Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Winter Sowing: Supposed to be warm today, should I open up my jugs?

Communities > Forums > Winter Sowing
bookmark
Forum: Winter SowingReplies: 2, Views: 38
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Pippi21
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 6b)

March 20, 2010
5:26 AM

Post #7642621

Yesterday, it was 68 degrees, and today is supposed to be a repeat performance or higher. .should I open up my milk jugs where they have germinated . Or just open the jugs up a little ways?

tcs1366

tcs1366
Leesburg, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 20, 2010
6:25 AM

Post #7642734

for smaller seedlings... i keep the jugs closed. I really do not open them up all the way unless they are larger | few inches tall.

It has been windy as all get-up ... so they stay more protected from elements.

BUT -- here it's snowing **sigh** so they are covered again.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

March 25, 2010
7:55 AM

Post #7654749

Pippi21,
This was my first WSing season. I had great success and learned a LOT!

And, one thing I learned for next time is that I'll NOT open any jugs until I'm ready to plant them into my garden... If you think they're getting heat build inside from too much sun, move the jugs to a more shaded or indirect light location, but don't open the jug. Seems like there's some sort of greenhouse heat exchange going on inside that the seeds enjoy. This also seems to be disrupted with the opening and closing of the jug.

My rationale is an accidental observation I made from some jugs that I kept opening and closing vs. some jugs that I never opened at all. The ones in the unopened jugs outdistanced the ones I kept opening (same type of seedlings). Once I resealed the "peepers," and stopped "peeping," they caught up to the others!

Nuff' said...

Go for "jugeye" instead, and peep down the spout. Just make sure no one has outlined it with a blackie marker!

Thumbnail by Gymgirl
Click the image for an enlarged view.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Winter Sowing Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Winter Sowing Seed Swap .....part 2 alicewho 213 Mar 23, 2007 1:01 PM
Lessons learned for next year #2 zenpotter 256 Mar 23, 2007 7:56 AM
Milk jugs TurtleChi 99 Mar 19, 2007 12:20 PM
WS Poppies & transplant problems marie_ 100 May 11, 2011 4:44 PM
Database germination info bluespiral 6 Mar 5, 2008 12:23 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America