Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

Question about potting up

Northwest, MO(Zone 5a)

The seeds that I started in sterilized potting mix have germinated and many are ready to be potted up in to bigger pots.

My question is...can I just pot them up in regular potting soil such as Miracle Grow...or do I also need to sterilize this soil as well.

Also....do I use Hydrogen Peroxide or Alcohol in my water to deter mold?

Büllingen, Belgium(Zone 6b)

You can pot them up in regular potting soil or the soil from your garden. I never sterilize the soil. If you do, you'll also destroy everything that's good for a plant (in nature nothing is sterilized!!).

I tried Hydrogen Peroxide and a lot of other things in my water, but nothing prevented mold for`100% when the plants are indoors. Indoors there is not enough circulation. But I never lost a plant because there was mould. I just take it away every week. The plants seem not to bother.

I always keep the left over seedlings for another 2 weeks, in case something goes wrong with the ones I transplanted.

Jonna

Galesburg, IL

Also-- commercial potting soils do not need sterilizing, they are already free of plant pathogens. I also agree with Jonna on the use of hydrogen peroxide. Save your money and spend your time watering correctly and you won't have to worry.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.