Photo by Melody

Winter Sowing: Use those kitchen sheers!

Communities > Forums > Winter Sowing
bookmark
Forum: Winter SowingReplies: 15, Views: 143
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Pippi21
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 6b)

March 18, 2010
6:44 PM

Post #7639656

On one of the threads, somebody mentioned that she uses her kitchen sheers to cut her milk jugs and I tried it and you'll be surprized how much quicker it is than using a box cutter and you can guide them easier. and its you to cut straigher lines. On my jugs that I used the box cutter, if I was graded on the cuts, I'd get an F. Duct tape hides a lot of crooked cuts. Just thought I'd pass this along. I don't use my kitchen sheers for anything else so why not? Maybe just put them in with your WS supplies and that way they won't be grabbed for anything else(food) or go and buy a second pr. to have for food preparation if you want to.

Celene

Celene
Columbus, OH

March 18, 2010
6:49 PM

Post #7639674

I use bandage scissors so I don't gash myself. Not that I took a chunk out of my thigh stabbing a milk jug or anything. Nope. Not me.
Pippi21
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 6b)

March 18, 2010
7:16 PM

Post #7639735

I was using a soldering tool to put my holes in my jugs and I was scared I'd laid it down or it would roll off the ceramic tile I was using to prop it up on on to the new counter top, plus the fumes it caused, so the other night I just reached for this old pair of long bladed scissors that used to be my MIL's and by golly, they worked beautifully, so will use them from now on unless it is some type of container that the scissors won't go through. Another lesson learned!

Also cut my foil tape ahead of time, eyeballing the length I'd need instead of using the measuring tape around the jug before I cut it, then measuring out that much. That foil tape is expensive so I don't want to waste it. If I cut the length too short, I just cut another piece to add to the area where it didn't meet around.

I need to make a not ahead of time what seeds to cover or not cover..Attach a note to seed pkt. Stopping to read my chart I have each time I go to sow a specific kind of seed is time consuming or wasted time, I should say. Organize!Organize! That's my goal so it will speed up the process for me next year and even this year. Still have lots I want to sow.
Pippi21
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 6b)

March 19, 2010
7:33 PM

Post #7642000

Celene..bandage scissors..by any chance are you a nurse?

Celene

Celene
Columbus, OH

March 19, 2010
8:11 PM

Post #7642107

No, I manage a veterinary clinic :)
Pippi21
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 6b)

March 20, 2010
5:19 AM

Post #7642608

Good enough reason to have bandage scissors also!
gloriag
Floyd, VA
(Zone 6b)

March 25, 2010
8:28 AM

Post #7654818

Pippi, I bought a pair of kitchen shears at Dollar Tree; they work wonderfully; if they get dull, I will buy another pair for $1!
PAMSPACE
Temperanceville, VA
(Zone 7a)

March 26, 2010
8:09 AM

Post #7657494

I used a drill with a small Phillips head on it, Worked great, also can start a hole for those bandage scissors (yes, I am a firstborn girl!)

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

March 26, 2010
9:07 AM

Post #7657659

I heat up two phillips screwdrivers on my electric stove burners and burn the holes in. Goes really quickly alternating the screwdrivers!

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

March 26, 2010
9:08 AM

Post #7657661

See.

Thumbnail by Gymgirl
Click the image for an enlarged view.

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 27, 2010
10:45 AM

Post #7660106

My DH would kill me if I used one of the screwdrivers like that, Linda! LOL He used a box cutter and the kitchen scissors this year. I think we're going to go back to drilling next year.
gloriag
Floyd, VA
(Zone 6b)

March 27, 2010
3:16 PM

Post #7660565

Pam, a fellow Virginian. I can't believe there is a town named Temperance in VA. You probably don't have an AA or any drunks there either, do you? LOL
But then we had Po-white (my punctuation and the common pronounciation) and Bump-ass (my punctuation and local pronounciation LOL)

But, Sweetie, You need to have a fan blowing or a ventilator fan blowing or an open window VERY close to the stove because those plastic fumes are toxic.
Please be careful. I hold my soldering iron and plastic right in front of the bathroom exhaust fan when I do it, and you should see the ugly gray smoke oozing through the fan!
kqcrna
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 27, 2010
6:56 PM

Post #7660982

I can't believe what a big deal you all make of poking a few holes. I make a few stabs with a pair of scissors and I'm done.

Karen

Celene

Celene
Columbus, OH

March 27, 2010
8:04 PM

Post #7661096

I use a soldering iron, but I do use bandage scissors to slice the jugs in half.

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 28, 2010
7:11 AM

Post #7661707

Karen~I'm a perfectionist. LOL LOL I must over achieve on the hole making in my jugs.

PAMSPACE
Temperanceville, VA
(Zone 7a)

March 30, 2010
10:22 AM

Post #7667160

gloriag,

Yeh right! We have more than our share of good ole boys. Like there is much else to do here on the Shore at this time of year. We have a lake in front of our house that is about 40' x 80'. Have to wear boots just to get to the driveway so I can go to work. My DH's family comes from out your way, Dublin, very familiar with the area. I have to go home and charge my drill, sneaking out of the secret gov't installation I work at with two bags full of 12 oz water bottles. They make great repotting pots for petunias, peppers. Still have about 3 hours of repotting to do after I modify those bottles, then I guess I'll try to refurbish my mini-greenhouse again for those maters.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Winter Sowing Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Winter Sowing Seed Swap .....part 2 alicewho 213 Mar 23, 2007 1:01 PM
Lessons learned for next year #2 zenpotter 256 Mar 23, 2007 7:56 AM
Milk jugs TurtleChi 99 Mar 19, 2007 12:20 PM
WS Poppies & transplant problems marie_ 100 May 11, 2011 4:44 PM
Database germination info bluespiral 6 Mar 5, 2008 12:23 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America