-
AuthorContent
Kgb4013
Broxton, GA
(Zone 8b)

March 18, 2010
6:03 PM

Post #7639565

Can anyone tell me of a cheap source for fertilizer tablets? I have probably 40 or more plants that I need to repot & fertilize. They will be too expensive at Lowes. Sharon, Broxton, Ga zone 8(b)?

Thumbnail by Kgb4013
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

March 18, 2010
6:54 PM

Post #7639688

40 plants are a lot! :-)

I found that if I have to fertilize every month, it won't get done. I use the year long spikes http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=9528 - I don't know if the costs even out or not between the monthly and the year long fertilizers. I try to buy my supplies in September when they are usually on sale.

Thumbnail by Carolyn22

Kgb4013
Broxton, GA
(Zone 8b)

March 18, 2010
7:59 PM

Post #7639840

You have a beautiful pond and fish, thanks for the info. I didn't know that you had to fertilize monthly. Sharon

Thumbnail by Kgb4013

Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

March 19, 2010
1:39 AM

Post #7640117

Sharon

Thank you. You have a gorgeous pond - how big is it?
Kgb4013
Broxton, GA
(Zone 8b)

March 19, 2010
7:15 AM

Post #7640484

My pond is app. 18' x 38'. It is lined with perma-lon. It is shoulder deep on 1 side and knee deep on the waterfall side. I have a 12" deep shelf almost all the way around for plants. I have a major problem with algae. I need a UV light but the expense for 1 that large is too much for me right now. I have a couple of small ones but they are not sufficent. I have more photos on Robin Rudys web site. Thanks for the compliment. Sharon

Thumbnail by Kgb4013

hoitider
Emerald Isle, NC

March 19, 2010
10:41 AM

Post #7640869

I buy my fertilzer tablest by the 100 from Texas Water lily 10.00,for pond plants
Kgb4013
Broxton, GA
(Zone 8b)

March 19, 2010
12:21 PM

Post #7641060

Thanks that sounds reasonable. Sharon

Thumbnail by Kgb4013

mothermole
Deer Park, IL
(Zone 5b)

March 21, 2010
4:47 PM

Post #7646267

I bought TWL tabs last year. Only problem is that they literally fall apart in your hands if your hands or fingers are wet. As you push them into the potted plants, they turn to mush. The flowers bloomed nicely but the algae I experienced using them was awful. I have a UV light on my pond as well that is oversized for my pond and a very good brand but the tabs must be feeding that algae. I have also bought the other tabs that Carolyn recommended and they are much harder on the outside and don't fall apart so easily. They also worked very well and less work and mess as you don't have to keep digging in your pond and pulling your plants out. BUT they are more expensive. For me I prefer easy and paying more easily when it means less work and time for me (vacuuming algae out of a pond is a very hard and time consuming as well as exhausting job. . . My pond is 4.5 feet deep and approx. 17 feet by 14 feet. I am starting to forget the size . . . LOL!
Kgb4013
Broxton, GA
(Zone 8b)

March 21, 2010
5:29 PM

Post #7646393

Do you fertilize all your pond plants or only the ones that bloom such as iris? I have a golden club in the greenhouse that is blooming now and I have it potted in cat litter. I guess I can call the gold spike a bloom? Sharon

Thumbnail by Kgb4013

mothermole
Deer Park, IL
(Zone 5b)

March 21, 2010
6:06 PM

Post #7646511

only the waterlilys (hardy and tropical) and lotus. The iris do fine on their own with the koi fertilizer . . .
Kgb4013
Broxton, GA
(Zone 8b)

March 21, 2010
6:15 PM

Post #7646542

Thanks, Sharon

Thumbnail by Kgb4013

Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

March 21, 2010
6:37 PM

Post #7646588

I just fertilize my waterlilies too. The water iris and other water plants seem to fluorish on their own. I could be the fish wastes as Linda has suggested

Thumbnail by Carolyn22

ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

March 23, 2010
8:00 AM

Post #7650119

I must have been lucky because the fertilizer tabs I got from TX water lilies hold up fine for me and I fertilize my lotus and tropical lilies every 2 weeks here where the water gets hot and the plants use more food.

If you feed well the plants will get larger, bloom better and cover more of the surface of the water. That alone will help with the algae. I always try for 75% coverage.

Good luck, your pond is beautiful and I envy you all that water to plant in. :-)
mothermole
Deer Park, IL
(Zone 5b)

March 23, 2010
11:28 AM

Post #7650605

Ardesia (interesting user name): There is a huge difference in zones with regards to the h2o lillys. If we don't have a hot summer and a quick start in spring I will not get much in the way of blooms. Algae blooms yes, but limited water lily blooms. I started focusing more on plants that bloom early and often rather than the ones that look fantastic in magazines and pictures. How I wish I could grow a blue tropical in my pond but there just doesn't seem to be enough time for it to grow and bloom before the summer is over.

It must be great living in a 9a zone (better than a 5a zone . . .) your fish must be huge!
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

March 23, 2010
2:53 PM

Post #7650931

LOL, we never have to worry about summer not being hot enough around here. Although, we never thought we would have to worry about a cold winter either and this one proved us wrong.

I just have a tiny pond now but I have had a larger one and yes, I thought the the fish were enormous at around 16".

How about it you started a blue tropical in a bucket; the small amount of water would warm up quickly then you could move it to the pond as the weather warms? I think you need a blue lily. :-)
mothermole
Deer Park, IL
(Zone 5b)

March 23, 2010
6:54 PM

Post #7651474

I've tried it-not worry the expensive or fuss. . . unfortunately. Maybe in my next home I will get a warmer climate zone and a green house. I can dream . . LOL!
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

March 24, 2010
1:46 AM

Post #7651969

Linda

you keep dreaming - one never knows. I have already decided how my green house and pond will be in my next house. Have not decided on the type of house yet though. As you said, one can dream...
snapple45
Holland, OH
(Zone 5b)

March 27, 2010
12:11 PM

Post #7660245

The absolute best fertilizer tabs for blooming pond plants that I've found is Highland Rim. Note the fertilizer formula: 10-26-10.
The middle number is phosphorus. Phosphorus is necessary for flowers. You will absolutely get more and bigger flowers.
The link below is just one of several sources. Shop around for the best price. Whatever you finally choose, if its flowers you want, you want a high middle number in the fertilizer formula.

http://www.pondbiz.com/home/pb1/page_3184/highland_rim_aquatic_plant_fertilizer_tabs_36_tab_.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=base&utm_campaign=newpondbiz
joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

June 5, 2010
3:20 PM

Post #7861768

hoitider...

When you go to TWL's site it says 100 tabs for $10, but when you go to order them it comes up 50 tabs for $10. Did you buy this year and get 100/$10? Just wondering, cause several of us were going to go together and get a bunch and save on shipping costs, but we really want 100!!!!!

:O)
hoitider
Emerald Isle, NC

June 10, 2010
5:44 AM

Post #7875193

You know you might be right will have to go down and check the bag, i thought their were a hundered but maybe not,like you I have about ten pond contaiers with all types of water lilies hardy and tropical,lotus water iris and ect, it takes a lot of fertilizer if you want additional blooms,sine yuor big in ponding maybe we have different plants you might be intrested in trading,I am trying to get rid of nutria,and possums that keep eating my plants in two half acre ponds,and one salt water pond,so ive kept most all the plants in large fiber glass pots,will get back to you on the amount of tabs,i kinda of think it migt be fifty LOL Hoitider
joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

June 10, 2010
8:25 AM

Post #7875621

I like the idea of 100 better!!

I only have one named lily, and a whole bunch of "unidentified" in the pond right now. As soon as they bloom, I'm sticking a tag in them that says what color they are. So far this season, I'm up to 4 white ones!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Water Gardens Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Lotus/Kitty Litter Mardell 36 Jun 21, 2011 5:29 AM
This is my waterpond before we started the new construction! TraciS 9 Feb 19, 2008 1:35 PM
No Pump Water Garden gardening101usa 4 Mar 12, 2007 5:50 PM
Easy and inexpensive pond... BigDaddy99 85 Aug 8, 2008 11:05 PM
How many ponders are out there ?? List your names - Update! judycooksey 364 Jul 24, 2014 8:15 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America