-
AuthorContent
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

March 16, 2010
4:46 AM

Post #7632813

I need to mail a plant to a friend in California (from Florida) - how should I pack it? Thanks!
Molamola
Christiansted, VI
(Zone 11)

March 16, 2010
5:09 AM

Post #7632846

Not in bubble wrap, too humid. Maybe newspapers crumpled and then packed generously but not too tightly all around. I believe they can get bruised inside the caudex.

And I'd overnight it via FedEx.

The plant will lose all it's leaves, let your friend be forewarned!

Melissa

KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

March 16, 2010
5:21 AM

Post #7632858

Melissa, can I remove all the soil? Should I rinse the caudex off and let it dry overnight?
kareoke
Greensburg, IN
(Zone 6a)

March 16, 2010
5:34 AM

Post #7632885

If it is an established plant I would leave enough soil on the roots so as not to disturb them, also put something around it to pro
tect it from getting crushed, if it is a small plant a toilet paper tube works good,if larger find something to hold the packing away from it, sending by Flate rate box is best as it gets there in two days, 3 at the most.

Doris
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

March 16, 2010
6:12 AM

Post #7632958

Thanks!
mnabity
Eagar, AZ
(Zone 6b)

March 29, 2010
3:59 PM

Post #7665127

If you haven't sent it yet, here is how mine was sent from Thailand:
First they rinsed off all the dirt and stripped the leaves and flowers. Then they dipped it in a sanitizing solution(a step you probably don't have to do since you are sending it within the US. They let it dry and gently wrapped it in newspaper and tucked enough crumpled newspaper around it to keep it from moving too much but not so much that it was squished in the box. It took about 2 weeks to get to me but they are in great shape, one even sprouted a new leaf in transit! Hope this helps if not you then someone else in the future.
Michelle
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

March 29, 2010
5:27 PM

Post #7665418

I sent it about a week ago - the recipient said it arrived just fine - thanks!
newtonsthirdlaw
Arlington, TX

March 30, 2010
12:02 PM

Post #7667384

Which company did you order from in Thailand?
Molamola
Christiansted, VI
(Zone 11)

March 30, 2010
5:06 PM

Post #7668041

Hm, I don't know everything after all. I received two small Adeniums from northern Florida, a six day trip for them. Still in pots, pots wrapped in plastic, the stems and leaves not, well stuffed with newspaper, and well packed against the squashers in the PO.

Both plants continued to grow in transit, some very pale leaves there! One plant lost a few of the bigger leaves once it was here a couple of days.
mnabity
Eagar, AZ
(Zone 6b)

March 30, 2010
6:20 PM

Post #7668174

Newtonsthirdlaw-I bought mine off ebay from siamflower_lover. They were very nice and reasonably priced(I think). The grafted plants are around $11-$12 and he does sell seeds ranging in price from about a buck for 30 of a specific type to $30 for a mix of 20 types 50 seeds each for a total of 1000(tere was actually about 55-60 of each type. Out of the first set of about 100 I planted, only four didn't come up, due to my error.
Michelle
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

March 30, 2010
9:10 PM

Post #7668560

http://stores.ebay.com/siamflower-lover

Is 99 cents the cost or do you have to bid?
mnabity
Eagar, AZ
(Zone 6b)

March 30, 2010
10:06 PM

Post #7668618

It was a bid but no one outbid me and even if they do he has tons listed and he usually offers you them if you do get outbid for the price you bid so one way or another you should get it for that. Good luck!
Michelle
kareoke
Greensburg, IN
(Zone 6a)

March 31, 2010
5:34 AM

Post #7668893

mnabity, since you had such good germination how did you plant them, or maybe I should ask what soil did you plant them in.

Doris
Molamola
Christiansted, VI
(Zone 11)

March 31, 2010
7:00 AM

Post #7669087

Some of them say, "Make Offer" That must mean, please buy this plant, I gotta get rid of it. Offer 2/3 of their price?

If I see they have a bunch, they sometimes say how many are available, I'll offer half price for several. I'm just getting started at this, so I don't have a story to tell yet.

Wilfred said he got started offering free seeds and advice to us because he had too many and was throwing into the compost seeds and baby seedlings by the hundred! He needs his own nursery, instead of the yard of where he rents. There's a perfect place here for him, a fellow has a nearly empty five acres that used to be full of nursery plants. Don't know if he lost a partner or what. Right on a busy main road. But Wilfred will never leave PR, I bet.

OK, I cannot yakk on forums all day, I'm starting to dream in forum postings. Not good!
mnabity
Eagar, AZ
(Zone 6b)

March 31, 2010
2:22 PM

Post #7670078

Poor Wilfred! As far as the make offers go, usually they will accept any reasonable offer, especially if you want several. If you offer and its denied just offer a little more until they accept. I know if I lived in a beautiful tropical place like you guys I would never leave.
Doris-here is what I did. I soaked the seeds overnight in warm water, the next morning I squeezed the husk and squirted the seed out(be careful if you do this cuz I shot a few across the room!). Then I carefully planted them (shallowly)in jiffy pellets that had been expanded with warm water and put them in a plastic seed starter green house. I misted them with a sprayer when the tops looked dried out and tilted the cover so it didn't get overly hot. If any condensation formed on the lids I wiped them down with a paper towel. I set them on my dining room table in indirect sunlight and prayed for them to grow lol! I also talked to them and never touched them when I was upset. I am getting ready to transplant them to their own pots in a few days so wish me luck! Oh I did have a few seeds that I didn't have pellets for so I put them in the pot with my grafted adenium and they sprouted as well so I think that the overnight soaking was what helped. Best of luck!
Michelle
Molamola
Christiansted, VI
(Zone 11)

March 31, 2010
4:06 PM

Post #7670291

LOL, I wish I could have watched that! Can you tell the bottom, back of the seed from the top? Do they come out sideways or lengthwise?

I am amazed. I have never ever heard of anyone treating seeds like that. Did you think that up yourself?

Jiffy pellets, eh?

And I shouldn't be gossiping about Wilfred. He is so fine.

OK,

Melissa
jlp222
Hammond, LA
(Zone 8b)

March 31, 2010
4:26 PM

Post #7670336

Just curious ;)... How much do they want for the 5 acres?
Molamola
Christiansted, VI
(Zone 11)

March 31, 2010
5:07 PM

Post #7670431

Oh, there's no "for Sale' sign, but if it were for sale, probably between 750 and a million since it's zoned commercial and centrally located on a very busy road.

Real estate here is rather expensive.
mnabity
Eagar, AZ
(Zone 6b)

March 31, 2010
5:28 PM

Post #7670475

I have no idea which end is up on the seeds. I just planted them lying flat and hoped for the best. I did have some that defied gravity and grew upside down so I gently took them out and replanted them right side up. Most of them just came up bent over and slowly straightened up.
I was told by the guy I got the seeds from to soak them but taking the husks off was an accidental discovery. I picked one up looking at it and guess I squeezed to hard cuz the seed shot me in the forehead! I figured that it might help them get the stuff they need to grow better so I kept doing it, hoping I wasn't messing up in the process.
Wilfred is such a great person. We need more like him in the world today. Well back to seeds packing. Happy gardening all!
Michelle
Molamola
Christiansted, VI
(Zone 11)

April 1, 2010
4:19 AM

Post #7671345

Michelle, I rashly quoted your seed adventure in another forum, without your permission. You already know the folks there, and our Ring Leader, of course, and we there wish you'd come visit.

I guess I need to go get some jiffy pellets, or maybe start making the newspaper planters that you roll onto a hot sauce bottle. The housework can wait! lol

I am going to see what a DR will do in an ebucket.
mnabity
Eagar, AZ
(Zone 6b)

April 1, 2010
12:33 PM

Post #7672339

Molamola- where is the forum? And how do you make planters from newspaper and a tabasco bottle?
Molamola
Christiansted, VI
(Zone 11)

April 1, 2010
1:06 PM

Post #7672392

Uh, oh, now I did it!

I hope this link doesn't get deleted, other links to cubits have. If there's a blank space below, google: cubits dot org and find Adeniums, and find "Wilfred is here, #5."

http://cubits.org/Adeniums/thread/view/16661/#top

Newspaper pots:

Get a newspaper, take one page of one section and cut strips three or four wide, the length of the paper. Loosely wrap around a small bottle, hot sauce size. Leaving about an inch overhang off the bottom. Go around the edge of the bottom of the bottle folding in the newspaper so the bottom of the bottle is covered. Then bang the bottom of the bottle a little, so to pack the folded part. Slip it off, and there you are, a little planter pot. for almost free. No more peat pots.

Burpee has a little tool for doing this, real cute!

http://www.burpee.com/product/seed starting/potmaker- 1 potmaker.do

OK!
newtonsthirdlaw
Arlington, TX

April 2, 2010
1:06 AM

Post #7673589

Any ever order any seedlings? There are some US companies that sell small plants. I am having trouble finding any larger plants for sale in my area. Guess I lucked out when I bought my one plant at a local place.
C

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Caudiciforms Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Adenium seedpod!! Indigoez 24 Apr 24, 2007 7:17 PM
Great case of mistaken identity GSkinner 16 Nov 22, 2007 2:20 PM
Flowering and Brighamia insignis, Hawaiian Vulcan Palm MartinDK 7 Aug 13, 2007 3:20 PM
Anyone grow Fockeas? Nan 8 Aug 13, 2007 3:30 PM
Brachychiton Nan 5 May 25, 2007 4:22 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America