Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Peonies: Ready to order for fall 2010!

Communities > Forums > Peonies
bookmark
Forum: PeoniesReplies: 18, Views: 178
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

March 28, 2010
4:32 PM

Post #7662873

2010 catalogue up:

http://www.paeonia.com/
ah3815
Kansas City, MO

March 28, 2010
5:38 PM

Post #7663024

As usual Lindsey has the wonderful oldies that are not often found in the US. I would expect her apricot "Prosperity Maud" to sell out quickly. I also noticed she had Martha W. which if you are looking for breeding stock is very fertile.

I knew she was going to have tree peonies available in a couple of years but her selection is very nice. I am expecting her to have some of the european cultivars available. I hope!! The EU/US import/export laws are making it difficult for the average person to receive plants legally from europe as most growers do not have the ability and money to wade through all of the restrictions.
Ticker
Lisbon, IA
(Zone 5a)

March 28, 2010
8:26 PM

Post #7663328

Oh lord, I'm probably going to be tearing up more of the east pasture for peonies. ;) LOL She has some beauties!!
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

March 29, 2010
6:51 AM

Post #7663896

I had a list made last year of about 10 peonies I wanted to chose from but Lindsay does not have most of them this year, another grower close to me does. But now I have added maybe 5-6 from Lindsay's list! Dont have an east pasture to tear up!
Have to get it down to no more than 6 total!

What to do! What to do!

(Shakes head in despair!)
Debsroots
Northwest, MO
(Zone 5a)

April 3, 2010
6:35 AM

Post #7676534

Check out Hollingsworth Peonies. They have some fabulous plants and send great tubers.

http://www.hollingsworthpeonies.com/
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

April 3, 2010
6:49 AM

Post #7676554

Yes they are great too but I can't be bothered to do cross border shipping!
Still have not shortened my list ( of about 20)
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

April 3, 2010
9:03 AM

Post #7676809

Several years ago, I ordered from a Canadian nursery that was vitually condemned by Garden Watchdog. Two of the three I ordered are amongst my finest. We did the sanitary certification thing. Added some cost, but I got one peony with seven eyes and one with five. They became mature plants in the wink of an eye.
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

April 3, 2010
9:14 AM

Post #7676836

Fancy, I went to her site and it is so impressive. She has a number of things that are quite rare. Mattie Lafuze is the only peony in commerce by a gentleman named Johnson, but she is asking only $30. But best of all, she labels each peony for frangrance, number of sidebuds, need for staking and, as I think you mentioned in another thread, what week they bloom.

I wasn't going to order anything this year but she could change my mind.

Thank you!

Donna

This message was edited Apr 5, 2010 11:08 AM
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

April 4, 2010
8:02 AM

Post #7678985

Well I had a long list made last year and after checking thru Parkland and D'Aoust and seeing most of what was on my list was not available and making a new list I then shortened it to about 10 , copied all the pics so I could see them close by each other and came up with:

Attar of Roses, Do Tell, Illini Belle and Marie Lemoine ( all from D'Aoust)

Torpilleur and Buckeye Belle are still possibilities from Parkland .

( Parkland is a nice nursery several hours drive north from me which also has pretty good peony roots)
The problem with making a list the year before from the catalogues is of course that they may not be available from that grower for several more years!

I still want Julia Rose but not prepared to pay the price! Might be able to get it locally when the expensive ITOHs go on sale. I gather the ones the local nurseries are carrying are tissue culture and are pretty good although not the same as buying a nice root with multiple eyes.

ah3815
Kansas City, MO

April 4, 2010
6:46 PM

Post #7680101

For the Canadian's on here do not forget Mano Capano's site
http://www.pivoinescapano.com

In trying to locate the site I discovered she has a cupcakes named for peonies. Also mentions special ingredients made with peonies. Heaven would be a peony scented frosting.

But I must cry because it appears they do not deliver.

Mano does have some of the historic peonies. Look at the one called Dragon's Nest.
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

April 4, 2010
7:29 PM

Post #7680197

Thankd for that reminder!
ah3815
Kansas City, MO

April 4, 2010
7:55 PM

Post #7680268

I did notice that she did not list any of the ones from the 1800's that she used to have. However it appears that she may be redoing her fields.
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

April 5, 2010
9:11 AM

Post #7681363

Ah3815 - defintely worthy of tears! Love the way the peonies are photographed - it gives them a different and interesting perspective.

Donna
SteveIndy
Greenwood, IN
(Zone 5b)

April 5, 2010
7:14 PM

Post #7682852

She does have a cool site - I may have to buy a few from her. I like the way she describes bloomtime by "week" - I have several that she offers already and it gives me a better perspective of what I should order (weeks 3, 4, 5). I also like her plant descriptions. Some really unique varieties as well. Thanks for sharing, fancy.
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

April 6, 2010
11:13 AM

Post #7684348

Yes, thank you again Fancy. And I agree, Steve, that week by bloom thing is great, and makes it possible, as you said, to get perspective on actual bloom times.

Donna
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

April 6, 2010
11:22 AM

Post #7684387

I wish more sellers would use that information about week of bloom- I am trying to buy early bloomers and I like to have more specific information than early -middle and late.
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

April 6, 2010
2:43 PM

Post #7684795

That's exactly what I was trying to do Fancy - unsuccesfully!
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

April 6, 2010
4:21 PM

Post #7685003

Maybe you could use the succession of bloom chart to work it out a bit? Only problem is it is based on when Red Charm blooms so if you dont know that for your area might not be a lot of help.
ah3815
Kansas City, MO

April 6, 2010
7:37 PM

Post #7685516

You must remember with caution that bloom dates are only estimates. I don't know about everyones season last year but mine was very mixed up. The late bloomers were early. The early ones were late. My final bloom was from a tree peony that normally bloomed in mid-April.

This year it is a race between some of my tree peonies and one of my mediteranian specie peonies.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Peonies Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Fen Dan Bai Tree Peony RDT 10 Oct 4, 2012 12:02 AM
Dividing Peonies garyt 61 Nov 24, 2010 2:32 PM
Peonies and sun or lack of same butterflywi 18 Feb 15, 2011 5:21 AM
looking for peony can trade perennial plants jeaninpgh 5 Oct 7, 2012 3:04 PM
Dried out "cover" on peony buds DonnaMack 28 Jun 8, 2007 12:50 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America