Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Mid-South Gardening: growing plants & fish in a galvanized tub

Communities > Forums > Mid-South Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Mid-South GardeningReplies: 5, Views: 69
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
babybluesntn
Hendersonville, TN
(Zone 7b)

March 21, 2010
5:24 PM

Post #7646385

Okay, I want to buy an 8' diameter steel galvanized tub/trough to use as a pond in the ground. Mostly I'll plant iris in it and elevate them off the bottom but I also wanted to put some fish in it. Any idea if the metal will hurt the fish or the plants? I wouldn't think it would hurt either since they are used for livestock and horses to drink out of, but I wanted some opinions.
Thanks!
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

March 21, 2010
5:37 PM

Post #7646422

Many years ago I had a friend that was going to clean his aquarium so he put his tropicals in a metal lined cooler. Not long and they were belly up.
babybluesntn
Hendersonville, TN
(Zone 7b)

March 22, 2010
7:18 PM

Post #7649155

Hmmm. thanks! I also thought this week about perhaps lining it with a black rubber liner like you use anyway.
n2birds
Lakeland / Memphis, TN
(Zone 7a)

March 23, 2010
5:56 AM

Post #7649749

We use a galvanized tub for our filtration for our koi pond. The first year - our plants started off terrible - so we figured it was because of the heat it holds. So we insulated the outside and put a wooden frame around it. It does do better with the plants now, but still not great. The water hyacinths do good, but the parrots feather does not. Friends of ours got the similar size tub, but in rubber - and theirs does remarkably better. Not sure if it all has to do with the tub, or the water. So far, filtering it into the koi pond has not seemed to tarnish the fish. We've had it thru 2 summers so far.
Not sure if that info. helps or not, but wanted to share our experience.
babybluesntn
Hendersonville, TN
(Zone 7b)

March 24, 2010
7:58 AM

Post #7652417

Thanks, n2birds - it helps to know other's experience. I plan to recess this trough into the ground, so the ground should keep it from holding so much heat. Tractor Supply has rubber troughs too, but I figured they would crack at some point and have to be replaced--the galvanized steel wouldn't. It might rust out at some point down the road but if I cover it with the back rubber that probably will solve alot of problems.
ButterflyChaser
Northeast, AR
(Zone 7a)

March 26, 2010
4:28 PM

Post #7658447

I'd go with the black plastic preformed ponds myself. If they do crack, they're easy to fix with silicone and/or duct tape. (Yep, I've done this!) To reduce the risk of cracking, which usually occurs when the water freezes, you can buy a pond heater to use throughout the winter. It's a glass tube with a heater in it, similar to what you find in aquariums, and it will keep the water from freezing. If you're going to have fish in there, you don't want the water to completely freeze anyway. If you run the heater, you can still run a fountain in there all winter. When using a heater, you want to keep it off the sides of the pond. I put mine in a pot of rocks so it's stabilized.

There's also the thick black plastic pond liner you can buy and then make your pond just about any size and shape you want. They hold up well. Tree roots will burrow thru them if you have trees whose roots surface. But you probably don't want a pond near a tree anyway or you'll continually be cleaning it out.

NancyAnn

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Mid-South Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Mid-South Gardening forum! Terry 72 Jun 19, 2008 8:48 PM
Why Do Folks Love Living in the South? FlowrLady 174 Jan 21, 2008 1:12 AM
Look at my daffodils! chicochi3 37 Nov 6, 2007 4:00 PM
New to this forum corgimom 40 Jul 22, 2010 11:22 AM
Help!! My Hibiscus is ?????????? elamap 2 May 3, 2007 4:59 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America