Photo by Melody

Winter Sowing: Raining for two days..how does it effect WS containers?

Communities > Forums > Winter Sowing
bookmark
Forum: Winter SowingReplies: 3, Views: 37
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Pippi21
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 6b)

March 13, 2010
2:25 PM

Post #7626526

It has rained hard here for 2 days and more is expected.tomorrow. I am not concerned about the Sterlite storage containers because they have lids on them, but what about those jugs/liter bottles that are sitting out in milk crates? Move them under the eaves of the house?
CapeCodGardener
Mid-Cape, MA
(Zone 7a)

March 13, 2010
7:46 PM

Post #7627190

Pippi, I'm thinking about this too, because we're having a monsoon and it's expected to last for tomorrow. I think that the fact that the jugs and bottles have a relatively small hole in the top for water to go through will protect the seeds from being washed away. And those drainage slits that we so diligently cut in the bottom will help.

tcs1366

tcs1366
Leesburg, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 14, 2010
6:44 AM

Post #7627971

ditto what CCG said... and this is where you will find out if the holes you made in the bottom were BIG enough.

I have had seeds mold before with WS'ing... not enough drainage.

I think the only issues i will have are with the yogurt containers... they are quiet wet ... hopefully no more rain for today as the sun is expected starting tomorrow.
runnerboy713
Westborough, MA
(Zone 5b)

March 14, 2010
6:44 AM

Post #7627974

I'm in the same boat here. I just checked my containers this morning and they seem wet but not soggy. For my 2 l bottles I placed those little clear plastic cups on top just to offer a little bit more protection. I left the milk containers alone b/c the cups would just blow away. I'll probably check back later to see how things look since it's definitely monsoon-like outside

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Winter Sowing Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Winter Sowing Seed Swap .....part 2 alicewho 213 Mar 23, 2007 1:01 PM
Lessons learned for next year #2 zenpotter 256 Mar 23, 2007 7:56 AM
Milk jugs TurtleChi 99 Mar 19, 2007 12:20 PM
WS Poppies & transplant problems marie_ 100 May 11, 2011 4:44 PM
Database germination info bluespiral 6 Mar 5, 2008 12:23 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America