Peony Season is Here!!!

Sacramento, CA(Zone 9a)

First fully opened tree peony of the season. This is a single reddish-pink.

Thumbnail by soilsandup
Lisbon, IA(Zone 5a)

Oh be still my heart!!! That is lovely!! I can almost smell it from here!! I can't wait for you to post more!!

North, TX

That's very pretty. I'm in line too.

I planted some single reds last fall so it will be a surprise if I even get a bloom this year.

Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

Those are beautiful, soils - well you beat me this year LOL. I still have a week or so for my first blooms.

^_^

Somerset, KY(Zone 6b)

My peonies are only about 5 inches tall, but they are growing well. For now I have them in big pots. Don't know if they will bloom this year or not. Just have to wait and see.

Sacramento, CA(Zone 9a)

Thanks, all.

The next day, all the blooms are in various stages of opening. I did not get much blooms this year. I have read in various posts that many people do not prune their tree peonies - I find that I need to to keep it from being too lanky. There are currently three tiers in this plant - I will cut the tallest branch way back to bring it more in line with the lower branches.

Thumbnail by soilsandup
Sacramento, CA(Zone 9a)

But, I also have this one in the shade of a persimmon tree - which may be a little bit of the cause for the lankiness.

Thumbnail by soilsandup
Sacramento, CA(Zone 9a)

And, the reason why I qualified that statement is that I have a similar single red that gets morning sun and afternoon shade, and the shape is similar. This one normally opens first, but was a little bit behind this year.

Thumbnail by soilsandup
Sacramento, CA(Zone 9a)

This is the same plant last year - it was redder last year. Can't recall it being so different between the years.

Thumbnail by soilsandup
Sacramento, CA(Zone 9a)

Ticker - the single red TP doesn't have much fragrance, but this next one - a double pink smells really nice. The one thing, ( good or bad, depending on how you look at it) is that peonies change so fast from day to day. The bad - You blink an eye, and it's gone (or you go on vacation and miss the whole blooming process) The good - you go out each day and it is a whole new picture.

This is the pink TP on March 25th - one bud showing color.

Thumbnail by soilsandup
Sacramento, CA(Zone 9a)

Same day, March 25th, a little closer shot.

Thumbnail by soilsandup
Sacramento, CA(Zone 9a)

March 26th - about a quarter opened.

Thumbnail by soilsandup
Sacramento, CA(Zone 9a)

By today, March 27th, it is almost fully opened. I like how it changes from light pink in the closed bud stage and open up to the darker pink in the center.

Thumbnail by soilsandup
Sacramento, CA(Zone 9a)

A photo of the whole plant. And to think, only two days ago, only one bud showed any color. Now all the other buds are opening up right and left (figuratively and literally LoL)

Thumbnail by soilsandup
Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Soils, what a lovely plant. Your tree peonies are so much nicer than the ones in arboretums here - make me look at the in a completely different light.

Donna

This message was edited Mar 29, 2010 9:04 AM

Lisbon, IA(Zone 5a)

Very nice Soils! :) Keep them coming!

Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

Soils, those are terrific! You are right about the "short lived" part, too.

All of mine are well behind where they were last year due to our colder than normal winter. The good news is that nearly every herbaceous peony I have has flowerbud(s) on it!

Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

My first one is getting closer

Thumbnail by SteveIndy
Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

White Cap - one of my favs - I got three flowers from this plant last year and looks like I'll get at least five this year.

This message was edited Mar 29, 2010 8:48 PM

Thumbnail by SteveIndy
(Warren)Lisbon Falls, ME(Zone 5a)

Look at those Beautiful Flowers...I'm wicked Jealous Soils. Mine are still in the stick stage with the new growth buds just starting to swell to open. Thank you for those pictures.

Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

Festiva Maxima finally coming up. I am so far behind you this year, soils.

Thumbnail by SteveIndy

My Herbaceous Peonies in the ground aren't even at that stage Steve. Their just starting to turn red and push up through the soil. The Peonies I have in pots some have come up and budded others are still thinking about it.

Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

And Festiva Powder Puff

Thumbnail by SteveIndy
Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

And Tom Cat

Do the ones in pots do OK for you, mcgper? I think I tried that once but it is just too warm here for that and the plant died. They are fine in the ground but not for me in pots.

Thumbnail by SteveIndy
Southern, WI(Zone 5a)

Very beautiful peonies in action soils. The size of a tree peony bloom is magnificent, well worth growing, but never, ever take a vacation away during the bloom of it, yes, you are right!

Steve you aren't far behind either. Looking forward to bloom season, keep those pictures coming.

Sacramento, CA(Zone 9a)

Thanks for the kind comments. Steve - what a variety you have growing there. Came home from work today and this is what I saw. ALL the buds have opened. I used the dusk setting on my camera because I did not like the harsh light of the flash, so the picture is a little blurry. LoL about the vacation, Magnolia. I have done that in the past.

A few years ago when one of my daughters was going to the senior ball, I went to the florist to pick up the corsages, and on a whim, I picked one of these pink tree peony blooms and gave it to her. She was thrilled - she has never been given one before, and I think she said that you really can't buy them. The single reds do not last long when you cut them, but this double pink has a fairly decent vase life.

And yes, as many of you have predicted as the standard rule of rain and peony blossoms, we are expecting a big storm tonight and more rain in the forecast all the rest of this week.

Thumbnail by soilsandup
Sacramento, CA(Zone 9a)

Donna - you should give tree peonies a try. They can be beautiful plants if you get the right variety. This was a Noid one that I got years ago so I have no idea what it is. The description was pink tree peony.

Somerset, KY(Zone 6b)

Love the pink tree peony. I wouldn't care what it's name was if I could have flowers like that. I just bought the rootlets, I guess thats what you call them. They are growing well. I'm hoping mine will bloom this year.

Southern, WI(Zone 5a)

Donna, this is a nice pink one that is a strong, strong grower. Tree peonies, with their early blooming and huge blossoms are such a treasure.

http://www.gardencrossings.com/plantname/Paeonia-Sahohime

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Soils and Tracey, thank you for the wonderful suggestions for tree peonies. So gorgeous. And Steve, you have major action there. I'd better get out there and look around. Frost this morning - 60's today. Time to dormant oil the roses and lilacs.

Donna

Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

Wow soils, absolutely gorgeous. You got a great picture there.

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

The action is beginning here. Burma Ruby

Thumbnail by DonnaMack
Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Coral Charm

Thumbnail by DonnaMack
Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Moonstone. Also White Cap, Cornelia Shaylor, Mrs. FDR and others. I think I'm most excited about buds on my newest ones, like Lois and two new Festiva Maximas. I got a gorgeous bloom last year on a newly installed White Cap (thank you Steve!) and am very excited about its bloom this year.

This message was edited Mar 30, 2010 6:36 PM

Thumbnail by DonnaMack

I over winter my Peonies in 2 gallon pots. I find that if I lay them on their sides for the winter and then bring them in the greenhouse to dry out in Spring for a few days the roots don't rot. I do find that I can only keep them this way for 2 seasons so have to either find a home with someone else or in the ground here.

Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

You are more than welcome, Donna!! Let me know if you find more "room". And thanks for all of your generous gifts to me as well! I have to ask though - that looks like a peony root sitting on top of the soil in the last photo... Did it get frost-heaved??! :-(

Thanks mcgper - while I'm jealous you're able to do it at all, I am glad to hear it is only a temporary thing, even up where you are...I will just leave mine in the ground!

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Steve - amazingly that peony didn't get heaved. I'm really happy to see Moonstone do that, actually, since I put it in several years ago, perhaps 2005 or 2006 (too deeply, no doubt) and it bloomed for the first time last year. There is such a cool story behind it. A gentleman named Murawska worked most of his life for the railroad, and once he retired focused on his real love, which was peonies. Moonstone is described as being perfection amongst peonies, with a bouquet that can scent an entire room, and with pink and white flowers simultaneously.

And - well - I have room for one more. I put reflectors around my peony beds but someone crunched a Festiva Maxima that had that unusual structure in which the eyes are at the top. It's near Moonstone and White Cap. I actually got quite inventive about placement. I put two FM's in a bed with the rose Constance Spry and amongst white and pink tulips, and they came through well - their little eyes are sticking out. So of my 14 peonies, 13 are happy and have broken dormancy. I am looking really forward to second year blooms on Lois and White Cap. And Burma Ruby! I installed some Virginia bluebells that broke dormancy, with Burma nearby and polemonium caeruleum. It should be a gorgeous combo! I promise to send pics.

Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

I am looking forward to seeing your peony garden this year, Donna - I bet it is phenomenal. Please make sure you post pictures! Glad to see the Moonstone is OK and hopefully your trampled FM will make a comeback (who did that? I would be TICKED!)

Here is Abalone Pearl getting oh-so-close

Thumbnail by SteveIndy
Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

And Tom Cat today...

It hit 85 here today and thankfully cooling off tomorrow. It is amazing however how fast everything is growing - as if making up for lost time with the late start.

Thumbnail by SteveIndy
Lisbon, IA(Zone 5a)

It was 80 or close to 80 here today too. It's still 65 out right now. Going to be really warm again tomorrow and part of Friday, then we'll cool down to mid 50s.. All of your peonies are looking fantastic. Mine are still little pips. :) And not all have shown up yet... But it is early here, heck, we could still get snow..

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images