Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
shirleyd
Starkville, MS

March 15, 2010
12:17 PM

Post #7631150

I am a 78 year old female with a limited knowledge of cameras----------but, I love making pictures of my garden and of my family. My camera is about to fail me! I will be forced to get a new one soon----and I don't know where or how to start. The oldie is a Nikon (5.0 Mega Pixels---8xZoom--electronic viewfinder). I am not sure what all that means------but was written on the side of the camera. My price range should not be over $300------------and, it needs to be point and click. Can anyone suggest the best for me??

Shirleyd
TsFlowers
Delphi, IN

March 15, 2010
7:25 PM

Post #7632250

I was just at a Garden Club meeting and a member/friend had a camera and an album with the photos she had taken. The camera was a Canon Powershot SX110. She loves the camera and says it's very easy to use and it also takes some nice video which she showed me of her daughters wedding through the view finder. I checked the camera out myself by looking at reviews online, and the main drawback was that most said it went through batteries terrible...which could get expensive if you take *lots* of photos. My friend at the Garden Club didn't mention having to constantly replace batteries. She said that she paid a little over $200 for hers at Best Buy.
shirleyd
Starkville, MS

March 16, 2010
4:02 AM

Post #7632771

TsFlowers-----thank you so much for your help. I have written down the name of this camera-------but, I really don't want the added burden of controls for video. I can only deal with still pictures. So-----I am open for more suggestions.

Shirleyd
linthicum
Linthicum Heights, MD
(Zone 7a)

March 16, 2010
6:43 AM

Post #7633025

There's a lot of good point and shoot cameras on the market so it's difficult to sort through them all. You have Canon, Nikon, Panasonic, etc.

I would consider one of the Panasonic Lumix models. I have attached a link to their DMC-ZS3 model listed on Amazon. When in doubt, I prefer going with the consensus of opinion. For example, this model has 548 customer reviews. 456 of the reviews are 4 or 5 stars. That speaks well for the camera. Not everyone will give a good rating. It's listed at $239.95 with free shipping. This is just a recommendation, not an endorsement.

All cameras will have features that you don't want or don't use. That shouldn't be a concern, just don't use them.

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-DMC-ZS3-Digital-Stabilized-Black/dp/B001QFZMCO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=photo&qid=1268744565&sr=1-1

Hope this helps somewhat.

shirleyd
Starkville, MS

March 16, 2010
3:20 PM

Post #7634063

Linthicum----thank you so much for your time and advice. I will read about it-----and consider it.

Shirleyd
TexasPuddyPrint
Edinburg, TX

May 27, 2010
1:17 PM

Post #7833849

A simple Canon Power Shot SD1200I IS Digital Elph is pocket size and takes great pics. I keep one in a pouch on my service belt when I'm out in the field. I misplaced it a couple of weeks ago and purchased another and a few days later. As fate would have it - I found the misplaced one in one of my suitcases - it slipped under the snap liner that covers the rail!).

Brother was going on a motorcycle tour with a group last week needed a pocket camera so I gave him my old one. He loves it. Really easy to slip into a pocket!

I paid something like $175 for it.

I also have several other high dollar SLR cameras but for that price you can beat the ease and handiness of it.

~ Cat
blupit007
Clinton, CT
(Zone 6b)

June 1, 2010
8:15 PM

Post #7850547

I second Tex! The Canon Power Shot rocks. I got my mom the PowerShot SD1200 for Christmas, great price, and not too hard for her to figure out. She's not the tecky I would like her to be. I got myself a supped up model of the same one, PowerShot SD970 IS. Awesome. And the macro abilities are outstanding, I was blown away. I am a professional photographer and this is one of my favorites. Partly because it is simply carried in my purse, at my fingertips at all times and tremendously lighter then my work camera :)

You should check out BH Photo, the best prices around, and if you want to call them, they are more then helpful. Ask them anything, I always do.

Click the link to bring you to this years model of my mothers camera.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/672197-REG/Canon_4255B001_PowerShot_A3100_IS_Digital.html
Or if it isn't a link, just copy and paste it. (I'm new to Dave's and haven't quite figured everything out yet)

Hope you get what you want, and hope we all were helpful to you! I've attached a photo of my Hibiscus I took with the PowerShot yesterday. First time playing with the macro, I will get better at it, but was impressed with the closeness I got. I have a Canon 100mm Macro lens (my baby) but sold the body to it, so am in the market for a new one. I have a Nikon body that it wont match.

Good luck!

Thumbnail by blupit007
Click the image for an enlarged view.

nford
Hot Springs Village, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 5, 2010
1:01 PM

Post #7861424

Amazon.com virtually always has the lowest prices, so I was surprised to read "BH Photo [has] the best prices around". Their price on the Canon A3100 is $179.99 while Amazon's price is $149. Both have free shipping. This camera does not come with a memory card, so anyone ordering it should get an SD card at the same time.

One problem with most digital cameras I've had is that it is hard to get them to auto-focus at the point you want when talking macro (very close-up) pictures. The red flower picture in the message above seems to show that problem. I don't own the Nikon P100, but a review on Amazon.com interested me: "The Nikon's focusing indicator system... when you shoot a bouquet of flowers the display shows you each blossom chosen by the matrix focusing system. You click the shutter with the knowledge that it is [focusing on] what you want."

I have the Nikon P90. It doesn't have this feature, but it does have a manual focus option which allows you to adjust the focus exactly how you want it.

The P100 is selling for $333, which given its 26x zoom and other features is a bargain, but I would not recommend it for the original poster here who was looking for something simple.

Thumbnail by nford

blupit007
Clinton, CT
(Zone 6b)

June 5, 2010
10:30 PM

Post #7862876

wow
psudan
Mentor, OH

June 7, 2010
12:43 PM

Post #7867386

I always carry a camera when I hunt or fish. I know that sooner or later (and being a little klutzy) my canon a610 is going to get a bath. After searching the internet I ended up buying a canon d10 ,which is waterproof to 33 feet, shockproof to 6-7 feet and freezeproof. It is a 12 pixel. The only slight drawback to me is it only has a 3x zoom. I have no intention of doing any underwater shots but like the security of knowing that it should be alright if I were to drop it in water or use it in the rain. Most places were selling it for $300-350 but I found it on Amazon for $264 and free shipping.I am far from being a good photog but for my purposes it is serving me well.
nford
Hot Springs Village, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 8, 2010
1:57 PM

Post #7870393

psudan -- For people wanting a camera mainly for doing garden photography, only having a 3x zoom should not be a factor. More important is how good a job does it do taking close-ups of flowers? Have you made these kinds of pictures?

The waterproof and freezeproof features should be handy in case you do like me and set the camera down in the yard and forget to pick it back up.
psudan
Mentor, OH

June 8, 2010
2:08 PM

Post #7870436

nford-I have made dozens of pics with this camera and wish I knew how to post them. My nephew does the computer work for Progressive Insurance and is sort of my computer "guru", so I'll have him show me how to post them as soon as I can. I am only a step above being computer illiterate. lol I've taken close-up pics of my tulips and lilies and have been pretty impressed.
TexasPuddyPrint
Edinburg, TX

June 8, 2010
3:37 PM

Post #7870642

psudan...you can post an image into your post simply by clicking on the 'browse' button beneath the text block. Find your photo and click on it and then either click on 'preview' to see your post or just click on 'send' to post it.

It helps to resize images - just because some viewers are still on dial up or have slower connections...so there's no sense posting a 4mg photo when you can resize it to 100 or so kb in size.

~ Cat
psudan
Mentor, OH

June 12, 2010
10:53 AM

Post #7881896

Sorry it took so long to post .I'm still learning.These photos are not the greatest ,but I've found ( especially in my case) that the ability of the camera far exceeds the ability of the person holding it. LOL

Thumbnail by psudan

psudan
Mentor, OH

June 12, 2010
10:57 AM

Post #7881903

Here's another.

Thumbnail by psudan

psudan
Mentor, OH

June 12, 2010
11:00 AM

Post #7881911

And one more.

Thumbnail by psudan

TexasPuddyPrint
Edinburg, TX

June 12, 2010
5:41 PM

Post #7882938

There ya go! Wonderful photos of some beautiful flowers!!! Love those colors - they are absolutely awesome!!!

~ Cat
SusieR
Springfield, IL
(Zone 6a)

June 12, 2010
5:52 PM

Post #7882954

I'm on my second Panasonic. The first was an "almost" DSLR and I wanted something smaller with a great quality lens and a big zoom. This picture is taken with the Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ5.

Thumbnail by SusieR

SusieR
Springfield, IL
(Zone 6a)

June 12, 2010
6:01 PM

Post #7882980

BTW, I got the camera at http://www.onecall.com/. They seem to have pretty good prices but I can't guarantee who has the lowest price. I would HIGHLY recommend you check out cnet and their reviews on digital cameras: http://reviews.cnet.com/digital-cameras/?tag=hdr;snav. You can try to match what you want with what is available for purchase.

Good luck! :)
nford
Hot Springs Village, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 14, 2010
5:11 AM

Post #7886836

psudan - Good closeups. Very sharp. Looks like you have a good camera for garden photography.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Cameras and Photography Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
photography(?) tink76627 7 Jul 25, 2011 5:03 AM
* FYI > Defect in some digital cameras * Magpye 24 Nov 7, 2007 12:48 PM
Anyone Use a Canon S2? melvatoo 25 Jul 31, 2007 4:14 PM
Digital Camera for sale MiniSchnuz 31 Apr 5, 2007 9:53 PM
swimming hole Iluvposies 10 Oct 4, 2007 2:33 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America