Recommended plants for a strawberry pot.

San Diego, CA(Zone 10b)

I purchased a nice, glazed strawberry pot last year and attempted to use it as an herb garden container. That didn't work so well and also did not look very nice. The plant openings in this particular pot are not very large. This year I plan to plant it with decorative plants. Anyone have any recommendations other than the traditional Hens 'n Chicks?

Oh, I did learn that it helps to place small PVC pipe with holes drilled in it in the center of the pot to help distribute water. The watering part worked well last year. I just wasn't happy with the herbs.

I am open to annuals or perennials and I plan to display it in on the steps of a porch with a sunny southern exposure. I have thought of Angelina Sedum or Moss Rose.

Thanks

Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

This site has an awesome article on pocket planters:

http://www.gardeningknowhow.com/urban/gardening-with-strawberry-jars.htm

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I like Alpine Strawberries (tiny, tasty and berry until frost). What ever you choose to plant in there, do not put the root ball in the cup. Make sure the root of the plant is in the big pot part. Pretend the cups are not there. It will hold the foliage. In a few of weeks it will really take off an will have the look you are wanting. Last year I bought a nice glazed pot and did some short mounding herbs like thyme, summer savory, lemon balm, chocolate mint etc. and had a dwarf tomato Red Robin for the top.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I fill a tube with vermiculite and run string to each cup to wick the water.

Thumbnail by joannabanana
Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Here's a pic of planting the root in the big part of the pot not the cup

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

You basically plant it sideways

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Here's a pic just after planting

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

And a picture later in the season

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

You do an excellent/superb job, joanna!

San Diego, CA(Zone 10b)

Thanks everyone. I appreciate the suggestions.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.