Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Mid-South Gardening: Chit Chat Continues...

Communities > Forums > Mid-South Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Mid-South GardeningReplies: 260, Views: 1,078
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 19, 2010
7:06 PM

Post #7641860

We came from here http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1076923/#new

Thumbnail by duckmother
Click the image for an enlarged view.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 19, 2010
7:09 PM

Post #7641868

We started the day in London (AR).

Thumbnail by cperdue

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 19, 2010
7:10 PM

Post #7641870

Checking the list!

Thumbnail by cperdue

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 19, 2010
7:11 PM

Post #7641876

The loot from Pine Ridge in London.

Thumbnail by cperdue

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 19, 2010
7:11 PM

Post #7641879

After 4 stops!

Thumbnail by cperdue

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 19, 2010
7:12 PM

Post #7641881

Another view.

Thumbnail by cperdue

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 19, 2010

Post #7641883

And still another view.

Thumbnail by cperdue

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 19, 2010
7:13 PM

Post #7641884

Kathy Ann's car loaded up for the trip home.

Thumbnail by cperdue

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 19, 2010
7:14 PM

Post #7641885

And her trunk.

Thumbnail by cperdue

duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 19, 2010
7:53 PM

Post #7642052

Wow! Look at all that stuff. We had such a wonderful time...but we always do!
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 20, 2010
5:24 AM

Post #7642618

here's a few pics that I took

Thumbnail by kathy_ann

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 20, 2010
5:25 AM

Post #7642619

Well, of course I didn't take that one above LOL but I took these

LOL

Thumbnail by kathy_ann

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 20, 2010
5:26 AM

Post #7642620

and another, I'm gonna have to work all weekend to make up for what i spent yesterday LOL

Thumbnail by kathy_ann

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 20, 2010
5:26 AM

Post #7642622

Caught them pigging out LOL

We worked up a hunger.

Thumbnail by kathy_ann

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 20, 2010
5:27 AM

Post #7642625

The loot!

Thumbnail by kathy_ann

n2birds
Lakeland / Memphis, TN
(Zone 7a)

March 20, 2010
6:22 AM

Post #7642722

Oh - I am green with envy. All the fun ya'll had and all the plants you got. Did you get some good deals ? Kenny, Jim and I went to Dan West last Sunday, but they haven't started putting much out yet. We felt like it was a little early here. Now, Lowe's and Home Depot are putting out their stuff - so it is really ramping up over here this week.
Cute pics. Plant friends are the best ! I can't believe Charlotte, you and Marilyn aren't coming over here on Friday for the nursery run in Memphis.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 20, 2010
6:50 AM

Post #7642790

When I took a shower last night, I discovered I had brought one more thing home "a tick"!!!
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 20, 2010
7:28 AM

Post #7642860

I think I have chiggers, I rubbed my leg down with bleach this morning and that critter is still crawling around, I can't see it so I think it's chiggers.
duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 20, 2010
7:33 AM

Post #7642867

Well, I did not bring home anything extra...well, maybe, a couple of extra pounds from all of the food I ate ;o)

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 20, 2010

Post #7642868

I found my tick - he was on my rib cage. But I have a patch of something on my right hand that I think is poison ivy! Probably got that working in the yard this week as I don't think it would break out overnight. But I wore gloves when I was picking stuff up!!
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 20, 2010
7:40 AM

Post #7642877

Well, as usual, I bought the most plants, I can't control myself when it comes to that, besides I have a new garden to fill up one of these days LOL
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

March 20, 2010
7:48 AM

Post #7642897

Serves you right, Charlotte and Kathy Ann, for not taking advantage of my bug repellant lotion. I didn't bring home any critters! LOL

Good pictures from both of you. Kathy Ann, I noticed your plate was licked clean, too! LOL

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

March 20, 2010
8:12 AM

Post #7642951

Who bought the leopard plant ? Terrye got one of those from Rita a couple of years back and hers didn't make it, so I would love to hear how it thrives for you.

Oh my, I hate the ticks are already on the move. I put stuff on Kit already, Charlotte, if your pup got into the poison ivy and you touched the pup, you could have gotten it there.
Now all of you tell which plant you bought that you are the most excited about having, so we can all be even more jealous !

HAPPY FIRST DAY OF SPRING !!!
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 20, 2010
8:47 AM

Post #7643018

That is the ligularia japonica, (different from th e leopard plant, this one has huge yellow spots on it, and 3 out of 4 of us bought one. I've been wanting this ligularia for a couple years now.

I got the ligularia argeantea variegata last year, dug it up and stored it in the garage all winter. it's suppose to be hardy though, I didn't want to take the chance. it's GEORGIOUS

http://www.tropika.it/Images/Ligularia%20tussilaginea%20argentea-600.jpg

This one isn't mine mines a little smaller. ive been babying it severely so it will thrive this year and make babies LOL
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 20, 2010
9:53 AM

Post #7643126

Here's a close picture the name of it is

Ligularia (farfugium ) Japonicum Aureo maculata hardiness 0 to neg 10 degrees

and I got the new variegated jacob's ladder
Brise D' Anjou it's PURDY!!

Thumbnail by kathy_ann

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 20, 2010
10:01 AM

Post #7643158

OH yeah, and Marilyn gave me some of my jacob's cline monarda back LOL

and she and I got jewel weed plants, or rather seedlings. Which we've both been wanting.

Once we found out what the seedlings looked like we saw them in all kinds of pots out there, They were an annoyance according to the owner. In fact, I had pulled up a few (along with KIM ) LOL stuck them in a couple of my pots and the owner said. Oh and these are jewel weed seedlings, and started pulling them out of my pot like weeds, I bout died right then and there. LOL I still got quite a few of the jewel weed seedlings. She gave us some of them too. so we werent' really misbehaving LOL

here's some of my jewel weed babies. I really don't care if these things take over. I've been wanting jewel weed for a couple years.

I also found out I already had a couple of those amsonias already in t eh ground here, That's what I get for not keepin up .

They didn't have a bunch of milkweeds that I wanted, and didn't have the himalayan jack in the pulpet either, it rotted on her, she had lost a bunch of plants this past winter from the really cold weather we had.

Thumbnail by kathy_ann

ButterflyChaser
Northeast, AR
(Zone 7a)

March 20, 2010
10:26 AM

Post #7643213

KathyAnn, by the time you feel the itch from chiggers, the chiggers are already gone. It's like a mosquito bite--the itch is the reaction to the numbing agent from the varmint's saliva. Like mosquitoes, chiggers hit and run. So your focus should be on controlling the itch rather than killing the insect which has already fled. I laugh when I hear about people trying to kill the chigger with nail polish. The little guy has already escaped and now these people are just covered in polka dots. LOL The itching just has to run its course. Benadryl may help or some topical anti-itch cream.

I hate to hear that ticks are already out and about. Guess I better get the pesticide out and cover the perimeter. I hate ticks!

NancyAnn

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

March 20, 2010
11:09 AM

Post #7643280

Oh I hate ticks too, they are so bad, usually here, but we put that stuff out in the spring all over the yard that helps keep them down.

I think the one with the yellow spots is the one that Terrye got at Ritas. Those spots are caused by a virus, Rita told us, but it is a desirable virus. She said if it started getting all green leaves, to take the scissors and cut through one of the yellow spots and then rug the scissors on the all green leaves.
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 20, 2010
11:25 AM

Post #7643319

WEll, I figured the little varmit was still in my pants when I took a shower changed closed and then went out to work outside, and was still itching, I came back in , changed again and put bleach all over my legs again and now the itch is gone. yay!!
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

March 20, 2010
1:44 PM

Post #7643553

I'm the only one who didn't get one of those spotted plants. I really like it but I had spent enough $$ by the time we got to that last nursery--LOL--one of the other nurseries in Conway has it, too. I can always get myself one the next time I have to go to Conway to the lab to get my blood drawn.
The plants I am most excited about are these in this photo. They are spikenard on the left (isn't it lovely--LOL?) and Blue Star Creeper on the right. The spikenard is a shade-loving plant native to Arkansas. It will get up to 6 feet tall. The owner of the nursery assured me there is a plant in there even if you can't see anything yet. She said if nothing comes up to give her a call and she will refund my money. I am going to plant it behind my storage shed just as soon as I get the junk cleared out from behind the shed. It should be a perfect place for it. That area may get some dappled sun in the early morning but it is shady the rest of the day.
The Blue Star Creeper is a ground-hugging creeper that I am going to plant between the pavers on the garden path that Buddy made. The weeds are having a great time growing in between those pavers even though there is weed block and also white rocks in between the pavers. I thought if I could get the Blue Star Creeper started there that it will choke out any weeds that try to grow there. I spent a good part of today pulling up the weeds. Still have a few more to pull but I'll get them on Monday.

Thumbnail by marsue

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

March 20, 2010
1:47 PM

Post #7643558

Another plant that I am excited about is Chocolate Mint. Two of the nurseries we visited yesterday actually had some gen-yoo-ine Chocolate Mint. There are a whole bunch of folks here on DG who have been trying to find that stuff for years! Wait till I tell them what I have. I am going to put mine in a pot--don't want it to take over my flower bed. I mainly bought it for fun--plus it smells like chocolate--makes me want a Hershey bar right now! Yum!

This message was edited Mar 20, 2010 3:47 PM

Thumbnail by marsue

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

March 20, 2010
1:49 PM

Post #7643562

This is where I am going to plant the spikenard plus a few of the other shade-loving plants that I bought. This is the before photo--LOL

Thumbnail by marsue

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

March 20, 2010
2:37 PM

Post #7643620

Marilyn, chocolate mint is everywhere, it is chocolate oregano or basil or something like that, is the joke they have going around. I will have to look up the spikenard, that is a new one to me

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

March 20, 2010
2:42 PM

Post #7643625

Marilyn, I did not find the spikenard, that you have, do you have another name ? there are several in the Plant Files
Also found this
http://www.encyclopedia.com/topic/spikenard.aspx
I thought you might like to read that it was spikenard oil that was in the alabaster box in the Bible
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

March 20, 2010
2:58 PM

Post #7643645

Yes, I knew about the spikenard in the alabaster box. That was one of the reasons I wanted it plus it is a shade loving plant and I need some of those for my new shade garden. This is what is on the label on the pot:

Aralia racemosa: "American spikenard" Zones 3-10, Arkansas native, Shade or morning sun, moist, 3-6'; Butterfllies
I found it on the website for Pine Ridge Nursery. She doesn't haven't photos of her plants so I have no idea what it looks like. I just wanted some of it to try in my shade garden. At $12.00 it was the most expensive plant I bought but it is not readily available at other nurseries so I splurged on it. It better grow!!!!
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

March 20, 2010
3:00 PM

Post #7643649

I found this link for my kind of spikenard:

http://plants.usda.gov/java/profile?symbol=ARRA

P.S. I just realized that it is the chocolate basil that everyone is looking for. LOL

This message was edited Mar 20, 2010 5:01 PM
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 20, 2010
3:21 PM

Post #7643674

It is the chocolate basil that Everybody on the herb forum is looking for. Chocolate mint is quite common although I have no idea why mine is such a teeny thing. maybe i need to move it to the back so it can take over like the rest of them LOL
crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 22, 2010
7:14 AM

Post #7647482

I'm so glad you all had a great time!!

OOOOOOOOOOO Chocolate!!!!

Oh chigger and tick time again, already! I'm so glad ya'll mentioned that, it's time to put Advantage on Tiga come April 1st.
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 22, 2010
9:53 AM

Post #7647824

I just planted all the forsythia that Debra gave Charlotte to give me. It's suppose to get cold tonight but not freezing so I went ahead and planted them and I had rooted apot full of them last fall and divided them also and planted them, Got 17 forsythias planted, Filled the area of which I needed to fill. I'm thrilled, hope they do well

I had a question for all those azaleas though, do they like part shade? I was thinking of scattering them through out the back, side and front yard, and also putting a few inside the actual beds. Do they get huge?
OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

March 22, 2010
12:58 PM

Post #7648217

Ya'll made a great haul this weekend! Nice looking plants and I know you all had fun.

I took Friday off to take my DGD shopping...they were off on Spring Break last week and I had promised to spend some $$ on her. She didn't hurt me too bad and we had a great time.

Saturday wore us out. I planted 4 small seeding trees (they were free), 2 Japanese Maples, 3 shrubs (2 acubas and 1 Rheingold arbovitae), 2 peonies and dug up 3 more shrubs for transplanting elsewhere. Fortunately I heeled those in as it's 35 degrees here today. Brrrrr!!! Come back sunshine and Spring!!

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 22, 2010

Post #7648328

Kathy Ann azaleas will take some sun but they do best in part shade. The ones that I have in the front get lots of sun. More than they used to when they were planted but they are still doing fine. As to how big they will get depends on the variety. As you have seen I have some that are 8 or 9 feet tall or more. But if you don't want them to get real tall you can always prune them back some every year. I have some in the back that would be a lot taller but I keep them pruned. Several of those you got from Debra had a tag on them. They looked like they might be the smaller variety. I would look them up.
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 22, 2010
2:06 PM

Post #7648383

Thanks Charlotte, I got them planted in part shade, they probably get half and half . I hope I can do a better job on these than I did my last ones.
duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 22, 2010
2:11 PM

Post #7648407

KA, the smaller ones are gumpos.
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 22, 2010
2:34 PM

Post #7648477

what's that? I got them all mixed up LOL I saw some red flowering tags on most of them, but did see some small ones I just thought they were smaller plants of the same kind. LOL
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 22, 2010
2:36 PM

Post #7648481

I just looked them up. I wish you h ad posted a couple hrs ago before i planted them all LOL
duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 22, 2010
2:38 PM

Post #7648487

;o))
n2birds
Lakeland / Memphis, TN
(Zone 7a)

March 22, 2010
5:43 PM

Post #7648917

Elaine - you were out working in 35 deg weather ? Sounds like you and KA don't know when to come in. lol.

KA - I have gumpo's - I love them. They are tightly branched, low growing azaleas, but they can get large (around) over time. I need to cut mine back.
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

March 23, 2010
5:54 AM

Post #7649741

Congrats on getting those forsythia and azaleas planted, KA!
I spent about 5 hours outside yesterday getting more weeding done. I had let the bermuda grass get away from me in the flower beds up against the patio on either side of the garden path. I pulled up as much of the grass as I could and then I pulled up the weed barrier cloth too. It looks a lot better. I have one little corner left to do underneath the Velvet Toreador rose today and then I will finish weeding the hummingbird/butterfly bed. I still have about a 6' x 6' area to do in that bed. Then I will have to start weeding the beds in the front. They don't have as many weeds as the beds in back did so it shouldn't take me as long to weed those. Then I will begin planting the stuff I came with last Friday! Whew! Getting ready for spring is hard work but the results will be worth it!

Charlotte and Kathy Ann, will you two please email me your photos from last Friday or upload them to picasa and post the link here so I can download them? thanks!

Here's the "after" photo of what I did yesterday. This is just one-half of the bed. This photo is looking toward my neighbor's yard. Their back yard is full of weeds which are slowly but surely making their way into my yard. :o((
This part of the flower bed has 3 Torch Lilies in it with a Peach Belle rose at the very end.

edited to say: That's Friday's chain in the photo. He "helped" me with the weeding--LOL

This message was edited Mar 23, 2010 7:57 AM

Thumbnail by marsue

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 23, 2010
6:04 AM

Post #7649764

That looks great Marilyn, a little round up goes along way too LOL bermuda is hard to pull up. i'll email those photos of mine to you

i'm a little sore from yesterday LOL

I think it was the wrong shoes when I went walking though cause I was in tip top shape when I left to go walking and when I got home, my left leg and foot was numb and back was hurting, i'm still sore. I had no trouble from working in th e yard yesterday though.

Girls are talking about doing 5 miles, one of them's husband is suppose to take the truck and clock out 2 l/2 miles for us it takes us up the other side of the valley we walking, going down isn't bad, but coming back up we're all almost dead when we reach the top of the straight up l/8th mile hill although some say it's l/4 mile. it's like the pink bunny, it keeps going and going, and the other side is just as bad.

We met a new walker last night, and she was not friendly by no means, I think Wanda wants to see if we can do the 5 miles since that lady said that's what she does. Good grief!! I think i've turned them all into monsters LOL not sure if we'll start the 5 miles tonight or not. one of us ladies, isn't sure she can do this walk this summer. (not me) someone else. The hill is severe!

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

March 23, 2010
6:10 AM

Post #7649790

I didn't use Round-up because the bed was literally covered with Bermuda and I was afraid I would kill the plants along with the grass. Besides, it is still a little cool to be spraying Round-up. Those torch lilies were just about the first plants to bloom for me last spring and they did really well. I had 27 blooms at the same time on one of those lilies! I do use Round-up in the summer along the outside edge of my flower beds to keep the bermuda from getting into my flower beds but I didn't use it around the bed in the photo last year--I won't make that mistake again! LOL

Kathy Ann, you be careful on your walks and don't overdo! You hear?

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 23, 2010
6:12 AM

Post #7649797

Your beds are looking good Marilyn! I don't have weeds in my beds in the backyard. Not real sure why I don't, but I'm sure not complaining. In those beds I keep pulling vinca out. It's the regular vinca but I just don't want it in there. The main weed problem I have in the front are wild violets! I know some folks like them and leave them alone, but they drive me crazy. I have one bed in particular that I am forever trying to pull those things up.
crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 23, 2010
7:36 AM

Post #7650061

Good morning!

Marilyn that looks awesome! I hate Bermuda grass! I found that ivy that grows up the trees (not poisonous) growing in the middle of one of my irises! I clipped it but I can't pull it, it'll pull up an iris and I don't want to do that right now.

It's hard to determine if you're hurting when your walking, until after the fact. Be careful KA, we don't want you down!

Is this a weed or bee balm?

Thumbnail by crissyr

crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 23, 2010
7:45 AM

Post #7650081

Here are my other pics:

http://picasaweb.google.com/christinepix/20100319#

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 23, 2010
7:52 AM

Post #7650101

It's looking really good Christine!! The picture above is bee balm.
Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

March 23, 2010
8:11 AM

Post #7650145

Marilyn you got it going girl. I have 1/2 of a tiny bed done. The birds keep getting in my eyes and off I go skipping through the weeds to watch them instead of work. LOL I am very easily distracted when it comes
to work. Do you think I have ADGD [ attention deficit gardening disorder]? I'm sure I do. Is there a pill for an easy fix? Don't want to put too much effort into it since I've got more important things to do. [ Like picking flowers and listening for the birds with my 3 year old granddaughter Ella.

She spent the night last night. Her mother called and told me Ella needs to bring a flower to nursery school tomorrow. I told her that Ella and I spent the afternoon picking just about every jonquil, daff, or anything else brave enough to lift it's head around here. Hopefully something will hold up until tomorrow. You know what a bouquet looks like after a 3 year old has clutched it tightly in their little hands for a hour. LOL

KA I hope that 5 miles is doable for you. You have come a long way. Are you still walking in the sketchers?

I bought some new pots yesterday at Hobby Lobby on half price. I have been trying to save money for a new lens for my camera and my money keeping falling right through my fingers for pots or something. Oh well as Scarlett said " Tomorrow is another day".
Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

March 23, 2010

Post #7650149

Crissy I will look at your pictures later when I have time to sit.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 23, 2010
10:02 AM

Post #7650396

Cindy I know what you mean about ADGD! I have it bad and also ADCD! (Attention Deficient Cleaning Disorder) I am on a tear this week! I have company coming and I've got to get this place in some kind of order. That's one of the reason's I agreed to folks coming. Get's me in gear. I'm working on the house today! About 6 years ago we replaced all the windows in this old house with the new energy efficient windows and I still forget how easy they are to clean. Just pop them down and into the house and clean! I have cleaned the living room, dining room and kitchen windows and the difference is amazing!!!! Makes me feel better even!! My problem is when I clean - I clean!!!! Then I run across something I haven't seen in years and get involved with it or decide to redo something entirely! I have all week to get this place cleaned up! Surely I can do it!!

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

March 23, 2010
1:39 PM

Post #7650820

Cindy, we all have that problem, I skip from this to that and then the other---I have been seeing all the great bird pictures you are getting.
I know Ella was so cute with her flowers.

Charlotte, I have lots that needs cleaning here, in case you feel the need to do more when you finish with yours!!
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 23, 2010
2:29 PM

Post #7650897

just popped in for a second, have to go back out, yes it's beebalm as charlotte says,

and no not walking in those jXXXXX scetchers no more. LOL did it one time (last night) and never again. I'll stick to my asics.
I feel good now though, ready for that 5 miles. keeping fingers crossed.

it's been a long day at the office LOL and I have to go sew 4 shirts so i'll chat with you guys later on tonight. and catch up on the other posts too
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 23, 2010
3:14 PM

Post #7650975

I just talked to the ladies and we've opted out of the 5 mile walk !! Yay! I didn't want to have to see if I could do that or not LOL
crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 23, 2010
7:21 PM

Post #7651559

Oh good KA, that's probably a good idea, a 3 mile walk sounds much nicer, not that you're doing a 3 mile walk, I just love 3 mile walks.

LOL Cindy, how cute!!

Thank you Charlotte, and Wow!! You do much better and faster than I'd do. I have what everyone else has and can't focus very long on one project, so I'll start one, then start another, then another, and pretty soon I have 5 projects going and can't get any of them done because I don't know what to do next, then I'm overwhelmed and don't care anymore LOL! Your house is so beautiful anyway...

I would have just posted the pictures, but it takes too long to be doing at work and the computer here at home is just way too slow, so the link is easier then everyone can look when they have time at their own leisure, and if you need the link posted again it's easy to do.

Well I have a busy day ahead of me tomorrow and a few days to come, my dad and his girlfriend will be visiting from tomorrow evening til sometime Sunday, they live in Joplin, MO. I haven't seen my dad in about a year and a half, so I can't wait!!! We are going to have such a good time!
OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

March 25, 2010
10:52 AM

Post #7655123

Just to clarify...NO I was not working in 35 degree weather. We didn't get that until Sunday evening. Saturday was really beautiful. Yesterday was 75 when I left work so I was back in the yard until 6:30 planting some stuff I ordered. I am working (or rather re-working) my shade bed a little. I planted 3 Heucherella 'Alabama Sunrise' and 3 sprigs of Japanese Forest Grass. Wanted to get a few things in the ground before today's rain.

Ya'll are so funny...I don't think I've ever had ADCD but I've sure had ADGD!!

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 25, 2010
11:17 AM

Post #7655199

I'm trying to get some of yard stuff done today. We keep having short little showers. So it keeps giving me little breaks. I ordered a bunch of caladium bulbs this year and I've decided to plant them in pots. I got them all planted this morning and put the pots in DH workshop as it too early to put them out. But I thought maybe by planting them and keeping them inside for a few weeks that I would maybe get a head start. Also found spider mites on several of my brugs I have in the workshop, so I took them on the porch and sprayed them down good with water and I'm letting them air out for a few hours. Got my pots of amaryllis out of the garage and watered and put on the patio. Back to the clean up!!
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 25, 2010
12:51 PM

Post #7655351

Hey does anybody know if you can do this.

Lay bamboo on the ground and it will take root. ? will it. it's planted and I have young plants coming up, what if I lay them over so they lay on the ground, will they take root and make new plants?
duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 25, 2010
3:53 PM

Post #7655702

I just had to post a picture of my last bonsai (I got 1 a month for 4 months)...it is an Indian Hawthorne. When I got it the buds where just beginning to show...The picture does not do it justice but still pretty!

Thumbnail by duckmother

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 25, 2010
4:19 PM

Post #7655759

That is gorgeous!!!! It is also a very healthy plant!!! Is it an inside or outside plant?
Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

March 25, 2010
4:23 PM

Post #7655771

That is beautiful Kim.
Charlotte an Indian hawthorne is a pretty hardy outdoor plant (for me anyway) . I have never seen one bonsai-d ??
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

March 25, 2010
5:13 PM

Post #7655908

That's gorgeous, Kim!

You all are just too funny what with the ADCD and ADGD! ROFLOL!

Cindy, that is so sweet about Ella and the bouquet of flowers. It reminds me of Samantha when she was that age (she's now 16 1/2). I had a bunch of daffodils that I had naturalized. She loved them and called them daffa-dee-dils! :o)) We always had to pick a bouquet to bring into the house. I forgot to say that I have a 3 yr. old great-granddaughter named Ella. She and I have a special bond even though I only see her about 4 times a year. She is my daughter's step-daughter's child.

Yep, Crissy, that is bee balm. Do you know what kind it is? Looks like you are going to have a good crop of it! I'm going to go look at your photos now.

Gentle Giant--my favorite daffodil

This message was edited Mar 25, 2010 7:15 PM

Thumbnail by marsue

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 25, 2010
6:04 PM

Post #7656012

Hey i've beeen busy, look how many garden gloves I washed this week? he he

Thumbnail by kathy_ann

n2birds
Lakeland / Memphis, TN
(Zone 7a)

March 25, 2010
6:18 PM

Post #7656055

Remind me KA to give you some of my rubber gloves. They gave them to me at work.

Kim, I didn't know you were into bonsai's. That is so pretty. Lee, Kenny & Jim's friend does bonsai. He's the one I had trim a few of my Jap. Maples for me last year. It is quite an art. You know there is a bonsai farm close to Dabneys ;-)
obbirds
Olive Branch, MS

March 25, 2010

Post #7656276

Bonnie you need to meet me one day at that Bonsai place when we can spend some time there. Not that we would buy anything, but it is interesting and to see them and the prices on some will blow you away.
Marilyn your daffodil is nice. I walked the place today looking at my blooms. They are always one of my favorites.

Thumbnail by obbirds

duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 25, 2010
7:17 PM

Post #7656294

I have never had them until this year. SIL gave me a bonsai of the month membership for Christmas. I got 4...camellia, juniper, azalea and Hawthorne. Unfortunately, the camellia arrived frozen :o( I did not realize that I could call and get a new one until last month. So, I need to find a fairly small one this spring and plant it. SIL will never know. The juniper is growing very well. The azalea was doing very well until Mom got sick and I forgot all about my plants! The hawthorne has not been here long, we will see how well I do with it.
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

March 26, 2010
5:55 AM

Post #7657187

Thanks for the compliment on the daffodil, Kenny, I have about a dozen of those blooming now plus about the same number of a smaller daff called "Intrigue". Pretty photo of the pear tree beside the pond!

These are the Intrigue daffs.

Thumbnail by marsue

duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 27, 2010
3:34 PM

Post #7660587

Better late than never...as the saying goes...

Someone asked the name of Camellia which was pictured on the last thread. Well, I just now found tag. It is a Kramer's Supreme. I need to take a picture of it in full bloom...of course they may take forever, too ;o)
crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 28, 2010
1:46 PM

Post #7662555

Hi everyone! I am wore out but thought I'd stop by and tell everyone I made it through the weekend, actually looking forward to going to work tomorrow so I can get some rest! LOL Dad and his girlfriend had a great time, they're calling Hot Springs 'their town.' lol!

Marilyn I love that Daff, that's one of my favorites too! Kim that bonzai tree looks awesome! I never had a bonsai bloom before. We have a Juniper here and Dave's trying to shape it, don't know if it's going to work or kill it, but we'll see I suppose.
Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

March 30, 2010
9:49 AM

Post #7667073

Does anyone have Charlottes grape salad recipe? I lost mine when My hard drive crashed.
Cindy

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 30, 2010
11:36 AM

Post #7667329

check you D-Mail Cindy.
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 30, 2010
3:56 PM

Post #7667905

YUM!!
Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

March 30, 2010
11:00 PM

Post #7668643

Thank you Charlotte and it is yummm

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 30, 2010
11:03 PM

Post #7668645

Your welcome!! See you are a night owl tonight also!!!
westtngal
Brighton, TN
(Zone 7a)

March 31, 2010
6:27 AM

Post #7669005

Hi, I am new to this site and read people are looking for chocolate mint. I have a good patch of it, in fact it is getting weedy. I sure do love the smell when I have to whack it back. I live up in Brighton if anyone is interested in it.
duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 31, 2010
8:03 AM

Post #7669192

LOL Welcome west!!! You will enjoy yourself and all of the others here in Mid South. I am certain someone would love chocolate mint...just wait there will be takers any time now ;o)
n2birds
Lakeland / Memphis, TN
(Zone 7a)

March 31, 2010
8:06 AM

Post #7669208

Kim - I am trying to talk her into coming on the 23rd and/or the 24th. She is very close to my house, so hopefully she will at least get to come by and meet some of our group !
duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 31, 2010
8:08 AM

Post #7669212

Oh that would be wonderful!!! Come on over. We are so much fun!!!!!
gen2026
Camden, AR

March 31, 2010
8:49 AM

Post #7669294

Hello everyone! Trying to catch up after being gone all last week - and then trying to find my desk upon returning to work. Been having computer problems at home - moving at a SNAIL's pace! I am pretty sure we have a virus but I don't know which exe files to delete and which to keep! Guess I will have to take it to the shop!

Our trip started out last Saturday with us driving across Oklahoma in all the ice and snow - it was terrifying and I am sure I will be completely white headed now! Once we finally made it to Amarillo the rest was clear sailing... but I have never seen so many cars, trucks, semis etc on the side of the roads and in the median... and we witnessed a vehicle wreck immediately in front of us!! NOT GOOD! But, the weather in Colorado was gorgeous and the kids had a great time - and we were even all on good speaking terms when we arrived home! They got a foot of new snow two nights before we left and they closed I-70 to everyone who didn't have chains... thankfully, by the next morning when we were set to leave it was clear again and we were able to come home - right inbetween snow storms! I messed up my knee on the first day of skiing, but I had lots of fun anyway taking pictures of the kids. Had to go to the knee doc yesterday - but he thinks it is just cartilage around the knee cap torn - no ligaments - so that is good news! But it sure puts a damper on working in my flower beds. I did some weeding on Saturday and it was really difficult.

I love that Gentle Giant daffodil - beautiful! I will have to add some of those! I love my Fortune's that are in full bloom right now too. Those plants ya'll bought in London sure look interesting... although I have no clue what most of them are...

Good to be back and trying to catch up with everyone!

Genna

crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 31, 2010
9:04 AM

Post #7669320

Welcome Westtngal!! So very glad to meet you!!

Whew!! Genna glad you made the trip safely, and had a good time, sorry about your knee though. There is no way I would have driven in that, I'm way too scared. When me and Dave moved from CA we were behind a very cold storm with another warm storm on our heals. We stayed between the two of them, stayed a couple of days in OKC at my mom's to avoid catching it, the one behind us caught up with the one in front of us, then when it got to AR the front(s) stalled and we got rained on the whole way from Ft. Smith to Malvern, and it flat out poured. At least it was just rain, LOL

I took some pics yesterday of my yard:

Thumbnail by crissyr

crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 31, 2010
9:04 AM

Post #7669322

Daffs in front of the house

Thumbnail by crissyr

crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 31, 2010
9:05 AM

Post #7669323

This is the only daff that looks like this out of the whole bunch.

Thumbnail by crissyr

crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 31, 2010
9:06 AM

Post #7669324

Creeping Jenny is coming back

Thumbnail by crissyr

crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 31, 2010

Post #7669325

And Tulips!

Thumbnail by crissyr

crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 31, 2010

Post #7669326

Another pics of the tulips

Thumbnail by crissyr

crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 31, 2010
9:07 AM

Post #7669328

Purple Bearded Iris are budding!

Thumbnail by crissyr

crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 31, 2010
9:07 AM

Post #7669330

These pics didn't come out as good as they usually do.

Thumbnail by crissyr

crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 31, 2010
9:08 AM

Post #7669333

Tulips, Iris, and Lilies

Thumbnail by crissyr

crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 31, 2010
9:09 AM

Post #7669335

Tulip bud! These are going to be moved this summer, they didn't do very good here this year.

Thumbnail by crissyr

crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 31, 2010
9:10 AM

Post #7669337

Here's the garden area

Thumbnail by crissyr

crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 31, 2010
9:11 AM

Post #7669339

These chives or cilantro, I don't remember which, aren't doing very good at all. I'll have to try again without the peat moss

Thumbnail by crissyr

crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 31, 2010
9:11 AM

Post #7669342

This is the row behind and if the first row is chives, this one is cilantro, or visa versa LOL

Thumbnail by crissyr

crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 31, 2010
9:13 AM

Post #7669344

Peas are starting to come up!

Thumbnail by crissyr

crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 31, 2010
9:14 AM

Post #7669350

Look at all the corn!

Thumbnail by crissyr

crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 31, 2010
9:15 AM

Post #7669352

Oooooooooo!!!!

Thumbnail by crissyr

crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 31, 2010
9:16 AM

Post #7669358

Red potato, somehow these ended up all over the place and not in the rows they were put in.

Thumbnail by crissyr

crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 31, 2010
9:17 AM

Post #7669362

Broccoli!!

Thumbnail by crissyr

crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 31, 2010
9:18 AM

Post #7669365

We have a few more veggies planted that haven't shown up yet, like green beans and I think yellow squash.

This looks like some sort of plant

Thumbnail by crissyr

crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 31, 2010
9:19 AM

Post #7669366

Hot Lips is coming back Marilyn!!

Thumbnail by crissyr

crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 31, 2010
9:19 AM

Post #7669370

Yellow canna

Thumbnail by crissyr

crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 31, 2010
9:21 AM

Post #7669376

Here we go, I think these are yellow squash but not sure.

Thumbnail by crissyr

crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 31, 2010
9:21 AM

Post #7669382

And last but not least, Blue Hydrangea

Thumbnail by crissyr

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

March 31, 2010
9:33 AM

Post #7669412

Welcome, westtngal! Actually, we found some chocolate mint at two different nurseries here a couple of weeks ago. Charlotte and I each bought a plug and then we realized that it is the Chocolate Basil that eveyone is looking for. LOL Chocolate mint can be quite invasive so Charlotte and I are both going to put ours in pots. I can't believe actually bought that mint because a couple of summers ago I got a rash from a different kind of mint similar to poison ivy! Shame on me.

Genna: glad you and the family had a good spring break! Sorry about you hurting your knee, though--hope it isn't the ligament.

Crissy: your gardens are looking great! You and Dave are doing a good job. I think your flowers are a few days ahead of ours--it's the difference in you being a little further south. My gardens are ahead of Kathy Ann's and she is only 40 miles north of me. I noticed yesterday that my two Hot Lips salvia are just starting to get leaves on them. The warm weather this week should definitely bring the plants out even more!

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 31, 2010
10:18 AM

Post #7669536

Marilyn it is amazing how just a few miles can make a difference! I don't see any buds on my iris yet.
Christine your garden and the other stuff is really looking good! You are going to have some good eating this summer! That purple iris you have looks like the ones I brought to RU in both May and Oct.

Genna glad you all had a good time and a safe trip there and back!! Sounds like a scary drive out - but part of memory making!!! LOL
gen2026
Camden, AR

March 31, 2010
10:24 AM

Post #7669541

I have lots of daffs blooming, and even my purple homestead verbena is already blooming - I was shocked! and I have an amsonia ??? that I got at the last swap at Debras that is lime green colored - can't remember if I got it from Janie or who... but it is covered in blooms and has been for over 2 weeks. I didn't even know the thing was supposed to bloom! ^_^

My iris are just coming up good, but I have seen a few scattered in other places that are blooming already. Guess it depends on if they are sheltered or not.

My tulip Magnolias are blooming and are really pretty and I had a FEW blooms on my yellow forsythia that Debra gave me. I lost one of the forsythia - and one is not looking too good but is still alive. The third one is blooming a little...
gen2026
Camden, AR

March 31, 2010
10:25 AM

Post #7669545

Charlotte - we cross posted ... yes, VERY scary... but I did make the comment they wouldn't soon forget that trip! :)

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 31, 2010
10:27 AM

Post #7669552

As long as your forsythia is hanging on I bet it will take off this summer!
crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 31, 2010
10:52 AM

Post #7669607

Charlotte, they are :)

I have some behind the garden along the fence that haven't started budding yet, Dave dug those from an elderly ladies home in Malvern after they finished blooming, so I don't know what they're going to be. Dave said she had a whole bunch of different colors and they hadn't been thinned in a long time. I told him he should have gotten more, I think she's passed away by now but will have to have him take a look.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 31, 2010
11:01 AM

Post #7669633

I kept some of those purple irises and moved them to a different location so they would not get mixed in with the new ones that I'm trying to keep labeled. Just went out and looked at them and they are also budding! They are not as far along as yours Christine but they have flower stalks and buds!! None of my other irises do, so these must be very early bloomers!
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 31, 2010
11:05 AM

Post #7669646

Crissy that thing you think is a plant is a weed, i've been digging them up all over the place. I can't believe you have iris budding already, my plants are only about 4 inches tall right now LOL no stalks for buds at all . And NOTHING in the veggie gardden, we planted potatoes ( yukon gold) yesterday,

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

March 31, 2010
12:17 PM

Post #7669795

Kathy Ann are you referring to the amsonia-that crissy said is blooming? I know mine has not even put up yet.
crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 31, 2010
12:23 PM

Post #7669812

We're doing so good cause Dave isn't working. If I made enough money for him to stay home and not work it would be perfectly fine with me!

Sandra I think she's talking about this one. The only thing I have blooming are my daffs and tulips, the iris are about to.

Thumbnail by crissyr

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

March 31, 2010
12:29 PM

Post #7669826

I want to see that amsonia--I hope mine isn't dead, I don't think it is even showing signs of life yet here.
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 31, 2010
12:45 PM

Post #7669855

Yes, that's the plant that is a weed Crissy. yank it up now LOL

My amsonia isn't up yet either. DUH ya'll already knew that.

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

March 31, 2010
12:46 PM

Post #7669859

Crissy said hers is blooming, mine does not bloom until the first of May
n2birds
Lakeland / Memphis, TN
(Zone 7a)

March 31, 2010
12:49 PM

Post #7669864

Why is everything at Crissy's house up and blooming before ours???? ughhhh. I have been out there fertilizing and weeding and talking to my iris' - and still nothing. My amsonia's - nothing yet either.

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

March 31, 2010
1:10 PM

Post #7669922

Not fair is it Bonnie-LOL
n2birds
Lakeland / Memphis, TN
(Zone 7a)

March 31, 2010
1:17 PM

Post #7669938

However, Sandra, wasn't my amsonia blooming last year when ya'll were at my house ? If so, it would be about 3 weeks early for me then and I don't think many of my iris' were even blooming then. They were just cranking up. You know - if that iris of hers is a IB - they may bloom earlier than the TB ?

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

March 31, 2010
2:09 PM

Post #7670054

Yes, and mine had just started to bloom. there is an older variety of iris that blooms earlier than mine do, I have seen white and purple both bloom around old house places before I even get buds.
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

March 31, 2010
5:02 PM

Post #7670415

IB and TB===translate please! LOL My iris aren't budding yet either but the leaves are about 10 inches tall or more on some of them.

Sandra, those Yellow Flag DL's you gave me are coming up. I put them in the ditch with the steep bank beside the road that I hate to mow. Hopefully, they will spread and take over that area and I won't have to mow over there anymore. :o))

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

March 31, 2010
5:38 PM

Post #7670495

Marilyn, there are more types of iris than I can ever keep straight, TB stands for tall bearded.
I think the IB-stands for intermediate bearded--there is a whole world of iris
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iris_%28plant%29
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

March 31, 2010
6:58 PM

Post #7670682

Wow--that's enough to make your head swim! LOL

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

March 31, 2010

Post #7670719

Yes, it is--I gave up on trying to learn all the different kinds, my favorite are the Japanese, which are also called Ensata, and they are in the beardless category.
The Siberian are also in the beardless variety.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 31, 2010
7:24 PM

Post #7670771

Sandra I found the perfect place to plant the yellow flag. It made it through the winter just sitting in a big bowl of water!!! I remembered a fairly large galvanized oval container I had and planted them in there the other day. There is not any drainage in the container, so I thought they would stay nice and wet. Obviously they like water and are tough since they survived the extra cold winter in a container of ice!!!

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

March 31, 2010
7:40 PM

Post #7670813

They are considered invasive in some areas. Yes they are tough !
Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

March 31, 2010
8:10 PM

Post #7670878

If any of you are still up please say a prayer for my grandson Luke. They are taking him to surgery with a suspected ruptured appendix. His temp is 104. They have been ate the hospital since around six. He is seven years old. thanks Cindy
kjuddy
(karen) Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 31, 2010
8:21 PM

Post #7670907

Riverland - sending up a prayer for your grandson - my youngest son had appendicitis when he was three - what a scary thing - seven is a prime age for appendicitis. Three was supposedly the youngest they'd ever treated at Children's Hospital here at the time. They thought his had ruptured as well but it had not and of course now he's a strapping 24 year old but it is scary. I never knew until our little event that you don't run a high fever until the appendix actually ruptures. He had a very high temp as well but it hadn't ruptured yet. I felt really guilty for letting him go 5 days without taking him to the doctor but honestly 3 year olds get sick and vomit all the time so who knew - they took one look at him in the dr's office and they knew exactly what it was. Let us know how your grandson does
kjuddy
(karen) Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 31, 2010
8:23 PM

Post #7670914

Nice pics Crissy and I'm soooo jealous about your irises mine are doing nada and I LOVE my iris! Here's a picture of a columbine I bought at the garden show and it is blooming it's head off - CRAZY!

Thumbnail by kjuddy

Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

March 31, 2010
8:24 PM

Post #7670918

Thanks Karen I will
Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

March 31, 2010
8:24 PM

Post #7670921

Wow that is pretty.
kjuddy
(karen) Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 31, 2010
8:26 PM

Post #7670926

And here's a picture of a double daffodil that bloomed today. I was just admiring them at my parents on Saturday - according to my mom they don't always bloom well - apparently they are finicky but they liked something this year because they look great! I had no idea they were even out there and then wow there they were. I'm going to have to take a picture of my parents daffodils. My dad planted them years ago around their circle drive and they are a sight to see! But for now here's that double daff.

Thumbnail by kjuddy

kjuddy
(karen) Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 31, 2010
8:29 PM

Post #7670933

And while I'm at it I might as well post my favorite picture of the day which is one of the white creeping phlox - the plant doesn't look all that great this year but this close-up of the blooms turned out really good. I love the way the blooms look in this picture

Thumbnail by kjuddy

kjuddy
(karen) Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 31, 2010
8:35 PM

Post #7670945

Well I took off this afternoon and worked in the yard - what a gorgeous day it was. I'm so sore I can hardly walk - I am working on resetting all the wall paver things that go around my front and side flower beds. I probably made these beds 10-12 years ago and back then I'd never seen anyone use these blocks so of course I didn't set them level (they have a little ridge along the bottom that holds them together and I didn't get them level so they just look awful and they fall over - really messes with my ocd issues. So I'm working on that project - looks great when they are level and done correctly but ohhhhh it is killing my back. Course it wouldn't be a day in the garden if I hadn't uncovered at least one snake. I hate those things and it was already almost dark so it really did scare me to death!!!! I gotta bathe and go nighty nite or Janie P will have my hide if I am late to work in the morning!!

Night all - and one more prayer for Riverland's grandson!!
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

March 31, 2010
9:10 PM

Post #7670991

Praying for Luke, Cindy!

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

April 1, 2010
6:52 AM

Post #7671573

Karen, I did not realize you and Janie worked together, isn't it Pella where you work?
I know Janie would really be bad and chop your head right off !!
crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 1, 2010
7:08 AM

Post #7671605

Cindy lots of prayers are being sent up for Luke. Appendicitis hurts and causes a limp on the right side, mine didn't act up until I was 35 or 36.

You all I am just glowing that I'm a new gardener and my flowers beat all of yours! It's just red clay, rocks, horse manure, and Miracle Grow bloom buster.

I went to Lowe's yesterday and boy I could have bought the whole store! I had to leave, it got too dangerous for me! LOL

duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 1, 2010

Post #7671669

Poor Luke. Praying for all, Cindy.

I bought more plants yesterday! Crissy, what you didn't buy, I did ;o) Hosta (no surprise), a fern, caladiums, gardenia and thrift.
Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

April 1, 2010
7:48 AM

Post #7671726

Everything went fine. It was not ruptured. Thank you for the prayers.
Cindy

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 1, 2010
8:02 AM

Post #7671766

So glad to hear that he is OK Cindy! But so hate that poor little Luke had to go through all that!!
crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 1, 2010
8:16 AM

Post #7671800

Oh good Cindy, that's great to hear!!!

Dave's not working and I don't want to spend any money if I don't have to. I have plenty of plants, all those I got from ya'll at your RU Kim are still in pots, planning on planting them this weekend if I don't tire myself out doing other things first. I want one of those Weeping Cherry Trees, I didn't read the tag but looking at the picture it looked like they get kind of big.
duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 1, 2010
9:42 AM

Post #7672013

Great news, Cindy.

Crissy, they get up to around 20-25 feet...I think ;o)
kjuddy
(karen) Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 1, 2010
12:28 PM

Post #7672322

Great to hear your grandson is doing well!!
crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 1, 2010
4:48 PM

Post #7672844

Yea that's a little too big for my yard.

Someone posted on a thread somewhere that they wanted Tulip Magnolia seeds and I can't find them!

Does anyone want Tulip Magnolia seeds?
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 1, 2010
5:26 PM

Post #7672931

i'd love to have some, and if you have any baby trees coming up, I'll gladly trade something for them, i'veb eeen wanting a tulip magnolia
crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 1, 2010
6:40 PM

Post #7673156

I'll send you some KA! I have a whole tree full but can't reach very far up and I don't do ladders LOL!
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 1, 2010
7:02 PM

Post #7673201

Thanks Crissy.
kjuddy
(karen) Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 2, 2010
2:42 AM

Post #7673615

[quote="slcdms"]Karen, I did not realize you and Janie worked together, isn't it Pella where you work?
I know Janie would really be bad and chop your head right off !![/quote]

Yes we work at Pella - lately it has seemed more like working in the mines south of purgatory but as they say this too shall pass:) And Mrs. Poindexter would definitely have my hide for being late since we are training one new employee and still have one position that they haven't filled (which is the phone answerer) and I'm gonna be off FOUR days next week to go to the Masters with my DH, so I HAVE to behave:) We're so busy we haven't even had time to talk about flowers and that tells you everything you need to know - when oh when are we too busy to talk flowers? And now here I am up in the middle of the night and can't go back to sleep. CRAZY!!!

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

April 2, 2010
6:28 AM

Post #7673904

Well, you tell Mrs. Poindexter to pop in and tell us hi every once in a while !!
It is a shame that people have to work when it is spring time, I think everything should let people have a spring break when spring fever attacks !!!
crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 2, 2010
6:39 AM

Post #7673920

Yes Sandra! A two month long Spring Break! LOL!!
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 3, 2010
7:37 AM

Post #7676650

I have a potted paw paw tree, bought for the butterflies, does that need to go in to full sun? anybody know?

I also have a daylily siloam jandee I think I'm diggging up the front bed across the front yard cause I can't keep it clean and all the timber is rotting, going to plant a row of crepe myrtles there I think, and have a few daylilies out there i'm not keeping. Just dug that one but will dig the others today too and pot them up if anybody wants them, there are I think 3 diff ones,

I also have that variegated male kiwi vine to give away. anybody want these things?

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 3, 2010
7:02 PM

Post #7677993

I looked at my tulip magnolia to see if I could find a seed pod. I had to get a grabber and pull a limb down. This is a big tree. I found the seed on the end and picked several but sure didn't look like anything that would do anything.

I spent most of the day in the yard. I changed my walkway around and I really like the way it turned out and it didn't cost me anything but my labor which is even better. I had a brick walkway between Richards workshop and the flower bed and then I had put down stone to connect it to the stone patio. When I did it the stones I had left for the walkway were small and thin and they have never quite suited me. So I decided to extend the brick walkway to the stone patio. I had enough brick by taking up the ones outlining the flower beds. Then in place of the brick around the beds, I used the stone I took up and then just took some from other places in the yard. My other beds I have dry stacked stone and I just shortened some of the stacks. I didn't stack around the back beds but just used one layer of stone. Anyway, here is how it turned out.

Thumbnail by cperdue

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 3, 2010
7:05 PM

Post #7677996

Things are just starting to really pop out! I was just looking at my front bed and lo and behold I realized I had a iris totally bloomed out. This is Dot Com.

Thumbnail by cperdue

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 3, 2010
7:07 PM

Post #7678005

The azaleas should be opening good later in the week. These are just about to pop.

Thumbnail by cperdue

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 3, 2010

Post #7678015

I have a few white azaleas and they seem to be opening ahead of the others. This is a white azalea along with some Kerria.

Thumbnail by cperdue

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 3, 2010
7:10 PM

Post #7678019

Foam flowers.

Thumbnail by cperdue

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 3, 2010

Post #7678025

Can't remember the name of this. I need to get down and find the tag. So but the picture is a little blurry also.

Thumbnail by cperdue

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 3, 2010
7:14 PM

Post #7678037

Celandine poppy.

Thumbnail by cperdue

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 3, 2010
7:15 PM

Post #7678044

Robins Plantain. Marilyn this is what you bought at Pine Ridge.

Thumbnail by cperdue

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 3, 2010
7:17 PM

Post #7678049

Pink dogwood.

Thumbnail by cperdue

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 3, 2010
7:19 PM

Post #7678056

Redbud. I found a couple of seedlings today, if anyone wants them. I'm sure I'll find more.

Thumbnail by cperdue

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 3, 2010
7:20 PM

Post #7678061

Bleeding Heart.

Thumbnail by cperdue

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 3, 2010
8:14 PM

Post #7678199

That plant you don't know what is, looks alot like Anemone of some type.

Love the walk way. Beautiful
Ems_Garden
Slidell, LA
(Zone 8b)

April 3, 2010
8:44 PM

Post #7678265

Just popping in to say HAPPY SPRING - yea!!! Hope all are well and happy and busy in their gardens!

Oh yea - Happy Easter too :)

edited because I am absent minded and can't spell!

This message was edited Apr 3, 2010 11:25 PM

This message was edited Apr 3, 2010 11:25 PM
huneybunch_2000
Montrose, AR
(Zone 8a)

April 3, 2010
9:10 PM

Post #7678305

Ms Charlotte looks like you have been very busy.. Your walk way looks nice.. I have been working in my flower beds and I think of you all so often when I see all the things you have shared with me growing..So many things starting to sprout up , every day I find something new pushings its way thru the mulch.. Makes me a proud plant Parent..If Caleb has to come to LR next week, I may take you up on one of those redbud tree seedlings...I will know by Tuesday if he has to go to ACH this week,depends on how hand is doing. I hope you all have a great Easter...

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 4, 2010
5:10 AM

Post #7678718

Trish how is Caleb doing? Like you those plants that came from my DG friends are more special than those I just bought. Hope you all have a wonderful Easter!
duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 4, 2010
6:28 AM

Post #7678830

Sandra, I believe you and Terrye took some cuttings from different coleus at the RU last fall. I was wondering if they made it through the winter without bugs...are they even alive ;o) Y'all may have tossed them out the window on the way home, deciding it was tooooo much trouble. lol

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

April 4, 2010
7:23 AM

Post #7678928

I kept some of mine until after Christmas, then they faded too, but they were beautiful for a long time, I am sure Terrye had better luck with hers than I did. Some even rooted and then died

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 4, 2010
9:15 AM

Post #7679135

Kathy Ann the plant I couldn't remember is a Geum.
n2birds
Lakeland / Memphis, TN
(Zone 7a)

April 4, 2010
5:45 PM

Post #7679991

Charlotte - you walkway looks wonderful ! I love using something I already have and improving an area. I just have so many areas that need improving right now :-( and can't get to them all.

KA - I need a male kiwi - I lost mine already, but apparently my female is ok. I don't think my female is varigated though - will that matter ?
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 4, 2010
6:40 PM

Post #7680091

I don't suppose it will. but not really sure, my male isn't variegated right now LOL i'm not sure what brings out the varigation in it. i'll bring it when I come thereon the 23rd.
kjuddy
(karen) Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 4, 2010
7:38 PM

Post #7680233

Here are the pictures of my parents daffodils I promised earlier. When I was growing up there was a fence here where you see this line of daffs on the side of the house. Apparently my grandparents had planted these daffodils along that fence line.

Thumbnail by kjuddy

kjuddy
(karen) Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 4, 2010
7:41 PM

Post #7680239

Then probably 20 years ago when they extended the road and my parents driveway became somewhat of a circle rather than the end of the road itself my dad planted the daffodils that were misplaced by that work around the whole circle. You can see the top of my sisters house here and I live back the other direction. But the daffodils are quite spectacular every spring!

Thumbnail by kjuddy

kjuddy
(karen) Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 4, 2010
7:44 PM

Post #7680243

Here's one more view - it is amazing what 20 years will do for a plant huh?

Thumbnail by kjuddy

Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

April 4, 2010
8:40 PM

Post #7680366

Wow Karen that is beautiful.
Charlotte your pictures are beautiful too. You are one working woman.

We had a wonderful Easter with the gathering of two large families. Today Audrey was Christened then we had a late lunch and lots of family fun.

Thumbnail by Riverland

Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

April 4, 2010
8:44 PM

Post #7680379

I have a few spring things happening around here. The wisterias are bursting out everywhere.
This is Black Dragon ( i think) next to kerria.

Thumbnail by Riverland

Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

April 4, 2010
8:46 PM

Post #7680383

White wisteria Ruth trimmed this up for me in the fall and did a great job.

Thumbnail by Riverland

JanieP
Jacksonville, AR

April 4, 2010
8:47 PM

Post #7680389

Sandra, you know I am shy-lol. I get my daily dose of the midsouth chatter and prayer threads. Just dont post often.
I am enjoying the fruits of all you guys labor. Hyacinths, daffodils, kierra, pink azalea, beauty bush, pentstemon, fairy rose, sweet autumn clematis, shamrocks, "pink" clematis , mexican hydrangea-are all blooming or budding. Unknown irises,lilies & daylilies have foliage. Have some Hollyhocks seedlings from reunion sleeds. Cant wait til see what else comes up. They are looking mighty good among all my weeds. Going to mow those weeds tomorrow.
Since Karen is deserting me for four days, I am taking tomorrow off. Karen needs some time away. She is training someone on a job she (Karen) is learning as she trains. Long story, but think this one is going to stay (4th one since Feb 1). The 2nd position -that is being filled tomorrow- can be trained on at a much slower pace.
If they made it through the winter, when will new growith show for elephant ears, gingers, & mexican petunias?
If I did it right, the picture is of the only lenten rose I have. This is the 3rd spring for it, I had about given up.
Janie

Thumbnail by JanieP

Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

April 4, 2010
8:48 PM

Post #7680394

I love my buckeye tree when it blooms.

Thumbnail by Riverland

Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

April 4, 2010
8:51 PM

Post #7680401

My snowball bush is really putting out now

Thumbnail by Riverland

JanieP
Jacksonville, AR

April 4, 2010
8:52 PM

Post #7680403

Sounds like you had a blessed Easter.
Beautiful wisteria.
Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

April 4, 2010
8:53 PM

Post #7680406

I don't know what this rose is or who gave it to me. Just one of those pots no tag..

Thumbnail by Riverland

Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

April 4, 2010
8:54 PM

Post #7680410

Thank You Janie we did and the long day ends

Thumbnail by Riverland

JanieP
Jacksonville, AR

April 4, 2010
8:54 PM

Post #7680411

Is a snowball bush a virbunum(sp)? Did it take long to get established?
Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

April 4, 2010
9:09 PM

Post #7680442

Yes it is a form of viburnum. And yes this bush is more than six years old. There are many different kind though. Most can be differentiated by leaf. this one bears the flower balls on very hard wood.
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 5, 2010
5:03 AM

Post #7680828

Beautiful Daffodils. Loved them. That black wisteria is awesome, where did you get that at? I think I might have to put that on my want list LOL

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

April 5, 2010
5:40 AM

Post #7680911

Janie, you are SOOO shy, LOL--good to see you posting, keep it up !!

Hey, Cindy, is that wisteria the one on the fence of the daylily bed ? If so I want my credit for whacking on it--LOL
I know you enjoyed the Christening, Where was Ella ? The kids and the babies look so pretty, that must be Ashley's family in the picture.
A beautiful sunset picture too, I love that !
Those daffs are great, I know you all look forward to that show every spring.
tryliv
Booneville, MS

April 5, 2010
5:52 AM

Post #7680932

Cindy I just saw the news about Luke. I hope eveything went good and he is better. It is so scary when they are little! It's scary anytime!

I haven't been on the internet at all for the last 5 days. We had a yard sale two days, a fish fry one day, I family dinner, two days of yard work and one night time egg hunt and supper for the kids! Needless to say I have been busy. Paid for it yesterday and I'm back at work today.
Sounds like you guys have been busy too. I'm seeing all those lists for Rita's starting... lol

Terrye

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 5, 2010
6:00 AM

Post #7680953

Janie love your daffodil pictures!!
Cindy I'm so jealous of your wisteria!!! It is a very fond childhood memory of mine and I have too much shade for it to bloom! I have tried!!!! Our farm in LA had wisteria in the front yard. It grew up through the trees and finally was growing up pine trees in a hugh area. When it bloomed it was a site to behold!!! I do have a small picture my aunt took for me. My dad spent years trying to kill it, he cut it, put chemicals on it and never succeeded!!!
crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 5, 2010
7:14 AM

Post #7681090

Wow Charlotte!!! Look at those!!!

Cindy I love Wisteria but don't have any place to put any :( Wait! Do deer and rabbits turn away from it?

Look at those daffs! Mine are done now, just drying on the plants, but I'm going to download some pics onto this computer and show you what I did and have going on.
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

April 5, 2010
8:02 AM

Post #7681189

Karen: don't you just love daffodils? Whenever I drive by a place where there are daffodils blooming but no sign of a house, I know that at one time there was a house there and a woman made it a home by planting daffodils! I know you and your family enjoy those daffodils all the more because your grandparents started them and your parents continued the tradition. :o))

Janie, good to see you posting. The Mexican Petunias won't come back till about the middle of May so don't give up on them. I think the elephant ears are late, also--mine aren't showing any sign of reappearing yet. I don't know about the ginger--never had one before now.

I'm playing catch-up today--my internet service has been down pretty much all week-end. they (Suddenlink) finally got it restored today! I have tried twice over the week-end to post this photo for
Sandra of Gunny's rose and each time the internet would go down again. Hopefully the third time will be the charm.

Here's Gunny's rose looking good and I am eager for the first blooms:

Thumbnail by marsue

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

April 5, 2010
8:06 AM

Post #7681197

Cindy, your wisteria brought back memories for me, too. My mother had one growing in our yard when I was a child. I've never had one in my own yard. I need to find a place for one, though.

Kathy Ann: the salvia koyamae is coming back but it is the only one of the salvias you gave me last fall that has come back.

Thumbnail by marsue

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

April 5, 2010
8:09 AM

Post #7681203

This is the green hellebore which Kathy Ann gave me either last year or the year before--can't remember when. This is the first year it has bloomed.

Thumbnail by marsue

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

April 5, 2010
8:10 AM

Post #7681204

This is a close-up of one of the hellebore blooms which is now setting seed.

Thumbnail by marsue

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

April 5, 2010

Post #7681210

This is what the north end of my Butterfly/hummingbird bed looked like a few days ago.

Thumbnail by marsue

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

April 5, 2010
8:15 AM

Post #7681217

Contrast that photo above to this photo from last June. See what I have to look forward to? :o)) (and I have added even more plants this spring!)

Thumbnail by marsue

Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

April 5, 2010
8:32 AM

Post #7681266

Yes Sandra that is Ashley's two sisters and hubs. They were the Godparents. I am sorry I didn't give you credit for trimming the wisteria.

KA it came from Lowes. They usually carry them every year. It does have a beautiful bloom.

Charlotte yesterday on the drive to my son's we saw wisteria in bloom everywhere that it had escaped into the wild. It is one plant you really have to stay on top of to keep it under control. I don't think anything will kill it.
close up

Thumbnail by Riverland

Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

April 5, 2010
8:37 AM

Post #7681278

Marilyn it won't be long and that bed will look like that again. It is going to be beautiful.
This is red honeysuckle that needs tying up because it is just lying there.

Thumbnail by Riverland

Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

April 5, 2010
8:39 AM

Post #7681281

Well I am off to work in the yard.
The clematis are beginning to bloom

Thumbnail by Riverland

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 5, 2010
8:40 AM

Post #7681284

I've never seen any of those at our lowes.

Marilyn, none of my salvias are back yet either but that same one you have . I do have some blue saphire poking through the ground now. that omaha gold is zone 7 I didn't realize it, it may not come back for me.
Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

April 5, 2010
8:45 AM

Post #7681299

KA maybe you missed it since they are never in bloom at Lowes. I will keep my eye out for one. I bought this one and the white on the save me from death racks.

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

April 5, 2010
10:35 AM

Post #7681571

That proves you can't kill them if that was the one I chopped on--cause I did some chopping on it for sure--LOL--Better treat me right, I will call Lamar to come and get me !!

gen2026
Camden, AR

April 5, 2010
11:45 AM

Post #7681717

Wow - just trying to catch up with everyone again... our internet service has been down more than it has been operating and that makes life frustrating!

Cindy, sorry to hear about your scare with your grandson -but thankful to hear that it turned out ok. The homestead purple verbena that you gave me at Kim's is blooming up a storm already!

Sandra - I am the one who posted about what I THOUGHT was amsonia...but i finally found the tag and it was limelight salvia which I guess explains WHY it was blooming so early!

Does anyone on here have any suggestions for rooting lilac?? I took some cuttings and some blooms from a bush I found yesterday, but I had no idea if I could get it to root or not. It is so beautiful...

Charlotte, I would love to have some redbud seedlings if you happen upon any more.

Anyone know what that tree is that is blooming currently that looks alot like a redbud from a distance but the bloom is more burgandy or red??? Could it possibly be a red or purple plum???? I had hoped to get to a decent nursery over the weekend so maybe I could find one blooming but I didn't make it. Need to find a pink or red dogwood too ... the one I bought last year that was supposed to be red is WHITE!!

Hope everyone had a joyful Easter...

Genna

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

April 5, 2010
1:07 PM

Post #7681893

OOPS--wrong again Genna--limelight salvia does not bloom until almost fall !!
I did see some green on my ansomia coming up today. You are going to have to show us a picture of what you have so maybe someone can identify it.
OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

April 5, 2010
1:09 PM

Post #7681904

I've been lurking and reading but haven't been posting much lately. Just posted a few pics on Joyce's thread of spring blooms. I posted this one already but thought I'd put it here. You iris experts can help me out. Does anyone know anything about this iris variety? My DD and I dug a bunch of iris from an abandoned house near the UAH nursing building. The houses are being moved and everything was abandoned. The iris probably hadn't been divided in years (or tended). So we got a bunch of good free stuff. They have lots of blooms.

I've been so busy it's like someone else said...it's overwhelming. We jumped from Winter to Summer it seems and all that stuff I normally spread out over March-Apr needs to be done NOW!!! Mulching, digging, moving, fertilizing, weeding...Aaaarrrgghhh!!! Oh well, it will be worth it, right girls?? I've probably moved 7-8 shrubs in the last couple of weeks.

Thumbnail by OutsidePlaying

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 5, 2010
1:44 PM

Post #7681983

oh I got that limelight salvia, suppose to be georgious, not hardy for me though. Guess what is coming back that Isn't suppose to be hardy for me.

The golden delicious pineapple sage is coming bck. got new growth on it. guess I shouldn't have dug up last years and dumped it.

I made lemongrass handlotion today. still have to make the lavender.

Thumbnail by kathy_ann

duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 5, 2010
3:52 PM

Post #7682270

KA, would you bring a bottle to Searcy on April 23? Thank you.

Y'all's flowers/blooms look so nice!

I saw my first ruby-throated hummingbird yesterday!

I must quit buying plants! I have so much to buy on April 23-24 ;o) I need to save...oh, who am I kidding, I know it will not keep me from buying. This is why I went back to work! LOL
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 5, 2010
4:39 PM

Post #7682397

No I will not LOL
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 5, 2010
4:40 PM

Post #7682401

Ok, you twisted my arm enough already, I'll bring you a bottle, I was going to anyways ;0)
duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 5, 2010
7:04 PM

Post #7682811

woooooo hooooooo!
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

April 5, 2010
9:03 PM

Post #7683108

I will trade your milkweed plugs for a bottle of lotion, Kathy Ann! ROFLOL

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 6, 2010
4:28 AM

Post #7683438

Well what can I trade??????????????
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 6, 2010
4:49 AM

Post #7683470

Charlotte, marilyn sent you both a message on fb
savagegardener
Middleton, TN
(Zone 7a)

April 6, 2010
5:06 AM

Post #7683490

everything is coming along beautifully here,too

cindy - if you see one of he black dragon and the white wisteria on the rack at lowe's get me one of each , too ...please!!!!! I will pay you back for them

I am like Kathy Ann, I go to all the lowe's within a 100 mile radius of here regular and I have never seen those 2 either

Genna- Could that tree be a forest pansy redbud... it's blooms are dark purplish red ?? Google that one or Avondale redbud and see if either of those look right . most Lowe's have the forest pansy redbud , you would have to look around more for an avondale

Elaine - it is a japanese iris ...I know the cultivar, but the name escapes me at the moment
n2birds
Lakeland / Memphis, TN
(Zone 7a)

April 6, 2010
5:43 AM

Post #7683571

Genna - could it be crab apple trees ? I have 2 of them blooming right now. Also cherry trees are blooming.

Elaine - what a find ! beautiful.

Karen - I absolutely love what your family has done with the buttercups. Quite impressive.

Cindy - for alot of your stuff to have been damaged from the floods - you still have a ton to show ! Love your snowball bush, and do love the wisteria - but you can keep it. I can't deal with anything that is so strong minded ! I have enough weeds(creeping charlie and much others) that are causing me much heartache right now.

...and Sharon - do you think you can teach me the difference between La, Sib's & Jap. iris' ? Hope you are coming to my house on 23rd for that teaching class. lol. I have had to start labeling mine what they are so I'd know.
tryliv
Booneville, MS

April 6, 2010
6:14 AM

Post #7683641

Bonnie, I just had to show you a pic of my Sango Kaku. It is putting on leaves so pretty now since it survived it's first winter with me! lol

Terrye

Thumbnail by tryliv

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

April 6, 2010
6:16 AM

Post #7683647

KA, got your message on FB--thanks! :o))

Windy here today but I will have to get out and mow the yard anyway--rain coming in tomorrow and the weeds have jumped up since I mowed last week--can't put it off.
tryliv
Booneville, MS

April 6, 2010
6:16 AM

Post #7683648

I didn't realized they bloomed! Mine is full of blooms right now.

Terrye

Thumbnail by tryliv

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

April 6, 2010
6:18 AM

Post #7683652

We crossed, Terrye. Nice tree! See you at Rita's! :o)
tryliv
Booneville, MS

April 6, 2010
6:20 AM

Post #7683657

Some of my later daffodils are beginning to bloom now. Here is Tahiti.

Terrye

Thumbnail by tryliv

tryliv
Booneville, MS

April 6, 2010
6:22 AM

Post #7683662

Morning, Marilyn. Thanks! I'm like you , I need to be out fighting weeds before the rain.
I can't wait till Rita's. i'm ready to see everyone!

Terrye
tryliv
Booneville, MS

April 6, 2010
6:26 AM

Post #7683672

Marilyn, I have a daffodil that is similiar to your Gentle Giant but mine is a dwarf. This is Einstein.

Terrye

Thumbnail by tryliv

tryliv
Booneville, MS

April 6, 2010
6:31 AM

Post #7683696

Grape hyacinths coming up through the phlox.
This happened by accident but I really like the effect. I may have to make it happen some more!

Terrye

This message was edited Apr 6, 2010 8:42 AM

Thumbnail by tryliv

n2birds
Lakeland / Memphis, TN
(Zone 7a)

April 6, 2010
7:06 AM

Post #7683773

Terrye - love your Sango ! You just can't beat those JM when they are coming out - one of the best times to photo them !!! I have some baby JM's I bought (1 &2 yr/o graphs) and have them in pots - and the Otake put off the same looking blooms as your Sango did. I was pretty impressed - so in the ground he went. lol.
crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 6, 2010
7:18 AM

Post #7683798

Nice pics Terrye! I'm finally getting to mine here. Busy this week so far, kinda odd.

This is my front flowerbed as of 4-4-10

Thumbnail by crissyr

crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 6, 2010
7:18 AM

Post #7683800

Tulips are winding down

Thumbnail by crissyr

crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 6, 2010
7:19 AM

Post #7683803

My Luna Hibiscus is coming back!!!! I noticed last night that my non hardy one is coming back too, I'll take a pic of that this evening hopefully.

Thumbnail by crissyr

crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 6, 2010
7:20 AM

Post #7683805

Ears from Kenny, thank you so much Kenny!! I just need to put them in the ground somewhere!

Thumbnail by crissyr

crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 6, 2010
7:20 AM

Post #7683808

I didn't think this was going to make it.

This message was edited Apr 6, 2010 9:21 AM

Thumbnail by crissyr

crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 6, 2010
7:22 AM

Post #7683813

I think this is a weed, but it's kinda cute so I'll leave it alone for a bit.

Thumbnail by crissyr

crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 6, 2010

Post #7683815

This was a huge Hosta last year, hopefully it will be bigger this year.

Thumbnail by crissyr

crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 6, 2010

Post #7683817

I don't know the name of this Hosta but it sure is pretty

Thumbnail by crissyr

crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 6, 2010
7:24 AM

Post #7683821

This Hosta blended in with the ground cover too much and I took it's wittle head off!

Thumbnail by crissyr

crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 6, 2010
7:25 AM

Post #7683826

Iris! Kim this is the one I gave you, they smell like white cake!

Thumbnail by crissyr

crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 6, 2010
7:25 AM

Post #7683827

Oooooooooooooooooooooo

Thumbnail by crissyr

crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 6, 2010
7:26 AM

Post #7683831

This Striped Tulip only produced one flower this year, I'm going to have to move it to a better place when they die out.

Thumbnail by crissyr

crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 6, 2010
7:28 AM

Post #7683835

This Lily is getting big!

Thumbnail by crissyr

crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 6, 2010
7:34 AM

Post #7683852

I'm going to have to control the bee balm. It's taking over!

Thumbnail by crissyr

crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 6, 2010
7:35 AM

Post #7683854

Hot Lips!

Thumbnail by crissyr

crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 6, 2010
7:35 AM

Post #7683855

Corn's growing like weeds!

Thumbnail by crissyr

crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 6, 2010

Post #7683857

Peas!

Thumbnail by crissyr

crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 6, 2010

Post #7683858

Close up of a Pea

Thumbnail by crissyr

crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 6, 2010

Post #7683860

Lamb's Ear coming back.

Thumbnail by crissyr

crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 6, 2010

Post #7683862

Broccoli.

Thumbnail by crissyr

crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 6, 2010
7:38 AM

Post #7683863

Row of Broccoli

Thumbnail by crissyr

crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 6, 2010
7:39 AM

Post #7683866

I don't know what this is.

Thumbnail by crissyr

crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 6, 2010
7:39 AM

Post #7683868

Red Potato and I think a Yellow Squash

Thumbnail by crissyr

crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 6, 2010
7:40 AM

Post #7683870

I planted an assortment of Lilies in the front flowerbed.

Thumbnail by crissyr

crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 6, 2010
7:41 AM

Post #7683873

Dogwoods are starting to bloom

Thumbnail by crissyr

gen2026
Camden, AR

April 6, 2010
8:27 AM

Post #7683970

Sorry Sandra... I will have to take a pic because I don't have CLUE (obviously!!) what I have !! It has finished blooming - but is putting on a lot of new growth.

Cindy - meant to tell you that I am TOTALLY jealous of your snowball bush! I just love them and have such trouble getting them to grow. Was so excited because my two new ones i planted last Spring survived the summer then the DEER found them this winter. They completely destroyed one of them and the other one is so tiny that IF it makes it, it surely won't have any blooms on it for several years! I wish I could purchase one about 5 ' tall and then put wire around it... these were only a couple of feet tall and it looks like the deer just trampled them!!

Crissy looks like everything is doing great at your house! Such lovely blooms!

My daffs and tulip magnolias are finishing up so I don't have much exciting going on in the yard currently... other than trying to plan a foundation planting and prepare the area. IF ya'll have any suggestions on plants for that I have a separate thread started...

Everything in the yard is yellow though from all the pollen ^_^
OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

April 6, 2010
8:50 AM

Post #7684019

Sharon, Thanks so much for your ID on the iris. It takes me a while to think up names anymore either. Even if it has no ID, I'm just thrilled to have them blooming in my garden.

Crissy, your gardens are really coming up nicely. It's still a bit early to plant anything here; our date is April 15, and wouldn't you know they are saying we might have frost tomorrow or Thursday night! Yikes! I'm glad I don't have any tender stuff in the ground yet, but it's sitting there waiting.

Our dogwood are opening up more and more each day. Tulips are close, but mine don't have too many buds on them this year. May be time for a move. Oh yeah, and I left work yesterday to find a dusting of pollen on my car. Ugh!!
gen2026
Camden, AR

April 6, 2010
9:09 AM

Post #7684059

Well, here it is more like PAINTED on everything!! Walked into the plant yesterday at lunch and the entire first floor is yellow because they had the overhead door open! :)
duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 6, 2010
9:51 AM

Post #7684166

Crissy, the plant that you are wondering if it is a weed...to me it is. lol Looks like wild violet and I pull and pitch as much as I can. However, many people pay for these invasive plants. You will have to decide.

Genna, the same painter has been here ;o) Everything is yellow-green.

I am really enjoying y'alls lovely garden pictures!
kjuddy
(karen) Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 6, 2010
11:15 AM

Post #7684353

Love the pictures - everything is blooming away - wish I was home working outside but here I am sitting in the car driving all the way to Augusta Georgia for the Masters Golf Tournament. DH is sooooo excited as apparently this is a once in a lifetime chance. We will only get to see the tournament on Thursday but still this is something on his bucket list. I am definitely NOT a golf fan but it'll be fun to experience it with him and when we are old and gray in a few years we can sit around in our rockers and talk about way back when we went to Augusta.

Have fun in your gardens girls!!
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

April 6, 2010
11:38 AM

Post #7684416

Karen, you and hubby have a great time at the Master's!

I think it is time for a new thread so, since nobody else has started one, I will do it. Join us over here:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1085977/
n2birds
Lakeland / Memphis, TN
(Zone 7a)

April 6, 2010

Post #7684655

Karen - soooo jeolous, but only because I heard it is worth going to at least once in your lifetime ... just to see the gardens !! lol... not the golfing pros. There is no way I could walk that course...but wishing you both a fun time.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Mid-South Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Mid-South Gardening forum! Terry 72 Jun 19, 2008 8:48 PM
Why Do Folks Love Living in the South? FlowrLady 174 Jan 21, 2008 1:12 AM
Look at my daffodils! chicochi3 37 Nov 6, 2007 4:00 PM
New to this forum corgimom 40 Jul 22, 2010 11:22 AM
Help!! My Hibiscus is ?????????? elamap 2 May 3, 2007 4:59 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America