Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Mid-South Gardening: Virginia BlueBells - Mertensia virginica

Communities > Forums > Mid-South Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Mid-South GardeningReplies: 3, Views: 32
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
maryleek
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 24, 2010
8:20 AM

Post #7652458

I just want to share my excitement this morning. This spring I purchased some bare root Virgina BlueBells from an online vendor. They arrived, quite small but I could see little eyes on the small roots. I had a good bed already prepared and got them in ground within an hour of their arrival. I was so pleased when little leaves began showing. Woohoo, someday I'm going to have Virginia BlueBells. Never did I expect to see a bloom from any of these tiny roots this year. Imagine my surprise while walking the garden this morning, to see tiny, tiny flower buds emerging from the few tiny leaves of one tiny plant!

I can hardly believe it and am so excited. I've never met a Virginia BlueBell so this will be my first time to see a real live bloom. I don't care if this is the only bloom I get this year; just to get to see one bloom is enough.

Attaching a photo of this little tiny plant, taken a few days ago. You can tell how tiny it is compared to the leaf mulch around it. It is now growing flower buds! :-)

Mary

Thumbnail by maryleek
Click the image for an enlarged view.

n2birds
Lakeland / Memphis, TN
(Zone 7a)

March 24, 2010
10:38 AM

Post #7652697

Way to go, Mary ! It always scares me to receive bare root anything. I usually forget about it and never see it again :-(
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 24, 2010
3:55 PM

Post #7653348

I got some virginia bluebells too. although they never seem to spread for me, I wish they did, their such a pretty flower.

I love them

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 25, 2010
6:23 AM

Post #7654559

Congratulations Mary!!!! Isn't it exciting to have something new to you actually bloom!!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Mid-South Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Mid-South Gardening forum! Terry 72 Jun 19, 2008 8:48 PM
Why Do Folks Love Living in the South? FlowrLady 174 Jan 21, 2008 1:12 AM
Look at my daffodils! chicochi3 37 Nov 6, 2007 4:00 PM
New to this forum corgimom 40 Jul 22, 2010 11:22 AM
Help!! My Hibiscus is ?????????? elamap 2 May 3, 2007 4:59 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America