Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Winter Sowing: Will they be safe tonight?

Communities > Forums > Winter Sowing
bookmark
Forum: Winter SowingReplies: 2, Views: 29
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
gloriag
Floyd, VA
(Zone 6b)

March 17, 2010
5:11 PM

Post #7637079

I am sowing under lights right now. We had about 90 days of snow cover well before it
was time to put the jugs out. I wasn't able to get any outside, but the weather is warming
up and the snow is gone. I am going to do several jugs but not like last year (140 types
of perennials.) There were a lot I never got into the ground.

Question. I have a trunk full of perennials from a greenhouse. The temps will get down
to 32 degrees about 7:00 am for an hour or so. I have put a gallon+ of very hot water in
the trunk in the middle of them. I think they will be OK considering how briefly it will be
freezing. What do you think?
CapeCodGardener
Mid-Cape, MA
(Zone 7a)

March 19, 2010
6:22 PM

Post #7641758

Hi gloriag,
Considering that your plants are inside your car's trunk and you have a water-container of hot water in with them, I would think that they'd be fine for an hour of 32 F..
Actually, now that I look at the date of your post (2 days ago) you probably know the result already! Did everything come through OK?
gloriag
Floyd, VA
(Zone 6b)

March 19, 2010
6:33 PM

Post #7641778

Yes, they made it. Now they are under a sloping shelter and have to make it
on their own unless we get frost. If that happens, I will put remay over them; it
gives 4 degrees of protection. Thanks for the advice though.

This morning was wonderful. I went around to black plastic pots to see if any
perennial seedlings survived the winter and many of them did. In addition, I am putting seeds in those deep plastic cells so they can germinate soon. I am
just nuts about seedlings and germination. At least I have met some fellow
garden obsessives here. This year I am determined to grow delphiniums and oriental poppies to bloom next year. I fail regularly on them.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Winter Sowing Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Winter Sowing Seed Swap .....part 2 alicewho 213 Mar 23, 2007 1:01 PM
Lessons learned for next year #2 zenpotter 256 Mar 23, 2007 7:56 AM
Milk jugs TurtleChi 99 Mar 19, 2007 12:20 PM
WS Poppies & transplant problems marie_ 100 May 11, 2011 4:44 PM
Database germination info bluespiral 6 Mar 5, 2008 12:23 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America