Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Winter Sowing: What's not sprouting?

Communities > Forums > Winter Sowing
bookmark
Forum: Winter SowingReplies: 49, Views: 370
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Pippi21
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 6b)

March 25, 2010
4:23 AM

Post #7654328

I'm going to turn the tables with this question. Here's what hasn't sprouted for me so far.

Planted Jan. 10th. Drummond Phlox, Balloon Flower, mexican hat, Heuchera, Mystic Merlin (All planted in coffee cups, inside Clear, Sterlite container

Planted Jan. 27th. 3 containers of scabiosa, Pink coneflower

Planted Jan. 29 Indian Summer Rudbeckia. This was planted inside qt. milk jug

Planted Feb. 14.. Purple coneflower, 2 types of coreopsis, pink malva, Sweet William and Summer pastels yarrow (These were planted in coffee cups, inside clear, Sterlite container

Planted March 1 Pink columbine, blue columbine, Baby Blue Eyes, Rudbeckia Hirta (Planted inside coffee cups)

Planted March 3rd. "Mission Bells" california poppy, dwarf candytuft(mixed colors) These were planted in coffee cups inside Sterlite container..Now some inside ths Sterlite container have germinated of these varieties but not all

Planted March 5th. Foxglove planted inside Red, cold cup

Would you believe he portulaca that I planted in the old birdbath that has no drainage holes, and the Press and seal covering came off in the wind..These are exposed now to the weather The portulaca was planted on March 10th.

Is it too early for some of these to have germinated?

No planting in styrofoam coffee cups next year..some did dry out and I had to water them, several times..may be the reason.
Ielements, still uncovered and are germinated. Really don't expect these to survivve because of no drainage holes. Don't know what I was thinking when I planted them in that bird bath.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

March 25, 2010
8:43 AM

Post #7654850

Pippi21,
I'd suggest going with the tried-and-true one-gallon milk jugs. Kqcrna, the WSing guru to many of us beginners this past winter, advised us early on of the many, many, many types of WSing vessels she had used over the last 5 years. Milk jugs, hands down...

Her other alternative, that might suit you is to go ahead and sow your seeds only halfway in the 16 oz. Red Solo cups and then sit them inside a large, clear, Sterilite tub with a clear lid, and drainage holes in the lid and the bottom. As the seedlings start growing taller, add more potting mix to the cup (for those that grow roots along the stems, like tomatoes...)

This worked very well in protecting my tomato seedlings once they germinated and I potted them up into the cups. It was still too cold for plant out, but they needed protection from the cold winds and they needed light. Clear tubs!

Here's a pic of my WSing jugs that I sowed the 1st two weekends in January.

Thumbnail by Gymgirl
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

March 25, 2010
8:49 AM

Post #7654868

Here's a pic of Kqcrna's tubs...
Just make sure you drill drainage holes in the bottom of the cups as well as the lid and bottom of the tub.

Keep me posted on your success!

Godspeed and Good Harvest!

Linda

Thumbnail by Gymgirl

realbirdlady
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

March 25, 2010
9:06 AM

Post #7654905

Lol My what orderly rows you have!

Pippi21, some of the wildflowers you mention (phlox, mexican hat, coneflower) are just now getting going good down here. So I'd guess it is too early for up there. If you absolutely can't stand not knowing, you can dig one up. (Carefully!) They may have started germinating, but are just going real slow because of the recent cold.
Pippi21
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 6b)

March 25, 2010
9:39 AM

Post #7654982

I'm determined to be more patient. Maybe with the rain we had on Monday and it is overcast today but 63 degrees but doesn't feel like it because sun in not out. I think it is supposed to be in 50 and high 40's rest of week. Maybe a few days of warmer weather will spur them on. I went to a top quality nursery today and findally found the vermitculite that I've been looking for. It was so tempting to buy some Spring/summer bulbs, more flower seeds and a lot of other stuff I could use, like the stuff to make sure your hydrangea blooms are blue or pink. I've been wanting that for years. Pansies kept calling my name but I resisted. Can't believe I resisted. If I worked in a garden shop or nursery, I'd never take a pay check home! Flowers are a weakness for me.
birder17
Jackson, MO
(Zone 6b)

March 25, 2010
4:04 PM

Post #7655731

Pippi: yes, flowers are a weakness for me also. I purchased pansies about two weeks ago. They're in the ground and blooming along with my daffodils and later my tulips. I am very glad I purchased them. I really like pansies. Starting them from seed just seems over whelming. I see some people do it. By the time they would be big enough to plant outside, the weather would be too hot.
I have certain flowers I intend to buy at the garden center. However, I am taking my daughter with me to tell me "Not so many"!! :)
kqcrna
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 25, 2010
4:24 PM

Post #7655775

Folks are going to think Gymgirl is on my payroll for PR or something. ;-)

Pippi, it's most likely just too early for some of those seeds to sprout. I sowed a jug of coneflowers, too, and they haven't sprouted yet either. Coneflowers are always late for me.

Karen
Pippi21
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 6b)

March 25, 2010
6:37 PM

Post #7656140

Karen, that makes me feel more confident that it wasn't something that I did wrong.
tggfisk
Garner, NC
(Zone 7b)

March 26, 2010
3:27 AM

Post #7656902

Pippi, some of the ones you listed-as Karen said-are ones that take a while to germinate. Columbines usually take more than a month for me. Other things may hang around and wait for the weather to warm a bit.
Of course, then there are things that might not germinate...we all have a 'dud' here and there, but then there are the big surprises, too. I had caesalpinia...old seed at that...germinate. I sowed it in a soda bottle way back in December. Audible gasp when I saw it up toward the beginning of this month.
obliqua
Pittsburgh, PA

April 7, 2010
7:58 AM

Post #7686427

This was my first year trying WS, I only planted 5 jugs and everything germinated... I was surprised and delighted!

Judy
pgt
Chalfont, PA
(Zone 6b)

April 7, 2010
11:25 AM

Post #7686942

Pippi, I agree with tggfisk. Columbines take a long time to germinate. My columbines and foxglove are just starting to sprout, where almost everything else that I wintersowed germinated at least a month ago. Hang in there, they could still germinate.

tcs1366

tcs1366
Leesburg, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 7, 2010
5:13 PM

Post #7687714

the one year i did Columbine, they did not germinate until JUNE. they were probably sown in Feb, if not Jan. I was told not to pitch them as they can take a LONG time.
birder17
Jackson, MO
(Zone 6b)

April 7, 2010
8:42 PM

Post #7688301

I W S Columbine 'barlow' last year. It was quite late when they sprouted. I planted them in the fall. They have all returned this spring and I am hoping they will bloom this spring. It was a mix of colors so it will be fun to see what colors show up.

tcs1366

tcs1366
Leesburg, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 7, 2010
8:59 PM

Post #7688346

mine were sown in 08, planted in sept/oct of 08, and i've only seen 1 bloom. I think i planted about 8 chia/clumps... i'd better see more blooms this year.
tabasco
Cincinnati (Anderson, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 20, 2010
4:37 AM

Post #7720308

Thanks for the reassurances about the aquilegia germination.

I have been obsessing over mine for the past couple of weeks thinking they were a bust. I was especially bummed because I bought about 12 varieties of seed from Touchwood Gardens in England which is the 'National Plant Collection' of Aquilegia and so I had great fantasies about them! (-:

Here is the Touchwood Gdns. website (that seduced me into over-buying columbine seed): http://www.touchwoodplants.co.uk/aquilegiaseed.htm

Others slow to germinate for me this year: a few of the kinds of Rudbeckia, Echinacea, and Asclepias but I think they just are being pokey.

I planted in large/wide styrofoam cups placed in the Rubbermaid bins (with drain and circulation holes) and that seems to work for me. I don't have them in full sun, though, to keep them from drying out so quickly. t.
kqcrna
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 20, 2010
4:57 AM

Post #7720352

This is probably my last year of columbines, at least for a while. Sawfly larvae nearly killed all of my established ones last year, and I found them eating the plants again a few days ago. Those plants might well be compost food soon. I'll just replace them with something else I guess.

I think the trick to the best germination on these is to sow fresh--REALLY fresh- seeds. When they just drop from a plant, they sprout like weeds.

Karen

tcs1366

tcs1366
Leesburg, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 20, 2010
5:37 AM

Post #7720438

T -- my milkweeds just germinated... so hang in there.
hanseycollie
Cynthia (N. Kansas C, MO
(Zone 5b)

April 20, 2010
6:44 AM

Post #7720624

I'm in Zone 5 and some of my echies still haven't sprouted - columbines, no - very frustrating. Does staring at them every day help? LOL!

tcs1366

tcs1366
Leesburg, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 20, 2010
7:08 AM

Post #7720664

None of my Asters have germinated.

I'm not too concerned, yet.

I should probably go thru my spreadsheet to see what's still not coming up.
LynnPhillips
Buckley, WA
(Zone 7b)

April 20, 2010
10:44 AM

Post #7721189

The only echi that has germinated for me is Magnus from klstuart and a purple from Herbspirit.

All of my columbines germinated except for the Chocolate Soldier that I purchased from Summerhill Seeds.

China Asters from Star and BSGardens - germinated, rest are still waiting to spring out of their shells.

Not a peep from the Daturas or Hibiscus, Easter Lily Vine, or Begonia, some grasses.

But overall, I am having good germination. YEAH!!!
hanseycollie
Cynthia (N. Kansas C, MO
(Zone 5b)

April 20, 2010
3:06 PM

Post #7721886

I assume it's too early to be bummed out on those that haven't sprouted yet?

Thumbnail by hanseycollie

LynnPhillips
Buckley, WA
(Zone 7b)

April 20, 2010
8:06 PM

Post #7722719

I haven't given up yet. I looked today, and found 2 little baby Datura's. Anyway, something is green in there. Somehow, some of my seeds seem to stray into another pot. I have pot hoppers.

tcs1366

tcs1366
Leesburg, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 21, 2010
5:36 AM

Post #7723506

I think i have a few pot hoppers too.

for one, i sown 4 hardy hibiscus seeds.. one germinated within a few days... but it's read like a Amaranthus... .so i'm thinking somehow, one jumped in there.

I think the only thing i have given up on are the Cup Plant... this will be the 4th yr in a row with zip on the germination.

but -- i have sooo much that has germinated, i'm really fine with what i have... which is more than i know what to do with.
LynnPhillips
Buckley, WA
(Zone 7b)

April 21, 2010
9:52 AM

Post #7724204

Are you talking about wine cups? I have one seedling, but it may be a hopper. I find a stray poppy here and there. I also accidentally double planted some of LeBug's asclepias in with daylilies.

I hope your columbines blooms this year.

tcs1366

tcs1366
Leesburg, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 21, 2010
10:25 AM

Post #7724290

Lynn -- a "Cup Plant" is a native plant in IL... i'm sure in other places too.

http://www.illinoiswildflowers.info/prairie/plantx/cupplantx.htm

they are so pretty. but i just cant grow them. I've had a few peeps offer me plants...
should jsut take them up on it.
birder17
Jackson, MO
(Zone 6b)

April 23, 2010
6:01 PM

Post #7731177

I only had about 5 sweet pea seeds sprout. THis is the first year they have not sprouted. I ordered from Diane's Seeds and have ordered from Select Seeds in the past. Does anyone have any experience with the sweet peas from Diane's Seeds this year?
I transplanted 99 Columbine 'McKenna Giants' this past week. I think every seed sprouted! I have trouble throwing plants away. I don't know what I am going to do with them.
hanseycollie
Cynthia (N. Kansas C, MO
(Zone 5b)

April 24, 2010
12:20 PM

Post #7733155

Birder, send them to me, LOL, as I did the same with the McKenna Giants and nada, nothing much has sprouted. Some jugs are just barren w/o any sprouts at all (in fact, most of the McKenna Giants are bare.) Very discouraging. My best have been lupine, shasta daisies, coneflowers (the seeds from actual plants much more than packaged seeds) and alaska daisies. I have a spreadsheet so I'm going to mark which ones are worth winter sowing again next year and which ones are a bust.

Thumbnail by hanseycollie

tabasco
Cincinnati (Anderson, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 26, 2010
4:12 PM

Post #7739853

Well, hansey, it looks like you've had pretty good germination. I planted about 12 different aquilegias and about half have sprouted, but I think they each have different germination requirements, so I've not given up on them yet. For some stupid reason I forgot to plant the Eastern Red Columbine. I just visited a 'historic' garden with the most elegant circle of them around a faux bois fountain, and I'm sick that I don't have any coming up. Oh, well.

It's nice and cold and wet here now so maybe that will help with some stratification issues with my late-planted perennials. If we have a good warm-up next week, then, I think we'll see some sprouts really popping out.
hanseycollie
Cynthia (N. Kansas C, MO
(Zone 5b)

April 27, 2010
6:28 AM

Post #7741536

Hey, a have a columbine sprouting, wooohoooooo! I can't believe it as we haven't seen the sun in days and days - it's supposed to keep on raining for the next few days too - and a couple little seeds sprouted. That makes me so happy as they will be my first.

Yes, I've had pretty good germination. The chia pet milk jugs are being moved into smaller containers - a little bit each day. Not single plants, just three or four hunks to a few containers. It'll make them easier to visualize when I do my big flower garden.

Today is a good day, yes!
CrabgrassCentrl
New Milford, CT

April 27, 2010
3:09 PM

Post #7743000

McKana Giant columbines, asclepias & shasta daisies are my no-shows so far. Waiting patiently.

OK, not patiently. [taps foot furiously and peeks into the same jug again five minutes after the last time ...]
hanseycollie
Cynthia (N. Kansas C, MO
(Zone 5b)

April 28, 2010
9:36 PM

Post #7747297

Oh my gosh, I have shasta daisies coming out of the woodwork - but only a couple McKana columbines. My poppies didn't make it, though my friend's (same seeds) are popping out of the top of her milkjugs. Say, are red corn poppies annuals or perennials? I have not been able to get a straight answer off the web.
kqcrna
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 29, 2010
2:53 AM

Post #7747469

The red corn poppies are annuals.

Karen
hanseycollie
Cynthia (N. Kansas C, MO
(Zone 5b)

April 30, 2010
11:21 AM

Post #7751486

Good, then I don't feel so bad with so few of them sprouting, LOL! You are a wealth of information - it seems each thread I read you've been on it giving wisdom - do you work at a garden shop or just been doing this for a few years? Cynthia
kqcrna
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

May 1, 2010
6:14 AM

Post #7753726

Cynthia, no real professional experience or education in my past. I have been wintersowing for 5 years though, and have always done a fair amount of gardening since I bought this house in 1983. I'm not an expert at all, just a home gardener.

Karen
hanseycollie
Cynthia (N. Kansas C, MO
(Zone 5b)

May 5, 2010
6:19 AM

Post #7765826

Karen, out of 175 jugs, 30 didn't germinate and some only have a few sprouts. Some that DID germinate are chia pets, though, lol. Is that about a normal percentage? I think the ones that haven't germinated by now are going to be used as potting soil - and if I get an extra flower or two, so be it, LOL!

tcs1366

tcs1366
Leesburg, FL
(Zone 9a)

May 5, 2010
6:36 AM

Post #7765873

[quote]
I think the ones that haven't germinated by now are going to be used as potting soil - and if I get an extra flower or two, so be it, LOL!
[/quote]

that is what i do too.

and it does seem your germination is about right.

i just did a rough count, 130+ containers, 33 no germination.
a few containers i've already re-used and have germination.

I spent the day yesterday weeding some area, and then sprinkling seeds. what comes up, comes up.
kqcrna
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

May 5, 2010
6:59 AM

Post #7765943

It depends on what seeds are in those unsprouted jugs. Some things can take a couple of years. Some seeds need warm-cold-warm to sprout, so those would have to go outside in fall to show up in spring. Some take a couple of years...

Sea holly is one that has a reputation for being hard to germinate. I sowed a jug of them last summer, around July. I just left it sitting around out there all winter, and now there are 4 tiny sprouts. So if you hold on to them, if you can stand the clutter and just throw them somewhere out of the way, they could still show up, if not this year, maybe next. Neal recently reported similar results with something from last year, though I don't remember what.

Karen

tcs1366

tcs1366
Leesburg, FL
(Zone 9a)

May 5, 2010
7:20 AM

Post #7766002

I guess i have a place where i could store some jugs for a year.
some are small nursery pots. maybe i could just leave them in the sterilite container/box.
hanseycollie
Cynthia (N. Kansas C, MO
(Zone 5b)

May 5, 2010
9:38 AM

Post #7766400

I can't do the clutter, lol, as they're along our new fence and driving me nuts. I have sooooo many plants from ws that I think I'll just use it as potting soil for the next batch! I am glad my ratio is good. I never believed it would work for me, and I am so excited for next winter now! I think WS is the most fun ever!!!!!!!!!!!!

tcs1366

tcs1366
Leesburg, FL
(Zone 9a)

May 5, 2010
10:14 AM

Post #7766495

i was just out surveying... found a new baby seedling. yay

**edited to add..

It's Hybrid x Mesa Purple Salvia.

This message was edited May 5, 2010 12:16 PM
pgt
Chalfont, PA
(Zone 6b)

May 6, 2010
3:29 PM

Post #7770179

my hibiscus and trachellium seeds didn't ever sprout. Anybody else try these?

tcs1366

tcs1366
Leesburg, FL
(Zone 9a)

May 6, 2010
4:32 PM

Post #7770355

i had hardy Moy Hibiscus... no germination... and the pot that they were in, a Amaranthus was growing... i planted that today, so all the other soil is gone.
hanseycollie
Cynthia (N. Kansas C, MO
(Zone 5b)

May 6, 2010
4:44 PM

Post #7770409

Zip on hibiscis here too!
CrabgrassCentrl
New Milford, CT

May 7, 2010
5:38 AM

Post #7771563

I've got a few hibiscus out of dozens of seeds, so I'd all it very limited success.

Just put in an "order" to someone coming to a plant swap here in CT next weekend for some Shastas, since I've gotten zip from my WS seeds and I'm not holding my breath.

tcs1366

tcs1366
Leesburg, FL
(Zone 9a)

May 7, 2010
6:19 AM

Post #7771665

I've always had good luck with Shasta Daisies. No idea why I sowed more this year. I already have a bunch of plants. Guess ya just can't toss good seeds.
hanseycollie
Cynthia (N. Kansas C, MO
(Zone 5b)

May 7, 2010
11:41 AM

Post #7772655

Oh my gosh, CrabgrassCentrl, I have Shasta daisies like crazy - they are the one thing that really, really, really germinated!!!! Wish you were closer I'd trade with ya!
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

May 7, 2010
1:55 PM

Post #7772948

One year I had only 1 Shasta Daisy germinate, and the next year I WSd the remaining seed and got several. I have no idea what happened there.

It was a supposed dud jug of Columbine I had WSn last year that waited till this year to germinate- I think there are 3 seedlings in there now. I also had a couple of Wine Cups (Callirhoe) germinate this spring from one of last years containers.

Karen is right about Columbine seed germination being dependent on the age of the seeds. They remain viable, but require more cold stratification and time to germinate as they age. Freshly harvested seeds germinate readily without cold stratification. I think thats mother nature's way of preventing the seed from germinating too late in the season when the tiny seedlings may not survive the winter.

Terese, I recall we had some of the same things that hadn't germinated, one being lavender Salvia coccinea. Did yours sprout? Mine have now germinated beautifully! They just took longer than the other Salvias.

tcs1366

tcs1366
Leesburg, FL
(Zone 9a)

May 7, 2010
7:34 PM

Post #7773907

no Neal... not yet. I'm not giving up YET.

the last of the Salvias to germinate were the hybrid X mesa purple.
I have quite a few others with no germination either.
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

May 8, 2010
3:13 AM

Post #7774459

These just showed up in the last 3 or 4 days, and its been really warm here, so yours will probably be right along. I think both our seeds came from Danita. I've never seen lavender S.coccinea before, can't even find a pic on line of them. Can't wait to see 'em!

None of my perennial Asters have germinated yet either. I think I sowed 3 or 4 types.

Checked the container of Columbine from last year that waited till this year to germinate, and there are 6 seedlings in there now! I'm still kinda amazed by that!

tcs1366

tcs1366
Leesburg, FL
(Zone 9a)

May 8, 2010
4:06 AM

Post #7774497

I didnt do Columbine this year... though i still have seeds. When i was out surveying the yard yesterday, I did notice a 'bud' on one of my Columbine that i planted in 08!! I guess I just dont have patients for plants that take SO LONG to do something .

The Asters jugs I will just stash off somewhere in hopes they will eventually germinate... the way I see it, Asters are like weeds... so i fully expect them to germinate. Just sorry I wont be able to give plants to Maxine next month... I'll just have to mail them off, or wait til next June RU [2011] to give them to her.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Winter Sowing Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Winter Sowing Seed Swap .....part 2 alicewho 213 Mar 23, 2007 1:01 PM
Lessons learned for next year #2 zenpotter 256 Mar 23, 2007 7:56 AM
Milk jugs TurtleChi 99 Mar 19, 2007 12:20 PM
WS Poppies & transplant problems marie_ 100 May 11, 2011 4:44 PM
Database germination info bluespiral 6 Mar 5, 2008 12:23 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America