Hard to believe how time has flown, but the16th DG annual photo contest has begun! Find the details here. Best wishes to all the entrants!!!

Peppers Flowering - What Next?

Columbia, MO

Hey Guys!

I've got 6 pepper plants growing (2 pretty purple, a white habanero, a congo black, a ghost and some marbles) under a light. They all seem to be doing excellent (I kind of baby them). My pretty purples and white habaneros are flowering, with some of the flowers on the pretty purples beginning to grow some little peppers.
Should I be doing anything different from this point on? I'd like to move them outside, but I've still got at least two months before I can do that. I guess my question is, should I be helping these guys pollinate with themselves so they don't cross pollinate?

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

If they are indoors, they are probably self-pollinating as the pollen is insect borne, not wind borne.
Make sure that they are in a big enough container so that the roots are not stressed. You'll get better production that way.

Many folks help indoors plants along by buzzing the blossoms with a battery powered toothbrush. Just make sure it is clean when you move it to a different variety.

Caneyville, KY(Zone 6b)

Melody, please explain the "buzzing the blossoms". Touch the inside of the blossom, the outside, the stem below the blossom? I'm growing 8-10 peppers this year (and want to save seeds, so they'll be under some kind of covering) and I'll need to know how to do that. Thanks

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

You can just vibrate the stem and branch next to the blossom. No need to do any work inside of the flower, you might do more damage than good with a toothbrush. As long as the flower gets a good shake, it does not matter if you are right on it. A few seconds should be plenty of time to get the pollen moved around.

Caneyville, KY(Zone 6b)

Thanks, Melody.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.