Photo by Melody

Article: Eat 'em, Mommy! (green soybeans, that is): Endocrine disruptor.

Communities > Forums > Article: Eat 'em, Mommy! (green soybeans, that is)
bookmark
Forum: Article: Eat 'em, Mommy! (green soybeans, that is)Replies: 8, Views: 51
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
dividedsky
Indianapolis, IN
(Zone 5b)

March 11, 2010
9:28 AM

Post #7621240

I can't imagine why people would eat this stuff. There's already a huge amount of soy (most of it GMO, by the way) in this country processed into our food, and we aren't exactly a healthy nation. Not to say that soy is solely to blame, but research shows that it can cause problems, especially when you eat it in large quantities like we do in this country.

Here's one of the many many articles that outlines the benefits and risks of soy: http://www.utne.com/2007-07-01/Science-Technology/The-Dark-Side-of-Soy.aspx

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

March 11, 2010
4:51 PM

Post #7622212

I agree with dividedsky... and I just re-read that article several days ago, in response to a visit to an endocrinologist with hypothyroid problems.

Soy is used to make Soy Protein Isolate, which is a flavor enhancer and added to almost everything, even supermarket bread and soy contains goitrogens, which are substances that depress thyroid function!

I do eat some soy, but only long-fermented things like true tamari. The long fermentation helps break down the phytates and enzyme inhibitors.

I'm glad you had fun growing them, but please do more research before you eat any more of them. :)
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

March 12, 2010
8:05 AM

Post #7623551

I won't debate Soy Protein Isolate, but it seems unlikely that anybody would eat enough edamame to cause problems. :-)

Everybody should make their own decisions, of course, and be guided by their doctor's advice. It just seems unlikely to me that soy's longstanding reputation as a "health food" is completely wrong, although there may be some people with specific conditions who should avoid it.

Thanks for the link, though... it's always good to have more information.
dividedsky
Indianapolis, IN
(Zone 5b)

March 12, 2010
4:09 PM

Post #7624551

That's the thing, though. It does happen. It is happening. I've seen many people "go vegetarian," head for the "health food isle," load up on all the soy products there, and their weight balloons out of control. And that's just one of the many horrible symptoms of a thyroid that isn't functioning properly.

We eat significantly more processed, unfermented soy in this country than ever before, and coincidentally, people are fatter, more depressed, and suffer from serious problems such as cancer and infertility. And soy has been proven to be particularly dangerous for children. Of course, there are other factors to consider, such as widespread unsafe food packaging and other environmental concerns. And there's no way to be sure that your backyard soybeans haven't been contaminated with GMOs, unless your seed provider has invested in expensive genetic testing. And who knows what GMOs do to us?

I hate to sound like I'm overreacting to a lighthearted article about growing some beans. Most likely, growing a couple handfuls of soybeans in your backyard won't kill you. But I've been reading about some serious concerns with our food supply, and I think these are things that people deserve to know about.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

March 12, 2010
8:46 PM

Post #7625044

Thanks for your comments and for providing a link to start readers on further research. I was unaware that soy foods were controversial.
dividedsky. your title really caught my eye as I had just heard about endocrine disruptors- from plastics.
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

April 1, 2010
12:56 PM

Post #7672374

Is soybean oil a problem or is it just the solids that supress thyroid function?
dividedsky
Indianapolis, IN
(Zone 5b)

April 1, 2010
1:24 PM

Post #7672434

I assume that it is, because the oil isn't fermented. But I'd ask your doctor. I read a lot, but I haven't been to med school. :o)

Remember that it's the quantity, as well. A little soybean oil here and there might not cause any harm. But a combination of lots of soy from various sources can add up to a problem.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

April 1, 2010
3:45 PM

Post #7672698

Kelli, google 'Sally Fallon + Soybean' and you'll get some of her research work. She's great about giving chapter and verse for the medical research she uses, too.

I wouldn't trust my doctor to tell me anything correctly about soy... most of them (except the research types) are subject to the same BigAg propaganda as we are, and most of the research types are funded by grants from BigAg so they have a bias.
dividedsky
Indianapolis, IN
(Zone 5b)

April 1, 2010
4:00 PM

Post #7672747

True.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Eat 'em, Mommy! (green soybeans, that is) Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Shop from your Garden wind 7 Mar 13, 2010 9:59 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America