-
AuthorContent
Pippi21
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 6b)

March 18, 2010
7:06 PM

Post #7639704

It is fascinating to me how many methods are being used to WS..I've read where some people use baggies/ziplock bags and I'd love to know more about this method. How do you keep the Squirrells, chipmunks and Bambi and Friends from bothering them? If you have pictures of how you do the ziplock/baggie plainting, please post for all to see.
LiseP
San Antonio, TX
(Zone 8b)

March 22, 2010
4:50 AM

Post #7647219

I don't do it, but this thread topic reminds me of a craft project I saw online of using one of those hanging shoe holders with all the pockets. Fill pockets with soil, make sure they drain, and off you go. http://greenupgrader.com/8460/diy-vertical-herb-garden-with-a-shoe-organizer/

I thought it was a clever idea, but I haven't ever tried it.

blomma

blomma
Wyoming, WY
(Zone 4a)

September 2, 2010
6:06 PM

Post #8077276

Hi Pippi, I have used baggies with moist paper towels in the frig. However, I have also wintersowed outside using clear plastic shoe boxes from Walmart.

I just make drainage holes, fill with potting soil and sow the seeds. I use this method only on seeds that require a cold treatment of flunctuating temp like irises

Below are 3 boxes. One (right) is filled with soil and iris seeds. The other 2 have Clematis in containers. They are covered and located on the north side of my house. They stayed there from October 2009 to April 2010. I then bought the containers in and placed under plant lights. The seeds germinated in the warmer temperature of the house. I could have left it outside but more control in the house.

The Irises are in my coldframe over winter. Clematis (from trade) didn't germinate.

This message was edited Sep 2, 2010 6:10 PM

Thumbnail by blomma
Click the image for an enlarged view.

CapeCodGardener
Mid-Cape, MA
(Zone 7a)

September 4, 2010
7:59 AM

Post #8079848

Pippi21, there was a long thread a year or so ago which opened with Grampapa describing the use of plastic bags inside plastic boxes. The quote is from several months later, when Grampapa described success with this method. You can see the despription of the original method in the very first posting on this thread

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/809636/?hl=ziplock baggie winter sowing

And here's the quote:
Quoting:I was very happy with my results with the bags/clear tubs combo. I had a very good germination ratio, I think. kept very poor records this year, but in one tub of 24 bags all but one germinated. they weren't all that good, but that may have been the seed. I'll be using it again. I still have plants that I haven't planted (I know, don't get me started on that...). They bloomed and grew really great right in those bags. The bags do tend to get brittle after a while, but by then you have a cube of soil filled with roots and the bag doesn't have a purpose any more.

I myself have tried the baggie method and did not have the success I expected, probably because I didn't really have the right combination with them of protection and drainage. The baggies lolled sideways; my soil got mossy inside and the seeds either didn't germinate, or rotted. My fault, because others have had success with them, but for me, a more rigid container like milk jugs and large plastic bottles are easier. If I had them, plastic boxes with holes in the top and bottom would probably work, too.

There is a thread somewhere where a helpful person includes an illustration of how to prepare plastic baggies for wintersowing (basically, making several small vertical cuts for drainage in the bottom of the bag.) I just couldn't find it. Perhaps someone else can.

blomma

blomma
Wyoming, WY
(Zone 4a)

September 4, 2010
3:47 PM

Post #8080497

Here are the iris seedlings that sprouted in the shoe box in May 2010. They are spending the winter unprotected in my coldframe along with daylily seedlings.

Thumbnail by blomma
Click the image for an enlarged view.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Winter Sowing Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Winter Sowing Seed Swap .....part 2 alicewho 213 Mar 23, 2007 1:01 PM
Lessons learned for next year #2 zenpotter 256 Mar 23, 2007 7:56 AM
Milk jugs TurtleChi 99 Mar 19, 2007 12:20 PM
WS Poppies & transplant problems marie_ 100 May 11, 2011 4:44 PM
Database germination info bluespiral 6 Mar 5, 2008 12:23 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America