What's that Circle Thingy on the Front of Barns?

Spiro, OK(Zone 7a)

LOL I wish I could be more clever in asking this question, but I'm hoping someone can give me a phrase to look up in Google! You know those signs on the front of a barn that are circles, often with pictures of birds on them? I think they have particular meaning depending on what's depicted on them. I'd like to find one for our barn, but I have no clue what they're called so I can look them up! Can anyone help a newbie farmer out? Thanks!

Eileen

Hillsborough, NC(Zone 7b)

Do you mean an Amish Hex sign?

Caneyville, KY(Zone 6b)

Cool! Cool! Cool! I didn't know what they were called either. Just did some light reading about them from google search, but will have to go back and explore more!

Panama, NY(Zone 5a)

Stan painted one of his own design on our 'un-quilted' shed. He said it meant that he could paint circles as well as straight lines.

Thumbnail by Kathleen

Very nice Kathleen my compliments to your hubby..very nice perfect circle!!

Back in the day..the design was engineered for specific reasons to ward off..or to encourage.... as protection....to display desire for... etc. etc.

Caneyville, KY(Zone 6b)

http://www.bigbhive.com/hex.html

I didn't look at all of them for the meaning, but those I did were pretty interesting.

Flora, IN(Zone 5a)

I think you might have better luck looking at Pennsylvania dutch instead of Amish the Amish keep things plain and would consider that a decoration.

Spiro, OK(Zone 7a)

Yes, that's exactly what I was looking for. I also read that the Penn. Dutch use them, but the Amish generally don't. Sweet! Now to see if a.) I can decide on one and b.) if I can afford one! LOL

Flora, IN(Zone 5a)

It took me a while to find this photo , It is an open garden I visited once. they had three on their storage barn.

Thumbnail by gardengus
Caneyville, KY(Zone 6b)

What a pretty picture! Thanks for sharing it.

Monroe, WI(Zone 4b)

Around here in the last couple of years some people have been putting up what is called "Barn Quilts"..........it is quilting patterns painted on *usually* 2 sheets of 4x8 plywood. Maybe if there is someone on the group that has a photo of one and could post it?? I don't.........and I told SU to please not even THINK of getting me one because I don't like them. Now, now, before anyone rushes up to beat me, it is just MY personal feelings on them.

There are quite a few of them in my area on barns.

Richmond, TX

I think it looks neat when the whole barn is quilted.

Panama, NY(Zone 5a)

Usually it's just the square with the red, we went whole hog.

Thumbnail by Kathleen

I will post a few

Thumbnail by missingrosie

and another

still another

last...shut your eyes Anna - there are several on this shot! (grin)

Richmond, TX

Kathleen's barn takes the prize!

Monroe, WI(Zone 4b)

LOL..........I can appreciate the work that goes into them, but I just don't care for them. :>)

Panama, NY(Zone 5a)

An Amish neighbor asked what our barn meant (all the ladies were asking her) and I told her it meant that Tenpases really are crazy people!

Mr, you've got some really nice ones there.

This message was edited Mar 24, 2010 7:35 AM

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

I agree with Anna. If you like them, fine. But won't find them here. Farm decorations should be nicely painted buildings & white fences. Then add lots of flowers & trees. That will bring in many birds & animals. A lot more exciting than a "thing" on the end of your barn that has no meaning to anyone passing by.
Our place is a work in progress. Another year or two & we will fit the description I mentioned above.
We will be "Homey".
Bernie

Waddy, KY

It's kinda funny down here. There's be this barn that badly needs new siding but there'll be this fancy "quilt" on it's side. I'm afraid my money would have bought a real barn pattern before I put up a quilt.

Janet

I just googled for photos since Anna was asking for photos. My friend went nuts when I showed her yours - (she is a quilter)

My little shed wouldn't hold a quilt. I did paint a rooster once on a circular piece of wood for up on the peak. One of the neighbors kids said "Gee, my mom says she likes your dinosaur!!"

Caneyville, KY(Zone 6b)

I had read an article a couple of years ago about barn quilts, but couldn't remember many details. Found these web sites.

From waymaking.com
The original Barn Quilt project was funded by a Blue Ridge National Heritage Grant through Handmade in America. The mission of the organization is to protect, preserve, interpret and develop the unique natural, historical and cultural resources for the benefit of present and future generations.

From harriscountybarnquilts.com
Let our barn quilts guide you on a scenic tour through one of the most beautiful counties in the commonwealth of Kentucky. Painted by members of the community, including students from Harrison County Middle and High Schools, these quilts honor our wonderful heritage of family, farming and, of course, quilting.

Personally, I think they are pretty cool. But I wouldn't have one here. It would really look out of place here. We share Bernie's feelings.

Laceys Spring, AL(Zone 7a)

I love the barn quilts. Years ago when my ex-husband's parents lived in PA, I collected a bunch of the Pennsylvania Dutch hex signs on a visit up there. The first place I saw them was on barns, but you'd see some on houses and other buildings. The designs on the hex signs mean different things...love, fertility, etc.

Farmington, NM(Zone 5a)

here's mine - for my chicken coop (not quite a barn i know but it's what i've got...). i just finished painting it today.

Thumbnail by cerridwenn
Richmond, TX

Very clever!

Great color and design!

You just need a 'fox keep out!'

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images