Hard to believe how time has flown, but the16th DG annual photo contest has begun! Find the details here. Best wishes to all the entrants!!!

SOLVED: Flowering Okra

Longview, TX

I bought a Flowering Okra today. The color is similiar to a Tx Star hibiscus. The leaves are different though. The leaves are more rounded....and have 3 rounded points instead of the thinner Tx Star leaves.
The flower is single...very pretty. I would like to find this plant, its latin name, and more about it. The guys at the nursery I bought it from didnt know.......ha.

Hibiscus esculentus

Longview, TX

thanks Baa....but that isnt it...the flower is single...but not filled in like the variety you thought....it is single...but almost like a tx star hibiscus....the color is a pinkish, almost a coral mix in it..a tad orange...strange colored like tx star....very pretty...Im wondering if it is annual, or perrenial, and where to put it. I have heard of it spoken in Daves....now I cant find anything on it...oh boy...which I had a digital camera!!!

I haven't a clue what a Tx star hibiscus looks like other than typically hibiscus like, its not a widely grown plant in Britain.

Is your okra an edible one? Any more details?

This message was edited Saturday, Sep 29th 8:07 PM

Longview, TX

If it has edible pods I havent seen them. I believe Okra is kin to Mallows/Hibiscus,,,in that family so to speak. The pods I saw were dried, and had seeds in them just like hibiscus. They were dark brown, and well dried. I never saw them green. Sorry I cant give more info right now.

Yes they are in the Malvaceae family under Hibiscus, I'm just sorry I can't give you more info.

Spicewood, TX(Zone 8b)

Edible okra is Abelmoschus esculentus (sp?) and also some call it Hibiscus esculentus. There is an ornamental kind called Abelmoschus manihot but since I've never grown it I don't know if it matches your description. Let me know if it does.

Longview, TX

This pic is very close go the flower.http://www.hortpix.com/pix/U8N4E2.jpg

Longview, TX

The main diff is there is no white in the middle...otherwise it is very close...

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.