Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

BirdFiles Pictures: Northern Cardinal (Cardinalis cardinalis)

Communities > Forums > BirdFiles Pictures
bookmark
Forum: BirdFiles PicturesReplies: 5, Views: 26
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
plantladylin
South Daytona, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 27, 2010
8:10 AM

Post #7659794

Northern Cardinal (Cardinalis cardinalis)

http://davesgarden.com/guides/birdfiles/go/3/

Thumbnail by plantladylin
Click the image for an enlarged view.

phoebesviolets
Land of OZ, CT
(Zone 6a)

March 27, 2010
10:00 AM

Post #7660031

You lurking up north lately, Lin? LOL! The other day, I happened to be in a local wetlands area--it was so serene. The peepers were peeping away, daffodils were blooming along the banks of a brook, lots of stuff greening up, and there was a pair of Cardinals hanging around--obviously this was their neighborhood I was intruding upon.
plantladylin
South Daytona, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 27, 2010
10:36 AM

Post #7660093

Lurking up north?

Aaah, Daffodil's ... we don't get those pretties down this way. I bet spring is beautiful in your area! One of my sisters lives in N. Georgia and she has the prettiest spring blooming bulbs, daff's, crocus, tulips etc ... gorgeous spring colors!

I bet your visit to the wetlands area was nice. It's great to get away from everyday noise of car horns honking etc., to the quiet of nature with the only "noise" being the birds singing, frogs croaking etc. My husband was off from teaching for spring break last week and we had hoped to go to the Merritt Island Nat'l Wildlife Refuge (about an hour south of us) one day, but never did make it. I love visiting parks and nature preserves so hopefully we will take a day trip one weekend soon!

The Cardinal is a very common year round bird here in my area. Many folks love the male for his vivid red color, but the female's and juveniles are pretty too.
phoebesviolets
Land of OZ, CT
(Zone 6a)

March 27, 2010
9:13 PM

Post #7661199

Thought you might be visiting up north b/c you posted so many photos of northern birds in the last few days. I had no idea that cardinals lived in Fla! See? I learned something today! LOL! The wetlands visit was unplanned, but much appreciated. It is actually just outside of my Dr's office, and I spotted it outside his office windows during my 2 hour visit, so I paid a little visit after I left. The timing couldn't have been better! I love daffodils--dunno if I could live where I couldn't enjoy them, but I guess I could do w/o the snow storms. I liked your robin pic too.
plantladylin
South Daytona, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 28, 2010
4:50 PM

Post #7662924

LOL, The Northern Cardinal is one of the most common year round birds here in this part of Florida, along with Blue Jays, Northern Mockingbird, Painted Bunting, Mourning Dove, and a few different Woodpeckers. The Robins,Cedar Waxwings, Red-winged Blackbirds, Goldfinches and a few others are winter visitors here. I love our winter visitors but know spring has arrived for sure when they begin heading back up north. All the Robins and Waxwings are gone now and I've only seen two Red-winged Blackbirds the past week. We are definitely into spring here in central Florida ... pollen is extremely high from the many trees and plants that are blooming. We had a high of 82 a couple of days ago and low humidity ... a beautiful day!

Kell

Kell
Northern California, CA
(Zone 9b)

November 10, 2010
11:33 PM

Post #8205921

What a pretty picture. I love cardinals. I used to see them in NJ not here in Ca.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other BirdFiles Pictures Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Great Horned Owl (Bubo virginianus) dave 4 Nov 10, 2010 7:18 PM
Northern Cardinal (Cardinalis c. cardinalis) EricBrian 1 Sep 2, 2011 6:30 AM
Red-bellied woodpecker (Melanerpes m. carolinus) EricBrian 0 Dec 26, 2008 12:21 AM
Carolina Wren (Thryothorus ludovicianus) DebinSC 0 Dec 26, 2008 12:28 AM
Carolina Wren (Thryothorus ludovicianus) DebinSC 1 Dec 26, 2008 12:33 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America