Photo by Melody

Plant Identification: SOLVED: Does anyone know what this is? I know it's a basic one

Communities > Forums > Plant Identification
bookmark
Forum: Plant IdentificationReplies: 9, Views: 151
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Morph
Dayton, OH
(Zone 5a)

September 29, 2001
10:31 PM

Post #14680

I'm truly a beginner. Does anyone know what kind of flower these are? I am gathering seeds, but don't know type of annual this is. Thank you!

Thumbnail by Morph
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Baa

September 29, 2001
10:34 PM

Post #136625

Petunia

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

September 29, 2001
11:49 PM

Post #136654

...and a lovely petunia it is!
Morph
Dayton, OH
(Zone 5a)

September 30, 2001
12:30 AM

Post #136664

Thank on both accounts ~ I'm collecting seeds & they are so tiny. It's amazing that such beauty can start with such a small seed! Appreciate the identification :)
Morph
Dayton, OH
(Zone 5a)

October 2, 2001
10:01 PM

Post #138217

Okay, now I'm confused again. The petunia seeds sold at the store are small little beige pellets. The seeds I have been collecting from the flowers in my picture are about the size of poppy seeds & black in color. I'd swear they were poppy seeds if I hadn't collected them myself from the plants. I've been gathering the apparent seeds from multiple pods that have developed on the stems. The pods dry to a yellow/brown color. When I open the pod, its full of what I thought were seeds. Is it possible these are also petunia seeds even though they resemble poppy seeds? These flowers are in a container and not close to anything else except the birch tree behind it. Maybe these flowers aren't petunias? I'm confused :(
Baa

October 2, 2001
10:05 PM

Post #138219

Morph

The seeds at the store are probably coated to aid germination. The coat contains various chemicals so handle them with gloves. Petunia seeds are very tiny.

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

October 2, 2001
10:09 PM

Post #138223

I agree with Baa. Or they may have "pelletized" them to make them easier to handle - the coating is biodegradeable and simply makes the seed large enough to easily handle, breaking down when it is brought into contact with dirt and water. (I'd still wear gloves when handling the store bought seed, though in case it is a chemical coating :)
Morph
Dayton, OH
(Zone 5a)

October 2, 2001
11:47 PM

Post #138264

Thanks for helping me make sense of this ~ I didn't even fathom this as a possibility. I wonder why some seeds would be coated and others left as is.

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

October 3, 2001
4:08 PM

Post #138889

Morph, this is just my guess. So many people are familiar with petunia that even very inexperienced gardeners might take a stab at growing it from seed. Unfortunately most beginning gardeners aren't going to be as curious, observant or dexterous as you seem to be - opening a seed packet to discover a tiny amount of microscopic seed could be very confusing and disheartening for a beginner. If it's difficult to germinate in its natural state, that will add to the frustration.

Case in point: I specifically chose flowers with large seeds for my 6 year old daughter to grow in "her" garden this year, so she could easily handle them and they could be directly sowed. As she gets older, I'll expose her to other flower seeds that may need to be started indoors, or handled more carefully.

Just a hunch...happy gardening!
Morph
Dayton, OH
(Zone 5a)

October 4, 2001
12:17 AM

Post #139214

Ahhhh ~ I see more clearly now... You make it sound so simple & obvious :) I'm just the curious sort so your insight is greatly appreciated! Thanks for taking the time to explain this to me. It will help as my son also becomes more interested in my new hobby. Have a lovely and enjoyable October...

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Plant Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Help with identification of this shrub dave 86 Nov 11, 2013 6:20 PM
SOLVED: Can Anyone Help Gayl 8 Jul 2, 2010 2:47 PM
SOLVED: help identify herb seeds????? dignbloom 6 Nov 4, 2010 8:08 PM
SOLVED: Mystery perennial dave 19 May 28, 2010 1:24 PM
SOLVED: Name my aloe??? tom1953 21 Jul 15, 2012 1:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America