Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

Chit Chat Continues...

North Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

We came from here http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1076923/#new

Thumbnail by duckmother
Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

We started the day in London (AR).

Thumbnail by cperdue
Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Checking the list!

Thumbnail by cperdue
Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

The loot from Pine Ridge in London.

Thumbnail by cperdue
Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

After 4 stops!

Thumbnail by cperdue
Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Another view.

Thumbnail by cperdue
Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

And still another view.

Thumbnail by cperdue
Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Kathy Ann's car loaded up for the trip home.

Thumbnail by cperdue
Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

And her trunk.

Thumbnail by cperdue

Wow! Look at all that stuff. We had such a wonderful time...but we always do!

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

here's a few pics that I took

Thumbnail by kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

Well, of course I didn't take that one above LOL but I took these

LOL

Thumbnail by kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

and another, I'm gonna have to work all weekend to make up for what i spent yesterday LOL

Thumbnail by kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

Caught them pigging out LOL

We worked up a hunger.

Thumbnail by kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

The loot!

Thumbnail by kathy_ann
Lakeland / Memphis, TN(Zone 7a)

Oh - I am green with envy. All the fun ya'll had and all the plants you got. Did you get some good deals ? Kenny, Jim and I went to Dan West last Sunday, but they haven't started putting much out yet. We felt like it was a little early here. Now, Lowe's and Home Depot are putting out their stuff - so it is really ramping up over here this week.
Cute pics. Plant friends are the best ! I can't believe Charlotte, you and Marilyn aren't coming over here on Friday for the nursery run in Memphis.

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

When I took a shower last night, I discovered I had brought one more thing home "a tick"!!!

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

I think I have chiggers, I rubbed my leg down with bleach this morning and that critter is still crawling around, I can't see it so I think it's chiggers.

Well, I did not bring home anything extra...well, maybe, a couple of extra pounds from all of the food I ate ;o)

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

I found my tick - he was on my rib cage. But I have a patch of something on my right hand that I think is poison ivy! Probably got that working in the yard this week as I don't think it would break out overnight. But I wore gloves when I was picking stuff up!!

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

Well, as usual, I bought the most plants, I can't control myself when it comes to that, besides I have a new garden to fill up one of these days LOL

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Serves you right, Charlotte and Kathy Ann, for not taking advantage of my bug repellant lotion. I didn't bring home any critters! LOL

Good pictures from both of you. Kathy Ann, I noticed your plate was licked clean, too! LOL

Ripley, MS

Who bought the leopard plant ? Terrye got one of those from Rita a couple of years back and hers didn't make it, so I would love to hear how it thrives for you.

Oh my, I hate the ticks are already on the move. I put stuff on Kit already, Charlotte, if your pup got into the poison ivy and you touched the pup, you could have gotten it there.
Now all of you tell which plant you bought that you are the most excited about having, so we can all be even more jealous !

HAPPY FIRST DAY OF SPRING !!!

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

That is the ligularia japonica, (different from th e leopard plant, this one has huge yellow spots on it, and 3 out of 4 of us bought one. I've been wanting this ligularia for a couple years now.

I got the ligularia argeantea variegata last year, dug it up and stored it in the garage all winter. it's suppose to be hardy though, I didn't want to take the chance. it's GEORGIOUS

http://www.tropika.it/Images/Ligularia%20tussilaginea%20argentea-600.jpg

This one isn't mine mines a little smaller. ive been babying it severely so it will thrive this year and make babies LOL

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

Here's a close picture the name of it is

Ligularia (farfugium ) Japonicum Aureo maculata hardiness 0 to neg 10 degrees

and I got the new variegated jacob's ladder
Brise D' Anjou it's PURDY!!

Thumbnail by kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

OH yeah, and Marilyn gave me some of my jacob's cline monarda back LOL

and she and I got jewel weed plants, or rather seedlings. Which we've both been wanting.

Once we found out what the seedlings looked like we saw them in all kinds of pots out there, They were an annoyance according to the owner. In fact, I had pulled up a few (along with KIM ) LOL stuck them in a couple of my pots and the owner said. Oh and these are jewel weed seedlings, and started pulling them out of my pot like weeds, I bout died right then and there. LOL I still got quite a few of the jewel weed seedlings. She gave us some of them too. so we werent' really misbehaving LOL

here's some of my jewel weed babies. I really don't care if these things take over. I've been wanting jewel weed for a couple years.

I also found out I already had a couple of those amsonias already in t eh ground here, That's what I get for not keepin up .

They didn't have a bunch of milkweeds that I wanted, and didn't have the himalayan jack in the pulpet either, it rotted on her, she had lost a bunch of plants this past winter from the really cold weather we had.

Thumbnail by kathy_ann
Northeast, AR(Zone 7a)

KathyAnn, by the time you feel the itch from chiggers, the chiggers are already gone. It's like a mosquito bite--the itch is the reaction to the numbing agent from the varmint's saliva. Like mosquitoes, chiggers hit and run. So your focus should be on controlling the itch rather than killing the insect which has already fled. I laugh when I hear about people trying to kill the chigger with nail polish. The little guy has already escaped and now these people are just covered in polka dots. LOL The itching just has to run its course. Benadryl may help or some topical anti-itch cream.

I hate to hear that ticks are already out and about. Guess I better get the pesticide out and cover the perimeter. I hate ticks!

NancyAnn

Ripley, MS

Oh I hate ticks too, they are so bad, usually here, but we put that stuff out in the spring all over the yard that helps keep them down.

I think the one with the yellow spots is the one that Terrye got at Ritas. Those spots are caused by a virus, Rita told us, but it is a desirable virus. She said if it started getting all green leaves, to take the scissors and cut through one of the yellow spots and then rug the scissors on the all green leaves.

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

WEll, I figured the little varmit was still in my pants when I took a shower changed closed and then went out to work outside, and was still itching, I came back in , changed again and put bleach all over my legs again and now the itch is gone. yay!!

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

I'm the only one who didn't get one of those spotted plants. I really like it but I had spent enough $$ by the time we got to that last nursery--LOL--one of the other nurseries in Conway has it, too. I can always get myself one the next time I have to go to Conway to the lab to get my blood drawn.
The plants I am most excited about are these in this photo. They are spikenard on the left (isn't it lovely--LOL?) and Blue Star Creeper on the right. The spikenard is a shade-loving plant native to Arkansas. It will get up to 6 feet tall. The owner of the nursery assured me there is a plant in there even if you can't see anything yet. She said if nothing comes up to give her a call and she will refund my money. I am going to plant it behind my storage shed just as soon as I get the junk cleared out from behind the shed. It should be a perfect place for it. That area may get some dappled sun in the early morning but it is shady the rest of the day.
The Blue Star Creeper is a ground-hugging creeper that I am going to plant between the pavers on the garden path that Buddy made. The weeds are having a great time growing in between those pavers even though there is weed block and also white rocks in between the pavers. I thought if I could get the Blue Star Creeper started there that it will choke out any weeds that try to grow there. I spent a good part of today pulling up the weeds. Still have a few more to pull but I'll get them on Monday.

Thumbnail by marsue
Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Another plant that I am excited about is Chocolate Mint. Two of the nurseries we visited yesterday actually had some gen-yoo-ine Chocolate Mint. There are a whole bunch of folks here on DG who have been trying to find that stuff for years! Wait till I tell them what I have. I am going to put mine in a pot--don't want it to take over my flower bed. I mainly bought it for fun--plus it smells like chocolate--makes me want a Hershey bar right now! Yum!

This message was edited Mar 20, 2010 3:47 PM

Thumbnail by marsue
Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

This is where I am going to plant the spikenard plus a few of the other shade-loving plants that I bought. This is the before photo--LOL

Thumbnail by marsue
Ripley, MS

Marilyn, chocolate mint is everywhere, it is chocolate oregano or basil or something like that, is the joke they have going around. I will have to look up the spikenard, that is a new one to me

Ripley, MS

Marilyn, I did not find the spikenard, that you have, do you have another name ? there are several in the Plant Files
Also found this
http://www.encyclopedia.com/topic/spikenard.aspx
I thought you might like to read that it was spikenard oil that was in the alabaster box in the Bible

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Yes, I knew about the spikenard in the alabaster box. That was one of the reasons I wanted it plus it is a shade loving plant and I need some of those for my new shade garden. This is what is on the label on the pot:

Aralia racemosa: "American spikenard" Zones 3-10, Arkansas native, Shade or morning sun, moist, 3-6'; Butterfllies
I found it on the website for Pine Ridge Nursery. She doesn't haven't photos of her plants so I have no idea what it looks like. I just wanted some of it to try in my shade garden. At $12.00 it was the most expensive plant I bought but it is not readily available at other nurseries so I splurged on it. It better grow!!!!

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

I found this link for my kind of spikenard:

http://plants.usda.gov/java/profile?symbol=ARRA

P.S. I just realized that it is the chocolate basil that everyone is looking for. LOL

This message was edited Mar 20, 2010 5:01 PM

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

It is the chocolate basil that Everybody on the herb forum is looking for. Chocolate mint is quite common although I have no idea why mine is such a teeny thing. maybe i need to move it to the back so it can take over like the rest of them LOL

Fayetteville, AR(Zone 7b)

I'm so glad you all had a great time!!

OOOOOOOOOOO Chocolate!!!!

Oh chigger and tick time again, already! I'm so glad ya'll mentioned that, it's time to put Advantage on Tiga come April 1st.

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

I just planted all the forsythia that Debra gave Charlotte to give me. It's suppose to get cold tonight but not freezing so I went ahead and planted them and I had rooted apot full of them last fall and divided them also and planted them, Got 17 forsythias planted, Filled the area of which I needed to fill. I'm thrilled, hope they do well

I had a question for all those azaleas though, do they like part shade? I was thinking of scattering them through out the back, side and front yard, and also putting a few inside the actual beds. Do they get huge?

Laceys Spring, AL(Zone 7a)

Ya'll made a great haul this weekend! Nice looking plants and I know you all had fun.

I took Friday off to take my DGD shopping...they were off on Spring Break last week and I had promised to spend some $$ on her. She didn't hurt me too bad and we had a great time.

Saturday wore us out. I planted 4 small seeding trees (they were free), 2 Japanese Maples, 3 shrubs (2 acubas and 1 Rheingold arbovitae), 2 peonies and dug up 3 more shrubs for transplanting elsewhere. Fortunately I heeled those in as it's 35 degrees here today. Brrrrr!!! Come back sunshine and Spring!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.