-
AuthorContent
EastOfMidnite
Cleveland, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 24, 2010
8:13 AM

Post #7652447

For a start i`m going w/a 12*12 cord wood shanty, to get me through the first season,have plenty of tree`s.For the lid im going w/a standing seam metal shed style roof w/water catchment.One of my thoughts are,what is the most economical use of the tree?As in min. width of wall? It wont be my perm.living space,future uses to be battery bank,tools and utility.would 8" uninsulated suffice? Do have decent wood burner for comfort.#2-Am going w/wind and solar,Between the two what amount of juice do I need to generate to adequately run laptop/cell phone,small flat screen/dvd? Not all at once mind you.#3 Am going w/a used servel along w/an on demand hot water to keep somewhat human.Grey-water yep composting toilet gotcha, cabin fever not yet hehe.Sand filter for water coupled w/good old boiling.Ive missed an awful lot I`m certain but have been saving and studying said lifestyle for quite some time.Any and all insight which I`m lacking would be highly regarded.Thank all of you for you and yours in keeping our lands somewhat livable,and our heritage viable.
Jayryunen
Sapello, NM
(Zone 5b)

March 24, 2010
10:08 AM

Post #7652655

Can't help with any of this, except to say that uninsulated may not work for comfort. Even though the cob provides mass, it doesn't insulate. Around here in adobe land we've taken to insulating on the outside for more stable temps., usually 2" rigid, stuccoed over.

I also wonder if an 8" wall would be stable at the height you need for a living space... what are the usual dimensions for cordwood/cob building?

If you're using the water from rain fall, boiling shouldn't be necessary, but you might want a charcoal filter to deal with the algae taste from storage. If you're relying on creek water, boiling may not be enough to kill some parasites or have any effect on heavy metals... it might be a good idea to have some water testing done on your source to determine what's there and the best way to deal with any problems.

I'd recommend you invest in some Backwood Home anthologies and a subscription [no, I don't derive any benefit from this rec'd]... they have a lot of info and a lot of alternative ideas for handling things. This month is the beginning of a series on safe water supply and water treatments... very nice, very thorough explanation of hazards and options. They've had a lot of articles on sizing alternative power systems, pros and cons of various systems, all sorts of stuff right up your alley.

Countryside is another good mag, but I've found more hardcore info in BHM. Many interesting ideas in Countryside, and great letters and fellowship. I got the idea for some earthbag building from them, but had to do the research to find out how to properly do it online. Both mags have lots of inspiration, something that keeps me going during the worn-out times.

Keep us posted on what you learn and how things go... are you setting up in OH?
EastOfMidnite
Cleveland, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 24, 2010
11:16 AM

Post #7652749

Jayryunun thanx for the info. bldg. will be post and beam reinforced.I`m retired I`m outta cleveland for good,except to visit my son.I`m going to Shannon Co. Missouri.Cost of living there is very reasonable.I`ll be about 3/4 mi. from jack`s Fork river.Near the town of Birch Tree.As I mentioned earlier this is to establish boots on the ground,permenant shanty will be shipping containers w/top side solar and veggy garden, all for now will send pics.
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

March 24, 2010
11:22 AM

Post #7652756

Looking forward to updates and pics!

Aren't cordwood structures typically 12"-16"?

Oops! Forgot to welcome you to Dave's Garden!

This message was edited Mar 24, 2010 1:23 PM
Jayryunen
Sapello, NM
(Zone 5b)

March 24, 2010
11:54 AM

Post #7652818

Ah, post and beam with cord/cob infill... that is a whole different kettle of fish, as they say. =0) Seems like if you do it a little at a time, say a foot or two up, that 8" would be good. With the cob, of course, you've got to leave time for it to dry a bit before you can go up more, or the whole wall will slip on you.

What kind of foundation do you plan? How much overhang are you planning to have on the roof? And what about tiedown for the roof, how are you planning on handling that? Because near as I can tell, tornadoes are popping up just any ol' where these days.

Also, check the building codes... there was a sad story about a couple of women that got evicted from their own micro dwelling a while back in Countryside mag... the local authorities caught them living in a sweet little cob house not permitted for human habitation and busted 'em. At least one of them was on disability, and they were pretty broke, but the law has no mercy. So I'd encourage you to stay on the legal side of the housing code... however that might be accomplished. If you like, I can try and figure out what issue the story was in.
EastOfMidnite
Cleveland, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 24, 2010
1:46 PM

Post #7653045

Thank you,Msrobin think I will go 12". What the heck just because it`s not to be permanently lived in I want it to last.No building codes that i`m aware of Jayryunun.If so I`ll stay in my tent! But I will surely ck. on that.planned on screwing angle iron to beams and spot weld roof to it. foundation.angle iron and threaded rod then scewed into vertical beams.Roof to over hang 2 feet all the way around. w/front of roof angled downward.concrete foundation/reinforced
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

March 24, 2010
1:48 PM

Post #7653051

Gonna add some colored glass bottles too, right? :)
EastOfMidnite
Cleveland, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 24, 2010
2:05 PM

Post #7653075

Absolutly-my favorite color alchahol colored hahaha
Jayryunen
Sapello, NM
(Zone 5b)

March 24, 2010
2:14 PM

Post #7653097

Say, East, you oughta mosey on over to Retired in Alabama's thread here on Homestead and ask him about sizing your system... he's off grid and currently showing us all how to build an electricity generating water wheel.

And there are building codes everywhere in this country, so assume there's one there, too. In fact, I think MO is where those women were, back in the woods thinking no one would notice 'em. They got a grumpy code enforcer, could be the one in your area is a little more accomodating.

How much land have you got?
freedom_sailer
Vernon, AL

March 25, 2010
5:18 PM

Post #7655920

many of your old style logs homes (cabins) were built with nothing actualy holding them togather except the knotches in them. an most have rotted down. not blown down, they brace themselves quite nicely, if you look at the pic of my cabin. my ground floor is actualy 5 feet off the ground in front .. an touching in the rear. and its made from 10 to 12 inch logs all knotched and hand fitted togather. my kitchen is all log 12ft.x 12ft. square. my celling hight is 7ft. in the kitchen an bath, bottom floor. 2nd floor living room has 8ft. cellings an the 3rd floor bedroom has 8ft cellings also. 1116 sq. feet of living space.

This message was edited Mar 25, 2010 7:20 PM
EastOfMidnite
Cleveland, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 25, 2010
6:36 PM

Post #7656134

I`m hip to that Free! beautiful place you have there.My self still tidying up loose ends here in cleveland.Hope to get to Missouri in about 3 weeks at the latest to start on mine.Will have to tent it till I atleast get a shell of a building up.Splinters and smashed fingers here we come.
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

March 25, 2010
6:53 PM

Post #7656208

What area of Missouri?
EastOfMidnite
Cleveland, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 25, 2010
6:59 PM

Post #7656234

Birch Tree,Shannon Co, about one mile from Jacks Fork river
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

March 25, 2010
7:01 PM

Post #7656244

LOL, It's obviously in the boonies, as I've never heard any of those names.
EastOfMidnite
Cleveland, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 25, 2010
7:06 PM

Post #7656256

Thats the point I am through working 8 people per sq. mi. I`m gone soon girl
freedom_sailer
Vernon, AL

March 25, 2010
11:46 PM

Post #7656812

Congrads East, once your there and get it all started you'll never wanna leave, LOL i hate goin to the lil country store 6 miles from here. now when i do everyone is like .. oooooOOOOH dang he's come up outta that hole. hehee
EastOfMidnite
Cleveland, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 26, 2010
4:13 AM

Post #7656970

Yes Free I have got to get out of this city.I`ll keep everyone posted as to progress etc.The lay of the land will I`m sure alter my plans so I`ll just adapt to it.-- I still will go with the 20*40' foot shipping containers.Break out the acetylene torch and lincoln arc welder and modify it, the things are sound. And water proof.Its my dream and I`m stickin`to it!
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

March 26, 2010
4:58 AM

Post #7657033

I think using the shipping containers is a great idea. I've seen lots of great ideas on the universities Solar Decathalons and online.
EastOfMidnite
Cleveland, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 26, 2010
5:05 AM

Post #7657044

I believe so myself,inexpensive, portable.solid as sears. When Katrina wiped out that one town the only home left standing and livable was one fashioned from a shipping container.FEMA approved also i think.
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

March 26, 2010
5:22 AM

Post #7657095

Suppose to hold up well in tornados, too. The rolling hills of your part of Mo are also a pretty good deterrent. :)
EastOfMidnite
Cleveland, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 26, 2010
5:31 AM

Post #7657131

Righto there Robin,...I figure i`m 49 yrs. old and put this thing together I wont have to build again. and if i move i have a ready made moving van with no unpacking.
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

March 26, 2010
5:43 AM

Post #7657168

You're doing this at the right time, too. I've really "slowed" down in recent years. It was funny, back when I use to be able to run circles around a friend that was only 3-4 years older. Now I understand.
EastOfMidnite
Cleveland, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 26, 2010
5:59 AM

Post #7657194

Robin I worked hard all my life/Union Gandy Dancer.And general Union Labor. Got my retirement--.so some young buck can have a decent wage 4 his family-he can have my job i got my dough.only moved to Cleveland because of the rail road.From the appalacian mts.of maryland origanaly'.Hunting morels castrating hogs and angus,baled hay 4 like 6 cents a bale.bagged potato`s by hand sun up to sundown.I know work.I still work these city slickers harder than a rented mule!
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

March 26, 2010
6:23 AM

Post #7657255

Yeah, but age has a way of creeping up on you unnoticed, It's like a dripping faucet that starts when you're in the early 50's...

Well, you definitely have the experience and a strong back. Going to fun watching as you progress.
Jayryunen
Sapello, NM
(Zone 5b)

March 26, 2010
9:35 AM

Post #7657730

msrobin wrote:Yeah, but age has a way of creeping up on you unnoticed, It's like a dripping faucet that starts when you're in the early 50's...

Like Chinese water torture... in reverse, I think. Seems like I lose a little umphf every week.

I'm wanting to build a shipping container into my barn when I start with that... rodent proof in a big way. =0) How are you planning on insulating it, East? Are you going to frame up walls inside or ?? I'd like to make mine a comfortable tack/ work shop, but I don't weld. They didn't teach girls that kinda stuff when I was in high school... and now I don't think they teach anyone anything much useful. Used to be shop and home ec, now it's just 'no child left behind'... {{rolling eyes}}

Jay
EastOfMidnite
Cleveland, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 26, 2010
11:02 AM

Post #7657890

Jay there is a spay on application that is applied -----same stuff used on the space shuttles -extremly thin great stuff,Ihad seen it applied to a container home in Florida on u-tube -dont recall the name, sorry, LQQK-OUT-4-IT.If you find the name give me a holler.
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

March 26, 2010
11:29 AM

Post #7657939

When I worked in the tool rooms on construction sites, they were just insulated with 2" thick slabs of styrofoam insulation. Seems they used washers and screws to secure it.
Jayryunen
Sapello, NM
(Zone 5b)

March 26, 2010
11:57 AM

Post #7657992

I wonder if its the same stuff they're spraying on adobe homes out here these days... spray inside or outside?
EastOfMidnite
Cleveland, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 26, 2010
5:27 PM

Post #7658544

They applied externaly believe it or not!
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

March 26, 2010
5:42 PM

Post #7658611

That would make it look like stucco, right? That would be pretty cool looking!
EastOfMidnite
Cleveland, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 26, 2010
5:56 PM

Post #7658707

Sort of yes,seems this builder only works with these containers.I personaly love the simplicity of them.And their just waiting to be put back in use.
EastOfMidnite
Cleveland, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 26, 2010
7:18 PM

Post #7658895

EastOfMidnite wrote:Sort of yes,seems this builder only works with these containers.I personaly love the simplicity of them.And their just waiting to be put back in use.

Remember to live each day as if it were your last! For one day you`ll be right!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Jayryunen
Sapello, NM
(Zone 5b)

March 26, 2010
8:03 PM

Post #7659010

It's nice to be right every now and then, isn't it? =0)

Actually, the spray on stuff is then covered with stucco, otherwise it looks like sprayed on foam stuff, kinda cheddar cheesy, if it's the same as they use here.
EastOfMidnite
Cleveland, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 26, 2010
8:35 PM

Post #7659106

Or covered with drivet. It`s a local#5 thing,trowell trades
secretlove2005
Brooklyn, NY

March 29, 2010
3:45 PM

Post #7665092

i just recently watch a show on green living and they build an addition ont there house using hay bales they stacked them up and then used a flat metal anchor to tie them together they just looped the metal strip under the btm and over the top then clamped them together, they toppped them off with wood to help support the roof the hay created its own insulation kinda like a sod house, then they added plaster to the hay, used a chainsaw to make notches in the hay where need be it turned out great
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

March 29, 2010
4:50 PM

Post #7665305

There's definitely lots of great ideas out there for low cost building ideas.
EastOfMidnite
Cleveland, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 29, 2010
4:54 PM

Post #7665317

Yes, cord wood seems to be a solution.Before a minimal of clearing. I dread over-kill Will slill go with the containers, But must open an adequate lane.

This message was edited Mar 29, 2010 8:57 PM
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

March 29, 2010
4:58 PM

Post #7665324

A few years ago, there were several tv shows on cordword homes. Sure don't hear much about them anymore. But they are actually quite attractive looking. Hope you are going to post pics on your progress.
EastOfMidnite
Cleveland, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 29, 2010
5:28 PM

Post #7665422

Robin I`m not coming back to this cess pool.
EastOfMidnite
Cleveland, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 29, 2010
5:34 PM

Post #7665444

But I assure ytou I will post pictures//////////////////////////////// Just 4 yer self

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 29, 2010
5:46 PM

Post #7665477

East

I hear ya on that, we moved up here 5 years ago because DH job back in KY went to Mexico, didn't realize how much more it cost to live up here then back home... now that job laid him off last June and we are hanging on my our finger nails... will most likely loose this house and end up going back to KY and live with his family until I can get a job and he gets on medicare, since disability won't accept him even though his health condition is listed on their web site as a qualifying disability.

We have 5 acres back home but there are strict building codes and besides we are using up all of our savings just to hang on here... which is probably stupid... We already had the mortgage redone after he lost his job, but it really isn't helping much.

So what made you pick MO?

Janet
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

March 29, 2010
5:55 PM

Post #7665493

Janet, I know of several people who have gotten one of those rent-to-own ready made sheds and made cute little cabins out of them. You could also find a cheap camper to live in temporarily until you got some money saved up. It's not ideal, but I know a lot of people who live in them full time on the road. Add a simple homemade septic tank and collect rain water for the basic washing up stuff. It's do-able, as a temporary solution.
EastOfMidnite
Cleveland, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 29, 2010
6:07 PM

Post #7665519

Do not fret hang on a bit longer,For good people are coming!
EastOfMidnite
Cleveland, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 29, 2010
6:09 PM

Post #7665526

YOU HELP I HELP quite simple you take you go you help you stay!
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

March 29, 2010
6:11 PM

Post #7665534

What????? You lost me...
EastOfMidnite
Cleveland, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 29, 2010
6:18 PM

Post #7665558

Robin i swear Sam Drucker made me do it. Any way hello.OH MY LQQK@HER

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

March 29, 2010
6:52 PM

Post #7665638

I looked into bringing in a shipping container for a shop. Place 20 miles from here sells them. A bit pricey, but to deliver it just 20 or so miles was astronomical, and that didn't include figuring how to get it across the creek, nor the foundation platform. I can do stick-built much cheaper.

Every state has a state building code; they are all based on one of 3 national model building codes, and each state can alter the standards although few do. Then each county can add their own to the state code, likewise the incorporated cities. Don't be fooled that deep rural can get overlooked. I anticipate permits and inspections will get much tougher with the fiasco in the housing market and so many living now in make-shift shelters. (and the municipalities need the revenue)

The problem lies more with the inspectors than with the codes. Most of them MUST go by the book because they don't have engineering education beyond the book. If they believe you know what you are doing, they can cut you a lot of slack. I've even had footers "inspected" over the phone!

Cheap advice: get a used copy of Architectural Graphic Standards (NOT cheap), and learn how to read and understand the info for sizing beams/posts/spans/rafters relative to the wood species you use... learn stuff like live loads, deflection (where modulus of elasticity determines length between supports), bending (where fiber stress is the determining factor) ... and lots more. If you can't do that, at least buy a copy of the closest city/county code. Make friends with the building dept in the closest town, and ask for advice... they love it when you go in all friendly-like...

All codes now call for all lumber in habitable units to be brand-new, and stamped by the mill as to what strength it is tested for (or will withstand), which means technically you cannot use raw, local cut and milled lumber. Even logs must meet certain criteria. But usually if you can demonstrate you are using (for example) southern pine in a certain size which allows you to span twice what a hem-fir member of the same size would span... it increases your credibility and stamp of approval.

There's a minimum square footage, and a few other minimum requirements, too. Square footage minimum used to be pretty tiny; I don't build anymore and haven't kept up with code changes. Ceilings need to have an overall average height of 7'; 2 means in ingress and egress and a minimum size window in each bedroom in case of fire.

Also, find a copy of Edward Mazria's book, Passive Solar Energy Book... the Professional edition, which is out of print. Make it your energy bible even if you are planning active solar for electricity. It will pay for itself a hundred times over, and it starts with simple site planning...

Lastly, Good Luck!
EastOfMidnite
Cleveland, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 29, 2010
7:09 PM

Post #7665672

Thank you very much Darius, Seem`s I must go post and beam.Even for temporary cordwwod bldg..Cordwood infill. Well Iwill give what need be got.STill going with container house next spring,nothing wrong with schmoozin a local inspecter this year. feel them out so to speak.Betcha his/her child may need a summer job,hehehe pays cash! we shall see, thank you so much darius, please keep me posted Slan, Brian
Jayryunen
Sapello, NM
(Zone 5b)

March 30, 2010
4:04 PM

Post #7667912

Often if they've never seen a particular style of building (and I'm thinking of the container here) they'll get huffy and stiff on you, even if it's technically legal. But if you begin by having your educational info ready, show them how its met other codes elsewhere, take the time to educate respectfully, many of those inspectors will come on board... they've just got to get over their inertia, and they've got to protect their job, which I think we can all appreciate these days.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

March 30, 2010
4:20 PM

Post #7667955

Hey Brian... here's a temp. privy for ya to build!

(photo is from fishermansdaughter's photostream http://www.flickr.com/photos/fishermansdaughter/2950300592/)

Thumbnail by darius
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Jayryunen
Sapello, NM
(Zone 5b)

March 30, 2010
5:51 PM

Post #7668106

LMAO... Tp right to hand, too!
freedom_sailer
Vernon, AL

March 30, 2010
8:37 PM

Post #7668498

LOL sooooooo true .. hehee
EastOfMidnite
Cleveland, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 31, 2010
1:18 PM

Post #7669940

Looks as if that out-house could double as an bomb shelter
secretlove2005
Brooklyn, NY

March 31, 2010
8:02 PM

Post #7670863

Just a hint of advice in ky its easier to get on disability if u take any type of depression medicine then it is if u break ur back mother tried for 3 yrs the instant they put her on depression medicine she was accepted
Hineni
Paris, TN
(Zone 6b)

March 31, 2010
10:53 PM

Post #7671205

Welcome to the Homesteading forum EOM. Sounds like your plans are quite well underway! I considered MO when I was shopping around; it was inexpensive when I started looking a few years ago, but in the end TN won out for me (plus it's close to my best bud MsRobin and her hubby and their extensive knowledge!) We planned to self-build, looked into shipping containers as well; moving them was the largest expense. Then my husband died, so...I had to go with something already built as I have -zero- building skills (unless passing tools counts!) I've only been here three months and still haven't figured out all the repairs needed, or even where my property lines are as I ran out of cash and 650 for a survey seemed ridiculous at the time. I had grandiose plans of what all I was going to do, but thankfully I took a reality pill and now have more modest ambitions (ya'll remind me of that when I am chomping at the bit to take on yet some other wild-eyed idea, 'k?) So right now I am just moseying around and getting a feel for the place. I've mastered very small skills like building a decent fire - and was able to keep nicely warm when money ran out to buy propane. I have SO much to learn, making the transition from girly-girl in the corporate world six years ago to a muck-boot wearin', tool-carrying homesteader reads easy in MEN and Countryside and the like, but it isn't. Working 12 hour night shifts also puts a damper on my get-up-and-go, time and energy-wise. Plus, I'm a scaredy-cat...LOL! Sounds like you have all the skills and the funds, so BEST WISHES!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Keep us apprised of your progress, as we love sharing each others dreams and encouraging each other. I just hate being on the computer these days when I'm not working, so I don't post as much as I used to.

Here's my li'l homestead, Sunflower Solace Farm, after our small 'snowstorm' in January.

Thumbnail by Hineni

freedom_sailer
Vernon, AL

April 1, 2010
6:40 AM

Post #7671537

Heneni,
beautiful house there. im sorry for your loss also. ya know all it takes is the will an ambition to do or try something new. best wishes in your endevors an dont laugh at my spellin im dislexic. LOL but sounds like u got ur ducks in a row so to speak also. little by little .. step by step... no one came out running .. you have to crawl before you can walk ...
EastOfMidnite
Cleveland, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 1, 2010
7:37 AM

Post #7671685

Henini sorry to learn of your soulmates passsing.I know the feeling,but we must press forward. Nice home,the snow well lets just pre-censor that sentence.hehehehehe
Jayryunen
Sapello, NM
(Zone 5b)

April 1, 2010
9:29 AM

Post #7671989

Hey, Hi, glad to hear you're getting settled in, but you know this is really the wrong bunch to help with restraint! I mean, on the one hand you've got Robin, who is starting a CSA single handed, and East, whose hackin' a 'stead outa raw forest so he can get a garden in in a couple a months, and Free who just bounces from project to project as the mood and weather suits him, and Sue who has kids, 'stead, and more ideas than hairs on her head, a cop with short-timers disease, and me, who's kinda followin' in Free's footsteps with ideas, plans and mood. (Sorry if I forgot anyone... rememberin' everyone's projects is a project in itself!) Oh NO, we are not the ones to help you restrain yourself.

We are your ENABLERS! We will give you MORE ideas. We will stand around and admire how deep a hole you've dug yourself into...

Welcome to Homesteaders Anonymous, where we freely, gladly, and joyously proclaim we have no control over much of anything around here... !!!

EastOfMidnite
Cleveland, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 1, 2010
9:52 AM

Post #7672026

Well Jay I couldnt have said it better myself.But your right this place goes off tangent occasionaly.But thats the reason this sites hip.Decent people sound advice along with some" humph" creative humor when neccesary.
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

April 1, 2010
10:18 AM

Post #7672069

ROTFLMAO...well said Jay!

Came in to take a quick break. Good heavens, it's 77 and this is the day I decided to move 3 forsythia bushes. So feel free to laugh, er, I mean admire the three holes I just dug myself into.

Love the way this forum has evolved since I joined DG.
Jayryunen
Sapello, NM
(Zone 5b)

April 1, 2010
11:12 AM

Post #7672185

Oh darn yer ornery hide, Robin! There you go agin... 3 holes. You are such an overachiever, you're going to keep us all worn out just watchin"! Now I feel an obligation to go dig 4 holes... LOL

This is becoming a very fun forum, busy, inventive, and uppity. Oh, I like uppity folks, I do. =0)

I'm just getting potted today...

Thumbnail by Jayryunen

EastOfMidnite
Cleveland, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 1, 2010
11:32 AM

Post #7672217

Evolved,Oh I get it,leave all the creature comforts,sat.dish.tv,dsl,subway,bus,airport,deli`s massive farmers mkt.,crack heads theives,car jackers methheads,wife beaters,pan handlers,corrrupt politicians,taxes out of control,biased newspaper,slow mail,too much snow/cold.Hell why should I leave!
Jayryunen
Sapello, NM
(Zone 5b)

April 1, 2010
12:25 PM

Post #7672317

Oh gosh, East, I guess you haven't met your neighbors yet...

I've got crack heads, meth labs, thieves, wife beaters and the highest property taxes in the state to pay our corrupt local politicians... but because the politicians are friends of mine, the system works for me! LOL

Oh, we are certainly evolved!
EastOfMidnite
Cleveland, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 1, 2010
12:37 PM

Post #7672344

Yo jay I`m re-locating already!If you have i`m in the bag to heck w/ Mo.
freedom_sailer
Vernon, AL

April 1, 2010
12:49 PM

Post #7672363

LOL tooooo funny n im keepin my mouth shut ... hehee

runs out to dig 5 holes .. just cause i can with out breaking some restriction or ordance .. :-P~~~~~~
EastOfMidnite
Cleveland, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 1, 2010
12:51 PM

Post #7672365

Alpha Gamma Rho=Alan grab a hoe
Jayryunen
Sapello, NM
(Zone 5b)

April 1, 2010
1:36 PM

Post #7672459

I'm headin' for pilin' it higher n deeper...
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

April 1, 2010
1:46 PM

Post #7672483

Don't know what ya'll are on, but I want some.

Evolved as in not so serious. 8D

The 3 holes were not an attempt to out do everyone. I was merely fixing a mistake I made 2 years ago when I planted 3 little bitty forsythia bushes in a 2' wide flower bed. Forgot that they grow into nice big bushes.

It just hit 90* on my hilltop.
Jayryunen
Sapello, NM
(Zone 5b)

April 1, 2010
1:53 PM

Post #7672498

I'm wilting for you...
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

April 1, 2010
1:57 PM

Post #7672506

No need, I already have. But I'm still getting lots done. ;)
Hineni
Paris, TN
(Zone 6b)

April 1, 2010
1:59 PM

Post #7672507

We've jumped straight from winter to summer! The Pyrs are loving having a basement at the moment, and I think I will too this summer :) It's 60 down there and 88 outside, with a comfortable 72 on the main floor. Nice change!

Jayryunen
Sapello, NM
(Zone 5b)

April 1, 2010
2:00 PM

Post #7672511

LOL

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Homesteading Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Share your homesteading experiences and dreams. PeggieK 246 Jul 4, 2012 8:18 PM
Ways to "Live off the land", share your ideas PeggieK 149 Mar 25, 2010 10:10 AM
Looking for possible partners in a homestead darius 71 Mar 24, 2012 3:49 PM
Explain makshi 49 Aug 6, 2008 2:36 PM
Ducks vs. Chickens nivlac 85 Apr 23, 2013 6:45 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America