vinegar

Plano, TX

i was reading about how good vinegar is for health and for loosing body fat among other things--but you need to have 1-2 tablespoons a day --i love vinegar but don't use it daily and am having a hard time thinking of how to --i add it to olive oil for salad--and like to splash a little on veggies--add a little to recipes (soup, stews, chili) but i guess i am wondering if there is a way to get it daily--a drink i guess is what would work--any ideas

Macomb, MI(Zone 5b)

2 tbsp in a cup of cold water....

Plano, TX

thanks--do you do that?

Temuco, Chile(Zone 9b)

That is best in the morning, on empty stomach and if you could afford it, prefer apple cider vinegar, is tolerated better, not only do what planolinda said but also alkalanise the blood pH level improving your general health.
Also start with 1/2 to 1 tablespoon , increasing to achieve 2.
Also you could use 1 tbs in a glass of water early morning and 2 hours before your dinner/supper whatever you call your last meal of the day.

I suggest you use normal white or red wine vinegar for salads dressing or cooking.

Macomb, MI(Zone 5b)

Try "braggs" it has the "mother" in it.... be-careful it can create yeast... apple cider is the best!

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Every day, I drink some raw, unfiltered apple cider vinegar (ACV) made by Braggs, diluted in a small amount of water. I'll be making my own ACV when apples are ripe this fall.

True, Bragg's ACV is more expensive than regular apple cider vinegar, but the health benefits are wonderful.

Don't assume any regular vinegar will do the trick... they won't because they are 'dead' food. Bragg's contains live organisms (lactobacilli, which are probiotic). Try drinking the ACV in OJ...

I'd love to know where I can purchase larger amounts of various types of vinegars: good white wine, white balsamic and GOOD apple cider vinegar in large jugs (like white vinegar comes in). We use it a lot - vinegar is DELICIOUS in homemade soup. Add some after cooking or before re-heating to add that little zip it might be missing, it's wonderful at brightening homemade chilli, delicious in your own simple salad dressings...
I soak all sorts of delicious herbs in (not white) vinegars of all kinds, it is so flavorful. I just made a salad with cukes, tomatoes, flax oil and herbal vinegar, salt & pepper with some basil. It's so simple and yet complex because of the flavored vinegar! I easily just got 2 tablespoons into me!

ggg... did you read the sentence above what you posted? Let me say it again: Don't assume any regular vinegar will do the trick... they won't because they are 'dead'...

By 'trick' I mean provide health benefits... All other vinegars except those homemade fermented from wine, and/or raw apple cider vinegars, do not provide any health benefits... just taste benefits.

When I made a lot of 'flavored vinegars' with a champagne vinegar base, I had to buy a whole case (4 gallons) on the internet to get a bottle larger than a pint.

Braggs ACV is available in gallon jars. Try that health food store in little 5 points (if it's still there). However, my experience is that Braggs does not make a good base for flavored vinegars... it has too strong a taste.

Plano, TX

girlgroup i am like you--i love vinegar--and it is so good in soups and chili-i agree
i love to add malt vinegar to things at the table

darius i am not sure if i agree with you about it not having a health benefit--i understand what you are saying about being a dead food--but i think maybe some "regular" vinegars have some health benefit--not sure but just think so

I'm in the "I Love Vinegar" camp... and it does perk up many dishes.

Quoting:
White distilled vinegar has no health benefits. It is apple cider vinegar that is credited with healing properties rather than white distilled vinegar, which is most often used for cleaning. Use organic apple cider vinegar to reap the most health rewards. Organic apple cider vinegar can be found in most health food stores.

http://www.ehow.com/facts_4814363_health-benefits-vinegar.html

BTW, most of the white distilled vinegar in stores these days is made from GMO corn.

Plano, TX

thank you for posting that--i like apple cider vinegar but don't always buy it --i will now-and i plan to get it from a good source
BTW --love your site---really interesting!! added it to my favorites--
i think we talked about this before but are you close to fredericksburg

Thanks... be careful about apple cider vinegar (other than Bragg's) in large bottles... that is, read the ingredients carefully. I read somewhere that gallons of it by some mfg. are corn-based, not apple-based, but I forget who...

Fredericksburg is about 300 miles away in distance, and a world away in culture, education... all the things we consider 'modern' compared to here. I bet they even have more than one grocery store!

Plano, TX

everthing lately is corn based-

Temuco, Chile(Zone 9b)

Then you can try to make your own apple cider vinegar.

You will need some few utensils but the final result will compensate it and you will be making the vinegar every year; final point it will cost less for a high quality product.

Here you'll find a good recipe.

http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art8171.asp

My recipe is similar to the one Christina posted (Thanks!), but I let the yeast ferment age (mellow) in secondary gallon fermenters for several months before allowing oxygen exposure to convert the alcohol to acetic acid.

Right now I am 'brewing' vinegars from scratch using blueberries, plums and red raspberries. I have about 3 gallons of each working, except the plums made 4 gallons.

I'll get some brews with apples started when the apple harvest is in full swing around here and I can get some of the almost-lost heritage apples necessary for old-fashioned hard cider (which wasn't as sweet as most cider today). Tom Jefferson developed a crab apple at Monticello that I want to try.

Plano, TX

i will not be making mine but will see if i can get some good vinegar
i am impressed with your brews!

Plano, TX

got my bragg's apple cider vinegar and had 2 tablespoons in a glass with sweetner--very tasty!

Cool!

When I started taking Bragg's again after several years, my body took notice with the first sip and wanted more, more, more. That sensation wore off after a few weeks, so I'm assuming my pH had more of a balance by then.

Temuco, Chile(Zone 9b)

darius, yes that's what happens, then it is good to continue taking a couple of teaspoon daily to maintain the system pH level alkaline

Yep, I do. :)

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Not in step with what you all are posting but still on the vinegar topic.
I get the hiccups a lot and somewhere along the line vinegar was suggested. I tried it and it worked. Now when I get the hiccups, I can just close my eyes and imagine the taste of a tablespoon of vinegar and they stop. My DH says it is from my changing my breathing when I concentrate on it.
I haven't tried to take it daily but just might if I find the Braggs.

Temuco, Chile(Zone 9b)

Sheila_FW try to do it daily, your health will thank you for it.....

Cristina

Plano, TX

i got the braggs at tom thumb or kroer-in the health food section--i take it daily now--in my sweetened ice tea!
funny about stopping the hic cups by THINKING of vinegar!!

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

I have to take a teaspoon ever now and then to keep the vivid taste memory! LOL!

The Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 5b)

Wow, great thread.

Found you all through a search and this is not what I was looking for but so glad I took the time to read through all your posts.

I have a bottle of Bragg's in the cabinet so I'll get right to following all your excellent advice.

(Zone 5a)

Bragg here too. I warm the water and add raw honey. Great winter drink to warm you up.

Dallas, OR(Zone 8a)

I just heard that Heinz makes a "Malt Vinegar" that is a tad sweeter than the regular kind. They have a recipe on their webpage for a salad dressing used with cabbage (cold slaw salad). I would like to make this, but could not find "Malt" vinegar at my local Safeway store. I wonder where I could find some? Anybody out there ever seen or used "Malt Vinegar" ?

(Zone 5a)

Creek, interesting. I'll have to look. I've never tasted it before.

I have some malt vinegar, 3 different brands. Roland (www.rolandfood.com), Four Monks English Style (by American Foods), and Norfolk Manor, an English brand distributed by British Wholesale Imports in California.

I love it on batter-fried fish, fries and hush puppies.

Dallas, OR(Zone 8a)

I'm going to check Trader Joes today, surely they will have some....

I hope it is sweeter than standard apple cider vinegar. I understand vinegars health benefits, it's just getting past the sharp flavor that keeps my consumption down.

Now if I could find a sweet one.... I could get hooked

Plano, TX

malt vinegar is really good and for me it is easy to find-and yes great on fish

a sweet and mild vinegar is rice vinegar--very mild tasting

Dallas, OR(Zone 8a)

Thanks Darius for mentioning those three brands, of the three which would you consider to be the sweetest?

Thanks Linda for the tip on Rice Vinegar, I might have to try it. I wonder though if it would offer the same health benefits as the Apple cider vinegar does?

I had no luck today finding malt vinegar at Trader Joes, I also went to another Safeway store, no luck there either. You'd think that Heinz brand being so common, that more stores would carry it. I'll have to keep checking more stores. Maybe I'll have to call Heinz and ask them who they distribute to.

The cabbage salad recipe is on the Dr. Oz webpage in case anyone else wants to try it. I'm on the lookout for good tasting healthy diet foods right now. That one just struck a cord with me as something I wouldn't mind consuming....possibly a lunchtime low calorie staple food. I got the shredded cabbage, I just want to get the salad dressing part right. Will continue my search.

Also, this is off thread, but we like to have pancakes on Sunday mornings and I am guilt ridden over the syrup part. All store bought syrups are high fructose corn syrup based. I used plenty of syrup too, to make the pancakes palletable. So I sure wish I could find something that wouldn't kill me to put on my pancakes. I've heard of Sorgum syrup, but again I can't seem to locate any over here on the west coast. Anybody have any experience with that?

Thanks,
Diana

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Just had to report, I had my sister's DGS this weekend, he is six. He had a bad case of the hiccups at one point. I told him I could get rid of them...and he agreed to try the vinegar. I told him it was like the dill pickle juice, sour. He told me he liked sour and tried it. I gave him only a fourth of a teaspoon and no more hiccups!

Diana, I really couldn't say which of my malt vinegars tastes sweeter... one (Norfolk Manor) hasn't been opened yet. The Four Monks has a better overall taste to me than the Roland, and is also the only one that seems like it might actually be a real fermented product.

My understanding about any health benefits of vinegar is that there are none in a distilled vinegar. Only a fermented vinegar (Bragg's is one) has gained some healthy nutrients from the fermentation.

"Malt vinegar is made by malting barley, causing the starch in the grain to turn to maltose. Then an ale is brewed from the maltose and allowed to turn into vinegar, which is then aged. It typically is light brown in color." ~ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malt_vinegar

Malting is pretty easy, and a home made malt vinegar shouldn't be that hard to make. I would think you could even start with a bottle of good malted ale and add either a 'mother' or some acetobacter which you could buy from a wine brewing supply shop.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malt

Plano, TX

pancake topping that is healthy?
melted peanutbutter--i have melted it in the microwave to pour over ice cream--
also there is some sort of all fruit jam and that would be good to warm up and use

Dallas, OR(Zone 8a)

Thanks Linda, that's a good idea, melting fruit jelly to use for syrup. Not sure if I am fond enough of peanut butter to put it on my pancakes, but the fruit jelly I would do.

Darius, malted ale as vinegar...Hmmm. Well if I were to get a malted ale, I might just drink it and call it good!

I tried one more grocery store today and still no Malt vinegar! This was a Winco store. They did have a Pompeian brand Balsamic vinegar that has Pomegranate infused in it. I got a bottle of that and it is pretty good. A little better than the hard core plain stuff. I could see maybe making that into a salad dressing.

I'll keep looking for the Malt kind. The word 'Malt' seems to appeal to me because I think in the back of my mind I'm remembering those chocolate covered malted milk balls, or what they used to call a milk shake back in the old days.... a Malt. Now I'm sure if I find this illusive malt vinegar, it won't taste that sweet. But even if it was half as sweet as a malted milk ball, I'd be happy with that in my salad dressing!

Plano, TX

fish and chips places always serve it--even long john silvers does--wonder if they would sell you some??

(Zone 5a)

Creek, laughing over your malt memory. I think of that too and I do have a bottle of malt in the fridge to just sprinkle on ice cream or stir into milk.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

I haven't been in a Long John Silvers in quite a while, but they used to sell the malt vinegar in there.

Horlich's used to sell malt tablets (and powder), and you could buy them in the grocery stores. I think you can still get them in England, not sure. They were a fat tablet of just sweet malt, like the centers of the malted milk balls. I loved them!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images