Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Seed Germination: Question about potting up

Communities > Forums > Seed Germination
bookmark
Forum: Seed GerminationReplies: 2, Views: 56
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Debsroots
Northwest, MO
(Zone 5a)

March 20, 2010
4:43 AM

Post #7642572

The seeds that I started in sterilized potting mix have germinated and many are ready to be potted up in to bigger pots.

My question is...can I just pot them up in regular potting soil such as Miracle Grow...or do I also need to sterilize this soil as well.

Also...do I use Hydrogen Peroxide or Alcohol in my water to deter mold?
JonnaSudenius

(Zone 6b)

March 20, 2010
1:51 PM

Post #7643563

You can pot them up in regular potting soil or the soil from your garden. I never sterilize the soil. If you do, you'll also destroy everything that's good for a plant (in nature nothing is sterilized!!).

I tried Hydrogen Peroxide and a lot of other things in my water, but nothing prevented mold for`100% when the plants are indoors. Indoors there is not enough circulation. But I never lost a plant because there was mould. I just take it away every week. The plants seem not to bother.

I always keep the left over seedlings for another 2 weeks, in case something goes wrong with the ones I transplanted.

Jonna

trc65
Galesburg, IL

March 20, 2010
2:28 PM

Post #7643610

Also-- commercial potting soils do not need sterilizing, they are already free of plant pathogens. I also agree with Jonna on the use of hydrogen peroxide. Save your money and spend your time watering correctly and you won't have to worry.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Seed Germination Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Propagation: Why are some seedlings "leggy"? gardendragon 18 May 8, 2013 6:47 PM
Welcome to the Seed Germination Discussion Forum! dave 20 Dec 23, 2009 2:56 PM
Jiffy Mini-Greenhouse for starting seeds PeggieK 188 Mar 21, 2013 11:19 AM
Stratification kimmers 27 Mar 26, 2014 4:37 PM
Sowing in Spaghnum moss Laurie1 3 Mar 8, 2007 11:55 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America