Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Voting Booth: Do you grow flowers for cutting?

Communities > Forums > Voting Booth
bookmark
Forum: Voting BoothReplies: 38, Views: 453
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
admin

(Zone 7a)

March 22, 2010
9:50 AM

Post #7647817

There are a total of 268 votes:

I'm a market grower and sell cut flowers.
(6 votes, 2%)
Red dot

I plant a special group of flowers just for cutting.
(18 votes, 6%)
Red dot

I'll cut some of whatever happens to be blooming and bring them inside.
(179 votes, 66%)
Red dot

I don't have the space for a cutting garden, but splurge on bouquets at the market.
(14 votes, 5%)
Red dot

I don't have cut flowers in the house.
(51 votes, 19%)
Red dot

Previous Polls

Beach_Barbie
Kure Beach, NC
(Zone 9a)

March 22, 2010
12:17 PM

Post #7648117

Good gravy, I'm the first??
I usually just wader around the house, clipping here and there and often find that leaves can be just as striking as blooms. Fatsia, artemisia, cordyline, certain hanging succulents. They all look good in vases.
Barb

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

March 22, 2010
12:24 PM

Post #7648132

I should have been first, but my post didn't go!

I raise Gladiolus for cut flower sales. Cut other flowers around the yard at times.
Bernie

Thumbnail by CountryGardens
Click the image for an enlarged view.

momcat
northeast, IL
(Zone 5a)

March 22, 2010
1:00 PM

Post #7648224

If I cut flowers and bring them inside they will get chewed up and dragged all over. The dogs would love it, but nothing is safe it seems. So, ... Nothing green inside for me.

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

March 22, 2010
1:02 PM

Post #7648230

I cutting some flowers for dried press for crafts...
mcash70
Logan Lake, BC
(Zone 3a)

March 22, 2010
3:58 PM

Post #7648644

I cut whatever is blooming and sometimes add leaves or small branches from a shrub or tree.
sharonf1
Lake in the Hills, IL
(Zone 5a)

March 22, 2010
4:52 PM

Post #7648775

Cut whatever. This year I did pick up a group of seed for 'fragrant flowers." No idea yet if I'll spread them out or group them...

~Sharon
Steve812
Prescott, AZ
(Zone 7a)

March 22, 2010
6:14 PM

Post #7649004

I am a great fan of fragrance in flowers. When I buy plants, I try to select fragrant daffodils, roses, peonies, lilies, and daylilies when possible so that when I do cut a flower I can bring the fragrance indoors. (Note to self... plant lilac, viburnum & cytisus purgans.) Sadly, some flowers don't work well for cutting. Hyacinths are in full bloom now, making the whole yard smell delicious; but they don't seem quite right as cut flowers. And many flowers just don't have long, fleshy stems for cutting. Also, it's only for a few weeks in April and May that there are many flowers around suitable for cutting. So I probably cut flowers on two or three occasions in a year.
bonehead
Cedarhome, WA
(Zone 8b)

March 22, 2010
6:31 PM

Post #7649050

I try to have a vase of cut something from my yard on the mantle throughout the year. It can be a challenge, but as others have noted, foliage works.
nomosno
San Diego, CA
(Zone 10b)

March 23, 2010
12:16 AM

Post #7649462

My good fortune allows me to live in San Diego, a beautiful city with a wonderful climate where something (many things actually) always bloom in my garden. I fact a few years ago I made the point of cutting flowers every month and taking a picture of them: here is the aggregate of the 12 images. Some of these plants are practically always in bloom, such as the gerber daisy, the bromeliads, various kalanchoes and crassulas. Unfortunately I lost the August picture and I substituted it with a picture of a crassula falcata, a plant with the reddest flowers I have ever seen in my life.

Enjoy

Thumbnail by nomosno

BlissfulGarden
Baton Rouge, LA

March 23, 2010
5:03 AM

Post #7649626

During spring, summer and fall, I typically have a bouquet with clematis, roses and various types of fern in at least one room of the house. I add irises (bearded and Louisiana) and sometimes daisies when in bloom as well.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

March 23, 2010
5:25 AM

Post #7649673

I voted with the most--ocasionally--
One year I took iris blooms and daisies to the yard sale and they all sold~
westraad
Xai Xai
Mozambique

March 23, 2010
5:41 AM

Post #7649719

i cut my daisies and roses to put inside the house.
isaac

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 23, 2010
6:22 AM

Post #7649826

I don't bring them in the house usually, because I enjoy them in the garden. The sunshine looks so pretty on them and I love to see the wind making them sway and bob. In the house they just sit there still and lifeless until they die. Outside they do die, but another is in it's place usually before I notice.

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

March 23, 2010
7:36 AM

Post #7650060

There is not much I hate more in the house as cut flowers. My mom was the same and I was brought up that way. Plus, cut flowers and dried flowers are bad feng-shui. Why tempt fate?

Also, cut flowers are so high maintenance items: change the water every day, wash the vase, a drop of bleach in the water, a sprinkle of sugar in the water, remove any slime that may have formed on the submerged stems, make a fresh cut on the end of the stem, throw out the pittiful ones, arrange them so they don't look like the aftermath of a hurricane, etc, etc., etc.

And don't even get me started on guests who brings a bunch of flowers when they visit. To me, nothing spells pestilential trouble like high-speed ikebana while trying to entertain.

But don't get me wrong: we enjoy having live blooms in the house on a continual basis. My orchid collection supplies them. When none is in bloom, I can go down the street and buy a blooming phalaenopsis for $9. The blooms usually last at least 6 weeks, often more. It's cheap, compared to cut flowers and our dining room table is always adorned with living blooms.

Take care, all.
Sylvain.

irisMA

irisMA
South Hamilton, MA

March 23, 2010
8:37 AM

Post #7650224

I really enjoy plants in the garden, but if I have a great number, I will cut & bring inside, like a select few from the daffodils lining a stone wall outside. If I don't cut from just one place, a few missing won't be noticed. I don't do much arranging here as I do the church flowers once a month.
graingerb78
Milton, FL

March 23, 2010
11:44 AM

Post #7650625

The last time I cut flowers to bring inside, my husband had an allergy attack. I though he was getting a cold but when I took the flowers out of the house he got better. No more cut flowers in my house =(.
CherokeeGreg
Fresno, CA
(Zone 9a)

March 23, 2010
1:14 PM

Post #7650775

I bring them inside as much as possible. I work full time and also a care giver to my 82 year old mom. I bring her flowers often . She said im still the same as I was when I was a little boy !

Thumbnail by CherokeeGreg

bonehead
Cedarhome, WA
(Zone 8b)

March 23, 2010
1:57 PM

Post #7650840

Ah, I forgot the work thing (I currently work from home). When I worked in-office I made a point of bringing a new clutch of flowers from my garden every Monday. It really cheered me up when folks got grumpy.
rockgardner
Billerica, MA
(Zone 6a)

March 23, 2010
4:29 PM

Post #7651140

I'm with the majority vote but if it were possible I'd be planning my garden more with cut flowers in mind. Unfortunately, my DW has allergies to many blooming plants so I have to be careful of what I bring in from the garden.

nomosno... like your photo collage. You could make your own calander, and be very proud of it.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

March 23, 2010
4:40 PM

Post #7651166

gee, if I ran down to the store ( in MD ) for a new orchid it would be 25 bucks a pop!

greenbrain

greenbrain
Madison, IL
(Zone 6b)

March 23, 2010
8:17 PM

Post #7651687

The cats eat the flower heads, so I don't bring flowers in too often.
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

March 23, 2010
10:55 PM

Post #7651921

I only have silK flowers in the house.LOL

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

March 24, 2010
1:13 PM

Post #7652973

Well, I now have a 'bouquet' of daffodils on my table...we had a carpenter friend come and do a bit of work and he brought his 5 year old daughter,(it was a pretty day, and the job was small) who proceeded to pick every blossom in my yard and proudly present them to me...ah, well...the thought was there. She meant well.
mcash70
Logan Lake, BC
(Zone 3a)

March 24, 2010
2:45 PM

Post #7653164

LOL...That's funny!! Sorry melody I'm sure it's not too funny to you!

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

March 24, 2010
2:51 PM

Post #7653181

What goes around comes around...

I had to bite my tongue and think back to when my best buddy and I spent the night with her granny. (we were just a bit older, but not much, maybe 7)

We didn't pick her flowers...noooo...we went next door and picked all of her neighbors tulips!
mcash70
Logan Lake, BC
(Zone 3a)

March 24, 2010
3:04 PM

Post #7653220

That's what my daughter did when she was around that age.

when she and her brother got a little older not only did they pick the neighbors flowers, but they would go door to door selling them!! I didn't find this out of course until they were adults...lol

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

March 24, 2010
10:58 PM

Post #7654187

DD's BFF around that age picked flowers for me--and taught me to enjoy my flowers, and daughter's friends, they are fleeting anyway, and the plants will be there year after year, if not already making new buds anyway.

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 25, 2010
5:32 AM

Post #7654458

Too funny Melody!!

Bonehead...I forgot the work thing too. I am retired now, but at one time I worked in a window-less office with grumpy people. So I would treat myself to flowers each Monday and give any of the previous week's survivors to the front desk person. It was a great treat for me and her. Then I moved offices and someone was allergic and had to stop.
twinkielee
Minden, LA

March 25, 2010
6:25 AM

Post #7654564

There is usually something blooming in my yard or in the surrounding woods so I'm seldom without a sprig of something in my favorite yellow vase at home. Since I'm pre-retirement (and really looking forward to that) and my office has no windows for security reasons, I treat myself to grocery store flowers whenever the last bouquet needs replacing.

Since my now-grown boys enjoyed helping me plant my spring bedding plants and so forth, they never picked my blossoms, but the neighbor children often brought me bouquets of my own flowers.
temafilly
Oconomowoc, WI
(Zone 4b)

March 26, 2010
1:16 PM

Post #7658137

Happy Spring All!
My front bed has a space I keep open specifically for any annuals that strike my fancy for the year. I generally don't bring blooms in unless they're accidentally bent or broken while I'm puttering around grooming, or if it's the last blossom on a daylily scape.
I'll join it with a spray of snapdragons, dahlia, salvia, physostegia or cleome (these can last a week or more but they're a bit messy) and back it with a hosta leaf - solid blue-green or vareigated depends on the color of the 'lilies in question. Mint or Oregano stems can give a bit of texture and scent if your flowers don't have any of their own.
Simple 'country' bouquets in a 1" wide vase adorn my kitchen island most of the time from mid-summer to fall. Just something to smile at until the next day in the gardens!

The memories of Summer give way to the anticipations of Spring...

This message was edited Mar 26, 2010 3:16 PM

Thumbnail by temafilly

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

March 26, 2010
1:33 PM

Post #7658161

I'll bring branches of leaves in come fall...
temafilly
Oconomowoc, WI
(Zone 4b)

March 26, 2010
1:42 PM

Post #7658182

@ Melody: we've many mature trees in the yard so I've enough branches on the GROUND! LOL!... I use them as plant stakes or markers.
westraad
Xai Xai
Mozambique

March 27, 2010
10:23 AM

Post #7660077

Oh, melody, you really made me laugh!! the things we kids do... lol
isaac
stevesivek
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 28, 2010
3:40 AM

Post #7661376

My gardens are planted for the beauty that grows there. I never bring in cut flowers. For myself, I enjoy the various textures and colors of the whole palette that is the garden. Why bring in blooms from the big outdoor room (known as my yard) to another room indoors.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

March 28, 2010
8:06 AM

Post #7661819

melody I never thought of that but why not? I'm often wishing I could preserve the colored fall leaves on the grass.

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

March 28, 2010
11:13 AM

Post #7662180

You can scan them in to your computer if you have a scanner. You can also scan flowers. Make a little cardboard collar to keep layered flowers from looking squished and drape a dark cloth over your scanner to block light. You can scan almost anything this way, rocks, shells, twigs...
IceTiger
Portland, OR
(Zone 8a)

March 28, 2010
1:33 PM

Post #7662525

I don't like to interfere in the sex lives of my plants.

Flowers are so much more enjoyable on a living plant. I like to bring my potted plants inside at night when they bloom.

Taking someone to a garden is so much more romantic than giving a bouquet.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

March 29, 2010
6:12 AM

Post #7663789

ah, taking someone to the garden...you're right!

melody thanks for the scan tips. I did try photographing some one year, on black construction paper- by that point I had found out how white background confused my camera.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Voting Booth Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Type of lawn mower? dave 62 Nov 12, 2009 10:40 PM
Do you make compost? dave 52 Feb 22, 2010 8:05 PM
What's your one must-have gardening item? dave 195 Apr 6, 2012 2:46 PM
Botany Quiz: Monocarpic means dave 36 Sep 23, 2012 2:09 AM
How did you find out about DG? dave 150 Sep 30, 2014 3:18 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America