Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
michaelangelo
Brainerd, MN

March 29, 2010
11:17 AM

Post #7664490

In the past i have always used Schultz Seed Starter mix but this year I decided to try not only using it with some seeds but start some in a plain (no fertilizer) mix. Also, I think I read from some others here that it was better to start tomatoes and peppers without fertilizers. NOW the seedlings with the fertilizer all look pretty good but the oneds without are much smaller and are yellowing. I assume I need to get them some food - fast - but don't want to shock or overfeed them. All i really have on hand is MG regular and Schultz regular fert crystals, and probably some triple phosphate. What do I give these guys to nourish them? Also, was it not such a good idea to start seeds without a fertilized mix - that seems to be a point of debate here.
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

March 29, 2010
12:21 PM

Post #7664619

I'd give them the Schultz or MG but dilute it to 1/4 strength (if they're still very small) or 1/2 strength if they're a little bigger. As far as starting seeds in a mix w/o fertilizer that is fine--the seed comes with a store of energy that lasts for a little while after it sprouts (that's what those first seed leaves are for). I usually start fertilizing when they get their 2nd set of true leaves. If you use a seed starting mix that has some fertilizer in it, all that happens is you buy yourself a little more time before you would need to start fertilizing.
pgt
Chalfont, PA
(Zone 6b)

March 29, 2010
2:30 PM

Post #7664905

I use diluted fish emulsion, watering from the bottom.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Seed Germination Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Propagation: Why are some seedlings "leggy"? gardendragon 18 May 8, 2013 6:47 PM
Welcome to the Seed Germination Discussion Forum! dave 20 Dec 23, 2009 2:56 PM
Jiffy Mini-Greenhouse for starting seeds PeggieK 188 Mar 21, 2013 11:19 AM
Stratification kimmers 27 Mar 26, 2014 4:37 PM
Sowing in Spaghnum moss Laurie1 3 Mar 8, 2007 11:55 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America