Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Garden Talk: This year, I swear I will:

Communities > Forums > Garden Talk
bookmark
Forum: Garden TalkReplies: 47, Views: 282
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

March 17, 2010
10:21 AM

Post #7636139

I swear I will put a marker by EVERY single plant I own so I know what I am looking at in the Spring! :o)

Thumbnail by billyporter
Click the image for an enlarged view.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

March 17, 2010
12:06 PM

Post #7636370

Great resolution - is it too late?
marti001
Somerset, KY
(Zone 6b)

March 17, 2010
1:21 PM

Post #7636548

Here mini blinds! Here mini blinds! I need to see you!
happyNdirt
Summertown, TN
(Zone 7a)

March 17, 2010
1:28 PM

Post #7636564

LOL, I always swear I'll mark mine, too, and end up trying to decide if I'm seeing weeds or flowers popping up!

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

March 17, 2010
4:42 PM

Post #7636998

I do have a drawer full of mini blinds already cut and paint pens! It's never too late!
marti001
Somerset, KY
(Zone 6b)

March 17, 2010
4:47 PM

Post #7637006

I'm looking at the local flea market for mini blinds. Garage sales everwhere for them.

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

March 17, 2010
4:50 PM

Post #7637015

I got lucky an old shade broke. I almost cut mine too short at 6''. The frost will still heave them up, so cut long and push them in deep. I really like them tho!
marti001
Somerset, KY
(Zone 6b)

March 17, 2010
4:53 PM

Post #7637021

I stopped at a lady's house who grows daylilies and iris and she was telling me that her name tags, mini blinds, heave in the winter. You could see all the tags popped up out of the ground. She was in the process of resetting them.

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

March 17, 2010
5:03 PM

Post #7637056

Marti001, even the metal tags on the wire legs will get pushed out. Mini blinds will get brittle after a few years, but there are many to cut from a blind. Mine are white, but I think the rose-pink or blue would look nice too.
marti001
Somerset, KY
(Zone 6b)

March 17, 2010
5:09 PM

Post #7637069

I guess any color is good. I just want to be able to mark my plants so that I know who is who.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

March 17, 2010
6:30 PM

Post #7637278

Ain't it the truth!

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

March 18, 2010
4:01 AM

Post #7637931

Yep!
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

March 18, 2010
6:23 AM

Post #7638137

Photos are my back-up plan since so many labels have been dislodged by squirrels and the metal ones either had rusted and broken legs or else they cut my ankles and hands. Even the ones with rounded edges do not make for a gorgeous garden. I want the plants to be the feature and not the labels! When each one has a metal stake it looks like a mini graveyard to my eyes.

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

March 18, 2010
6:27 AM

Post #7638145

I do agree Pirl. The sun shining on the metal tags are really distracting. The blinds are a bit messy too, which is why I try to really push them in Trouble is, when I walk the beds, I don't recognize the tiny leaves right away :o)

I love your rock idea and may have to make DH spring for a truckload of them!
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

March 18, 2010
7:16 AM

Post #7638270

I too have marking issues. So I bought those nice metal tags but didn't like them too big and the mini blinds didn't stay put and the markers faded. So I figured out that if I put the blind down in the ground with only a tiny bit sticking out the marker wouldn't sun fade and the bind would stay put. It was working pretty good and then the Chickes decided to pull them all out and see what they were.
As far as the ? This year, I swear I will: My list is soooo long that I don't know where to start. LOL I guess it is in the record keeping part of gardening. Marking plants, keeping a plant list, knowing just what the plants are. I can't ID most of the varieties of my plants even if I knew what they were when I got them. Collecting seeds and then not marking them so I end up with little containers of seeds with no idea what they are. Yes I would say that record keeping is one of my big downfalls.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

March 18, 2010
8:18 AM

Post #7638376

Record keeping is the dull and boring part of gardening compared to being outside with the plants. The good news is that the older I get the less I fret over names and taking photos as I plant (from near and far), including the packaging or label, is my best insurance for those most important to me.

To answer the question that's the topic: I will enjoy more, worry less and have more fun in the garden.
vossner
Richmond, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 18, 2010
9:54 AM

Post #7638543

ditto what pirl said, but I have one more.

I would like to work on style. I no longer want every plant in God's creation, I want to display the ones that thrive in a graceful manner. How do I do that???? have no clue! But I solemnly swear I'm gonna study the subject.

ButterflyChaser
Northeast, AR
(Zone 7a)

March 18, 2010
10:00 AM

Post #7638556

I like all my plants labeled. I've collected over 500 named daylilies and I trade and sell them, so I need them to stay named.

For temporary markers, I use METAL miniblinds (bought at yard sales). With vinyl miniblinds, the first winter cracks them or breaks them, so they're useless.

For permanent markers, I invest in the Style E markers from Eon. Watch the co-ops forum here for good deals on the Eon markers. They come with a 10" stake that won't heave completely. I push mine almost all the way into the ground, leaving only about two inches of stake sticking out. If you don't like the look of the markers, you can always hide them behind your plant's foliage. I happen to like the look of them.

I also double-tag my plants. There's the stake marker above ground. And below ground is a vinyl wraparound nursery tag with the plant's name on it. If the stake marker goes missing, I can dig the plant and find the vinyl tag among its roots.

I use a Brother Ptouch labelmaker to make permanent labels that have never faded in 5 or so years of using them.

NancyAnn
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

March 18, 2010
10:53 AM

Post #7638679

I totally agree that anyone who sells plants does need the name with the plant. It was Nancy Ann who taught me to bury a label with each plant and it's worth it.

Nery - I agree with you. It's not about having every plant but showing them to best advantage.

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

March 18, 2010
11:14 AM

Post #7638720

HollAnnS, I go out every day with a clipboard and write down what is blooming. It's my way of stopping to smell the roses. I also keep a huge notebook with everything written down. I'm pretty good at keeping it updated. Gotta love the chickies! It's always something, isn't it :o)

Pirl, I like to keep lists so I think that part will stay with me. I like names for things and will bug my neighbor to find the correct name of a plant she gives me because I know she wrote it down :o)

Vossner, another great idea!! Style, I'm going to work on that one myself. I think Pirl has it :o) I'm still in the plop and fix later stage.

ButterflyChaser, I'd love to see all 500 in bloom! Yes, mine are the plastic and they do. I've been trying to include the marker in the picture. That's a big help! You have a good system! Especially when you can't afford to have tags go missing.

We've got some nice ideas going here!

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

March 19, 2010
5:08 AM

Post #7640261

I will mark every tiny Blue Flag that blooms. They fade away and I forget where they are. I must dig into them because they haven't multiplied like I want them to.
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

March 19, 2010
5:21 AM

Post #7640281

billyporter, I take my camera out most mornings so I have thousands of pictures and no notes I think that is a great idea I really don't need 10 more pictures of those crocus but a notebook that tells me what is blooming, when it blooms and where it is would be useful. I do keep my plant tags, have started a DG journal (not that there is much in it) and I have one graft paper chart of one of the beds. Small steps
vossner
Richmond, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 19, 2010
10:59 AM

Post #7640922

I say I know nothing about garden style, but maybe I've underestimated myself a little...

Here is my getup this morning, planting my new lilies, weeding a little, and staying hydrated.

Thumbnail by vossner

WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

March 19, 2010
11:52 AM

Post #7641015

I like the Red. I have not come close to marking what is what and I am getting to the point I do not care. I promised myself and my DH no more new beds. Just enjoy the ones I have. I will let you know if I make it. I should because I have three new ones that are just about empty. I made them before the pledge.

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

March 22, 2010
5:18 AM

Post #7647266

HollyAnne, I now have three more pictures of the only crocus I've had for years, so I'm ROTFL!! We can't help ourselves!! Yep, small steps! Still laughing, I just remembered DH took the camera out yesterday afternoon to get a picture of the crocus!!

Vossner, I love it!!!

WormsLoveSharon, you are a lady after my own heart!!

This year I HAVE to mark tulips. I dug almost all of them up and, having no place to really transplant them to, they all line my garden in single file. I had such a mess. The leftovers were dumped on the ground and covered with a mound of dirt. I think every one grew :o)

Now where do I plant everything!!!

Thumbnail by billyporter

HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

March 22, 2010
5:56 AM

Post #7647319

Oh but they are so pretty. Can't you just hear them calling out take my Picture? LOL
I did spend some time working on my DG journal yesterday morning and probably will do some today as it is raining. I actually had the bags many of my bulbs came in last year up in the plant room. I had saved them all winter long waiting for me to write their names down someplace. Do you think I could have found a half hour sometime in the last several months to do it?

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

March 22, 2010
6:10 AM

Post #7647344

Oh, they are beautiful! I love the water droplets! I'll bet the other pictures don't have water droplets!

Laughing, there's never enough time in a day!

I think this is the best picture yet :o)

Thumbnail by billyporter

HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

March 22, 2010
6:48 AM

Post #7647433

Oh they are soo pretty. I have a mere 8,000 or so pics. Ric has been after me to go though them and reduce the size of my picture file.

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

March 22, 2010
7:03 AM

Post #7647464

HollyAnn, just get an external drive! I only delete the fuzzy or bad ones and still keep almost all of them. I have folders galore and I still haven't filled it up!
ButterflyChaser
Northeast, AR
(Zone 7a)

March 22, 2010
8:48 AM

Post #7647701

This year, I swear I will grow more edibles. In fact I'm discussing have a small community garden with some other health-conscious friends who want to grow their own food. We're even talking about hoop houses for winter growing. I would just love to bite into a big juicy tomato homegrown here on my property in Jan. Mmmmm Mmmmmm.

NancyAnn

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

March 22, 2010
10:55 AM

Post #7647955

NancyAnn, a very good swear! A community garden would help a lot of people out! Yep, your own tomato, there's nothing like it. I even love the smell of the tomato plant.
birder17
Jackson, MO
(Zone 6b)

March 28, 2010
3:05 PM

Post #7662717

For markers, I have used the flags that the utility company uses to mark where the "lines" are. I have used magic markers on them and so far it has worked pretty well for me. I have tried a lot of things: metal markers with paint, blinds with grease pencil, and these flags. I try to push the markers, whatever the type, deep into the ground. I am always looking ahead of me and stumbling into a marker. If it's deep in the ground, it doesn't look so messy, I don't stumble over it as easy, and it doesn't seem to get so sun bleached.
I have had daylilies I have been going to figure out what their names are and label them for more years than I want to even admit to. I just can't seem to get my act together well enough at the time they bloom to get much labeling done. Besides, if you don't know the names of them, how the heck are you going to label them? And there's thousands of daylilies and many look almost the same. I bought my daylilies locally from a lady that hybridizes them and sells them around the world. My daylilies are beautiful, but I just wish I knew the names of them.
If anyone has a suggestion for this problem, I would welcome ideas.
I also used the flags to mark where I planted seeds. I often forget just where I sowed seeds. This has helped.

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

March 28, 2010
3:25 PM

Post #7662762

Birder17, I have orange flags and am going to use them in the garden this year. I use green stakes and my big fear is bending over and poking my eye out as my neighbor almost did. I grab the stake, but someday I'm going to forget.

I think any color but orange flags would work well. Sometimes color in a bed just looks nice.

I have had to name a lot of my no ID flowers myself. I'm almost compulsive to name things, but that's just me. I just want the right name!
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

March 28, 2010
3:25 PM

Post #7662763

billyporter, I just got a Western Digital 250 gig external drive for Holly to back up her photos, now all I have to do is see it gets done regularly. Ric

I do also remember some years ago thinking a 30 gig would take forever to fill. LOL :-)
The metal minis do make more perm. markers.

This message was edited Mar 28, 2010 6:26 PM

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

March 28, 2010
3:39 PM

Post #7662789

Ric, I love my external drive and yep, it's barely full :o)

I unload the camera and move them to a folder named ABC Holding Tank, just to make sure they go where I can find them. Later I name them and move them into folders.

Works for me!
birder17
Jackson, MO
(Zone 6b)

March 28, 2010
3:42 PM

Post #7662795

My goal this year is to try to rearrange my flowers so they complement each other a little better. However, I have to admit my hit and miss has done pretty well. And, then there's the "by chance" something seeds next to something else, and it turns out looking pretty nice too.
I also have a couple of shady gardens that really need some color in them. I do not want hostas--everyone around here has hostas. I would like to get some columbine and astilbe going in the shaded beds. I have W.S. some columbine but nothing has sprouted yet.
I think there's some bulbs that do well in the shade==not very many=but I think there are some. I need to look into that as a possibility also. I have been looking at brunerra also. But, from what I have read, it is a short lived perennial. It's too expensive for a "short lived" perennial. I like the looks of them however. I don't know if they can be winter sown or not? It would probably be the only way I would grow it. Then, there's pulmonaria, but I think I have read that it can be agressive?? And there's also lamium, again, it's a ground cover, and I think it would be something I would always have to keep in it's bounds????
birder17
Jackson, MO
(Zone 6b)

March 28, 2010
3:49 PM

Post #7662813

billyporter: Yes, poking the eye out is certainly something to be cautious about, and I had not thought of that. I think by pushing them deeply into the ground would be helpful, and I am going to go push all of mine into the ground==not today. It's cold and overcast out. It rained last night and part of today. We have had six inches this past week not counting the rain we received in the last 24 hours. This next week is suppose to be sunny and warmer.

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

March 28, 2010
4:07 PM

Post #7662846

Birder, also my goal this year. I had one of those accidental beds :o)

Two columbine that return true to color are Red Hobbit - Aquilgia caerula. It's a gorgeous red! And Swallowtail - aquilegia x species. A long tailed yellow. I'll post a picture of both. I ordered both from High Country Gardens. Corydalis is another plant that does well in the shade, is almost the first thing to green up nad had yellow blooms all summer!

Wow, you really got the rain. We got enough, but not that much!

Thumbnail by billyporter

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

March 28, 2010
4:08 PM

Post #7662849

Swallowtail

Thumbnail by billyporter

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

March 28, 2010
4:44 PM

Post #7662904

Love the spurs on Swallowtail!

It's always wise to be cautious about your eyes and not walk into things:

Thumbnail by pirl

WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

March 28, 2010
5:02 PM

Post #7662956

Pirl, I hope that is an old injury.
birder17
Jackson, MO
(Zone 6b)

March 28, 2010
5:07 PM

Post #7662967

billyporter: Thanks for the pics. Both flowers are beautiful and I want them!! I have an order in at High Country Gardens. I love their catalog. They have so many beautiful flowers and they are suppose to be drought tolerant. My only fear is the plants from them may not make it because we get too much rain! I am on a hill, so I am hoping the flowers will make it because they have good drainage, but then again, I have clay soil. Well, gardening is always a challenge and an experiment.
I W.S. some Wild Snapdragon this year. First, I hope it sprouts and makes it to get out and be planted. Then, I hope it makes it through the winter and doesn't rot. Here it is in the High Country Gardens website. http://www.highcountrygardens.com/catalog/product/75755/ I don't even know if the stuff will sprout. It said on the seed pkt to keep it in the frig for 8 weeks before sowing. Next week will be 8 weeks.
billyporter: Do you know if I can get either of these plants via seed? Also, do you know if they would come back true to the mother plant? And, I think you are saying that they do well in shade? I have some columbine in bright shade and they are happy. I W.S. some barlow last year and I noticed they are up and thriving. It was a mix so I am curious what color they will be. Yes, gardening is fun!
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

March 28, 2010
5:17 PM

Post #7662985

Sharon - 12/15/09. No permanent injury but it looked awful for quite awhile.
WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

March 28, 2010
8:23 PM

Post #7663321

Thank God, I was ready to fly out there and take care of you. The reunion is just over. We now have Spring Break at our home for the next three days. My brother lives in Pioche, Nevada that is 5700ft above sea level. They are buried in snow. So I e-mailed them two weeks ago and said, why not do "Spring Break" at our home in Las Vegas. I will heat the pool, and we can have a great time seeing many things. Thank God I have a daughter that is taking over. I only have to supply the checkbook. NO PROBLEM...I will give you an update. Today was a blast. I will open the garage door tomorrow and show you what I need to plant and my Rosey Dawn order that will be here tomorrow. Love you.

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

March 29, 2010
4:26 AM

Post #7663613

Oh Pirl, that's too close for comfort!

Birder, I have mine planted under a walnut tree in regular ground dirt, but you could buy a small bag of clean sand at a Menards and mix it in. Also layer it around the plant after planting to protect the crown. Columbine are pretty tough, but do like rocky or sandy soil that has organic matter mixed in. I think they would do just fine for you.

I looked in Thompson Morgan for the columbine seed, but I don't think they have it. My plants took a year of growing before they bloomed too.

WormsLovSharon, spring break at your house sounds like a great time! I'll bet your brother was so ready to come!

I have buckets of amended dirt in my garage that is meant for the orienytal lily bed that I need to create, but don't know where to put yet. That's my next I swear! I'll move some near a window so I can smell them!
birder17
Jackson, MO
(Zone 6b)

March 29, 2010
7:55 AM

Post #7664062

billyporter: so you are suggesting sand around the plant on top of soil? I would not have thought of that.

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

March 29, 2010
9:19 AM

Post #7664255

Birdie, yes, or even just the tiny gravel. It would keep the crown drier if that's a problem.

This was the old entrance to the garage before the owner moved it, so it was a muddy sort of rock. I've dug a lot of it out. replacing it with better dirt for other plantings. The columbine is common and dug from my Grandpa's sandy timber. It does well here.

This was in 2007

Thumbnail by billyporter

birder17
Jackson, MO
(Zone 6b)

March 29, 2010
2:58 PM

Post #7664972

Very nice billyp. Your bed looks so very clean and neat. Isn't it great to have things from your grandparents growing in your bed?

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Garden Talk Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Vines for shade Foxglove 27 Aug 23, 2007 2:17 AM
wierd bug problem Ivey 9 Mar 7, 2010 7:54 PM
The ComposTumbler dave 43 Apr 18, 2009 5:06 AM
Are there any plants that discourage snakes? If not, any other ideas? Carol7 35 Aug 23, 2007 12:37 AM
Vine support pole Dinu 11 Jan 13, 2014 1:26 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America