Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
tomatofreak
Phoenix, AZ

March 28, 2010
1:02 PM

Post #7662443

OK, here's the ringer in this question: I want to freeze the berries withOUT sugar. There's a diabetic in the house so the loads of sugar in regular frozen strawberries is a no-no. I wondered if I could add water to a freezer bag and freeze them whole. Or if I could squish some and freeze quartered berries in their own 'juice'. Any advice here? I ran across a fire sale on strawberries today and would like to use all I can.
ggd
North Saanich
Canada

March 28, 2010
3:08 PM

Post #7662723

I freeze strawberries all the time. You can either freeze them whole or cut them up. Put them individually on cookie sheets, then freeze that way. Then you can put them in individual bags and freeze them. I have a vacuum sealer that I use for my frozen foods, but good sealing bags are fine. No sugar needed at all.
Hope this helps.

Glenda
tomatofreak
Phoenix, AZ

March 28, 2010
4:27 PM

Post #7662868

Thanks, Glenda; I'm going to do just that. I have the Reynold's vac bag system and I love it. How do your berries come out when they're thawed?
ggd
North Saanich
Canada

March 28, 2010
4:40 PM

Post #7662890

Well, they are certainly not like fresh, but they are not bad. We use ours mostly in smoothies, but you can just kind of mush them up and add Splenda if you want, and they will kind of make their own juice. A bit of cinnamon is nice too.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Cooking Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cooking Questions Answered MistyMeadows 385 Dec 3, 2009 5:25 AM
Classic Cooking Answers`& Advice TwinLakesChef 8 Mar 9, 2010 4:23 PM
Memorable kitchen mishaps McCool 81 Jul 25, 2007 4:28 AM
Kraft Food's "Food & Family" magazine... WUVIE 20 Apr 2, 2009 3:09 PM
Wanted: No Fail Sponge Recipe leelovespigs 45 Dec 2, 2009 6:08 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America