Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Article: Eat 'em, Mommy! (green soybeans, that is): Shop from your Garden

Communities > Forums > Article: Eat 'em, Mommy! (green soybeans, that is)
bookmark
Forum: Article: Eat 'em, Mommy! (green soybeans, that is)Replies: 7, Views: 37
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

wind

wind
Mount Laurel, NJ
(Zone 7a)

March 11, 2010
4:13 PM

Post #7622094

Hi Sally,

I enjoyed reading about Edamame. I just had some today for lunch. It was on the Wholefoods Market lunch buffet. They prepared the Edamame with Arame, a sea vegetable; it made a terrific pairing. You can buy the beans frozen, but why do that when you can shop from your own garden.

We just put up a new fence. In past years, the bunnies seemed to get to our bean sprouts before we did! You've inspired me to try growing soy beans again.

Also, as you know my specialty is nutrition. I did a nutrition analysis of Edamame based on USDA nutrient values. Just fyi: 1 cup of cooked Edamame beans are an excellent source of protein, dietary fiber, magnesium, folate, vitamin K and iron. Soy beans also contain calcium and other nutrients.

I think your predictions are right on ^_^

Happy Gardening,
Diana
ps: I love the title of your article!

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

March 11, 2010
5:01 PM

Post #7622241

Sorry to be a party pooper... but soy contains all kinds of antinutrients that inhibit the bodies' ability to absorb calcium, phosphorus, zinc, magnesium, iron, and many vitamins. Soy in products like SPI (soy protein isolate) and HVP have been linked to all sorts of dis-ease. Google the government's PubMed and research some articles. I counted 208 that definitely link obesity (esp. childhood obesity) to HVP (hydrolized vegetable protein).

93% of all soy grown in the US in 2009 was Monsanto's GM seed, and every farmer growing it is assessed from 1/2% to 1% of their crop value to pay into a marketing fund.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

March 12, 2010
8:07 AM

Post #7623557

Sally, thanks for a great article! I'll be looking for some edamame seeds for our garden.

I like shopping from my garden, too.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

March 12, 2010
8:52 PM

Post #7625054

wind- nice to hear from you, especially that you understood my (attempt at )catchy title

darius- You have me beat hands down on researching skills. (probably gardening too) I was unaware that soy is a controversial food.

critterologist- thanks for reading ; ^) especially in your busy schedule
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

March 13, 2010
5:58 AM

Post #7625559

Sally, I never miss your articles... although I admit I often read them already when they're in Terry's "approval" queue and then re-read on the actual publishing date!

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

March 13, 2010
8:13 AM

Post #7625810

it's tempting--"someone" has an article upcoming with the cutest little girl in a picture that I've ever seen, well one of the top three cutest LOL
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

March 13, 2010
8:33 AM

Post #7625861

Oh, you're right! Now we're just going to leave everybody in suspense... there's a pretty flutterby in the photo, too.

wind

wind
Mount Laurel, NJ
(Zone 7a)

March 13, 2010
9:59 AM

Post #7626054

^_^

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Eat 'em, Mommy! (green soybeans, that is) Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Endocrine disruptor. dividedsky 8 Apr 1, 2010 4:00 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America