Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Cooking: saint pat's day dinner?

Communities > Forums > Cooking
bookmark
Forum: CookingReplies: 6, Views: 47
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
planolinda
Plano, TX

March 13, 2010
1:38 PM

Post #7626429

so--what are your dinner plans for the big day? corned beef and cabbage? i thought i would buy corned beef sliced from the deli but couldn't help but buy the brisket (actually i got the round this year--not sure what the difference will be in the taste) potatoes, carrots and cabbage--am going to make colecannon to go with it---
Aquannie
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 16, 2010
10:27 AM

Post #7633518

I'm putting our last fresh green cabbage from the garden in a crock pot tomorrow a.m. along with a corned beef brisket, carrots, and potatoes. I cook it all day in apple juice with the brisket's spice packet added. The meat flavor really mellows with the apple juice. Dinner will be ready when I get home from work. Yummers!
planolinda
Plano, TX

March 16, 2010
10:30 AM

Post #7633523

interesting about the apple juice--i plan to use the crock pot too--only i think we are going to wait till friday for the dinner--
i had heard of cooking it in beer too --
enjoy your dinner and happy st pat's tomorrow!
planolinda
Plano, TX

March 19, 2010
8:39 AM

Post #7640656

i am cooking my corned beef/potatos/onion/carrots in the apple juice now--i googled apple juice and corned beef and found recipes that used the apple juice with brown sugar--i don't want that much sweet flavoring so just followed your idea--will add the cabbage later--
do you make colcannon? if so -can i make it with the cabbage and potatoes i cook with the corned beef? it seems to make sense to me but when i look at the recipes none of them use the potatoes from the corned beef combo--
Aquannie
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 20, 2010
5:55 AM

Post #7642674

I have never made colcannon but have always wanted to. I hope you loved your meat cooked this way. It is a family favorite with us. I never had felt the need to add the sugar either.
planolinda
Plano, TX

March 20, 2010
8:17 AM

Post #7642967

yes i was very pleased with it! we had it for dinner last night-- i am also very fond of the corned beef "round" that i tried for the first time--MUCH leaner--i think some might not like it that lean if they are used to the more fatty bisket- but it looks picture perfect and is all meat! costs a little more but slices so nice and just healthier

i did make my colecannon from the potatoes -carrots and cabbage cooked with the meat--i added some bacon--the colecannon was really good and we just had it again for breakfast--comfort food is what i would call it--when i cooked it this morning i added a little chopped corned beef
my only problem with the whole thing was that i chose too small of a corned beef and not enough left overs!
thanks again for the apple juice idea--and if anyone else is thinking of trying it i agree with annie--do not add the sugar -apple juice is sweet enough!
patgeorge
Nurmo
Finland
(Zone 4b)

March 21, 2010
7:26 AM

Post #7645056

Being first generation Anglo Irish I was fascinated by this thread! You might find http://www.europeancuisines.com/Why-We-Have-No-Corned-Beef-Recipes interesting. My Mum regarded corned beef as only fit for sandwiches. "Irish Stew" was traditionally made with mutton; but that's pretty nearly unobtainable nowadays; so we settled for lamb. It's fascinating how emigrants to North America - Irish, Jewish, Italian, Polish, etc. - adapted their native cuisine to a different climate, ingredients and culture. The difference is sometimes superior to the original, and sometimes not.

PS On preview the last word of the link 'Recipes' has been truncated.

Pat

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Cooking Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cooking Questions Answered MistyMeadows 385 Dec 3, 2009 5:25 AM
Classic Cooking Answers`& Advice TwinLakesChef 8 Mar 9, 2010 4:23 PM
Memorable kitchen mishaps McCool 81 Jul 25, 2007 4:28 AM
Kraft Food's "Food & Family" magazine... WUVIE 20 Apr 2, 2009 3:09 PM
Wanted: No Fail Sponge Recipe leelovespigs 45 Dec 2, 2009 6:08 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America