Virginia BlueBells - Mertensia virginica

North Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

I just want to share my excitement this morning. This spring I purchased some bare root Virgina BlueBells from an online vendor. They arrived, quite small but I could see little eyes on the small roots. I had a good bed already prepared and got them in ground within an hour of their arrival. I was so pleased when little leaves began showing. Woohoo, someday I'm going to have Virginia BlueBells. Never did I expect to see a bloom from any of these tiny roots this year. Imagine my surprise while walking the garden this morning, to see tiny, tiny flower buds emerging from the few tiny leaves of one tiny plant!

I can hardly believe it and am so excited. I've never met a Virginia BlueBell so this will be my first time to see a real live bloom. I don't care if this is the only bloom I get this year; just to get to see one bloom is enough.

Attaching a photo of this little tiny plant, taken a few days ago. You can tell how tiny it is compared to the leaf mulch around it. It is now growing flower buds! :-)

Mary

Thumbnail by maryleek
Lakeland / Memphis, TN(Zone 7a)

Way to go, Mary ! It always scares me to receive bare root anything. I usually forget about it and never see it again :-(

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

I got some virginia bluebells too. although they never seem to spread for me, I wish they did, their such a pretty flower.

I love them

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Congratulations Mary!!!! Isn't it exciting to have something new to you actually bloom!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.