Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Beekeeping: Bees eating cracked corn - is this OK?

Communities > Forums > Beekeeping
bookmark
Forum: BeekeepingReplies: 10, Views: 85
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
June_Ontario
Rosemont, ON
(Zone 4a)

March 25, 2010
5:32 AM

Post #7654459

The weather was mild yesterday, but it's still very wintery here and other than a few early bulbs (crocus and iris) I have no flowers open. To my surprise, I noticed small brown bees eating the cracked corn on our bird table. The bees seem to be packing the powdery residue from the corn into their leg "pockets" and taking it away as if it were pollen. Is this good for them? I have no idea what kind of corn is supplied for bird food, and for all I know it might be GM, with insecticide in it.

Thumbnail by June_Ontario
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Charlotteda
Pickens, SC
(Zone 7a)

March 25, 2010
7:28 PM

Post #7656335

They are probably looking for pollen. This time of year they will roll in anything that might resemble pollen.
JsHoney
Forestville, NY

March 25, 2010
11:24 PM

Post #7656779

I have to agree with Charlotteda, it either that or they have an identity issues and think they are birds. As far as being good for them, it wont harm them they will take it back to the hive and the bee that are clean up the cells will just throw it out.
June_Ontario
Rosemont, ON
(Zone 4a)

March 26, 2010
5:41 AM

Post #7657159

Thanks for the info. I'm glad to hear that my cracked corn won't be responsible for a hive death! Since the bees are so desperate for food, is there anything useful that I can put on the table for them?
JsHoney
Forestville, NY

March 26, 2010
9:09 AM

Post #7657665

Sugar water mix 1lb water to 2 parts sugar place in a humming bird feeder make sure you remove before the nectar flow. You feed the bees an any humming birds its a win to species.
realbirdlady
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

March 26, 2010
3:35 PM

Post #7658381

Interesting... Is there any feedback? Like, does the bee who cleans up have a little pollen dance for "You idiot, that's not food", or do they both just keep burning energy bringing the corn back and throwing the corn out?
wmgtrading
Boca Raton, FL

March 27, 2010
5:07 AM

Post #7659550

I am trying to find out more about species to grow in desert conditions . We have two species identified which believe will do well tagasaste and neem tree Azadirachta indica and the other a shrub tagasaste Chamaecyticus palmensis( these trees we would like to know how much is the minimum requirement of water for first year growth per plant both for tagasaste and Azadirachta also known as neem). The ground has sandy loom., temperatures are not extreme 400-600 meters above ground sandy soil ph 4-5 very low rain possibly 20- 30 inches per year. We would like to add longer growth trees maybe olea europea ( we would like to know how long before olea blooms or produces fruit) and finally prosopis alba ( we do not know growth rates-will appreciate feedback and if anyone knows if it smells lkie the texas or mexican mesquite) This is a farm near border with Bolivia in Argentina in need of some reforestation. We have also wondered if date palms would grow at such altitudes and bear fruit. Our final question is seeds for the date palms and prosopisalba. I believe that olea are propagated from cuttings and need to find out of possible supplier for this region.
And our big question is will all of the above support BEES?
June_Ontario
Rosemont, ON
(Zone 4a)

March 27, 2010
10:41 AM

Post #7660101

I suspect my plastic hummingbird feeder may not stand up to being frozen (the temperature dropped to 10F last night). What if I put some brown sugar out on the table? Would the bees be able to eat that?
JsHoney
Forestville, NY

March 27, 2010
8:04 PM

Post #7661093

not brown suger use suger cubes.
Charlotteda
Pickens, SC
(Zone 7a)

March 28, 2010
5:00 AM

Post #7661452

Dont feed the bees brown sugar... it is not totally digestible and will give them dysentery. They are looking for pollen and all the sugar water in the world wont take the place of pollen.

If you really wanted to... you could buy a small amt of a dry pollen substitute from a bee supply store and put it in a dry outside place for the bees... but when your natural pollen sources begin they will concentrate on that. Sugar water is fine when temps will allow . Seeing them in the corn doesnt necessarily mean they are hungry... they are just looking for pollen sources to get ready to feed new babies.
June_Ontario
Rosemont, ON
(Zone 4a)

March 28, 2010
5:45 AM

Post #7661509

OK, no sugar then. I'll look for some of that pollen substitute. The weather forecast is for a heatwave to arrive here in a few days time, so the pollen shortage will soon be over, I hope.

Thanks for all your advice.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beekeeping Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
To catch a honey bee... WUVIE 10 Mar 25, 2007 11:18 PM
Dead Bees countryfarms 17 Oct 7, 2010 11:42 AM
New Beekeepers SwarmCatcher 10 Sep 12, 2009 3:51 PM
Bee sting - bee stinger mygardens 27 Nov 12, 2008 4:04 PM
Bees in the ground starlight1153 45 Sep 9, 2009 9:54 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America