-
AuthorContent
Pippi21
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 6b)

March 15, 2010
3:25 AM

Post #7630137

Which method do you use for recording your WS project? If you use a spreadsheet, what software program do you use and what information do you include in that spreadsheet.?If you use the handwritten recording process, what do you use to keep your WS records in and how much information do you write down. Do you find a handwritten process time consuming?
kqcrna
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 15, 2010
5:35 AM

Post #7630262

I used to do an Excel spreadsheet. Found it time consuming and unnecessary. Seeds will grow without a spreadsheet.
I don't think it serves much purpose.

Karen

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

March 15, 2010
7:29 AM

Post #7630492

Pippi -- i feel i OVER do my notes... totally redundant, but it works for me.

i do all of the above.

I have my notebook, it currently contains all my yrs WS'ing. then i use that info to fill in my spreadsheet [excel, and uploaded to Google Docs] plus i print my seed list [excel] and WS spreadsheet to fill in dates as things germinate/die so i can try to keep decent notes for future use.

Here is my Google Docs link ... I have a seed list for each yr plus a sheet for the Winter Sowing... like i said, some redundancy, but it works for me.

http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0Avcsp97ckJSUcEZ2ZmZPZUhQc1RxeEEzc29TQzNpYUE&hl=en

I know Karen feels it's unnecessary ... but I do refer back to my notes A LOT. usually trying not to make the same mistake twice, or even 3 times.

it's just the way i try to stay organized.

Terese

hanseycollie
Cynthia (N. Kansas C, MO
(Zone 5b)

March 15, 2010
8:43 PM

Post #7632443

I'm spreadsheeting this year but simply because it's my first year - I need all the help I can get planning my garden. I may not do it in years to come, but it's easy on Excel. Cynthia
hanseycollie
Cynthia (N. Kansas C, MO
(Zone 5b)

March 15, 2010
8:43 PM

Post #7632445

I have to agree...though...I bet they will sprout w/o my spreadsheet, lol.

This message was edited Mar 15, 2010 10:44 PM
grrrlgeek
Grayslake, IL
(Zone 5a)

March 15, 2010
9:23 PM

Post #7632507

I use gnumeric, an open source spreadsheet program, to keep track of what seeds I have and sowing/germination/blooming times. I want to keep track of when things come up in case I need to sow them at a different time next year.
Pippi21
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 6b)

March 16, 2010
4:46 AM

Post #7632811

Is Excel easy to learn? My computer is a Dell Inspiron 530, that was purchased 2 yrs. ago. Don't ask me what memory I have because I don't know but could look it up from paperwork when purchased.
kqcrna
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 16, 2010
5:23 AM

Post #7632867

Well, I've not mastered Excel. I only managed to do my spreadsheet because I had my husband here telling me what to do or setting up the document for me. Is you husband good with this stuff? Or have a friend that could help?
Do you already have the Excel software installed on your computer? If so you could just play with it and see if you can manage to set up what you want to do?

Karen

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

March 16, 2010
5:41 AM

Post #7632901

Pippi -- I would not buy excel or Office for that matter unless you "really" needed it for something.

I have always had it because ONE of us was always in school [between me and my 2 boys] where you had to have the software to do your homework. So i'd get the academic price. BUT --- the ones that comes with Works is just fine, or the open source ones. Grrrl mentioned one that i had not heard of, but i've mentioned Open Office which many use too.
Or even using Google Docs... though there are a few things that does not work as well as Excel -- but it could be that i'm just used to using Excel. [i struggle with Copy/Paste in there, which i use A LOT]
kqcrna
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 16, 2010
6:56 AM

Post #7633056

Ditto what Terese said.

Really, the seeds will sprout with or without a spreadsheet. And if you want to keep notes, there's nothing wrong with an old fashioned pencil and paper.

When a garden project becomes a chore, in my book it moves from a pleasurable hobby to a job. I have enough jobs. I garden for enjoyment.

Karen
Pippi21
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 6b)

March 16, 2010
1:12 PM

Post #7633822

Karen, my husband's knowledge of computer.LOL! He knows how to recognize that when the monitor light is burning, I've left my computer on and just has to tell me about it, as if the computer police are going to lock me up for not turning it off. It's all about control! No need to say anymore..After 46 yrs. of marriage, I learn to either ignore him or stand up for myself.
kqcrna
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 16, 2010
1:56 PM

Post #7633904

Wow, 46 years! Not many couples last that long any more. Congratulations.

Karen
rockgardner
Billerica, MA
(Zone 6a)

March 16, 2010
9:55 PM

Post #7635103

I use a spreadsheet (Quattro Pro) because it allows me to keep any and all information I need or want and be able to manipulate that info in so many ways with just a few clicks. If you're dealing with a lot of seed varieties, as I know a lot of us on this website are, I believe it simplifies things. And, for me anyways, I do not find it a task at all, instead it's almost as much a pleasure as gardening itself. I wouldn't get through a NE winter so easily if I didn't do this. And I've probably saved a few trees as well.
CapeCodGardener
Mid-Cape, MA
(Zone 7a)

March 19, 2010
6:48 PM

Post #7641812

Hi--Just found this thread, and it captured my interest because this is the first year I have ever created a spreadsheet in Excel for all the seeds I am starting, both WS and under lights. As in years past, I first create a written list with all the info I deem relevant--name of seed, what WS jug-number I've assigned, then by its characteristics, the date sown, and eventually, germination date, # planted out, and that date. This has been my permanent record. But this year I've also been transferring this to my computer at night. I can spend hours tinkering with Excel, making liberal use of the "undo" function ;-) I especially love sorting by different fields. . . "Yes!! Let's sort all seeds by type, and then by when to sow . . and then let's sort them by sun/shade requirement and then by which I should sow by the full moon. . ." (haven't really gotten to that yet, but it might just be a matter of time.)
I can go on doing this for hours. I agree with rockgardner; it's a great substitute for actually being able to get outside to garden when it's still so cold and wet outside. And it beats reorganizing the basement.
BTW, I'm no expert in Excel. I had to teach myself this year. I was thrilled to discover that one can google in questions and get useful answers!
But I'm not discarding my written list, no sir.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Winter Sowing Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Winter Sowing Seed Swap .....part 2 alicewho 213 Mar 23, 2007 1:01 PM
Lessons learned for next year #2 zenpotter 256 Mar 23, 2007 7:56 AM
Milk jugs TurtleChi 99 Mar 19, 2007 12:20 PM
WS Poppies & transplant problems marie_ 100 May 11, 2011 4:44 PM
Database germination info bluespiral 6 Mar 5, 2008 12:23 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America