Broody hen

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

We've got our first broody hen! Surprised us because she's one that is bred not be broody. DH keeps adding more eggs under her, hoping to hurry her along. Looks like she's stopped laying and has a clutch of 9.

Next step is to candle the eggs. Then we've got to segregate her and the only place we have is the corn crib. Sure is cold in their...I'm hoping he gives her a little more time...a week or two.

Will be so much fun to watch our own little chicks hatch!

Alison

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

Allison, we have a couple banty hens who insist on laying and setting on eggs in our back porch. It is totally inclosed and we often don't know how they get in to lay eggs but they do it all the time. I think we may have to make them house hens this year. If we can get them to alert us to when they want in we can do that easily. We had a standard Aracona hen years ago who let us know every day when she was ready to lay her egg. We let her in, she marched down the hall & into the utility room where she hopped into a dog cage and laid her egg. Then she walked out to the kitchen and let me know she wanted back outside.
Can you fix a box in your house somewhere that will accomodate this hen? I hope so.

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Oh, Leaf, I love that idea! Just ran it by hubby, though, and he is definitely against it. Too bad...but we really don't have the room. I don't even have room for grow lights this year :-( It's starting to warm up, and a heat lamp will help, so I guess she'll be alright out there...

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Chicks!! We have chicks!! They started hatching today. Three so far, which is more than I thought we'd get. We never did candle the eggs. Made an after dark raid on the coop to eggnap mama and the eggs on Sunday night...just in time it seems. They are happily settled in the pen we built in the corn crib. It's cozier in there than in the coop.

One is black, one yellow, and one yellow with dark mottling. She is such a good mama...I don't think she's eaten since early yesterday.

[ Removed per member request. - Admin]

New Paris, OH

I love broody mammas. She should be eating by now and showing them exactly ewhat's good and what is not by chuckling to them. Soon the peeps will be riding on her back leaving mud streaks all over her.

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Thanks, guys! We have a total of nine chicks from nine eggs...not bad for a first timer!! Better than we expected.

Yep, she's doing all that. I was concerned about getting them to drink then we discovered that she must have shown them 'cause they're doing it. She takes food from the chick feeder and puts it in the nesting box (box is on the floor) for them to eat. Must not want them straying too far.

It's so cute hearing to her "talk" to them.

We're in the middle of a winter storm so I can't get out to watch as much as I'd like. Hope it warms up soon!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images