-
AuthorContent
soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

March 27, 2010
12:37 AM

Post #7659411

First fully opened tree peony of the season. This is a single reddish-pink.

Thumbnail by soilsandup
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Ticker
Lisbon, IA
(Zone 5a)

March 27, 2010
9:00 AM

Post #7659915

Oh be still my heart!!! That is lovely!! I can almost smell it from here!! I can't wait for you to post more!!
Allwild
North, TX

March 27, 2010
9:10 AM

Post #7659933

That's very pretty. I'm in line too.

I planted some single reds last fall so it will be a surprise if I even get a bloom this year.
SteveIndy
Greenwood, IN
(Zone 5b)

March 27, 2010
1:13 PM

Post #7660322

Those are beautiful, soils - well you beat me this year LOL. I still have a week or so for my first blooms.

:-)
marti001
Somerset, KY
(Zone 6b)

March 27, 2010
3:34 PM

Post #7660588

My peonies are only about 5 inches tall, but they are growing well. For now I have them in big pots. Don't know if they will bloom this year or not. Just have to wait and see.
soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

March 27, 2010
11:55 PM

Post #7661322

Thanks, all.

The next day, all the blooms are in various stages of opening. I did not get much blooms this year. I have read in various posts that many people do not prune their tree peonies - I find that I need to to keep it from being too lanky. There are currently three tiers in this plant - I will cut the tallest branch way back to bring it more in line with the lower branches.

Thumbnail by soilsandup

soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

March 27, 2010
11:57 PM

Post #7661323

But, I also have this one in the shade of a persimmon tree - which may be a little bit of the cause for the lankiness.

Thumbnail by soilsandup

soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

March 28, 2010
12:01 AM

Post #7661324

And, the reason why I qualified that statement is that I have a similar single red that gets morning sun and afternoon shade, and the shape is similar. This one normally opens first, but was a little bit behind this year.

Thumbnail by soilsandup

soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

March 28, 2010
12:05 AM

Post #7661328

This is the same plant last year - it was redder last year. Can't recall it being so different between the years.

Thumbnail by soilsandup

soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

March 28, 2010
12:10 AM

Post #7661329

Ticker - the single red TP doesn't have much fragrance, but this next one - a double pink smells really nice. The one thing, ( good or bad, depending on how you look at it) is that peonies change so fast from day to day. The bad - You blink an eye, and it's gone (or you go on vacation and miss the whole blooming process) The good - you go out each day and it is a whole new picture.

This is the pink TP on March 25th - one bud showing color.

Thumbnail by soilsandup

soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

March 28, 2010
12:11 AM

Post #7661330

Same day, March 25th, a little closer shot.

Thumbnail by soilsandup

soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

March 28, 2010
12:13 AM

Post #7661332

March 26th - about a quarter opened.

Thumbnail by soilsandup

soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

March 28, 2010
12:22 AM

Post #7661336

By today, March 27th, it is almost fully opened. I like how it changes from light pink in the closed bud stage and open up to the darker pink in the center.

Thumbnail by soilsandup

soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

March 28, 2010
12:26 AM

Post #7661337

A photo of the whole plant. And to think, only two days ago, only one bud showed any color. Now all the other buds are opening up right and left (figuratively and literally LoL)

Thumbnail by soilsandup

DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

March 28, 2010
2:49 PM

Post #7662686

Soils, what a lovely plant. Your tree peonies are so much nicer than the ones in arboretums here - make me look at the in a completely different light.

Donna

This message was edited Mar 29, 2010 9:04 AM
Ticker
Lisbon, IA
(Zone 5a)

March 28, 2010
3:03 PM

Post #7662712

Very nice Soils! :) Keep them coming!
SteveIndy
Greenwood, IN
(Zone 5b)

March 29, 2010
6:23 PM

Post #7665567

Soils, those are terrific! You are right about the "short lived" part, too.

All of mine are well behind where they were last year due to our colder than normal winter. The good news is that nearly every herbaceous peony I have has flowerbud(s) on it!
SteveIndy
Greenwood, IN
(Zone 5b)

March 29, 2010
6:41 PM

Post #7665617

My first one is getting closer

Thumbnail by SteveIndy

SteveIndy
Greenwood, IN
(Zone 5b)

March 29, 2010
6:46 PM

Post #7665622

White Cap - one of my favs - I got three flowers from this plant last year and looks like I'll get at least five this year.

This message was edited Mar 29, 2010 8:48 PM

Thumbnail by SteveIndy

mcgper1
(Warren)Lisbon Falls, ME
(Zone 5a)

March 29, 2010
6:53 PM

Post #7665640

Look at those Beautiful Flowers...I'm wicked Jealous Soils. Mine are still in the stick stage with the new growth buds just starting to swell to open. Thank you for those pictures.
SteveIndy
Greenwood, IN
(Zone 5b)

March 29, 2010
6:54 PM

Post #7665645

Festiva Maxima finally coming up. I am so far behind you this year, soils.

Thumbnail by SteveIndy

mcgper1
(Warren)Lisbon Falls, ME
(Zone 5a)

March 29, 2010
6:56 PM

Post #7665650

My Herbaceous Peonies in the ground aren't even at that stage Steve. Their just starting to turn red and push up through the soil. The Peonies I have in pots some have come up and budded others are still thinking about it.
SteveIndy
Greenwood, IN
(Zone 5b)

March 29, 2010
6:59 PM

Post #7665659

And Festiva Powder Puff

Thumbnail by SteveIndy

SteveIndy
Greenwood, IN
(Zone 5b)

March 29, 2010
7:02 PM

Post #7665663

And Tom Cat

Do the ones in pots do OK for you, mcgper? I think I tried that once but it is just too warm here for that and the plant died. They are fine in the ground but not for me in pots.

Thumbnail by SteveIndy

magnolialover
Southern, WI
(Zone 5a)

March 29, 2010
7:24 PM

Post #7665700

Very beautiful peonies in action soils. The size of a tree peony bloom is magnificent, well worth growing, but never, ever take a vacation away during the bloom of it, yes, you are right!

Steve you aren't far behind either. Looking forward to bloom season, keep those pictures coming.

soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

March 30, 2010
12:08 AM

Post #7666171

Thanks for the kind comments. Steve - what a variety you have growing there. Came home from work today and this is what I saw. ALL the buds have opened. I used the dusk setting on my camera because I did not like the harsh light of the flash, so the picture is a little blurry. LoL about the vacation, Magnolia. I have done that in the past.

A few years ago when one of my daughters was going to the senior ball, I went to the florist to pick up the corsages, and on a whim, I picked one of these pink tree peony blooms and gave it to her. She was thrilled - she has never been given one before, and I think she said that you really can't buy them. The single reds do not last long when you cut them, but this double pink has a fairly decent vase life.

And yes, as many of you have predicted as the standard rule of rain and peony blossoms, we are expecting a big storm tonight and more rain in the forecast all the rest of this week.

Thumbnail by soilsandup

soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

March 30, 2010
12:11 AM

Post #7666172

Donna - you should give tree peonies a try. They can be beautiful plants if you get the right variety. This was a Noid one that I got years ago so I have no idea what it is. The description was pink tree peony.
marti001
Somerset, KY
(Zone 6b)

March 30, 2010
4:44 AM

Post #7666295

Love the pink tree peony. I wouldn't care what it's name was if I could have flowers like that. I just bought the rootlets, I guess thats what you call them. They are growing well. I'm hoping mine will bloom this year.
magnolialover
Southern, WI
(Zone 5a)

March 30, 2010
7:38 AM

Post #7666718

Donna, this is a nice pink one that is a strong, strong grower. Tree peonies, with their early blooming and huge blossoms are such a treasure.

http://www.gardencrossings.com/plantname/Paeonia-Sahohime
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

March 30, 2010
8:07 AM

Post #7666810

Soils and Tracey, thank you for the wonderful suggestions for tree peonies. So gorgeous. And Steve, you have major action there. I'd better get out there and look around. Frost this morning - 60's today. Time to dormant oil the roses and lilacs.

Donna
SteveIndy
Greenwood, IN
(Zone 5b)

March 30, 2010
4:27 PM

Post #7667977

Wow soils, absolutely gorgeous. You got a great picture there.
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

March 30, 2010
4:32 PM

Post #7667985

The action is beginning here. Burma Ruby

Thumbnail by DonnaMack

DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

March 30, 2010
4:33 PM

Post #7667988

Coral Charm

Thumbnail by DonnaMack

DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

March 30, 2010
4:34 PM

Post #7667990

Moonstone. Also White Cap, Cornelia Shaylor, Mrs. FDR and others. I think I'm most excited about buds on my newest ones, like Lois and two new Festiva Maximas. I got a gorgeous bloom last year on a newly installed White Cap (thank you Steve!) and am very excited about its bloom this year.

This message was edited Mar 30, 2010 6:36 PM

Thumbnail by DonnaMack

mcgper1
(Warren)Lisbon Falls, ME
(Zone 5a)

March 30, 2010
5:44 PM

Post #7668090

I over winter my Peonies in 2 gallon pots. I find that if I lay them on their sides for the winter and then bring them in the greenhouse to dry out in Spring for a few days the roots don't rot. I do find that I can only keep them this way for 2 seasons so have to either find a home with someone else or in the ground here.
SteveIndy
Greenwood, IN
(Zone 5b)

March 30, 2010
5:53 PM

Post #7668108

You are more than welcome, Donna!! Let me know if you find more "room". And thanks for all of your generous gifts to me as well! I have to ask though - that looks like a peony root sitting on top of the soil in the last photo... Did it get frost-heaved??! :-(

Thanks mcgper - while I'm jealous you're able to do it at all, I am glad to hear it is only a temporary thing, even up where you are...I will just leave mine in the ground!
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

March 31, 2010
3:36 AM

Post #7668776

Steve - amazingly that peony didn't get heaved. I'm really happy to see Moonstone do that, actually, since I put it in several years ago, perhaps 2005 or 2006 (too deeply, no doubt) and it bloomed for the first time last year. There is such a cool story behind it. A gentleman named Murawska worked most of his life for the railroad, and once he retired focused on his real love, which was peonies. Moonstone is described as being perfection amongst peonies, with a bouquet that can scent an entire room, and with pink and white flowers simultaneously.

And - well - I have room for one more. I put reflectors around my peony beds but someone crunched a Festiva Maxima that had that unusual structure in which the eyes are at the top. It's near Moonstone and White Cap. I actually got quite inventive about placement. I put two FM's in a bed with the rose Constance Spry and amongst white and pink tulips, and they came through well - their little eyes are sticking out. So of my 14 peonies, 13 are happy and have broken dormancy. I am looking really forward to second year blooms on Lois and White Cap. And Burma Ruby! I installed some Virginia bluebells that broke dormancy, with Burma nearby and polemonium caeruleum. It should be a gorgeous combo! I promise to send pics.
SteveIndy
Greenwood, IN
(Zone 5b)

March 31, 2010
5:55 PM

Post #7670530

I am looking forward to seeing your peony garden this year, Donna - I bet it is phenomenal. Please make sure you post pictures! Glad to see the Moonstone is OK and hopefully your trampled FM will make a comeback (who did that? I would be TICKED!)

Here is Abalone Pearl getting oh-so-close

Thumbnail by SteveIndy

SteveIndy
Greenwood, IN
(Zone 5b)

March 31, 2010
6:00 PM

Post #7670541

And Tom Cat today...

It hit 85 here today and thankfully cooling off tomorrow. It is amazing however how fast everything is growing - as if making up for lost time with the late start.

Thumbnail by SteveIndy

Ticker
Lisbon, IA
(Zone 5a)

March 31, 2010
7:05 PM

Post #7670706

It was 80 or close to 80 here today too. It's still 65 out right now. Going to be really warm again tomorrow and part of Friday, then we'll cool down to mid 50s.. All of your peonies are looking fantastic. Mine are still little pips. :) And not all have shown up yet... But it is early here, heck, we could still get snow..
marti001
Somerset, KY
(Zone 6b)

March 31, 2010
7:15 PM

Post #7670742

Ya!! My Bowl of Beauty peony is growing nicely. I wish it would bloom this year, but probably not till next year. Oh Well, something to look forward to.

Thumbnail by marti001

DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

April 1, 2010
3:14 PM

Post #7672638

80 here too. Stuff is really starting to pop! All 8 of my lilacs are showing their color. I love this!

Going out to mulch beds. Pine bark mulch was on sale, mostly because, I think, fewer people are gardening. Not too much of a pain to put down, and bulbs and peonies look great against it.

I've actually hardened off and planted perennials that I started in January, sinec the ones like them already in the ground are growing. Arabis and polemonium - the earliest of my perennials here.
Ticker
Lisbon, IA
(Zone 5a)

April 1, 2010
7:33 PM

Post #7673261

Yeah, I just mulched my newest peony and lily bed today. 50 bags of mulch later this is what it looked like..

Thumbnail by Ticker

SteveIndy
Greenwood, IN
(Zone 5b)

April 2, 2010
3:24 PM

Post #7675029

Diann, that is an excellent bed - can't wait to see what you do with it!! 50 bags of mulch - sucks. I just did about 20 and that was bad enough.

Look what I found when i got home tonight - on one of my new Raspberry Chams! 80's and yuck today though finally dropping into 70's.

Thumbnail by SteveIndy

SteveIndy
Greenwood, IN
(Zone 5b)

April 2, 2010
3:27 PM

Post #7675040

Festiva Maxima - I think this one is three or four years old - finally shooting up

Thumbnail by SteveIndy

SteveIndy
Greenwood, IN
(Zone 5b)

April 2, 2010
3:32 PM

Post #7675049

Festiva Powder Puff, 3rd year. This one has lots of side buds and I think I have counted 15 total based on what I can see so far. I learned about the hybrids generally having one bud per stem and the lactifloras having sidebuds yesterday on the Adelman site.

Thumbnail by SteveIndy

Ticker
Lisbon, IA
(Zone 5a)

April 2, 2010
9:11 PM

Post #7675890

Oh man, Stevie, I can smell your peonies already! I can't wait for my Texas show to begin in earnest!! That Raspberry Charm is pretty nice. :)

This message was edited Apr 2, 2010 11:12 PM
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

April 3, 2010
6:05 AM

Post #7676475

Diann and Steve, I will never, never, ever complain about cleaning up my main peony bed again. I think it took, tops, three bags of mulch. I have a few other scattered around other places, but wow - that looks like WORK!!!

Thumbnail by DonnaMack

DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

April 3, 2010
6:11 AM

Post #7676487

Steve, your Raspberry Charm is gorgeous, and your others seem to be making up for lost time. But 85? Man, that's hot. But it must be wonderful to come home fom work to a sight like that.

I actually put reflectors around my beds to keep people from cutting through the yard. I'm peobebly lucky that I only lost one FM - I had hopes but it's not coming back. But thanks to you I have a total of three. I put them in a bed with a big old rose and lots of tulips, and they have stuck up their heads to say hi.
soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

April 4, 2010
11:18 PM

Post #7680583

All you lucky people with room to have peony beds. I have to tuck mines in here and there when I can find the space. In here is a Sarah Bernhardt and another pinkish one.

Thumbnail by soilsandup

soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

April 4, 2010
11:22 PM

Post #7680586

Not a very good photo, but this is my peony corner. There are the 2 tree peonies, one Festiva maxima, one newly planted white HP - Leto, and a newly planted red HP. I had to remove a patch of white Bletilla striata to make room for the two new plantings.

Thumbnail by soilsandup

soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

April 4, 2010
11:27 PM

Post #7680588

This might be the closest I have to a peony bed. I received a box of red peony roots last November from a friend in Minnesota, so I had to find room for it. I removed everything from this planter, and put in two of the largest clumps. There are about 3-4 buds in each plant. But even so, they have to share the planter with the lemon tree - which I was not about to dig out. LoL. I may be able to put one more peony in here, and plant shorter perennials in front.

Thumbnail by soilsandup

DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

April 5, 2010
8:17 AM

Post #7681226

Oh, but Soils, it's beautiful. A raised bed lined with brick? It makes for a lovely presentation.

Mine is a small bed cut out of the easement to the south side of my house. Since there is no real differentiation between easement land and mine, it just made sense to take it over and maintain it, which is theoretically not my responsibility. And why not, with ten extra feet added on the south side the length of the house? The fun began when I asked what I could grow on it. The answer was - anything you want, as long as you accept the possiibilty of its being dug up (and of course restored). I have three neighbors with the same option. They chose to leave it as lawn, and for some reason that's where people take their dogs.

I went the other way. 3 President Lincoln lilacs (ordered in tubes from Forest Farm at 6 bucks each and now six feet tall), Oakleaf hydrandeas (including Snowflake, which gets huge) and my main peony bed.

Do you have any lawn left? If not, you've still found a wonderful way to display your beauties.

Donna
soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

April 5, 2010
9:55 PM

Post #7683218

Thanks, Donna. When we bought the house in 1989, there was a series of raised brick planters in the back. There was a crape myrtle in each one and that was about it. Eventually, all the crape myrtles were cut down when the swimming pool was put in since they were so messy. So I got to plant what I wanted.

How neat to have some "extra" land for free. Have they ever needed to do something to the easement since you have taken over the planting of it?

I do still have a lot of lawn in the front. Here is a shot of the front yard. Note the corner of the planter on the right.

Thumbnail by soilsandup

soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

April 5, 2010
9:58 PM

Post #7683221

I bought my very first intersectional peony last October. Park Seed was having a 50% off sale - Singing in the Rain normally sold for $35, I bought it at $17.50. The pot on the right is the small pot that it came in.

Thumbnail by soilsandup

soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

April 5, 2010
10:00 PM

Post #7683223

I unpotted it to replant it in a larger pot. I was surprised at how small the plant was - I am sure glad that I did not pay $35 for it. $17.50 was expensive enough. I guess I could have bit the bullet and bought a 2-3 year old plant for much more.

Thumbnail by soilsandup

soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

April 5, 2010
10:03 PM

Post #7683227

But, I have high hopes for the plant, and envision a three foot plant with lots of yellow blooms. The problem? I really did not have a suitable place that I can showcase it. So, going back to the corner in the above front yard, I decided to dig out some of the lawn area.

Thumbnail by soilsandup

soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

April 5, 2010
10:05 PM

Post #7683230

I enlarged it a bit more this past weekend, and added some steer and chicken manure to the pile. Eventually, there will be a raised rock bed edging it.

Thumbnail by soilsandup

soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

April 5, 2010
10:08 PM

Post #7683238

This bed won't be ready to use for another few months. But I did not want to leave it bare for that long, so I planted some Easter lilies in the back corner that I have had in temporary pots for a few months.

Thumbnail by soilsandup

soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

April 5, 2010
10:15 PM

Post #7683247

So just when you are all thinking, well, this is all fine and dandy, but what does it have to do with peonies???? Here is Singing in the Rain in it's temporary 6 inch pot home, but come this fall, I will be placing it in the area where those Easter lilies are. And, I will keep my fingers crossed that there will be at least one bloom next year. Has any of you planted a Singing in the Rain that was this tiny, and when did it bloom for you?

Donna - that was the long answer to your short question about lawns LoL. I am planning to slowly convert my lawn to other plantings, one square foot at a time.

Thumbnail by soilsandup

SteveIndy
Greenwood, IN
(Zone 5b)

April 6, 2010
4:32 AM

Post #7683448

I like it, soils - the front of your house has a lot of character and you still have a lot of grass you can tear up!! Will be exciting what you do to it as you gradually add...
marti001
Somerset, KY
(Zone 6b)

April 6, 2010
8:24 AM

Post #7683967

I agree. Great looking front yard.
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

April 6, 2010
11:05 AM

Post #7684335

Fabulous! Rip it out!

As for the easement, I was anticipating being asked to lift things. Comcast sent a notice that they were coming in, and I called to ask them what day they would be here so that I could lift my plants. The very nice representative I spoke with was shocked that I thought that they would dig up anything. Apparently all of the infrastructure was in - they were just "turning it on." Nothing to dig. Apparently nothing to ever dig.

On the other hand, my in-laws live in Bensenville, a much older community. They came in and dug, and then asked what they wanted! They asked for a row of peonies, and the company installed just gorgeous ones, in a row, that were my inspiration for growing them in the first place.

This pic, from last June, gives you an idea of my extra land. Just about all the space to the left (south) of the grasses is easement. You can see oakleaf hydrangeas Snowflake and Alice in front, lilacs behind them, and the hint of rock is the peony bed. The granite rocks discourage dogs - and people - quite successfully.

Donna

Thumbnail by DonnaMack

DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

April 6, 2010
11:07 AM

Post #7684339

Another view.

Thumbnail by DonnaMack

DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

April 6, 2010
11:10 AM

Post #7684345

And the community is responsible for shoveling the sidewalk in winter. YES!

Thumbnail by DonnaMack

soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

April 7, 2010
10:20 AM

Post #7686782

Thanks, Steve and Marti. Looks like I am going to have to join the group who is getting ready for the fall 2010 peony purchases... that will give me the incentive to dig up more lawn.

Donna - that is a lovely expanse of land. I have never seen oakleaf hydrangeas before. They look like fabulous bloomers. I notice that you have lawn going up to your planting areas - how do you keep the grass from encroaching since there is no physically barrier?
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

April 8, 2010
2:11 PM

Post #7689975

Dear Soils - there is a barrier. I'm pleased that it's natural enough not to be obvious. The plants are surrounded with granite rocks. Then I use pine bark mulch under the oakleafs and extend it to the granite. Then the oakleafs tthemselves cast too much shade for the grass. I need to pull out the few straggling pieces of grass, which are leggy (weak) no more than twice a year.

I use pine bark mulch all over my yard in any area where I don't want grass to grow. I find that about 1 1/2 inches surpresses weeds, or weakens them so that they are easy to pull out. The pine bark adds to the acidity of the soil (mine is very alkaline, or it was, before 11 years of spring and fall composting) and I put Milorganite under the mulch to make certain that the notrogen is not absorbed by the mulch. But honestly, I didn't know about the nitrogen stealing theory until this yera, and my plants have always rocked without it.

I made so many mistakes in the beginning (well, the original community landscapers did) that I spent a lot of time on research. It gives me an (ever illusory) feeling of control. And then, frankly, when it comes to my garden, I'm rather on the anal side.

Donna
soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

April 9, 2010
12:04 AM

Post #7691079

In your case, being anal has resulted in a beautiful garden LoL. Thanks for the info.
Here is the last good photo I got of the pink tree peony before we got hit by a big thunderstorm on Easter Sunday. Even the ones that were not fully opened got creamed.

Thumbnail by soilsandup

soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

April 9, 2010
12:06 AM

Post #7691080

Luckily, the white tree peony in the back yard was still in the bud stage when the storm hit. Here it is on April 3rd.

Thumbnail by soilsandup

soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

April 9, 2010
12:07 AM

Post #7691082

April 5th - the day after the storm. No signs of weather damage, thank goodness.

Thumbnail by soilsandup

soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

April 9, 2010
12:08 AM

Post #7691084

And then like all peonies, in a blink of an eye, the whole plant has exploded. Here is a photo from today.

Thumbnail by soilsandup

soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

April 9, 2010
12:09 AM

Post #7691085

Close up of a few of the blooms.

Thumbnail by soilsandup

DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

April 9, 2010
4:15 AM

Post #7691209

We just crossposted. I'm sorry about your pink, but wow, both of your peonies are gorgeous. The yellow center makes the white really glow. I have a similar pallette in old garden roses. None of my peonies have that rich pink color.
SteveIndy
Greenwood, IN
(Zone 5b)

April 9, 2010
4:39 AM

Post #7691254

Oh my gosh soils those are beautiful. I am especially in love with that white one - I think that was my favorite last year too when you posted?? :-)
cathy166
Stamford, CT
(Zone 6b)

April 9, 2010
1:36 PM

Post #7692554

Soils, the tree peony looks wonderful. I am not adverse to putting a plastic bag over my buds during a storm.

Even though my tree peonies have nice buds, I don't expect them to bloom for another few weeks. The 80 degree weather we had earlier this week has dropped about 25 degrees. Who knew? I'll post when they open.
soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

April 9, 2010
5:16 PM

Post #7693100

Donna - looking forward to seeing photos of your roses.

Good memory, Steve. That was your favorite last year. For me, it is almost a toss-up, but because the pink one is fragrant, I like that one a little better. But, I have not had to prune the white one, whereas I have been pruning the pink one for the last 5 years. The white one is getting over 4 feet tall so I will have to prune it this year.

Cathy - that is a good idea - I'll try to remember that next year. Wow - 80 degrees already. We had a balmy 72 degrees today.
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

April 10, 2010
5:41 PM

Post #7695361

Soils, it will be a pleasure to send pictures of my roses. They are leafing out very nicely.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Peonies Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Fen Dan Bai Tree Peony RDT 10 Oct 4, 2012 12:02 AM
Dividing Peonies garyt 61 Nov 24, 2010 2:32 PM
Peonies and sun or lack of same butterflywi 18 Feb 15, 2011 5:21 AM
looking for peony can trade perennial plants jeaninpgh 5 Oct 7, 2012 3:04 PM
Dried out "cover" on peony buds DonnaMack 28 Jun 8, 2007 12:50 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America