-
AuthorContent
antsinmypants
Marietta, MS
(Zone 7b)

March 12, 2010
12:28 AM

Post #7623070

I love watermelons but hate canteloupe. Are there any other melons besides watermelons that don't taste like canteloupe? Thanks.

ants
Farmerdill
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

March 12, 2010
4:54 AM

Post #7623215

Depends on what you mean by taste like cantaloupe. Most will have some similarity. The Asian crisp melons will have a crisp (crunchy) texture which I will describe as somewhat similar to a cucumber with sugar on it. Spanish melons also have a harder flesh with a somewhat different flavor than a cantaloupe (muskmelon). That will include canary, ananas, and toad skin types.
dlbailey
Central Valley, CA
(Zone 9a)

March 12, 2010
1:09 PM

Post #7624179

There is also many European and Mideastern Melons like casaba, canary and true cantaloupes. Casaba is a personal favorite. European melons have a smoother, creamier interior and a taste quite different from American cantaloupes. You may like these if you don't like muskmelons. Baker Creek has a huge selection.

There are also 'melons' that are actually melon relatives like African Horned Cucumber Melon AKA Jelly Melon (not to be confused with wild melons/gherkins that are toxic and purely ornamental).
antsinmypants
Marietta, MS
(Zone 7b)

March 12, 2010
3:49 PM

Post #7624514

Thank you. I don't really know what it is about the taste of cantaloupe that I don't like. Could you give examples of Asian crisp melons? Those sound good :) These are ones I am thinking about ordering. Anyone know what these taste like & what kind of melon they are?

Ananas pineapple
Boule d'or
Green nutmeg
Haogen
Sakata sweet
Toadskin

Thanks again.

ants
Farmerdill
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

March 12, 2010
4:03 PM

Post #7624534

Sakata Sweet is an Asian crisp melon. Haogen is similar in flavor to Galia melon. tastes like a honeydew crossed with a muskmelon. Nutmeg is a green fleshed muskmelon, slightly spicy flavor. Toadskin (piel de sapo) and Ananas are Spanish melons, long season, firm whitish flesh, long shelf life.
dlbailey
Central Valley, CA
(Zone 9a)

March 12, 2010
4:13 PM

Post #7624560

[quote="Farmerdill"]Sakata Sweet is an Asian crisp melon. Haogen is similar in flavor to Galia melon. tastes like a honeydew crossed with a muskmelon. Nutmeg is a green fleshed muskmelon, slightly spicy flavor. Toadskin (piel de sapo) and Ananas are Spanish melons, long season, firm whitish flesh, long shelf life.[/quote]
Honeydew!! That was the other melon I was trying to recall. This is also very good. I have never grown it, though. All the supermarkets around here carry honeydew, canary and casaba melons. I have to agree about most cantaloupe varieties. There taste does not compare to most other melons.
antsinmypants
Marietta, MS
(Zone 7b)

March 12, 2010
4:21 PM

Post #7624569

Thank you. Would I have to keep these very far apart to keep them from crossing or can they be separated by time, like corn?

ants
Farmerdill
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

March 12, 2010
4:24 PM

Post #7624578

Very far, They are insect pollinated so a half to a quarter mile. difficult to seperate by time because of the long season and long bloom time. Bagging blossoms is the best answer if you want to sav e seeds.

This message was edited Mar 12, 2010 7:25 PM
antsinmypants
Marietta, MS
(Zone 7b)

March 12, 2010
6:16 PM

Post #7624805

Thank you. I just finished reading some on bagging blossoms. Will have to try a few this year.

ants

pollengarden

pollengarden
Pueblo, CO
(Zone 5b)

March 15, 2010
8:45 PM

Post #7632449

Another name for some cantaloupe is "musk-melon". I guess some people can taste the musky taste and some can't. My husband doesn't like cantaloupe either, but he likes Honeydews okay.

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

June 1, 2012
2:04 PM

Post #9147983

Old thread, great info!

I just planted some Avara hybrid. Never tried them before. Outside looks like a cantalope and turns yellow when ripe. Inside green fleshed.

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 1, 2012
2:39 PM

Post #9148059

I love cantaloupe, room temp sweet juicy muskmelons with the true muskmelon flavor- not those crunchy undergrown green things you get on buffet bar. Favorite place to find- Charleston, Mo! Large as tetherball, pepper and salt and ripe. Yummmm, Honeydews are ok, but haven't found the ones that used to get soft before they were overripe, flavors were better.
Farmerdill
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

June 1, 2012
4:10 PM

Post #9148192

rita, I think you mean Arava, a good Galia type. http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/95867/ Flavor is more akin to honey dew than muskmelon, but it is a combination of the two. Grows like a muskmelon, slips when ripe.

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

June 1, 2012
4:30 PM

Post #9148225

Yes, that looks like it. I got my seeds from High Mowing Seeds.

http://www.highmowingseeds.com/organic-seeds-arava-f1-hybrid-melon.html

They call it Arava F1 Hybrid Melon. I like Cantalops, muskmellons, honeydews, watermellon. I like them all!

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

June 16, 2012
12:37 PM

Post #9167679

The slugs ate up most of my seedlings and I had only ten seeds to start with, so bummed. I only have two plants left. I bought more seeds and just started them but I am worried that it is too late in the season.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

June 19, 2012
10:34 PM

Post #9172377

I had never thought of squash tasting like a cantelope especially those bannana looking things that most fix with brown sugar and butter. My tastebuds must have came from another planet or something?!! Cantelopes of course one of my favorites, honeydews ain't bad, and who is there that would refuse a summers day watermelon?!
I remember winter squash years ago when I tried some and that wasn't bad either!
And even still I don't believe I never never even knew an orange sweet watermelon existed till about ten years ago.The things that we miss or never get to try or do...my oh my oh my,...Gooodnesss .

I keep trying to grow a good melon though,well,..maybe someday I will get it right.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Vegetable Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
very important question farmgirl21 31 Jan 8, 2008 12:31 AM
Need Source For Chinese Vegetable Seed berrygirl 18 Jun 15, 2008 7:21 PM
An accidental lesson Farmerdill 26 Feb 24, 2013 12:10 PM
Planting the "Three sisters" HilltopDaisy 94 Jul 6, 2011 3:38 AM
Rhubarb emilyrasmus 19 Apr 25, 2013 4:55 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America