Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Heirloom Vegetables: Best Heirloom Watermelon?

Communities > Forums > Heirloom Vegetables
bookmark
Forum: Heirloom VegetablesReplies: 73, Views: 689
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Seedsower
Franklin, WI
(Zone 5a)

March 26, 2010
2:35 AM

Post #7656872

I know this is a vegetable forum, but I'm trying to get opinions on what heirloom watermelon I could grow that would compare to the melons I remember from my youth (1960's)? What they sell today in the stores does not compare. I get a kick out of how I have to pay 2x the price for a seeded watermelon. To me, the seedless ones just don't have much flavor. I would love to try growing something remarkably sweet and tasty here in my zone 5.

Thanks!

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

March 26, 2010
4:43 AM

Post #7657014

http://www.johnnyseeds.com/p-5725-crimson-sweet.aspx
If you are determined to plant heirloom, this one is good.
If you want a superb melon, plant these.
http://www.parkseed.com/gardening/PD/5483/
People at our market ask for them by name. We have been planting & selling these so long I can't remember when we planted them for the first time.
Bernie
Farmerdill
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

March 26, 2010
5:18 AM

Post #7657084

Do you just want an open pollinated melon or a "heirloom". Crimson Sweet is open pollinated and as bernie stated is about as tasty as watermelons get. It is however a modern commercial melon. Its sister line , the Allsweet is also good. Legacy is a more recent release, open pollinated and matches the hybrid Sangria in taste and production. For pre 1960 cultivars, Dixie Queen (1890), ChrisCross, Wilson Sweet.
terri_emory
Alba, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 26, 2010
7:59 AM

Post #7657467

I haven't really stumbled upon the "best" watermelon for me, yet. But I really enjoyed reading the "about us" section at Willhite Seed's website and they do have a nice selection of watermelons. I did order from them this year--some one from this very forum kindly passed a link to their website to me. So here, I am paying the kindness forward: http://www.willhiteseed.com/index.php

Even if you don't order from them I think reading the history and looking at the old photos that go along with the history was fun! And they have been in the watermelon business for a long time, so maybe they have what you are looking for.
matersandwich
Houlka, MS
(Zone 7b)

May 19, 2010
6:31 PM

Post #7808791

Though I have never found a clear answer to the age an heirloom I have only grown Jubilees for years and save my seed. Developed in 1963, for years it was a commercial standard for its ability to ship. Never found another melon to suite my taste any better. Here in the humid south it does very well. I have never had problems with disease. At least not till I said it so this year that may change.lol

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

May 19, 2010
7:33 PM

Post #7809044

We planted a little watermelon called Jenny. I don't know much about it except it was to be 6 to 8 lbs. Looking for something small.
Well the seeds weren't treated, so only about 20 germinated out of 100. Now they are dieing off. Caulk up another one to lousy open pollinated untreated seed.

Sangria are looking real good.
Bernie
terri_emory
Alba, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 20, 2010
6:29 AM

Post #7810029

The watermelon or the drink? =D

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

May 20, 2010
9:37 AM

Post #7810592

?
terri_emory
Alba, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 20, 2010
9:59 AM

Post #7810664

You said Sangria are looking good. I was thinking you might like a cool sip of a good Sangria (the drink) after finding out all those seeds weren't germinating. I would be very aggivated myself. A cool libation might be just the thing!
Farmerdill
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

May 20, 2010
10:41 AM

Post #7810797

Bernie, I am confused. Jenny is a small hybrid, touted as a pollinizer for seedless watermelons. I have tried some others that were promoted as pollinizers but were poor performers. have not tried Jenny. The old open pollinated Mickylee is also used as a pollinizer and field trials indicate that it does the job as well as the modern hybrids. better it does not look like most of the seedless types. Developed in the Florida breeding program as an icebox melon, it is one of the best of that type.

Thumbnail by Farmerdill
Click the image for an enlarged view.

alaska_rick
Juneau, AK
(Zone 5a)

May 22, 2010
10:58 PM

Post #7818809

Would someone here like to try a packet of heirloom watermelon seeds? See the description of the seeds here:
http://rareseeds.com/cart/products/Jubilee_Watermelon-536-66.html

I was given a pack of them by the company when I ordered some Oriental Greens. Unfortunately I live in a climate area that just does not grow watermelons. They were packed for this year and I would not like to see them wasted. It is only one pack.

First come, first served. Just drop me a note.

Rick
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

June 15, 2010
2:12 PM

Post #7891300

Black diamond is the best melon I ever had . My dad used to buy them for me for a quarter. I don't like the green after taste of the melons you get now , and you have to wait for them to get really ripe from the store
tathib
Eunice, LA

July 23, 2010
12:54 PM

Post #7991294

Black diamond is my mom's favorite and very hard to find. If anyone has seeds, I'd love some. It would make her so happy.
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

July 23, 2010
1:18 PM

Post #7991356

How many do you want ? last years ,kept in fridg . should be good next year . D Mail me
cowpea123
Coushatta, LA

September 2, 2010
8:44 AM

Post #8076377

Orangeglo is one of the best watermelons of all time.I have to fight racoons for everyone.
terri_emory
Alba, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 18, 2010
7:19 AM

Post #8162011

I'm bumping this one because this was such a good year for watermelons here in the Texas area. My best producer and best tasting was not an heirloom, but next year I'm planning out a larger area for watermelons (DH has high cholesterol and I just saw a report that watermelons are some of the good things to eat to help reduce cholesterol). I'm going to stick with the hybrid I did well with this year but I want an heirloom to add to the patch next year. I'm leaning towards Jubilee but what other watermelons did you guys grow? Seedsower, what did you end up with?

digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

October 18, 2010
10:41 AM

Post #8162294

Cowpea , I want a few , Make a trade ? When I lived in La , it was mostly Confederate Gray
Terri , I still have a few . No trade necessary .digger
Farmerdill
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

October 18, 2010
11:09 AM

Post #8162353

Technically "heirlooms" should be family melons, that were not released commercially by large breeding programs. There are quite a few of the them out there. On the other there are a large number of open pollinated melons that were developed specifically for the commercial market and which have continued popular over the years. Crimson Sweet and its knockoff AU Producer are among the best. Others include the Georgia Rattlesnake and its newer editions Garrison, Fairfax, and Garrisonian, Black Diamond and its many "improved" editions Verona is the best, altho the Yellow Belly Black Diamond is pretty good. In the 60's the most popular commercial melon was the Charleton Grey, which also has many knockoffs. Congo was its major competitor in the fifties. Jubillee replaced the Congo and had some popularity, before all of them were blown away by the Crimson Sweet. Tom Watson and Kleckly's Sweet while never highly popular have had a cult following over the years. They are old as is the Mountain Sweet and Mountain Hoosier, both of which are superior in my opinion to Tom watson and Kleckly's Sweet. From the 30's into the 90's land grant universities in watermelon producing states developed a lot of commercila varieties. Surpriseingly Kansas State University ( Charles V. Hall) developed the Crimson Sweet and Allsweet (1963) which set the satandard for tasty watermelons. The University of Florida breedin program turned large numbers of commercial melons. Jubillee, Mickylee, Smokylee etc. Clemson in cooperation the USDA also di its fair share ( Charleton Grey) Alabama The Au series ( My favorite AU Sweet Scarlet), Arkansas also did some. (White Hope) The Klondike and Peacock series were developed for California, but I have grown Klondike Striped Blue Ribbon and Striped Peacock here in in Georgia. Both are ok melons.
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

October 18, 2010
11:21 AM

Post #8162373

Farmer , whew , that's a lot of info . Tell me, you mentioned the Black Diamond and the "improved editions " How can one tell the difference ? I hope what I have is the real , old fashioned one I grew up with . It did taste like it .
terri_emory
Alba, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 18, 2010
12:05 PM

Post #8162438

I'll say, what a list! Thank you Farmerdill! I've grown Georgia Rattlesnake. I managed to get one melon before the coyotes and feral hogs moved in and got all the rest. The one I got was pretty good...
Farmerdill
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

October 18, 2010
12:44 PM

Post #8162504

The original Black Diamond is a tricky melon. When it gets size under good conditions, it is quite tasty altho never as sweet as Crimson Sweet. It has a tendency toward white heart when conditions are not favorable. Under stress it seems to have difficulty ripening properly. It does not size down well. Verona and the Yellow Bellied Black Diamond ( aka Superior Black Diamond) are more forgiving. Other variants include Cannonball, Clara Lee, Blacklee, Smokylee, Shipper, Florida Giant, Texas Giant, Blackstone ... Willhite still sells Black Diamond, Yellow Belly Black Diamond, and Verona. Major difference is in performance ( ease of growing). There is also a Yellow Flesh Black Diamond

Thumbnail by Farmerdill

digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

October 18, 2010
12:58 PM

Post #8162526

Nope, if it's yellow , it isn't a watermellon . lol Who is Willhite and wonder if I can get the Crimson Sweet ?I'll try to look them up
terri_emory
Alba, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 18, 2010
1:29 PM

Post #8162591

I got my seeds from Willhite's because they are local for me (Poolville TX). http://www.willhiteseed.com/index.php

They have a good variety of watermelon seeds and the were very helpful when I called to ask a couple of questions. Plus I like their pictures of the development of their operations down through the years. Worth the visit to the site just to read about their history.
Farmerdill
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

October 18, 2010
2:06 PM

Post #8162677

Just for info for Seedsower. Cucurbits ( watermelons, melons squash cucumbers etc) are classified as vegetables. Crimson Sweet is very popular and will be found in most vegetable seed listings. Black Diamond is not hard to find.
cowpea123
Coushatta, LA

October 18, 2010
7:04 PM

Post #8163280

If you grow alot of watermelons and want to save seeds you have to hand pollenate them. It's a very easy thing to do.
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

October 18, 2010
7:51 PM

Post #8163372

Farmerdill , up here , in 20 years , I've only seen Black Diamond twice at the roadside . I bought a packet of them at the feed store and wasted a year . What I got was a little ice box size mellon . It was good , for about five bites . I bought a B D last year and saved the seed . This year no one had them .I asked the owner last year where he got them and he told me he didn't know the guy , he just came by and had a truckload to sell .Looks like I'll have to grow my own and will try that Clemson Sweet. I like a crisp , sweet mellon without that green ,nasty aftertaste you get in the restaurants . Not fully ripe yet. Sure thank you for the info on the different mellons .

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

October 18, 2010
8:47 PM

Post #8163485

digger, if you can find Sangria Hybrid, you will have the best melon you ever ate.
All we have grown for nearly 15 years. People won't buy watermelon from anybody else at our market. They just wait for ours!
We get ours from http://www.jordanseeds.com/ , but smallest amount is 500 seeds.
Farmerdill
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

October 19, 2010
5:46 AM

Post #8163862

Sangria is a very popular hybrid (Allsweet type). (It is widely available Gurneys, Parks, Territorial, Twilley, Rohrer...) An excellent melon, but for me no advantage over the open pollinated Legacy. In fact for general use the hybrids that I have tried have not surpassed thier open pollinated counterparts. More uniform size and shape may be desirable when shipping, but the current market is going to the triploids ( seedless). In my opinion the triploids are still falling short on taste and texture.
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/60014/
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

October 19, 2010
6:42 AM

Post #8163944

My 2c..see pic! The bigun is awesome tasting! Have not tried the lil one yet.

For fun... where were swapping "spit" on mellons... c'mon in!

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1122700/#new

Thumbnail by BLOSSOMBUDDY

terri_emory
Alba, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 19, 2010
7:00 AM

Post #8163985

I had very good luck with Diablo, a hybrid, this year. All the guys at work said it was one of the best tasting watermelons they'd had in a long time. One of the guys told me that he'd actually forgotten what a real watermelon tasted like. Of course they might have been buttering me up as I was giving watermelons away like some people give away zucchini. I only had four vines and the two of us couldn't keep up, some nights we just had watermelon and a salad for supper (not that I'm complaining! =D). I'll certainly grow Diablo again next year, but want to do a couple of other varieties. I was looking at Jubilee on the Willhite's website, now I'll take a look for Legacy and Sangria. I'll try Yellow Doll again next year, the mice or some other small critter got to the Yellow Dolls this past season so I can't really say if it was good, I got one melon and DH like it but I didn't get a taste. Any small melons I grow next year will have to be trellised to try and avoid a repeat. I do have adventures with the wildlife around here! I just had our first siting of feral Emus! I don't even know what they eat...veg, chickens, small dogs?
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

October 19, 2010
7:41 AM

Post #8164095

For the record, the big one was Charlston Grey. Not sure what the lil one was.
Farmerdill
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

October 19, 2010
9:05 AM

Post #8164230

Have been growing watermelons since the late forties. Got a digital camera for the 2005 season, so have photos of most of the melons that I have tried since. http://s294.photobucket.com/albums/mm92/farmerdill/Watermelon/ Personal favorite AU Sweet Scarlet. Worst one the hybrid Matador. I only trial about two hybrids a year, so I am not an expert on them by any means. Most have been good, just not in my opinion, worth the extra cost in seeds. Charlene was the best performing hybrid tried to date.
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

October 19, 2010
9:55 AM

Post #8164303

Blossom , you told me that little one was mine , on that other thread . You gonna pay postage ? I'll just talk to you on that other thread . Humph !
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

October 19, 2010
3:26 PM

Post #8164771

(digger) snickers!!
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

November 10, 2010
5:33 AM

Post #8204261

Wel, we are still "chomping" n the last of the seasons. I have had to give remneants to the chickens.. but still collecting seed.
professorroush
Manhattan, KS

December 13, 2010
12:34 PM

Post #8258041

I had to add a couple of names: Blacktail Mountain (for short-growing seasons) and Mountain Sweet Yellow. The latter is my favorite. Both are available at the Seed Savers exchange.
addicted2plants
Saint Louis, MO
(Zone 6a)

August 25, 2011
6:27 PM

Post #8777020

The watermelon I grew that all my friends and family love was Orangeglo http://rareseeds.com/vegetables-p-z/watermelon/orangeglo-watermelon.html It is just out of this world!

Favorite new melon, not watermelon, was Ineya Melon from former Soviet Union. http://rareseeds.com/review/product/list/id/15293/ Baker Creek says it has "golden rind" and ours was orange when we picked it so I thought it would be overripe. The inside was still nice very nice texture and not mushy. VERY nice taste, sweet, and just wonderful. All the kids voted it their favorite this summer so far...and they are discriminating little buggers with melons LOL This is one worth growing!
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

August 25, 2011
6:36 PM

Post #8777038

I got one black diamond and it isn't as big as a cantaloupe . Nuts

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

August 25, 2011
7:11 PM

Post #8777096

We picked a Super Star muskmelon yesterday that weighed 10 lbs. Lots of them between 6 & 8 lbs.
Sangria watermelon just getting ripe. As always it is superior flavor!
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

August 25, 2011
7:27 PM

Post #8777128

Rub it in . LOL

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

August 26, 2011
5:46 AM

Post #8777630

Isn't Georgia the melon state ? LOL!
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

August 26, 2011
6:09 AM

Post #8777646

Peach state . I don't know , I live here but I'm from Texas .
hydrocharged
Jacksonville, FL

February 11, 2013
11:10 AM

Post #9415524

digger9083 wrote:Peach state . I don't know , I live here but I'm from Texas .

Your right it's the Peach State,I was born and raised Georgia Peach,but have made Florida my home for 3 decades now.

I have some Bakers Seeds seeds.Will plant them this year and let you know how they are.Not sure which watermellon one I got until I go thrrough them.
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

February 11, 2013
4:17 PM

Post #9415902

I ate a coupla local melons this summer and they were superior . Bought them at J mores on hwy 369 .

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

February 19, 2013
2:02 PM

Post #9424604

Love black diamonds- yellow meated one was just as good, but they were buggers at consistency and finicky to grow. Why everyone moved on to the Clemson Sweet. Texas has several areas that grow melons exceptionally well.
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

February 19, 2013
2:24 PM

Post #9424623

When watermelon is here , I have to clean out the bottom of fridg so I can have it ice cold , with another waiting in the wings . I can live on 'em

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

February 19, 2013
2:43 PM

Post #9424643

If it is a good sweetmelon? I dont want it iced- it chills a bit under my truck a/c if purchased from the back of a pickup on the way in, or in the river while we work hayfields/garden and is perfect to me, I am in Springfield, Ill tonite whining after the melons I can only see when I run southwest states. East coast just has no clue abt how good it is to get a cup of fruit for a snack instead of a coke and tater chips...that honeydew I had a few days back was just perfect ripe sweet as if soaking in honey juice, yummm. Gotta watch tho or you'get a cup thats has no flavor green, or is sour as silage. pew.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

February 19, 2013
3:35 PM

Post #9424678

We grow Sangria. We are the spot to shop at our Farmers Market. No watermelons as good as Sangria.
The best way to eat a melon, straight out of the field, in the field. The temperature is just right!

Thumbnail by CountryGardens

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

February 19, 2013
5:00 PM

Post #9424751

Whine. I love fruit...

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

February 19, 2013
6:38 PM

Post #9424841

Moon&stars about seems to be all I can grow , got a couple one a bit bigger than a dinner plate ,Just about an Orangeglo only an animal chewed a whole in it at about twelve pounds.
I love watermelon , worst thing to try and grow in my garden , who knows?
I am trying klondike this year , hope .hoping .

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

February 19, 2013
7:18 PM

Post #9424891

Good luck, juhur. stay warm tonite, this wind has a bite. pic upside totally down.kinda like my day here in Springfield. brr

Thumbnail by kittriana

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

February 19, 2013
8:02 PM

Post #9424931

Question ? if you could be in Texas , What are you doing in Illinois Freezing it off so to say? I was born in Carbondale , not so far from where you are...

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

February 19, 2013
8:26 PM

Post #9424953

My Granpa moved to central MN in 1905. What was he thinking ?

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

February 19, 2013
8:40 PM

Post #9425023

Good hunting
good fishing
10 to 20 year homestead parcel
Pretty scenic views
Nice lumber industry
New property
Inexpensive property
New roads being built
Steel industry
Beer industry
Or I like being an ice cube
I love lots of snow
Good fur trade ??????
decent farming
no regulations
no taxes those were the days

This message was edited Feb 20, 2013 12:43 AM
terri_emory
Alba, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 20, 2013
7:52 AM

Post #9425325

Fresh out of the garden for me. I like my watermelon in the garden if possible. But I need a hose since I am a messy watermelon eater ☺.
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

February 20, 2013
8:24 AM

Post #9425363

Nope , gotta be cold .Frozen balls are soooo good when I come in after a workout in the yard .
nancynursez637
Madras, OR

April 6, 2013
3:46 PM

Post #9473964

my 3 stand bys are crimson sweet, black diamond, sugar baby, and then from time to time, I save seeds from a particularly sweet Hermiston melon. Those are grown in eastern Oregon and are very sweet
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

April 6, 2013
6:09 PM

Post #9474085

I like ANYTHING from Oregon ."bout one of my favorite states .
nancynursez637
Madras, OR

April 7, 2013
7:39 PM

Post #9475297

Black Diamond Watermelon seed:

Ace Hardware carries Livingston seeds and they offer black diamond watermelon
Moodene
(Nadine) Devers, TX
(Zone 9b)

April 8, 2013
12:02 PM

Post #9476159

My daddy has the red meat Black Diamond watermelon seeds that he is planting here at my place..so I have to make a checklist: welded wire..posts to hold up wire..wire cutters..etc neverending story with critters from the fields n forest around me...lol Oh and my BIG doggy name Babe to chase them off..
terri_emory
Alba, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 8, 2013
2:06 PM

Post #9476363

Mine have electric fencing around them. I've tried other fencing, but have had failures. Something about watermelon and sweet corn make the feral hogs around here go coockoo!

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

April 8, 2013
2:12 PM

Post #9476373

I suppose that is why crosses and people who do not like melons refer to them as ""Hog Melons""he , he,

Hoping and will be starting a few Moon & Stars and Klondike soon .
nancynursez637
Madras, OR

April 9, 2013
10:27 AM

Post #9477550

We don't have many feral hogs in Oregon, but I do understand they are a real problem in some parts of the country.
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

April 13, 2013
6:50 AM

Post #9482290

They make the best meat ever (feral hogs). I just got back to Georgia for the summer and will try again to grow them here .(melons). I can't seem to get my Texas sure shot to bring me one when I;m in Texas . He won't hardly eat pork and thinks I shouldn't . He was raised on it as were his grandparents . They lived into thier 80's and 90's with one making it to 99 years old .

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

August 21, 2013
5:24 PM

Post #9637573

Does anyone know where 'Schochler' watermelon seeds can be found? I tried Wilhite and Baker Creek. I think Baker Creek used to sell them, but not now.

I found someplace like Robert Buist Company that used to sell them, but I don't think they've been in business for 5-10 decades.

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

September 11, 2013
5:53 PM

Post #9657466

I found that the Vavilov Institute of Plant Industry in Saint Petersberg, Russia does have seeds from 2008.

Now I'm trying to get a sample from them.

USDA, no.
Dr. Todd Wehner (NCSU Raleigh) , no
SSE, no
Local Harvest .org, no
Southern Exposure Seed Exchange, no
Sandhill Preservation, no
Baker Creek, no
Willhite Melon Seed Farms , no
High Mowing Seeds, no
Sustainable Seed Company, no
Victory Seeds, no
Harris Seeds, no
Hollar Seeds, no, but he tipped me off who to ask at USDA / ARS in Griffin GA
Abbot & Cobb , no answer
Texas Watermelon Association, no answer

Citrullus lanatus 'Schochler' watermelon
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

September 11, 2013
7:30 PM

Post #9657534

If you get your hands on some , save seeds . There are several of us that would try growing them to save the strain .

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

September 12, 2013
12:27 PM

Post #9658035

Absolutely. Five people have signed up for the initial multiplication.

When we have enough, we plan to share them around with other gardeners and places like Seed Savers Exchange, Southern Exposure Seed Exchange, LocalHarvest.org, Sandhill Preservation, Baker Creek, Willhite Melon Seed Farms, Victory Seeds and Fedco. And the Texas Watermelon Association IS they ever answer their mail!

Also, we'll offer them to the USDA - Agricultural Research Unit - Plant Genetic Resources Conservation Unit seed bank, and also a North Carolina State University seed bank.
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

September 12, 2013
2:14 PM

Post #9658129

Sounds like a plan . Sure hope you have luck in finding a good supply .

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

September 13, 2013
12:22 PM

Post #9658982

I was surprised to find NO ONE who still had them. They used to be popular in the South.

The NC State U professor told me that watermelons with dark green rinds are subject to "sunburn", and that made them less popular.

"The dark watermelon cultivars went out of favor due to the sunburn problem on the top of the fruit. That type was replaced by Charleston Gray, with added resistance to anthracnose and Fusarium."

Todd Wehner
Professor of Horticultural Science
NCSU - Raleigh

DreamOfSpring

DreamOfSpring
Charleston, SC
(Zone 9a)

September 13, 2013
12:33 PM

Post #9658993

I like Charleston Gray. Many years ago I came to the conclusion that I preferred the flavor and texture of the Charleston Gray over the dark striped varieties, but around here I can only find the dark striped ones (at markets). Are you saying you don't like Charleston Gray? Is Charleston Gray an Heirloom variety?

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

September 13, 2013
12:54 PM

Post #9659012

I don't know much about watermelons - my climate isn't warm enough to grow them.

I got interested in this family heirloom since Stacy Schochler wanted to conserve the variety, but so far no one in the family has found a stash of seeds.
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

September 13, 2013
5:40 PM

Post #9659180

Just like my Mamie Ross peaches . Gone , Gone ,Gone .Google search said they were "Fair" but still my favorite . They were grown in a little town Northeast of Wichita Falls Tex . Just like areas of great beauty and tranqulity . THE tourists find them and move in . Like Red River ,N M . LOL

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

September 13, 2013
5:46 PM

Post #9659186

Long time ago the perennial version of Centaurea Americana , and the Giant blue ditch lily ... Gone to Extinction ,
I remember both only barely , You won't even find that they ever existed now ,, Like the three or four kinds of hummingbirds and a hawk I see every so often ,, they supposedly don't exist anymore either ,
But ,, I ain't pro , with the company , so I'm nuts ! yeah I know , you all already knew that ,,,
:-) I just like it that it that way ,

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Heirloom Vegetables Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Fermentation Brook 56 Oct 13, 2008 10:56 PM
Carolyn, Tell Us Please..... Brook 22 May 19, 2014 7:30 PM
Antique Ornamentals anyone? planman38104 55 Feb 24, 2009 6:05 PM
Does anyone grow Crinums? planman38104 18 May 28, 2008 11:44 PM
Your absolute favorite heirloom tomato Phred 321 Jul 30, 2011 7:54 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America