good to hear from you, Larry, thank you.
My image of you has certainly changed, though!
LarryR
South Amana, IA
(Zone 5a)

March 10, 2010
10:46 PM

Post #7620436

I think I still have a photo somewhere. I'll try to dig it up. It's always been good for a few yucks among family and friends!
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

March 11, 2010
9:36 AM

Post #7621250

chuckle...

Here's one of my more subdued hair moments...

Thumbnail by Sharran
Click the image for an enlarged view.

LarryR
South Amana, IA
(Zone 5a)

March 13, 2010
1:45 PM

Post #7626444

Not bad! :-) Looks a lot like my sister's hair used to, and her husband wouldn't let her cut it.

The only photo I had of my Afro do was, of all things, a passport photo. I must have thrown it out when I got a new passport. Rats! Anyway, here are two photos of me in long hair. Isn't the leisure suit a hoot?! The other one I call "the pensive gardener." :-)

Thumbnail by LarryR
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

March 14, 2010
10:20 AM

Post #7628475

Oh my! What a handsome fella...very suave and sophisticated.

Hard to believe you men actually wore those leisure suits, but I think there are still a few of them around here, leftover from the 70's.

Great photos, Larry...fun to see. I'll be watching for the Afro, though...surely there's one around somewhere.

Thanks

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Hair Herbs Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
grey hair irisMA 21 Mar 12, 2010 6:26 PM
Essential oils on hairbrush imapigeon 5 Mar 2, 2010 2:34 PM
Wonderful... zhinusmom 9 Mar 9, 2010 6:58 AM
no hair dparsons01 8 Mar 10, 2010 9:36 PM
The best treatment for hair 3pmp 7 Apr 6, 2010 4:41 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America