Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Cut Flowers and Floral Design: Using asparagus fern in flower arrangements

Communities > Forums > Cut Flowers and Floral Design
bookmark
Forum: Cut Flowers and Floral DesignReplies: 3, Views: 27
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
wlmicroman
Convoy, OH
(Zone 5b)

March 29, 2010
6:46 AM

Post #7663882

I am starting a cutting garden this year for the first time. I have received an asparagus fern (which I kept in my basement the past winter) and desire to use shoots/branches from the plant in arrangements. Since I am brand new at this, I need help with where do I cut, do I remove small branches to create a long stem to go into the vase, etc. Any help will be appreciated.
soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

March 29, 2010
10:17 AM

Post #7664383

The standard rule of thumb is to remove everything that is going to be under the waterline. Asparagus ferns do make a nice addition to floral arrangements. I have not used it in the past, but someone gave me a pot last year so it should be big enough to cut this year.

Good luck with your cutting garden. I plant mostly cut flowers, but since I don't have a cutting garden, I just interspersed it all in the regular garden, along with fruit trees.
wlmicroman
Convoy, OH
(Zone 5b)

March 31, 2010
10:12 AM

Post #7669526

Soilsandup - thanks for your help

pastime
Waterman, IL
(Zone 5a)

April 1, 2010
6:04 AM

Post #7671475

Asparagus fern will add a nice, whispy touch to your arrangements. It's a good idea to remove all leaves below the water line, especially if you use roses.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Cut Flowers and Floral Design Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Cut Flowers and Floral Design Forum dave 40 Apr 24, 2008 2:40 PM
Starting us off Wvdaisy 36 Apr 24, 2007 9:24 PM
My Tropical displays. celt33040 8 Apr 23, 2007 12:26 PM
Articles and tips about processing cut flowers.... gemini_sage 23 Aug 7, 2012 4:11 AM
Vases Lenjo 83 Jul 31, 2008 2:11 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America