Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

fertilizer w/ saltpeter, ammonia, baking powder, epsom salt?

Lindale, TX

My late husband grew incredible bougainvillea and hibiscus plants. He made a fertilizer out of white ammonia, saltpeter, epsom salt and baking powder but I don't remember the proportions. Does anyone have this recipe?
Thanks!
martha

Wakefield, RI

To one gallon of water add 1teaspoon Epsom salts, 1teaspoon Saltpeter, 1 teaspoon Baking Powder and 1/2 teaspoon Ammonia and mix well.

Lindale, TX

Thank You! I really appreciate the help!

Kingman, AZ(Zone 7b)

What is salt peter and is it white amonia liquid you clean with? Is this good for all flowers? I know epsom salts make the most beautiful geraniums, brigtens the color.

Lindale, TX

I'm not sure exactly what the chemical is for saltpeter, but you get it via your pharmacist. The ammonia is the one WITHOUT detergent -- just household ammonia. Clear if you can find it, which I never can, but the white seems to work also. If I can get them scanned, I'll post pictures of my late husband's bougenvillia. They were always incredible using this formula!

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Saltpeter is potassium nitrate.

403708, India

Quote from cyclops101 :
To one gallon of water add 1teaspoon Epsom salts, 1teaspoon Saltpeter, 1 teaspoon Baking Powder and 1/2 teaspoon Ammonia and mix well.

Please advise, as to how much (dose) of this fertiliser can be used per plant and at what intervals? Also, can baking soda be used instead of baking powder?

This message was edited Jan 31, 2016 2:11 AM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.